Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012

It's that time of year again, when fans latch their wagon onto certain players who they think will shine at the next level. I've suggested to others recently to post their picks, some will brush off these suggestions but will be the first to tell you how easy the draft is.  It will be interesting to see who accepts this challenge.

There's a large degree of luck and junk science involved in my picks, a lot of it is gut instinct.  Last year I had Nate Solder as the top rated player at the highest position of need for the Pats and I missed on every player after that. 

Just like last year I post the biggest position of need first so in this case I'll be starting on defense, specifically D tackle.  This should be the final touch to this rebuilt defense we've all been watching take shape, of course it's just as likely BB will go offense just to shock us.

Anyhow there are some position changes by players that probably haven't been discussed yet, I have a linebacker converting to a safety and more. Also just like always the top rated positions on my board won't look anything like Kiper's or McShay's but I can guarantee you I will stick my neck out to defend my picks instead of agreeing that everybody is good and bad at the same time like they do.

I base my depth chart off the Patriot's and their needs and I primarily take guys who worked out at the combine or pro day, if they didn't work out any where you won't see them here.  This means a 3/4 defense, I broke my WR's into groupings, traditional strong safety and free safety etc...  you don't have to agree but it's all in fun.

This is my depth chart with the top being best, bottom being leftovers that might be finds late in the draft.

DEFENSE:

D Line

Defensive Tackle:

Michael Brockers 6’5”/316

Devon Still 6’5”/303

Mike Martin 6'2" /300

Defensive End:

Fletcher Cox 6’4”/298

Markus Kuhn 6’5”/299

Linebacker

ILB:

(WILL)

Luke Kuechly 6’3”/242

Tank Carder 6’2”/236

Mychal Kendricks 5’11”/239

(SAM)

Dont’a Hightower 6’2”/265

Jake Bequette 6’4”/274

OLB:

Bruce Irvin 6’3”/245

Melvin Ingram 6’1”/264

Miles Burris 6’2”/246

Andre Branch 6’4”/259

Shea McClellin 6’3”/260

Defensive backfield

Corner:

Josh Robinson 5’10”/199

Stephan Gilmore 6/190

Coty Sensabaugh 5’11”/189

Janorius Jenkins 5’10”/193

Morris Claiborne 5’11”/188

Safety:

(Strong)

Mark Barron 6’1”/213

Harrison Smith 6’2”/213

George Iloka 6’4”/225

Mychal Kendricks 5’11”/239

(Free)

Jamell Fleming 5’11”/206

Alfonzo Dennard 5’10/210

Trumaine Johnson 6’2”/204

I'm trying Kendrick's out at strong safety, linebacker or anywhere. Iloka and Irvin might be the best SS and OLB in the draft in my book so don't be surprised if they go higher than expected, any or all might be had in the middle rounds. Some larger corner prospects would make good free safeties.  

While only one of my picks became a Patriot last season, many of my other position picks went on to solid rookie starts. 

I'll post the offense soon, cheers, bourbon is kicking in...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012

Radical Wozzy!

I guess this deserves its own thread, and isn't just a continuation of the already existing draft thread (where it's been 'that time of year again' for months) since you vear away from the norm slightly.

Most people mock 5 of your 7 lineman in the top 25, 6 of your 10 linebackers in the top 50 and 9 of your 12 DB's in the top 70, so its not a huuuge break for the normal 'big boards'

Bruce Irving is a one-trick pony with character issues, if we want to replace some of what Mark Anderson did (2nd half the year as a hybrid DE/OLB) I'd take a flyer on him at the end of rd 3, maybe rd 2 if MANY other rushers are off the board and he interviews great.

Kendricks is a darn good football player. I could see him as someone who brings the wood as a SS (4.4's 40 time... dang) and can sub in for Spikes on some passing downs, shadow a big WR/TE who has a slower 40 time, etc. I'd take a long look at him at pick 48 if we missed on Barron, Smith, Dennard, Hightower, McClellin. I like him better than Zach Brown.

I like Mike Martin A LOT. He is a guy I was hoping would be one of a group of DT/DE's that slips to the end of the 3rd. The others are Winn, Wolfe and Crick. I'd like two of these DE/DT types.

Iloka and Johnson are solid FS types I think we could trade down from 63 to get one of (or Markelle Martin) in rd 3, picking up an extra 4th or 5th.

McClellin at 48 is a dream pick for me. A guy with Bruschi/Vrabel potential.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Good stuff Wozz, I'd take any DT listed with the 1st pick, and agree with you both on Kendricks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I would be so excited if we could get one of Derek Wolfe, Jared Crick, Mike Martin or Billy Winn at the end of rd 3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I accept your challenge and will limit myself to players I think the Pats have a shot at

Players I think have pro-bowl potential in their careers

DT/DE:

Derek Wolfe
    Michael Brockers

OLB/DE:

Vinny Curry
    Andre Branch

CB/S:

Mark Barron
    Josh Robinson

WR/TE:

Marvin McNutt
    Coby Fleener

Players I think will be solid starters:

DT/DE:

Kendell Reyes
    Fletcher Cox
    Devon Still
    Mike Martin
    Nick Jean-Baptiste
    Kheeston Randall

OLB/DE:

Whitney Mercilus
    Nick Perry
    Jack Bequette
    Shea McClellin
    Miles Burris
    Cordarro Law

CB/S:

Geogre Iloka
    Trumaine Johnson
    Jayron Hosley
    Alfonzo Dennard
    Leonard Johnson
    Brandon Boykin
    DeQuan Menzie
    Dwight Bentley

WR/TE:

Marvin Jones
    Brian Quick
    Stephen Hill
    Joe Adams
    TY Hilton
    Ryan Broyles
    Orson Charles

Some sleepers I'm keeping an eye on

DT/DE:

JR Sweezy

OLB/DE:

Olivier Vernon

CB/S:

Tashaun Gipson
    Neiko Thorpe
    Blake Gideon

WR/TE:

Chase Ford
    Damarlo Belcher

ST:

Chris Rainey

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Time for offense, truthfully I did a little less indepth research into offense as I did defense but stand by my picks.  

Skill positions like RB and WR are plentiful because I go by the notion that these guys can be found in the late rounds and are a dime a dozen.  I assigned my WR's by size/weight/postion.

Offense:

WR

Slot:

Jarius Wright 5’10”/182

T.Y Hilton 5’10”/183

TJ Graham 5’11”/188

Kashiff Moore 5’9”/180

Keshawn Martin 5’11”/188

Travis Benjamin 5’10”/172

Devon Wylie 5’9”/187

Possession:

Justin Blackmon 6’1”/207

Kendall Wright 5’10”/196

AJ Jenkins 6’/190

Chris Owusu 6’/196

Jerrell Jackson 6’/196

Big:

Michael Floyd 6’3”/220

Marvin McNutt 6’2”/216

Brian Quick 6’3”/220

Nick Toon 6’1”/215

Tommy Streeter 6’4”/219

Stephen Hill 6’4”/215

JR Hemingway 6’1”/225

Devier Posey 6’1”/211

Marvin Jones 6’2”/200

RB

Starter:

Trent Richardson 5’9”/228

David Wilson 5’9”/206

Doug Martin 5’9”/223

Bernard Pierce 5’11”/218

Robert Turbin 5’9”/222

Lamar Miller 5’10”/212

Vick Ballard 5’10’/219

Cyrus Gray 5’10”/206

3rd Down:

LaMichael James 5’8”/194

Chris Rainey 5’8”/180

Isaiah Pead 5’10”/197

TE

Tight end:

Coby Fleener 6’6”/247

Michael Egnew 6’5”/252

Dwayne Allen 6’3”/255

Orson Charles 6’2”/251

Ladrius Green 6’5”/238

Fullback/H-Back:

James Hanna 6’3”/252

Drake Dunsmore 6’2”/241

Evan Rodriguez 6’1”/239

O-Line

Center:

Michael Brewster 6’4”/312

Quenton Saulsberry 6’2”/304

Guard:

Dave Decastro 6’4”/316

Kevin Zeitler 6’4”/314

Rishaw Johnson 6’3”/313

Tackle:

Matt Kalil 6’7”/306

Tom Compton 6’5”/314

Riley Reiff 6’6”/313

Brandon Mosley 6’5”/314

Donald Stephenson 6’5”/312

Andrew Datko 6’6”/315

I didn't rate QB's as the Pat's really don't need one but if by chance they trade/cut Hoyer and we take a QB late in the draft I like the look of Dan Persa from NorthWestern, yeah he needs to put on about 20 pounds of muscle but then so did Tom Brady, if we grab him late or as an undrafted free agent I think he'd be a good fit.  

James Hanna is more receiver than tight end but very athletic so he moves up my board. 

Donald Stephanson at Tackle is a poor mans Solder, not real strong but athletic and technically sound with room for improvement so he moves up.

Cheers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I agree with your groupings for the most part except for your Centers, where Konz is clearly the cream of the crop and I'd take Molk, Blake and Jones before Brewster.

Also like Joe Adams as a slot/return man over almost all the Wr's you got there...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012:
    [QUOTE]I agree with your groupings for the most part except for your Centers, where Konz is clearly the cream of the crop and I'd take Molk, Blake and Jones before Brewster. Also like Joe Adams as a slot/return man over almost all the Wr's you got there...
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Crick to me is a 4/3 defensive end so he doesn't fit in our system as good as he is, too many people here are mocking defensive ends who can't possibly play outside linebacker in the 3/4. 

Konz in my estimation is slightly overrated and not even on my board, he gets too much pub because he plays for Wisconsin which pumps out O linemen but he's not even the best lineman on his team, I'll give that nod to Zeitler.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012 : rb/wrs may be-in ur mind at least-dime a dozen and available in later rounds a plenty but the good ones are not...
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Yep that's the Brockton Blockbuster...

RB's like Arian Foster go undrafted, so do WR's like Wes Welker... here is a list of undrafted free agents, I say RB's and WR's because there are almost never any 300+ pound D tackles sitting there undrafted but plenty of average sized guys late in the draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012 : Crick to me is a 4/3 defensive end so he doesn't fit in our system as good as he is, too many people here are mocking defensive ends who can't possibly play outside linebacker in the 3/4.  Konz in my estimation is slightly overrated and not even on my board, he gets too much pub because he plays for Wisconsin which pumps out O linemen but he's not even the best lineman on his team, I'll give that nod to Zeitler.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I've never once used 'Crick' and 'OLB' in the same sentence.

He could be an upgrade to Deaderick, but would basically replace Ellis/Wright as a 3-4 DE and help in 4-3 scheme's as well, where I think he is more of a DT than a DE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

and Konz performed badly on the bench press and is probably not as good as Zeitler, who may get picked all of 5-20 spaces after him

but he is a lot better than Michael Brewster

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think Crick could/will be a solid pro for some team, but I don't think it's NE... he's not a 34 kid in NE's scheme or a 2 gapper... very much undersized for that role (279 combine/276 pro day).  Now if they choose to go more base 43 then i think he makes more sense.

Konz is a solid Top 40/Rd 1 kid IMO, very good size and power, strong at the POA, good feet and can get to the 2nd level, combo's well, also effective pulling/operating in space, good run blocker, well schooled/good pedigree etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]I think Crick could/will be a solid pro for some team, but I don't think it's NE... he's not a 34 kid in NE's scheme or a 2 gapper... very much undersized for that role (279 combine/276 pro day).  Now if they choose to go more base 43 then i think he makes more sense. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Crick is too slow to cover tight ends, too small to play D Line on a 3/4. His only future is a 4/3 defense, and he may be the best end available but you can't squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

I would almost never take a center with a high 1st round pick, they're usually guys that couldn't make it at tackle or guard.  Don't get me wrong I'm not besmirching the great legacy of centers, just not placing them any higher of importance than guards.  

Konz IMO is overrated, he's 6'5" at a position where you'd almost rather the guy was a little shorter, nobody knows how mobile he is because he didn't run the forty or shuttle at either the combine or Wisconsin's pro day. I think Konz possibly has the best agent in the NFL.

I'll take Brewster instead and not spend 1st round money getting him, time will tell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

bump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Common, bumping your own self inflated thread? I understand that you feel your opinion is special, but its not practical nor necessary for all of us to start our own mock thread. Sorry, had to be said.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Common, bumping your own self inflated thread? I understand that you feel your opinion is special, but its not practical nor necessary for all of us to start our own mock thread. Sorry, had to be said.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

I'll discontinue bumping this thread (which I've done once) after the draft is over, I find it easier to reach out and find it on draft day, if that's a problem I suggest you blow it out your rear.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Common, bumping your own self inflated thread? I understand that you feel your opinion is special, but its not practical nor necessary for all of us to start our own mock thread. Sorry, had to be said.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

Yet you felt the need to offer your opinion? Hmmm. News flash Dubber, we care more about his opinion on the Patriots then your opinion on nothing. Next time bring something to the table or don't bother.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wozzy,

Without having enough time to put my own names out here I will offer my opinion on the best mock draft I have see up to date. Pat Kirwan's latest mock would make me a happy fan in 10 days.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/fullnflmockdraft-PatKirwan

#27 Reyes
    #31 McClellin
    #48 Harrison Smith
    #63 Antonio Allen

Your not big on reyes, but if you have not done so take another look at this kids measurables. He has abnormal skill sets for a man of his size. If we don't take Reyes with that 1st pick I would take Still, as he looks like a strong 2 gapper at 6ft5 300. 

McClellin at #31 might sound like a bit of a reach but the kids stock has soared as he sounds like a "football" guy with a great motor and work ethic. I'd be happy moving down to get him and gaining an extra pick.

Kirwan has us going with 2 safeties in the 2nd rd and honestly I would be fine with that as I think it was the weakest unit on the team last year. I like H-Smith but if we skip him and take Allen or Iloka in the 2nd we could still add a possible starter by mid season.

I say trade #48 for Steven Jackson or a quality starting Rb and then take Iloka or Allen later. If we could net a starting DE/DT, a starting DE/OLB, a starting RB, and a possible starting safety(6ft2 with nose for the ball in Allen) this draft would go down as a win imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012 : I'll discontinue bumping this thread (which I've done once) after the draft is over, I find it easier to reach out and find it on draft day, if that's a problem I suggest you blow it out your rear.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    LMAO!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Wozzy, Without having enough time to put my own names out here I will offer my opinion on the best mock draft I have see up to date. Pat Kirwan's latest mock would make me a happy fan in 10 days. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/fullnflmockdraft-PatKirwan #27 Reyes #31 McClellin #48 Harrison Smith #63 Antonio Allen Your not big on reyes, but if you have not done so take another look at this kids measurables. He has abnormal skill sets for a man of his size. If we don't take Reyes with that 1st pick I would take Still, as he looks like a strong 2 gapper at 6ft5 300.  McClellin at #31 might sound like a bit of a reach but the kids stock has soared as he sounds like a "football" guy with a great motor and work ethic. I'd be happy moving down to get him and gaining an extra pick. Kirwan has us going with 2 safeties in the 2nd rd and honestly I would be fine with that as I think it was the weakest unit on the team last year. I like H-Smith but if we skip him and take Allen or Iloka in the 2nd we could still add a possible starter by mid season. I say trade #48 for Steven Jackson or a quality starting Rb and then take Iloka or Allen later. If we could net a starting DE/DT, a starting DE/OLB, a starting RB, and a possible starting safety(6ft2 with nose for the ball in Allen) this draft would go down as a win imo.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Truthfully I like Reye's at that 3/4 rush end position, I just don't like the idea of taking him that high. He projects to me as like a Shaun Ellis type player, he is certainly strong enough to hold the line but I don't feel we need to fill that position after signing Fanene. 

My preference would be Brocker's, Still or even taking a gamble on Poe. These guys could slide inside and play nose or either end position, something a lighter Cox or Reyes can't.  

Bigger, more dominate would be great next to Wilfork.

Barron, Smith, or Iloka are so close in terms of talent. Barron has the most experience in the big conference, Iloka the most talent and Smith was a star at Notre Dame which isn't easy and usually translates to a good Pro. Any of them would be a great pick health provided IMO...  Allen isn't on my board so that tells you how I feel about him.

McClellin is on my board, for an outside linebacker to jump from college to the Pro's is tough assignment.  In a nutshell, if BB takes a guy high in the draft or even as a late pick, I still feel justified that I had him on my board. Even if the Pats don't get my guys, I still watch their career over time and wonder what if? 

Clay Matthews was my outside linebacker pick some years back, people thought he was a reach, didn't start at USC, had a lot of detractors...  Reading the ridiculous posts by the "Belichick is a bad GM" mob is laughable. Very few had Matthews on their radar coming out of that draft and he was a reach at 26, years later and everyone is an expert. 

I say that if you like a guy, draft him right away, don't hope and pray that he falls into the next round. I have to think BB is of the same mindset or he would have waited another round before selecting Logan Mankin's or Ras Dowling.

I'd love to have Steven Jackson but we need to wait for that guy to get cut (ala Corey Dillon) or get him for a reasonable pick (steal like Moss) for that let's be patient and see how the draft plays out.  It may not happen until after the draft or even after camp cuts but don't sweat it, BB will bring in somebody...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012 : Yet you felt the need to offer your opinion? Hmmm. News flash Dubber, we care more about his opinion on the Patriots then your opinion on nothing. Next time bring something to the table or don't bother. Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] Yet you feel compelled to chirp in with your worthless opinion as well...Now we've come full circle. And your welcome for me bumping this thread again. At ease champ.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to "Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012": Yet you feel compelled to chirp in with your worthless opinion as well...Now we've come full circle. And your welcome for me bumping this thread again. At ease champ. Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE] 

Thanks for electing yourself arbiter of what is acceptable to post, we'll try not to disappoint you again your (way too) highness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2012":   Thanks for electing yourself arbiter of what is acceptable to post, we'll try not to disappoint you again your way too highness. Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE] OK. Thats much better. Appology accepted. Carry on.