Your NFL Football Roots.... BEFORE the Pats, WHO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Your NFL Football Roots.... BEFORE the Pats, WHO?

Just curiosity here.....  work with me!

My first experience with NFL football started with the NY Giants as they were the team I saw on TV almost every Sunday back to my younger days, living in New Hampshire.  ( Am I aging myself?  Heck yeah!! (-; ) THEN, came the AFL and we had out own regional team to root for, the BOSTON PATRIOTS.  Until the merger, I rooted for the then NY Giants and the Boston Patriots.  Once the merger happened, Patriots all the way, thick and thin, groans and moans, laughing at times and now enjoying a run many franchises and their fans have yet to enjoy and envy.

So, as we Patriots fans are feeling the angst of watching two fairly hated rivals play in the AFCCG, where did your football roots start?  If not the Patriots, what was YOUR favorite team when it was only the NFL?? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

Re: Your NFL Football Roots....

I don't go that far back!

I moved to Boston from Argentina in January of 1996 - yup, moved from 90 degrees right into a 3-day blizzard! I came up for College and I had some good friends from the area who were huge Pats fans, so my first game ever was the Pats vs. Packers Superbowl. Needless to say, I have hated Favre ever since!

Coming from a Futbol/Rugby culture, I really did not understand football at all. But, was lucky to have very passionate friends who taught me about the game, and once I understood it, I really got into it. So, by the time the Pats started winning and putting this amazing decade together, I was able to really enjoy and appreciate it. Plus, the 2005 win againts the Eagles, was on my birthday:)

So, the only NFL team I have ever rooted for has been the Patriots... I consider myself both a Bostonian and an Argentine, so I root for all boston/new england teams (as well as the Argentine national soccer team and the Pumas, the argentine national rugby team)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Your NFL Football Roots.... BEFORE the Pats, WHO?

I remember O.J. Simpson rushing for 250 yards against the Pats in '73. Living in downeast ME we got to see the Patriots most Sundays unless they were playing an NFC team on CBS the same time the Giants were playing. There's still some oldtimer Giants fans around here.

My favorite Pats team of that era was the '76 team that went 11-3 and lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Raiders who went on to win the super bowl. The Pats lost on a bogus roughing the passer call on Kenny Stabler. There's a lot of hall of famers on the two teams.

The Pats of the mid to late 70's were a young and talented team that set the NFL rushing record of 3165 yards in 1978, a record that still stands. They could never put it all together and thus were a very frustrating team to root for.

Things have gone better lately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I also started out listening to and watching the Giants on TV. I looked forward to their battles with Jim Brown. But I was never a fan. I had a friend who was a sportswriter who covered the Giants. He was annoying in print and in person. It got worse when the AFL was created. We once sat in a car and debated the NFL vs. the AFL for about 3 hours. Of course, he was prejudiced in favor of the NFL and the Giants. I was visiting the folks after having moved to New England where I had become a Pats fan. Unfortunately, we became antagonists over the years. He didn't take kindly to the nasty things I wrote to him during those really bad years for the Giants culminating in "The Fumble". He began to refer to me anonymously in his columns in a very derogatory way. The nickname he chose for me made me believe he was bothered by the fact that I was so knowledgeable although I didn't have free access to games and resources. Go Pats!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I was born a Patriot fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Born a Patriot fan and will always be a Patriot Fan!  (Since the early 80's)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

44 here so always been Pats for me....But for my 95 year old Grandfather before the Pats it was the BOSTON Redskins, as that was who they were before moving to Washington in the 1940s...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I really didn't care that much about the Boston College Patriots.  The AFL was just a minor league version of the NFL, a joke.  Of course I didn't follow football much then.

I've only been to one live game in my lifetime: Tom Brady's second start, against the San Diego Chargers in 2001.  No one gave the Pats a chance that year just after Bledsoe got injured.  TB rallied from a 10 point deficit and then won in overtime.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

As a ten-year-old in the early eighties, my family moved to Wisconsin, so I tried to follow the Packers. But they went 8 and 8, or close to it, like three years in a row. So I lost patience- was this going to be a good team or a bad team?

I liked a bunch of the players on the Patriots, especially on the defense, and the rest is history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

Patriots all the way for me.....lived in Brookline / Allston area....
     Also went to BU where the Pats used to play on Nickerson field (amongst other fields)....

Had to endure thru the real down times, so this decade was awesome!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

My pic says it all. Patriots fan since the day of my birth. I don't even remember when I started watching this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Pre-Pats in existence, I was a San Fran fan.  They have since been my second fave.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Born and raised in Mid-Coast Maine, Patsfan since the early seventies. Jim Plunkett, Sam Cunningham, Mack Herron, Julius Adams, Darryl Stingley, Vataha, Hannah...
    I would concede that as an 8 yr old I could have named many more Miami Dolphins than Patriots players. They were an all-star team at the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

being born in Ohio i used to be a browns fan when BB was fired and left the browns so did I,i have been a pats fan since. I saw his genius in Cleveland and followed it to New England. Go Pats!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

When I first started following the NFL in the mid 80s here in England I was a bit of a Broncos fan as I really liked John Elway.

Moving to Boston in the mid 90s soon put paid to that though...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

i just remember being amazed by a young randy moss.... me and my friends got together to pick a team and stick with it because alot of them had 2, 3 teams.... everybody picked their hometown team i was born in africa so i could choose any team... at the time i had no idea how bad the patriots were regardless of that i became a fanatic

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Always have been a Pats fan, even through the bad years, so I appreciate what the Pats organization, players and Krafts have brought to the fans this decade....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

Grew up in the Greater Boston Area. Life long Patriots fan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

JintsFan...... 

G-Men were the ONLY game in town before the AFL, at least when I was growing up.  That may have been the "rambler" back then, but since, done OK.  Once the Boston Patriots came aboard and after the merger, Patriots all the way...   I did not "switch" allegiances, the G-men are the casualty of their not being my "hometown" team.  I am certain there are a number of older Pats fans who had their NFL favorite with no NE team in place.  Besides, Pats have had a much better success rate getting to the SB since the merger, so, I've not had any let-up and I am in a "wining" position!!  (-;

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

I came to Boston from Spain, learned about American Football watching the '85 Pats, totally got into the game and the Pats and that was it. A number of bad years and a lot of happy times. My daughter was born a Patriots fan :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Of the Boston teams, the Pats were 4th when I was growing up.  I liked Roger Staubach and the Cowboys in the early 70's, and later cheered for the Raider's when it seemed like 1/2 of the Patriots went to play for Al Davis after the later 70's Patriots were ruined by the traitorous Chuck Fairbanks.  The 1985 season changed everything for me...along with the Bruin's demise...and I never looked back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Giants and Packers then I switched to the Pats when they started showing the old AFL on TV in Maine.

My oldest Pats memory is of Jim Nance running 50 yards up the middle with all 11 Bills defenders jumping on his back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~Simply an excellent and inspiring reading of posts on this thread, so first-off, Kudos to agcs for the upbeat and warming optimism within a year that we Pats Fans have become more lost on the successes of our biggest rivals rather than the greater joys this team has brought Us ALL through the years...

They say that "familiarity breeds contempt."  Yet, sadly I know of no equal or better axion that weighs on the pulse for sensing and trully loving in the end, the qualities and attributes and the cares that We fondly become appreciative of in our family, friends, foes and EVERY and ANY-one else who closely impacts our lives.  My core family are Connecticut natives of a small sleepy town directly on the Mass border.  Even though I usually contend that the southern demarcation axis-line for following New England verses New York based sporting teams is Hartford, I'm slowly learning that true Patriot Fans come from all corners of the globe. 

But as I said, for better or worse, We ARE the birthright of those closest to us.  Hating the trivial foibles I've inherited from my father, We both love, living and dying off of Our mutual love for football, and The New England Patriots. 

One of my earlier memories was of mother's father, My Grandfather (please rest his soul), calling my father somewhere in the mid-1980's, minutes after just seeing an amazing, yet meaningless-to-the-postseason Hail-Mary game-winning come from behind touchdown that was tipped by a defender, tipped a breathlessly second time by a Patriot, and finally caught inches inbounds by another Patriot...All of which, Me and My Father had similarly witnessed moments earlier...  Hugging and cheering...bonding.  I recognized even in youth, the same exuberation, the same shared bonding moment, felt when my grandfather and father yelled the game's recaps...and it was wonderful.  I felt the same heartache and pain after going into my parent's bedroom after a few generations of drought stayed unfulfilled when a ground ball carelessly strew through a ballplayer's legs, teardrops silently rolling down my mom's cheeks. 

Have become emotionally hardened through the years, God don't we all?  A year or two later on a summer day out on the deck, my father opened his birthday gift given from my mom.  It was a pair of Patriot Tickets for a game against L.A. (Raiders).  With a long-ago lost, outwardly singular need of an adolescent who sees something they like, love, or want to take part in, I blurted out, "Dad, Who ya gonna take with You?"  He said, "I was thinking of taking my best friend...Ray."  I'd like to think it was something other than the base selfishness discussed above.  I want to believe as I cried very real teardrops, that it was because this was still during a time in my life when I needed to be a part of the things he so loved.  I too, would like to believe that his sentiments were pure when he yelled out laughing, "You id#ot Sean, YOU'RE my best friend in the entire world!"  Perhaps purity too, dies a little with age and with it, certain solace. 

But I'll never know and I won't ask, because it doesn't betray the experience and bond I shared with my dad when we indeed went to that Patriot Game in the Fall.  Hot dogs, nachos, an Andre Tippet jersey I wore to nonfitting rags.  We left early to go out to eat with The Pats being up, and listened on the car radio when the game went into sudden death overtime.  He said, "Son, If we ever get to have an experience like this again, I promise you this, We will not ever again care about beating traffic."  Telling him that it didn't change the fact that it was the best day of my life, I pretended not to see him choke up a little.  Jesus...    

Sentiment and there words fail us in age, and they fail me now. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

"Wow, AGS, you blew that one!

A G-Men fan to a Pats fan?!

Oh, man! Like going from a Corvette to a Rambler! Pathetic!!
    Pathetic, I say! "

Oh yea Jints fan, Why is it you spend all of your time on another team's message board? I'll tell you why, because the Patriots have had far more success than the Giants the last 10 years inspite of the one lucky win.