Wozzy's Draft Guide 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2013

thanks I enjoy your posts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Any updates? I'd think if Sanders is signed it should change things up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Phil, I agree. I think they look BPA at each pick.  I really think they will try hard to move out of 29.  I see then going DE/DT, CB, WR.  Contracts for Love, Pryor, and Deadrick are up after the year. Same for Talib on a one year, they could go CB first.

What if Wozzy is right on the 3/4 base, DT might still be in play with a draft that has a lot good DTs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Action-Jackson. Show Action-Jackson's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

So wozzy do you narrow the names down as you go along? I look at everyone's mock I as you would like a nose with our first pick. Heck even if we get phil Taylor I'd like another d tackle with pick 1.

Yeah I would have done it already but I'm in the middle of moving, I'll try to post more position groups before the draft and maybe even a final Patriots mock.

By the time your moved, the fluidity of the Pats draft will be clearer anyway. By then, a Pick your final picks mock. Final picks with Little discussion would work for me. Then a tally. Fun stuff to see how close we come on some picks.

On moving: Many years ago my Pop brought a Piano home and there were about 6-7 guys huffing and puffing halfway up the front porch. Many years later we upgraded and One guy came in with a 2 wheeler cart and tipped it over and just walked the Piano out the door into his truck backed up to the porch. That laugh never ends .... The thing is, the piano had some history as it was a Wedding gift from a Lord Wakefield to his daughter. The ancient swivel chair with the clawed feet with large round colored stone footprint was meant to keep, but the guy was'nt told that. Wish I had it today.

Keep up your good work ...;-) Getting late, good night. Looking forward to your Pats final mock.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Corner may not be a priority need for the Pats but BB loves him some defensive backs and Ras might be cut loose if he can't get through a full season healthy.  

I have some of these guys projected as corners, free safeties, some as kick returners or special teams gunners.  I also will have a healthy list of undrafted free agents because like WR or RB I believe the talent runs deep.  

I'll try to specify why I take the players I do, where, I don't specify where some of them will fall in the actual draft but I'm sure there will be some objections...

1st round

Desmond Trufant     CB       Washington               Sr        6-0      190

Jamar Taylor              CB       Boise State               Sr        5-11    192

Dwayne Gratz            CB       Connecticut              Sr        5-11    201

Dee Milliner               CB       Alabama                    Jr         6-0      201

2nd Round

David Amerson          CB       North Carolina St.      Jr         6-1      205

Will Davis                   CB       Utah State                Sr        5-11    186

Xavier Rhodes           CB       Florida State              Jr         6-2      210 (Free safety?)

Logan Ryan                CB       Rutgers                    Jr         5-11    191 

D.J. Hayden                CB       Houston                   Sr        5-11    191 

Darius Slay                 CB       Mississippi State        Sr        6-0      192

Robert Alford             CB       SE Louisiana              Sr        5-10    188

3rd-final Round

Steve Williams           CB       California                   Jr         5-9      181

Josh Johnson              CB       Purdue                      Sr        5-10    199

Jordan Poyer             CB       Oregon State              Sr        6-0      191 

Blidi Wreh-Wilson     CB       Connecticut                Sr        6-1      195

B.W. Webb                 CB       William & Mary         Sr        5-10    184

Brandon McGee         CB       Miami (Fla.)               Sr        5-11    193

Kahlid Wooten          CB       Nevada                       Sr        5-11    210 (punt return)          

Sanders Commings   CB       Georgia                       Sr        6-0      216

Terry Hawthorne      CB       Illinois                         Sr        6-0      195

Nickell Robey             CB       Southern California     Jr         5-7      169

Adrian Bushell           CB       Louisville                    Sr        5-10    186           

Johnny Adams           CB       Michigan State           Sr        5-10    185

Marc Anthony            CB       California                   Sr        6-0      196

Mike Edwards           CB       Hawaii                        Jr         5-9      189

Marcus Cromartie     CB       Wisconsin                   Sr        6-0      195

Rod Sweeting            CB       Georgia Tech              Sr        5-11    189

George Baker             CB       South Florida             Sr        5-11    183      

Devin Smith               CB       Wisconsin                   Sr        5-11    182      

Rashaan Melvin         CB       Northern Illinois        Sr        6-2      192

Undrafted Free agents  

Jeremy Harris             CB        New Mexico State       Sr         6-3       181 (weak)           

Branden Smith          CB       Georgia                       Sr        5-11    172 (weed smoke)          

Kayvon Webster         CB       South Florida             Sr        5-11    195

Travis Howard            CB       Ohio State                  Sr        6-1      200 (weak/safety?)

A.J. Bouye                   CB       UCF                            Sr        6-0      186

Mitchell White           CB       Michigan State           Sr        5-11    184

Dustin Harris             CB       Texas A&M                 Sr        5-11    177 (punt return)     

Chibuikem Okoro      CB       Wake Forest               Sr        6-0      195 (safety?)      

Maurice Jones            CB       Temple                       Sr        5-10    195          

Troy Stoudermire     CB       Minnesota                  Sr        5-10    199 (punk)

Camerron Cheatham   CB       Cincinnati                   Sr        5-9      187         

C.J. Wilson                  CB       North Carolina St.       Sr        5-11    193 (punk)           

Brandon Jones           CB       Rutgers                       Sr        6-0      191   

Andre Martin             CB       North Dakota State   Sr        5-10    193     

Stephon Morris         CB       Penn State                 Sr        5-8      188

Jumal Rolle                 CB       Catawba                     Sr        6-0      188

Brian Watkins            CB       Oregon State              Sr        5-9      181 (ST's gunner)          

Robert Steeples         CB       Memphis                    Sr        6-1      192

Chance Casey            CB       Baylor                       Sr         5-11    189

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Good breakout, I think NE will go CB.  I hoping second rd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

good work .......

I'll need to get some views on Dwayne Gratz, CB   Connecticut  in your 1st round.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB   Connecticut, has been getting alot of print recently from scouts.

Tough to say now with recent moves but I'm wishing that the Pats will double up on DBs, the best CB and SS available, hopefully impact players, now. It will be interesting to see your top SS picks.

'-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Phil, I agree. I think they look BPA at each pick.  I really think they will try hard to move out of 29.  I see then going DE/DT, CB, WR.  Contracts for Love, Pryor, and Deadrick are up after the year. Same for Talib on a one year, they could go CB first.

What if Wozzy is right on the 3/4 base, DT might still be in play with a draft that has a lot good DTs.

i have de, wr, cb or

de cb, wr or

de wr, wr

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Corner may not be a priority need for the Pats but BB loves him some defensive backs and Ras might be cut loose if he can't get through a full season healthy.  

I have some of these guys projected as corners, free safeties, some as kick returners or special teams gunners.  I also will have a healthy list of undrafted free agents because like WR or RB I believe the talent runs deep.  

I'll try to specify why I take the players I do, where, I don't specify where some of them will fall in the actual draft but I'm sure there will be some objections...

1st round

Desmond Trufant     CB       Washington               Sr        6-0      190

Jamar Taylor              CB       Boise State               Sr        5-11    192

Dwayne Gratz            CB       Connecticut              Sr        5-11    201

Dee Milliner               CB       Alabama                    Jr         6-0      201

2nd Round

David Amerson          CB       North Carolina St.      Jr         6-1      205

Will Davis                   CB       Utah State                Sr        5-11    186

Xavier Rhodes           CB       Florida State              Jr         6-2      210 (Free safety?)

Logan Ryan                CB       Rutgers                    Jr         5-11    191 

D.J. Hayden                CB       Houston                   Sr        5-11    191 

Darius Slay                 CB       Mississippi State        Sr        6-0      192

Robert Alford             CB       SE Louisiana              Sr        5-10    188

3rd-final Round

Steve Williams           CB       California                   Jr         5-9      181

Josh Johnson              CB       Purdue                      Sr        5-10    199

Jordan Poyer             CB       Oregon State              Sr        6-0      191 

Blidi Wreh-Wilson     CB       Connecticut                Sr        6-1      195

B.W. Webb                 CB       William & Mary         Sr        5-10    184

Brandon McGee         CB       Miami (Fla.)               Sr        5-11    193

Kahlid Wooten          CB       Nevada                       Sr        5-11    210 (punt return)          

Sanders Commings   CB       Georgia                       Sr        6-0      216

Terry Hawthorne      CB       Illinois                         Sr        6-0      195

Nickell Robey             CB       Southern California     Jr         5-7      169

Adrian Bushell           CB       Louisville                    Sr        5-10    186           

Johnny Adams           CB       Michigan State           Sr        5-10    185

Marc Anthony            CB       California                   Sr        6-0      196

Mike Edwards           CB       Hawaii                        Jr         5-9      189

Marcus Cromartie     CB       Wisconsin                   Sr        6-0      195

Rod Sweeting            CB       Georgia Tech              Sr        5-11    189

George Baker             CB       South Florida             Sr        5-11    183      

Devin Smith               CB       Wisconsin                   Sr        5-11    182      

Rashaan Melvin         CB       Northern Illinois        Sr        6-2      192

Undrafted Free agents  

Jeremy Harris             CB        New Mexico State       Sr         6-3       181 (weak)           

Branden Smith          CB       Georgia                       Sr        5-11    172 (weed smoke)          

Kayvon Webster         CB       South Florida             Sr        5-11    195

Travis Howard            CB       Ohio State                  Sr        6-1      200 (weak/safety?)

A.J. Bouye                   CB       UCF                            Sr        6-0      186

Mitchell White           CB       Michigan State           Sr        5-11    184

Dustin Harris             CB       Texas A&M                 Sr        5-11    177 (punt return)     

Chibuikem Okoro      CB       Wake Forest               Sr        6-0      195 (safety?)      

Maurice Jones            CB       Temple                       Sr        5-10    195          

Troy Stoudermire     CB       Minnesota                  Sr        5-10    199 (punk)

Camerron Cheatham   CB       Cincinnati                   Sr        5-9      187         

C.J. Wilson                  CB       North Carolina St.       Sr        5-11    193 (punk)           

Brandon Jones           CB       Rutgers                       Sr        6-0      191   

Andre Martin             CB       North Dakota State   Sr        5-10    193     

Stephon Morris         CB       Penn State                 Sr        5-8      188

Jumal Rolle                 CB       Catawba                     Sr        6-0      188

Brian Watkins            CB       Oregon State              Sr        5-9      181 (ST's gunner)          

Robert Steeples         CB       Memphis                    Sr        6-1      192

Chance Casey            CB       Baylor                       Sr         5-11    189

rhodes is projected to be gone before 15. you have him in the 2nd rd?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I think if your aim in the first round is to get a starting cornerback than the guys above him are better picks.  The guy is supremely fast and has great vert but isn't overly agile, I think he projects better as a free safety.  Then again in today's NFL with oversized corners and fast undersized safeties I could be wrong.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think if your aim in the first round is to get a starting cornerback than the guys above him are better picks.  The guy is supremely fast and has great vert but isn't overly agile, I think he projects better as a free safety.  Then again in today's NFL with oversized corners and fast undersized safeties I could be wrong.  

just wondering if you were speaking of projection or where he "should" be taken.

yes big corners i think will have highest value moving forward.

who wouldnt love to have seattle' s cb's and defense for that matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Wozzy what DT's would you trade up or and how far would you go?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

just wondering if you were speaking of projection or where he "should" be taken.

Everything on my list is in relation to the Patriot's, we are very well off at free safety now (strange as that sounds) and I wouldn't take him to be my starting corner over the guys on my list.

Obviously he won't be there in the second round with the emphasis on large corners and his pedigree but if he was you would have to overlook "need" and take him as the best player available.  In short I think he's a good player just not in regards the Pats.  Also some of the guys on my list might be had in the 2nd round so why reach in the hopes this kid is a monster DB when you could get value in the 2nd or 3rd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wozzy what DT's would you trade up or and how far would you go?

I probably wouldn't, there's enough depth where at least one of the four in my first round are going to drop to us when we pick, plus other teams place value on DT's that can get after the QB and are built for the 4/3 so they'll be taken earlier.  That's not to say if BB sees the player he wants he might not trade up a few picks to get him but I don't think it will be necessary.  

He might have bought himself some time with the Tommy Kelly signing so the "need" might not be as dire even though Love and Deaderick have contract years coming up and I still want them to go DT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Everything on my list is in relation to the Patriot's, we are very well off at free safety now (strange as that sounds) and I wouldn't take him to be my starting corner over the guys on my list.

Obviously he won't be there in the second round with the emphasis on large corners and his pedigree but if he was you would have to overlook "need" and take him as the best player available.  In short I think he's a good player just not in regards the Pats.  Also some of the guys on my list might be had in the 2nd round so why reach in the hopes this kid is a monster DB when you could get value in the 2nd or 3rd.

i agree and see your analysis jsut wondered why you placed him so late in the draft

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

So I've lumped all my outside linebackers/defensive ends into a single category because in our system they're essentially the same position.  People might question the likelihood of BB taking one but I would remind you that Cunningham, Trevor Scott and others have tenuous positions with no long term deals in place and add there is an increased emphasize on getting to the QB, you can never have enough talent here and it would allow us to slide Ninck back to more of a linebacker position.  Just like all other positions by the day before the draft I will pare this list down.  I hope to have my entire draft board to 25 players that the Pat's will select.

OLB/DE

Ezekiel Ansah               DE       Brigham Young        Sr        6-5      271

Jamie Collins              OLB     Southern Miss            Sr        6-4      250

Barkevious Mingo       OLB     LSU                            Jr         6-4      241

Dion Jordan               OLB     Oregon                       Sr        6-6      248

Datone Jones             DE       UCLA                          Sr        6-4      283

Bjoern Werner           DE       Florida State               Jr         6-3      266

Margus Hunt               DE       Southern Methodist   Sr        6-8      277

Cornellius Carradine     DE       Florida State              Sr        6-4      276

Damontre Moore         DE       Texas A&M                 Jr         6-5      250

Sam Montgomery       DE       LSU                             Jr         6-3      262

Alex Okafor                 DE       Texas                          Sr        6-5      264

Devin Taylor               DE       South Carolina            Sr        6-7      266

Alec Ogletree             OLB     Georgia                       Jr         6-3      242

Corey Lemonier          OLB     Auburn                       Jr         6-4      255

Cornelius Wash.         DE       Georgia                       Sr        6-4      265

Chase Thomas           OLB     Stanford                     Sr        6-3      244

DeVonte Holloman    OLB     South Carolina            Sr        6-2      243

Ty Powell                   OLB     Harding                      Sr        6-2      249

John Simon                DE       Ohio State                  Sr        6-2      257

Lavar Edwards          DE       LSU                             Sr        6-4      277

Michael Buchanan    DE       Illinois                         Sr        6-6      255

David Bass                 DE       Missouri Western St.  Sr        6-4      262

Travis Johnson          OLB     San Jose State             Sr        6-2      240

Nathan Williams        OLB     Ohio State                  Sr        6-3      241

Joe Kruger                 DE       Utah                          Jr         6-6      269

There are a bunch of guys who are played or are projected as outside linebackers like Sio Moore, Jon Bostic, Trevardo Williams, Zaviar Gooden, Brandon Magee, Eric Martin and John Lotulelei who I think are good players but just aren't big enough to man the edge at the next level, it doesn't mean they couldn't slide inside or find work as a situational pass rusher.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Wozzy before you were talking about how you dont think Sharrif Floyd isnt that good, well i saw this today that backs you up.

Two separate NFL scouts say Florida DT Sharrif Floyd is overrated, with one going so far as to call Floyd a media creation.

It's worth noting Floyd had only 4.5 sacks in three college seasons. He's been touted hard by Greg Cosell, Mike Mayock, and Daniel Jeremiah, among others. "Those idiots on TV made Floyd," said one scout. "He's not that good. He's not better than Ziggy Hood." Asked if the Warren Sapp comparisons are valid, another scout replied "No. There's none of that. (Sapp) was just was more gifted than Floyd. Floyd is a good effort player. He's got shorter arms than (Sheldon) Richardson, and I think it shows. He gets kind of Velcroed on blockers." Apr 22 - 1:21 AM

Thanks, that's exactly my point.  He has run stuffer type college numbers but doesn't have run stuffer size.  Has short arms and is strictly a motor guy, it's apropos that everybody has him going to Oakland as Al Davis used to worship at the hype alter.

Warren Sapp comparisons are the biggest joke of all, Sapp was 320 pounds at the lightest, Shariff can barely make weight at 300.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Thanks, that's exactly my point.  He has run stuffer type college numbers but doesn't have run stuffer size.  Has short arms and is strictly a motor guy, it's apropos that everybody has him going to Oakland as Al Davis used to worship at the hype alter.

Warren Sapp comparisons are the biggest joke of all, Sapp was 320 pounds at the lightest, Shariff can barely make weight at 300.

Frankly if the Raiders don't take him I could see him falling out of the top 10 (barring a tradeup) simply because of the fit for the teams picking there (let alone any concerns about his actual ability).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

OK so draft day is tomorrow, it's time I post my final picks.  I can't subscribe to the notion you have to choose one player because what happens leading up to the Pats pick at 29 will determine where they go with the pick, also there may be deals in place with players like John Abraham where the player the Pats were eyeing in the 2nd round being gone dictates they won't pick an OLB in that spot after all.  That being said I've given two players from the four position groups I believe the Pats will focus on.  I also picked assuming the players I think are the best will be gone, therefore Star Louie and John Hankins are not my picks at DT because they will be gone... if not assume they'll get snapped up. I gave two players from each position group per round, per picks...

1st (29) 

Johnathan Jenkins    DT         Georgia                         6-3⅝  346

Sylvester Williams     DT         North Carolina               6-2⅝  313

Desmond Trufant      CB       Washington                     6-0      190

Jamar Taylor             CB       Boise State                      5-11    192

Markus Wheaton       WR      Oregon State                   5-11    189

Justin Hunter           WR      Tennessee                       6-4      196

Jamie Collins             OLB     Southern Miss                 6-4      250

Barkevious Mingo      OLB     LSU                                6-4      241

2nd (59)

Jesse Williams             DT       Alabama                        6-3⅜  323

TJ Barnes                    DT       Georgia Tech                 6-6¼   369            

Dwayne Gratz            CB       Connecticut                    5-11    201

Will Davis                   CB       Utah State                     5-11    186

DeAndre Hopkins        WR      Clemson                           6-1      214

Stedman Bailey          WR      West Virginia                   5-10    193

Dion Jordan                OLB     Oregon                            6-6      248

Datone Jones              DE       UCLA                              6-4      283

3rd (91)

Montori Hughes          DT        Tennessee-Martin            6-4     329

Kwame Geathers        DT        Georgia                           6-5⅜  342                     

David Amerson          CB       North Carolina State           6-1      205

Logan Ryan               CB       Rutgers                              5-11    191

Ryan Swope               WR      Texas A&M                         6-0      205

Josh Boyce                  WR      TCU                                   5-11    206

Sio Moore                   OLB     Connecticut                        6-1      245

Margus Hunt             DE       Southern Methodist              6-8      277

7th (226-235)

Nicholas Williams      DT       Samford                                 6-4½  309

Brandon Williams      DT       Missouri South St                   6-1¼   335

Josh Boyd                 DT       Mississippi State                     6-2⅝  310

Jared Smith              DT       New Hampshire                      6-3⅜  302

Robert Alford             CB       SE Louisiana                          5-10    188

Steve Williams           CB       California                               5-9      181

B.W. Webb                 CB       William & Mary                     5-10    184

Steve Williams           CB       California                               5-9      181 

Da'Rick Rogers           WR      Tenn. Tech                             6-3      217

T.J. Moe                     WR      Missouri                                 6-0      204    

Ryan Spadola             WR      Lehigh                                   6-1      204

Rodney Smith            WR      Florida State                          6-5      225

Devin Taylor              DE       South Carolina                       6-7      266

Corey Lemonier         OLB     Auburn                                   6-4      255

Cornelius Wash.        DE       Georgia                                   6-4      265

Trevardo Williams    OLB     Connecticut                               6-1      241

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I still think there is a chance BB trades down, but we'll see. Is there a DE/OLB you like in this draft wozzy?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I still think there is a chance BB trades down, but we'll see. Is there a DE/OLB you like in this draft wozzy? 

If he traded up and got Ziggy Ansah I would barf with excitement, he is the best athlete at that position I've seen in a while.  But the guys I have pegged as OLB above are pretty good.  I like my original lists from early in this thread but I can't have them all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

If he traded up and got Ziggy Ansah I would barf with excitement, he is the best athlete at that position I've seen in a while.  But the guys I have pegged as OLB above are pretty good.  I like my original lists from early in this thread but I can't have them all.

i had the same opinon on anash in the beginning when he was a raw 2nd rd projection.

was who i was banging the tabel for till he became a top 5 projection

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

It doesn't matter what you say about Floyd based on what you read... what matters is that scouts and those paid to actively rank players and make draft boards have Floyd going in the 4-8 range.

He won't escape past pick 12-14, so putting him in the Patriots conversation or as a 2nd rd talent is absurd.

It was like all those people who wanted JJ Watt 2 years ago... that's nice that you like him... but he's not getting past pick 12-14 so why bother talking about him?

Umm... I initially said I wouldn't gloat until Floyd fell completely out of the 1st round but I'm going to take the long slow approach and really enjoy it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

If you think floyd is going to escape the teens.... you will 99.9999% be wrong.

With the 23rd pick the hapless Vikings take Floyd...