Yahoo! Sports writes linesman blew call on 4th & 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Yahoo! Sports writes linesman blew call on 4th & 2

A must read. Of course the NY media wont tell you this.

It's amazing that 1 official makes a call on something he can't see & just assumes something, & the other 2 aren't even watching the play. What's Goodell going to do about this gross incompetence?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-belichickpats111609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: Yahoo! Sports writes linesman blew call on 4th & 2

Here's the thing.  You can't see his forward foot come down.  You do see his back foot coming down.  Unless Wetzel was on that sideline like the sideline judge was, I am not sure how he or anyone else can conclusively challenge the call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

"was ruled to have not converted it by an official who couldn’t have known"

"He’d have still been a genius had he just punted and lost that way."

yup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

In Response to Yahoo! Sports writes linesman blew call on 4th & 2:
    [QUOTE]A must read. Of course the NY media wont tell you this. It's amazing that 1 official makes a call on something he can't see & just assumes something, & the other 2 aren't even watching the play. What's Goodell going to do about this gross incompetence?   http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-belichickpats111609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    Posted by passedball[/QUOTE]

Great post, thanks for that. They get the W but it's pretty clear it was a bad call that gave it to them. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

One thing to note, and I sent the author an email on this, is that the Head Linesman who made the call, Tom Stabile #24, is part of Ron Winter's crew. Not Scott Green's crew who were on the field for the game. I am wondering when they replaced Green's regular HL, Tony Veteri #36. 

Not trying to create a conspiracy, but I am wondering about why a switch was made. Ron Winter's crew did the Thursday night game so, if Veteri was sick, Stabile might have stepped in.

It does mean an official not familiar with the regular crew made the call.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I smell a rat - oh thats POLIAN!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

Belichik made the right call, but there's no way to game plan against the indy defense, refs, Polian.,. the league LOVES "Americas Team" the Colts and they hate "evil genius" BB.. this has been proved once again.. how many more proof points do we need ?

Get over it
    Get over it
    It�s gotta stop sometime, so why dont you quit
    Get over it, get over it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

The following statement from the article you gave us passedball, Regarding how Mainstream Media have lambasted and criticized Belichick's call on 4th and 2, THIS statement says it ALL:

"There are few things worse in sports than when conventional wisdom of how something should be done (because that’s how it’s always been done) sends a chilling effect for innovation and ingenuity."

True as it is in actual Life, let alone the Sport's World, When someone goes against the grain of conventional thinking and either succeeds or fails, THAT person showing ingenuity is labeled as a madman, and gets proverbially burned at the stake by those WHO have always kow-towed to conventional norms and can't even comprehend thinking outside the accepted box of what's been given as societal norm...  The only thing that's kinda sad in the end, when all's said and done with, ISN'T the outcome of the game, Since a W or L for either team affects very few outside the football fan world, and even less outside the regions of Indy and N.E (although this hurt's Me and You)....  

RATHER, The sad part lies with the greater effects- and in a global world of mass-communication, The pathetically singular, unchanging conventional Influences brought to the mass of mankind by the select unoriginal few people that have power and a means to speak out to, reach, and no doubt SWAY in some form the 99% of the rest of Us... 

Scares the He!! outta me that You really and actually CAN'T Believe EVERYthing You See on T.V...  Mass-Media has become Civilized Man's Professor, And I guess the same old axiom that goes for those that "Teach" others can also be said for Greater Media, "If ya can't actually DO...then Teach."    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Don't forget the phantom pass interference calls that the Colts got to get them a 40 plus yard gain. In my mind, that helped the Colts more then the bad spot from the referee. The game should of never been that close, but it was a blowout, and the refs sure did do a nice job in playing to the home crowd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ET27. Show ET27's posts

In Response to Re: Yahoo! Sports writes linesman blew call on 4th & 2:
    [QUOTE]To ALL : The following statement from the article you gave us passedball , Regarding how Mainstream Media have lambasted and criticized Belichick's call on 4th and 2, THIS statement says it ALL: " There are few things worse in sports than when conventional wisdom of how something should be done (because that’s how it’s always been done) sends a chilling effect for innovation and ingenuity ." True as it is in actual Life , let alone the Sport's World, When someone goes against the grain of conventional thinking and either succeeds or fails, THAT person showing ingenuity is labeled as a madman, and gets proverbially burned at the stake by those WHO have always kow-towed to conventional norms and can't even comprehend thinking outside the accepted box of what's been given as societal norm...  The only thing that's kinda sad in the end, when all's said and done with, ISN'T the outcome of the game, Since a W or L for either team affects very few outside the football fan world, and even less outside the regions of Indy and N.E (although this hurt's Me and You)....   RATHER , The sad part lies with the greater effects- and in a global world of mass-communication, The pathetically singular, unchanging conventional Influences brought to the mass of mankind by the select unoriginal few people that have power and a means to speak out to, reach, and no doubt SWAY in some form the 99% of the rest of Us ...  Scares the He!! outta me that You really and actually CAN'T Believe EVERYthing You See on T.V...  Mass-Media has become Civilized Man's Professor, And I guess the same old axiom that goes for those that "Teach" others can also be said for Greater Media, "If ya can't actually DO...then Teach."    
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I've made it a policy NOT to trust humans!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Don't forget, and something this article doesn't point out. Is that when Faulk was ruled to have been tackled to the ground, and juggling the ball, the game clock did in fact stop with 1:56 on it, which should have made it a reviewable play by the booth. BUT, AND A BIG BUT! The ref quickly stepped in and had them set the game clock to exactly 2 minutes to begin the 2 minute warning! Why isn't anybody questioning the ref on changing the clock to 2 minutes, making it impossible for the play to be challenge. They obviously knew it was a bad call right when the call was made, and quickly covered it up. I believe, if you look at the replay, the line judge hesitates a lot in making a juggling motion, even some times looking for help, but he knew he couldn't over turn the decision, because the crowd would have run him out of Indy. It's clearly a blown call, and the NFL for the first time in history should correct the call, and that would have given the pats the ball with 1:56 left, 1 timeout from the colts, and 3 knees would have been the game, Pats win!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget, and something this article doesn't point out. Is that when Faulk was ruled to have been tackled to the ground, and juggling the ball, the game clock did in fact stop with 1:56 on it, which should have made it a reviewable play by the booth. BUT, AND A BIG BUT! The ref quickly stepped in and had them set the game clock to exactly 2 minutes to begin the 2 minute warning! Why isn't anybody questioning the ref on changing the clock to 2 minutes, making it impossible for the play to be challenge. They obviously knew it was a bad call right when the call was made, and quickly covered it up. I believe, if you look at the replay, the line judge hesitates a lot in making a juggling motion, even some times looking for help, but he knew he couldn't over turn the decision, because the crowd would have run him out of Indy. It's clearly a blown call, and the NFL for the first time in history should correct the call, and that would have given the pats the ball with 1:56 left, 1 timeout from the colts, and 3 knees would have been the game, Pats win!
    Posted by rpn123321[/QUOTE]
    Technically it's the first timed down after the two minute warning that starts the booth reviews.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget, and something this article doesn't point out. Is that when Faulk was ruled to have been tackled to the ground, and juggling the ball, the game clock did in fact stop with 1:56 on it, which should have made it a reviewable play by the booth. BUT, AND A BIG BUT! The ref quickly stepped in and had them set the game clock to exactly 2 minutes to begin the 2 minute warning! Why isn't anybody questioning the ref on changing the clock to 2 minutes, making it impossible for the play to be challenge. They obviously knew it was a bad call right when the call was made, and quickly covered it up. I believe, if you look at the replay, the line judge hesitates a lot in making a juggling motion, even some times looking for help, but he knew he couldn't over turn the decision, because the crowd would have run him out of Indy. It's clearly a blown call, and the NFL for the first time in history should correct the call, and that would have given the pats the ball with 1:56 left, 1 timeout from the colts, and 3 knees would have been the game, Pats win!
    Posted by rpn123321[/QUOTE]

Booth review doesn't start until the first snap after the 2 minute warning. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Every football game has about 120-130 snaps, and after each play the officials do the best job they can placing the football where they feel the play ended.  Sometimes it's a controversial placement.  I watched this pass play a dozen times and still cannot determine where EXACTLY the ball should have been placed.  Depending on your rooting interest, fans would have placed the ball at the 30 or on the 29.  You can blame a lot of people for what happened to the Pats.  Fact is, we didn't stop them from scoring a TD with seconds to play.  Both teams had unusual turnovers and interceptions.  Congrats to the Colts.  They won.  Now time for the Jets, which is ultimately a much more important game than the Colts.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

What about the other ref who ran in front of Welker in the middle of the field?  The ref is supposed to get out of the way - he should have moved back, not gotten in between Brady and his receiver.  What a joke. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm so used to Peyton's unparralleled luck at home,why is it there is always one Phantom PI called in the Colts favor? Why does it always come when he needs it the most? The spot doesn't even become a question if they don't cheat earlier to help the Colts. How many PI calls does Polian get by being the Head of the Rules committee????? I accuse the NFL/WWE as scripting the games....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

If you really look at the play you can see faulks right foot atleast a 1/4 yard over the first down invisible marker they put up on the TV for the watchers, that right there is forward progress he has complete possesion of the ball and has the first down but as usual against the colts, the refs decide to put thier heads up there *** and totally miss were forward progress stopped. not to mention the REDICULOUS PI against darius butler who is playing the ball with his head turned and gets bumbed by the WR who according to cris collinsworth "made it look like pass intereference" when if anything it should have been Offenseive PI. But w/e its one game and we move on. But its rediculous how the refs let the colts win the game. i beleive BB call was a good one, the pats D had NOTHING left.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]
     It does mean an official not familiar with the regular crew made the call.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't matter if he was a regular crew member or not. He shouldn't have made a call on something he couldn't see, then screwed up more by assuming something.

My question about Goodell was a rhetorical one. We all know this gaff gets swept under the rug. His officials are always right.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yahoo! Sports writes linesman blew call on 4th & 2 : Boy are you clueless. Where is the media based out of again? And where do lazy out of town papers get their news feeds from? If you don't like what I have to say, stay out of here & go hang out on a Giants board. Talking about class coming from a NY'r? That's some funny sh*t. BTW, Elly Manning is the equivalent of an American Idol contestant, purely made up by Goodell as a poster boy with no talent. Only a fool would believe he's anything more than that. His record speaks for itself. Oh, NY things? Like robberies, looting, murder, the greed of Wall Street & how it tanked the economy? Your going to claim the NY media doesn't have a hard-on for the Patriots? Must be nice living in the toilet or do you live around the rim? Fu*king lying moron.
    Posted by passedball[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend a liberal application of the ignore user button on the likes of jintsfan. These types of aholes never have anything meaningful to say, so why waste the oxygen to even read their bitter little posts?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Thanks for the link on the replay.  I never thought it was that close.  Conspiracy theory number 1502 - why did the network shy away from replaying that catch and dissecting the touch, catch, forward progress?  Somethings not right with the whole thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the link on the replay.  I never thought it was that close.  Conspiracy theory number 1502 - why did the network shy away from replaying that catch and dissecting the touch, catch, forward progress?  Somethings not right with the whole thing.
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]

The same reason they cropped all of the shots of Elly Mannings scramble in the SB. There were things they didn't want seen. The "miracle" doesn't hold up with uncropped shots.

The NFL Network did show the replay over & over, then stated that the refs blew the call. It was obvious from the replay that Faulk made it with room to spare.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts