WR Lavasier Tuinei added to camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

WR Lavasier Tuinei added to camp

Have you guys been aware we are getting big receivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6dwDilIl4

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

The Patriots are down to just one open roster spot, as they have agreed to terms with former Oregon wide receiver Lavasier Tuinei, according to his agency, Paradigm Sports Management.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Tuinei had 108 career catches for 1,212 yards and 12 touchdowns during three college seasons at Oregon, the last of which came in 2011.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: WR Lavasier Tuinei added to camp

i posted this earlier thatthe majority of the WRs onthe roster are over 6'.  I think bb is finally combating the taller db's and realized oneof the reasons the gronk is so dominate in the redzone is he is taller and can out jump dbs.    with the addition of sudfield at 6'7" dobson at 6'3" and the addition of a taller slot guy in amendola,gone are our midget wr's.  should be interesting to see how we match up with opposing dbs.

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

i posted this earlier thatthe majority of the WRs onthe roster are over 6'.  I think bb is finally combating the taller db's and realized oneof the reasons the gronk is so dominate in the redzone is he is taller and can out jump dbs.    with the addition of sudfield at 6'7" dobson at 6'3" and the addition of a taller slot guy in amendola,gone are our midget wr's.  should be interesting to see how we match up with opposing dbs.

The other side effect is Brady doesn't have to be as accurate with his passes. He can afford to toss it up a little and let the WR's go get them. This could be important as Brady gets older and something I know a number of us have been asking for, for years

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

plus i love that this kid was in chip
    kelly'shurry up offense

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The other side effect is Brady doesn't have to be as accurate with his passes. He can afford to toss it up a little and let the WR's go get them. This could be important as Brady gets older and something I know a number of us have been asking for, for years

I agree - if you've ever thrown a football in a game you know how much easier it is to hit a guy that is tall, has long arms and can jump, compared to a shorter receiver where the window is just so much smaller. I'm sure Brady has gotten used to the smaller guys and we all know he is very accurate - plus some of the smaller guys we've had were very good players - but he may love having some bigger weapons.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Well...I'm sure he's here for, like what , two weeks?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Yes, the camp bodies often come and go with lightning speed. 

There's something new going on in Foxboro.  It's possible that the dog days of drafting deadbeat wide receivers are long gone, that the scouting staff has figured out what makes a good wide receiver prospect.  Hint:  it isn't raw speed. 

Dobson apparently has been a success so far.  He has been remarkably wide open in camp.  Boyce is at least average.  We're just going to have to learn to say Kenbrell Thompkins.  Tuinei wasn't picked up because of a shortage of rookie wide receivers making the team.  He was picked up as a potential opportunity.

I think that Coach Brady has found the key to working with rookie receivers -- bring them to California and work their tails off.  When the season rolls around, they're not playing like rookies any more.

Last year the Patriots ran the fastest offense by far in the NFL, and they happened to win a first round bye too, so expect even faster lineups this year.  Tuinei is one player used to lining up at lightning speed.  Next, Tuinei fits the new tall Dobson mode.  The taller the wide receiver, the less chance the defensive back has of getting to the ball first on a bomb play.  Finally, Tuinei isn't a rookie.  He's been running pro routes for 18 months now. 

A second year wide receiver who has already been dropped by two pro teams is likely to fall to the practice squad.  As a (barely) adequate player, he'll be good tertiary insurance if the Pats lose two or more wide receivers to injury, a real concern every year.  For starters, Julian Edelman isn't even on the field yet in 2013.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i agree with Paul.  his signing was great,let him tryout,be a camp/preseason body and he will probably make the ps.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Read he failed his conditioning test in Dallas and was released.  If he's not injured, I've never heard of a skill position guy failing a conditioning test.  The fat guys, yes.  The little fast guys, not really.  I like the thinking with a red zone type of WR threat though.  Also read that was his forte at Oregon.     

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's camp, they need bodies so the guys they will eventually keep don't get overused.  Every now and then one of them surprises but it's pretty rare for a guy like this to be anything other than camp meat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Samoan?  They grow some big boys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

on a different note, why is it that the Patriots don't have one of those....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the pats have quite a few tall dbs: dowling, talib and brandon jones are all 6'1". as for the safety position harmon is 6'1", adrian wilsonis 6'3", t wilson and ebner are  6'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Read he failed his conditioning test in Dallas and was released.  If he's not injured, I've never heard of a skill position guy failing a conditioning test.  The fat guys, yes.  The little fast guys, not really.  I like the thinking with a red zone type of WR threat though.  Also read that was his forte at Oregon.     

Now what doesn't add up here?  The guy played in fast-break offense Oregon so he used to be in top flight physical condition, and then he fails a conditioning test in Dallas. 

Do people remember how Brandon Spikes posted an awful 40 time at the combine, but when football season rolled around he seemed to be running at full speed?  Tuinei may have had a bad day,r a bad flu bug or a hammy, the day he failed his conditioning test.  If so, BB picked up a real bargain for nothing.  Or, it could also turn out that Tuinei walks around with some serious permanent ligament damage and so he'll be cut next week.  We'll find out.