Ya know what's nice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Ya know what's nice?

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what would be nice is if you would stop making threads like this because this argument has been going on for too damn long and you know a thread like this was just going to pour gasoline on the fire.

[/QUOTE]

Babe and Leon the Jets troll have this in common. They both need to parade around on this site to stroke their egos.

[/QUOTE]

Spare us your junior psychiatrist act Rusty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bingo!! Well put. This defense changed because of Talib and a aggressive nature towards the draft this year to change the fortunes of this defense. Things don't take 4 years to improve in the NFL - in fact things change overnight with injuries, free agent signings, drafts, trades...it's the most fluid roster in ALL of sports and teams change very very quickly. Unless you have a good QB - then you have the chance to be good for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

I will disagree with you here.  Just because your fortunes appear to change overnight in the NFL does not mean they actually did.  A player like Talib can be the missing puzzle piece that leads to improved results, but you don't "finish the puzzle" without all of the other pieces.  A defense featuring Talib and 10 other JAGS would not be very good.

[/QUOTE]

True, if one single guy could change a defense he'd have to be a very very special/impact type of guy...Talib is not that. However do you think it takes four drafts, four free agency periods and four off seasons to improve your defense? We almost entirely rebuilt this roster back in the early dynasty years between our first and second super bowl - those two teams were vastly different in personel...it didn't take 4 years. You see teams change dramatically in one off season - you get a team that basically stinks one year and then they add a couple of pieces and they are in the playoffs. Look at Washington, they add a QB and suddenly they are on the brink of the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Young defense that is starting to bring it all together. The changes in the secondary this year have helped too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Histrionics, personalities and individual agenda aside, I'm enjoying watching the absolute best offense in the NFL complemented by what appears to be a solid and ever improving defense.  Great time to be a Pats fan, isn't it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

True, if one single guy could change a defense he'd have to be a very very special/impact type of guy...Talib is not that. However do you think it takes four drafts, four free agency periods and four off seasons to improve your defense? We almost entirely rebuilt this roster back in the early dynasty years between our first and second super bowl - those two teams were vastly different in personel...it didn't take 4 years. You see teams change dramatically in one off season - you get a team that basically stinks one year and then they add a couple of pieces and they are in the playoffs. Look at Washington, they add a QB and suddenly they are on the brink of the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

QB is a unique position so I'm not sure if the analogy applies to a defense.  In addition I think NE had to replace a lot more guys than some teams do that appear to have quick turnarounds.  Think about it.  Wilfork is the only guy on this team that was on the 2007 team that went 16-0 on the defensive side of the ball.  Belichick had to literally replace the entire defense without the benefit of the highest draft picks because we haven't stopped winning.

Could it have been done faster?  In theory maybe.  I see you alluded to what he did between 2001 and 2003 and that was a pretty remarkable run in terms of the draft and FA acquisitions that were made.  But that is an impossibly high standard imo.  There were a lot of things that had to go right for that to work.  I don't think we approached it any differently this time, it just took longer because not every move works out.  Hell you could argue as good as BB is even he was due for some mean reversion.  You can't be almost 100% accurate forever.  I really think what Belichick has done as GM here is severely underrated by a lot of fans (although I will give you credit for acknowledging what was done between our 1st and 2nd SBs since even that is often glossed over since it was a while ago in football terms).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

QB is a unique position so I'm not sure if the analogy applies to a defense.  In addition I think NE had to replace a lot more guys than some teams do that appear to have quick turnarounds.  Think about it.  Wilfork is the only guy on this team that was on the 2007 team that went 16-0 on the defensive side of the ball.  Belichick had to literally replace the entire defense without the benefit of the highest draft picks because we haven't stopped winning.

Could it have been done faster?  In theory maybe.  I see you alluded to what he did between 2001 and 2003 and that was a pretty remarkable run in terms of the draft and FA acquisitions that were made.  But that is an impossibly high standard imo.  There were a lot of things that had to go right for that to work.  I don't think we approached it any differently this time, it just took longer because not every move works out.  Hell you could argue as good as BB is even he was due for some mean reversion.  You can't be almost 100% accurate forever.  I really think what Belichick has done as GM here is severely underrated by a lot of fans (although I will give you credit for acknowledging what was done between our 1st and 2nd SBs since even that is often glossed over since it was a while ago in football terms).

[/QUOTE]

My compliments on a thoughtful and well-reasoned post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely unreasonable post.  Facts are not allowed on this board. GET OUT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bingo!! Well put. This defense changed because of Talib and a aggressive nature towards the draft this year to change the fortunes of this defense. Things don't take 4 years to improve in the NFL - in fact things change overnight with injuries, free agent signings, drafts, trades...it's the most fluid roster in ALL of sports and teams change very very quickly. Unless you have a good QB - then you have the chance to be good for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

I will disagree with you here.  Just because your fortunes appear to change overnight in the NFL does not mean they actually did.  A player like Talib can be the missing puzzle piece that leads to improved results, but you don't "finish the puzzle" without all of the other pieces.  A defense featuring Talib and 10 other JAGS would not be very good.

[/QUOTE]

He didn't say Talib alone caused the change pcm4. He also mentioned the aggresive just completed draft, which brought Dennard and improvements to the front 7 as well.

Talib was the piece that allowed McCourty to move and be more effective. And it allowed the overall improvement that brought to those two secondary positions to support Dennard's promising play. As I'm sure you know, improvement in one secondary position helps the other positions.

BB has been clearly hell bent on improving this defense since the SB debacle when he watched another Lombardi slip away to a defensive collapse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, weren't you the one to always aruge with Rusty that it doesn't matter when the team scores?

[/QUOTE]

Never happened. I have always said your objective is to at least keep it close and make the plays at the endgame.

When you score in the first 80% or so of the game doesn't matter much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Histrionics, personalities and individual agenda aside, I'm enjoying watching the absolute best offense in the NFL complemented by what appears to be a solid and ever improving defense.  Great time to be a Pats fan, isn't it?

[/QUOTE]

It is. Sooooo nice to see an attacking D that puts fear into the bad guys again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What would also be nice is realizing bb has fielded the youngest d in the last 3 years, so anyone thinking a bunch of ncaa prospects playing as one and being great immediately is just dumb.

It took bill walsh about the same time as bb to reshuffle his deck but without a cap.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody expected BB's drastic trade up and go all in on D draft to bear fruit immediately junior. But obviously he saw what most of us saw developing and pulled the trigger to bring somebody who could stabilize the secondary.

He's a great coach and reacted to the need, mid-season. And despite his iffy drafting, especially on D over the years, he has always been a pretty good trader.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Also, weren't you the one to always aruge with Rusty that it doesn't matter when the team scores?

[/QUOTE]

Never happened. I have always said your objective is to at least keep it close and make the plays at the endgame.

When you score in the first 80% or so of the game doesn't matter much.

[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I must be experiencing early on-set alzheimers then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

So the D was catastrophic in the playoffs last year?

[/QUOTE]

If the D was so good in the playoffs last year why did BB use almost his whole draft on D and trade up twice for defensive players as well?

Why did he trade mid-season for a bad boy DB if the D was so good?

Reality doesn't match your take very well. Either that or you know the team better than BB.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is it a fact that BB spent almost his entire last draft on defense and just traded mid-season for a high profile, bad boy DB?

Are those facts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the D was so good in the playoffs last year why did BB use almost his whole draft on D and trade up twice for defensive players as well?

Reality doesn't match your take very well. Either that or you know the team better than BB.

[/QUOTE]

babe babe!  Rusty already said the "rebuild" was done before this season

[/QUOTE]

Actually, he said it was "done" before last season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

babe babe!  Rusty already said the "rebuild" was done before this season

[/QUOTE]

Actually, he said it was "done" before last season.

[/QUOTE]

that defense got us to a super bowl last year and were one welker drop away from winning it. i understand the giants scored on their last drive, but that was just a nice drive....that pass from eli to manningham was just unbelievable and almost uncoverable....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Is it a fact that BB spent almost his entire last draft on defense and just traded mid-season for a high profile, bad boy DB? Are those facts?

Hmmm, #2 offense, #31 defense last year. Going out on a limb there aren't you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is it a fact that BB spent almost his entire last draft on defense and just traded mid-season for a high profile, bad boy DB?

Are those facts?

[/QUOTE]

Nobody said the Defense was excellent last year, but they surely played better than the offense in the playoffs.  It was prevalent that they needed to trade up and get more impact players on defense; I don't think anybody is denying that.  Also, the offense didn't need to be critiqued in the offseason; it already had an immense amount of talent.  It's just a matter of executing when they need to execute.  In fact, it was the offensive gameplan that needed to be changed, which is what most of us wanted.  The implementation of a consistent run game has surely helped both sides of the ball.  No questions asked.

But when you allocate 1/6 of your cap to one player on one side of the ball, it's hard to distribute the money on defense.  We are blessed to have TFB, arguable the GOAT.  But having him on your squad makes cap management a bit harder.  You act like all of our cap is dedicated to the Defensive side of the ball and they're underachieving.  So when your core players (highest paid- on offense) aren't performing in the biggest games of the year, I think that's where part of the blame needs to be.

Goodness Babe, would it hurt you to EVER give a compliment to the D or critique the offense just once?  So you think the Offense played great in the Ravens game?  How about Super Bowl 46?  What about Super Bowl 42?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That 'catastrophic' defense got us into the super bowl and held the Giants to under their season scoring average. Babe who is a legend in his own mind will never admit that.

[/QUOTE]

No, Brady got us into the SB despite that catastrophic defense.

I admit the truth, not delusional homer BS.

[/QUOTE]

False.  Brady himself said he sucked post afc title game.  He also said the d bailed the o out last week.   The ball is in brady's court.

[/QUOTE]

I fixed your quote for you junior.

Yeah, we all know he didn't play well against the Ravens. They has the best pass D in the league last year. Of course his other two playoff games were quite good.

Frankly, that's one game where I think they should have run more. But unlike you, I let BB make those decisions with very little complaint.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it a fact that BB spent almost his entire last draft on defense and just traded mid-season for a high profile, bad boy DB? Are those facts?

Hmmm, #2 offense, #31 defense last year. Going out on a limb there aren't you?

[/QUOTE]

Not at all. But that doesn't stop others from trying to spin it another way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I actually enjoy watching pats punt since its an opportunity to watch pats D make plays... How twisted is that...?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what would be nice is if you would stop making threads like this because this argument has been going on for too damn long and you know a thread like this was just going to pour gasoline on the fire.

[/QUOTE]
    Amen and AMEN!