wow ... Pats D discovers Pressure strategy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: wow ... Pats D discovers Pressure strategy

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bringing the house against a JAG QB with a bad line is not a sustainable strategy.  If we try that kind of crap against Gomer or some other legitimate QB we will get toasted.  This is football 101.  You can't just blitz good QBs repeatedly.  The Patriots exploited a weakness of their opponent yesterday, but I don't expect to see what we saw in the 2nd half yesterday on a regular basis.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I would think most smart fans know this. I would expect it again maybe vs Big Ben. He has been terrible and Im sure his line is tired of blocking for him and his wild, reckless playing style.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bringing the house against a JAG QB with a bad line is not a sustainable strategy.  If we try that kind of crap against Gomer or some other legitimate QB we will get toasted.  This is football 101.  You can't just blitz good QBs repeatedly.  The Patriots exploited a weakness of their opponent yesterday, but I don't expect to see what we saw in the 2nd half yesterday on a regular basis.

[/QUOTE] Nobody is calling for repeated blitzing, but it's got to be in the mix---certainly more than it has been--- or else even mediocre QBs, like Geno Smith, can torch the Pats secondary. Our front four rarely gets pressure, so even against the good ones you've got to hurry their throws to give the guys in back a chance. Even Gomer, with the quick release, throws picks when hurried and gets the ball stripped away from time to time. Our LBs seem to have trouble incoverage so you might as well cut them loose occasionally. I realize that you can get burned from time to time, but blitzing also causes fumbles and picks and like yesterday it turned the game around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah....  been begging for this for weeks.  pats have the athletic players.   Qb looks like different player under pressure.

Thank you, D for using your players strengths...   not waiting around "bending and not breaking".   

[/QUOTE] You've been begging for this strategy for weeks, I've been screaming for it for years! It's the best way to help out a mediocre secondary since the front four generate little pressure and the LBs are lousy in coverage. We had zero sacks in the first half against a QB who had been sacked 26 times during the season and we were down 17-3. Then in the second half we start blitzing and sack him 6 times and pick off a couple of passes. Hello! Maybe we don't have to always be carved up by second rate QBs like Geno Smith!

[/QUOTE]

Totally get that frustration.   Although I didnt think they were as stacked with athletic talent as much as they are this year...  So ...  Agree with some that there is some risk involved if you have Manning waiting for it  with the perfect play called.

So surprise element is important and come up with new wrinkles here and there.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Belichick's explanation when asked whether they blitzed more:

I think it kind of worked out that way yesterday. Part of it was, I think the conditions played a little bit of a part in that but also the game plan. It looked like Miami was having more success throwing the ball in the inside part of the field on shorter throws. When we were able to pressure with a middle of the field safety then more of those throws went to the perimeter, which were harder. Alfonzo [Dennard] and Logan [Ryan] and Devin [McCourty] and Kyle [Arrington] all made real good plays or were right there on the coverage on the sideline. It just seemed more evident as the game went on that when we pressured and gave that look that [Ryan] Tannehill was going to try to get the ball there as opposed to on the inside part of the field and it was just tougher to throw and our guys were doing a good job defending it. Logan broke up the route to [Charles] Clay there before the half going down the sideline and Kyle had one right in front of our bench and Logan had one to [Mike] Wallace there right in front of their bench and Alfonzo was right there on a couple back-shoulder throws. I think as we had some success with it and it became apparent kind of what they were going to do with it or it looked like what their plan on it was, we felt like that was a good option for us. A couple times we got pressure and he had to hold the ball for a second and we were able to hit him so that helped it out too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Belichick's explanation when asked whether they blitzed more:

I think it kind of worked out that way yesterday. Part of it was, I think the conditions played a little bit of a part in that but also the game plan. It looked like Miami was having more success throwing the ball in the inside part of the field on shorter throws. When we were able to pressure with a middle of the field safety then more of those throws went to the perimeter, which were harder. Alfonzo [Dennard] and Logan [Ryan] and Devin [McCourty] and Kyle [Arrington] all made real good plays or were right there on the coverage on the sideline. It just seemed more evident as the game went on that when we pressured and gave that look that [Ryan] Tannehill was going to try to get the ball there as opposed to on the inside part of the field and it was just tougher to throw and our guys were doing a good job defending it. Logan broke up the route to [Charles] Clay there before the half going down the sideline and Kyle had one right in front of our bench and Logan had one to [Mike] Wallace there right in front of their bench and Alfonzo was right there on a couple back-shoulder throws. I think as we had some success with it and it became apparent kind of what they were going to do with it or it looked like what their plan on it was, we felt like that was a good option for us. A couple times we got pressure and he had to hold the ball for a second and we were able to hit him so that helped it out too. 

[/QUOTE]

Perfect..  Meaning when you go through these comments it is a lot of ambiguity.   Specificity without being specific.

Translation....   "We blitzed a lot, got a bunch of sacks,  a fumble, 2 picks,   Holy Sh1!t Eureeka...  We need more of that.....!!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Actually, BB reveals a lot about his game plan there.  Pressure the middle of the field to force Tannehill to make tougher throws to the perimeter, then blitz, since he can't beat the blitz by making the easier throw over the middle.  Shows how interrelated things are and how the game plan is more complex than "just blitzing."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Actually, BB reveals a lot about his game plan there.  Pressure the middle of the field to force Tannehill to make tougher throws to the perimeter, then blitz, since he can't beat the blitz by making the easier throw over the middle.  Shows how interrelated things are and how the game plan is more complex than "just blitzing."

[/QUOTE]

I thought that was pretty detailed for BB. He basically was like, if we blitz up the gut, he cant throw to his hot read over the middle and will try to force a throw outside that is harder to make and Arrington was doing a good job staying with Wallace underneath. (boy that guy is overated)

I just like it because you have to realize how easy it was for years to teams slice and dice us. That bend but dont break is ok when you use it as a changeup and in spurts but we were going WHOLE games like this for years! Its almost like tying one hand behind your back. You put film out game after game of NO blitzing and QBs come in confidence and get rythms eary and weve seen that the past 4 to 5 years. You need to mix it up here n there if nothing else to give the offense something ELSE to think about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True...  But the key to your commentary is that the blitzing is the central ingredient in the discussion and the outcome of the play.  Meaning the type of blitz that BB is kind of dissecting is what we want him to do , along with other weakness identification or tendency specific pressure.

Break it down,  BB....  We support you 100%.  But don't leave out the pressure part... lol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Dolphins O Line is pourous, our D line was terrible in the first half when their O Line was fresh, we can't expect that kind of ease every week and will need to improve.

[/QUOTE]

wow, I find myself agreeing with Wozzy a lot today...the flip side of the coin....Tanneyhill does not play well under pressure. The Phins OL is the worst in the NFL...yet the PAts could not exert pressure with a 3 or 4 man rush...they had to bring a 5th and 6th rusher

I prefer a pressure defense over a bend but do not break defense...I have faith in both Talib and Dennard in single coverage with McCourty over the top help. I also still have confidence with Arrington/Ryan as the 3rd DB. Bring Gregory and/or Hightower for QB pressure

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can't run a two gap defense if you don't have defensive tackles to play it, instead we have one gap, attacking guys.  It's definitely not a positive thing... we need someone to emerge at NT or Kelly to be healthy.

[/QUOTE]

When Kelly was still a consideration Rusty and Siliga was nowhere to be seen...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Campbell was way too comfortable yesterday....   Jason Campbell..lol.