Zo: talked with all my contacts inside, there is no problem with talib or his work ethic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Zo: talked with all my contacts inside, there is no problem with talib or his work ethic

refuting the recent article questioning his work ethic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Zo: talked with all my contacts inside, there is no problem with talib or his work ethic

Hope they can work out a deal with Talib. Him and Dennard were a big time upgrade over what they had out there to start the season. Keep McCourty at safety. I gave up on Ras Dowling as soon as they drafted him with the first pick of the 2nd round. If he plays this year he wont last more than  a few games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Zo: talked with all my contacts inside, there is no problem with talib or his work ethic

Here's a question though. Is Talib really that good or is he just better than what we have?

In PFF's weird evaluations.

Aqib Talib was the second worst corner in yards per coverage snap.

He also had the second highest 1st down allowed per coverage snap (which is not good)

Also, I believe Mazz pointed out that opponents throwing to him had a QB rating of over 100.

So is Talib that good? Or was Arrington just that bad?

I'd honestly feel safer just franchising him for this season, and see how he plays out after a full year in NE...and in year 2 of our great db coaches

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

bredbru's thread titles are often longer than his OP. I like that

Franchise tag on a db is projected to be 10.6 mill. That's a pretty big number. So I dont see them tagging Talib

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

bredbru's thread titles are often longer than his OP. I like that

Franchise tag on a db is projected to be 10.6 mill. That's a pretty big number. So I dont see them tagging Talib

you tag the player you cant lose. all the tag numbers are high ie o line, db, wr.

losing talib would have the biggest negative impact on the team (in my eyes), thats why if i cant sign talib for 4-24mil-ish (with behavior clause), i tag him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

I don't see them going big time for Talib. They need to address it thought the draft. Hell I'd look at Seattles corners and draft a duplicate.  Talib is an upgrade for sure, but upgrade over what? Dowling is either with the team after camp or he's gone.  if I had my way, I'd trade Hernandez to Arizona for Patrick Peterson. They need another playmaker to pair with Fitz and we need a CB of Petersons caliber. Throw in a 2 as well. Remember they have Ballard on IR which could make up for Hernandez.  I'm in Phoenix so I know how bad they need o help. Hell the sonics out here were offering half off slushies if Cards win. Lets just say that rarely happened.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

I don't see them going big time for Talib. They need to address it thought the draft. Hell I'd look at Seattles corners and draft a duplicate.  Talib is an upgrade for sure, but upgrade over what? Dowling is either with the team after camp or he's gone.  if I had my way, I'd trade Hernandez to Arizona for Patrick Peterson. They need another playmaker to pair with Fitz and we need a CB of Petersons caliber. Throw in a 2 as well. Remember they have Ballard on IR which could make up for Hernandez.  I'm in Phoenix so I know how bad they need o help. Hell the sonics out here were offering half off slushies if Cards win. Lets just say that rarely happened.

Yup Cuz 6-3 6-4 Corners grow on trees They are litterly almost non exsistant.. And there is A less than o% chance Arizona is gonna trade An up and coming Shutdown Corner in Patrick Peterson  even for AH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dont think either team wants to part with those players.

we can tag talib and draft a big elite corner and keep hern.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I would agree that those corners are hard to find. Just saying drafting taller corners would help. No more 5-10 corners.  The Cards have serious o issues. Their D, and even corner isn't their biggest issue. I am not a fan of letting Hernandez go, but gotta give to get.  I'd ask the question. Never know what might happen.  Sign Welker, use Ballard and Gronk, draft a WR plug in Peterson and boom, done. if I were both teams, I'd do it. Value for value. Win win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I would agree that those corners are hard to find. Just saying drafting taller corners would help. No more 5-10 corners.  The Cards have serious o issues. Their D, and even corner isn't their biggest issue. I am not a fan of letting Hernandez go, but gotta give to get.  I'd ask the question. Never know what might happen.  Sign Welker, use Ballard and Gronk, draft a WR plug in Peterson and boom, done. if I were both teams, I'd do it. Value for value. Win win.

dont know that your assessment abotu each teams need is wrong, jsut dont think either team parts with that player. ie they think they can get the other needs in other ways.

xavier rhodes is an elite corner maybe 3rd rated first rounder (bottom rd 1) and 6 2" 215

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Tagging Talib simply doesn't make sense to me.  He made a difference in the secondary but 10.6 mil?  I don't think he's worth it and I don't see it happening.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good corners are hard to find and the Pats don't have a stellar record of finding them with later picks (Dennard is the exception to a rule that includes far too many Wheatleys and Butlers and Wilhites and Dowlings).  I think if we try to get a corner in the draft we may have to trade up to ensure we get a good one because it's a position of burning need with McCourty moved to safety and Talib, Arrington, and Cole all free agents. I think Dennard is currently the only corner of note on the roster. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Good corners are hard to find and the Pats don't have a stellar record of finding them with later picks (Dennard is the exception to a rule that includes far too many Wheatleys and Butlers and Wilhites and Dowlings).  I think if we try to get a corner in the draft we may have to trade up to ensure we get a good one because it's a position of burning need with McCourty moved to safety and Talib, Arrington, and Cole all free agents. I think Dennard is currently the only corner of note on the roster. 

Regrettably I have to agree with what you have posted and particularly the bolded sentence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

So is Talib that good? Or was Arrington just that bad?

Really?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Not to be Captain Obvious, but they haven't done such a great job addressing corner in the draft over the last 7 years or so.  The list of busts goes on and on; Ras I is officially on it as well.   McCourty is a good player, but not a good corner.  Dennard looks good.  Those are the only two keepers I can remember out of the countless high draft choices they've wasted on this position in recent drafts.  I have zero confidence they can fix this in the draft.  Hope they sign Talib.  It was a different defense with him on the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Yup Cuz 6-3 6-4 Corners grow on trees They are litterly almost non exsistant.. And there is A less than o% chance Arizona is gonna trade An up and coming Shutdown Corner in Patrick Peterson  even for AH.

Big, tall corners do exist they just have trouble staying healthy, it's an impact position where often they end up tackling big RB's or getting plowed by offensive lineman pulling out on a screen.  Ras is a great example of that.

Talib is really good, he's physical so his skill is that he doesn't allow receivers many catches, the point of having a fast safety like McCourty back there is to erase the mistakes of physical corners like Talib and Dennard who stop WR's at the line of scrimmage, this also only works if you have the pass rush up front to get to the QB, otherwise eventually these WR's will get open and burn you.

We need Talib or another physical corner who plays like him, whether Ras can stay healthy remains to be seen, but without the pass rush we're no better off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Be nice to sign him, i'm not worried about his work ethic, just his durability to play 16 games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Big, tall corners do exist they just have trouble staying healthy, it's an impact position where often they end up tackling big RB's or getting plowed by offensive lineman pulling out on a screen.  Ras is a great example of that.

Talib is really good, he's physical so his skill is that he doesn't allow receivers many catches, the point of having a fast safety like McCourty back there is to erase the mistakes of physical corners like Talib and Dennard who stop WR's at the line of scrimmage, this also only works if you have the pass rush up front to get to the QB, otherwise eventually these WR's will get open and burn you.

We need Talib or another physical corner who plays like him, whether Ras can stay healthy remains to be seen, but without the pass rush we're no better off.

It's also hard to find tall guys who can react fast to the cuts of WRs.  Shorter guys tend to be more fluid and have better balance.  That's why big, tall corners are so rare. 

Like Wozzy says, rush and coverage complement each other and one without the other isn't all that effective.  As far as the pass rush goes, we don't necessarily need more sacks, but we need to get enough pressure to make QBs have to throw faster.  We also need to be able to collapse the pocket and force the QB to throw on the move when we want to.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd just be worried about giving a very good corner, money that exceeds his performance. Also I worry about this guy getting hurt. Lastly you also have to consider this guy's past - how many off field things has he had? Ten? You can't tell me that all the sudden this stuff is just going to stop. Anyone ever seen this guy do an interview? I've seen convicts look more innocent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'd just be worried about giving a very good corner, money that exceeds his performance. Also I worry about this guy getting hurt. Lastly you also have to consider this guy's past - how many off field things has he had? Ten? You can't tell me that all the sudden this stuff is just going to stop. Anyone ever seen this guy do an interview? I've seen convicts look more innocent.

+1 This

Talib was a good corner. Most certainly better then anything we had but, he wasn't a top 15 CB. He was inconsistent giving up a number of big plays while at times shutting down WR's. Also given his injury history, past off-field history, and on-field work ethic question marks there is zero chance I would toss the tag on him nor would I give him anything long term. As fans we tend to overrate our players but I just don't see other teams coming anything close to the franchise tag for Talib so why even offer him that? With all these issues DRC is a good comparison. What would you give to DRC right now to get him and take a little off to get Talib. I say take a little off because of the risk of suspension for a long length given previous suspensions and DRC is more durable then Talib. Or what would you pay Chris Houston who is just as inconsistent as Talib on the field. Sometimes a shut down corner sometimes gets burned bad

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If you don't like Talib, you gotta find someone else, because all we got is Dennard right now (assuming McCourty is a safety).  If we end up signing back-ups like Cole and Arrington to be the starter opposite Dennard, we are going to be even worse than last year's 29th (or whatever it was) defense against the pass.  

Perfection may be the enemy of the good here.  Maybe it was with Asante Samuel too . . . 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

If you don't like Talib, you gotta find someone else, because all we got is Dennard right now (assuming McCourty is a safety).  If we end up signing back-ups like Cole and Arrington to be the starter opposite Dennard, we are going to be even worse than last year's 29th (or whatever it was) defense against the pass.  

Perfection may be the enemy of the good here.  Maybe it was with Asante Samuel too . . . 

I never said I didn't like Talib but I do think people are completely overrating what he'd command on the market. I mean really tagging Talib? He is a good CB with high upside but if anyone thinks he would command top 10 CB money on the market is just silly. Heck top 20 might be pushing it given his red flags

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The market for corners isn't really all that strong this year, so I think there will be demand for Talib. You may not have to pay him the 10-11 million franchise tag, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could get $8 million or so.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

+1 This

Talib was a good corner. Most certainly better then anything we had but, he wasn't a top 15 CB. He was inconsistent giving up a number of big plays while at times shutting down WR's. Also given his injury history, past off-field history, and on-field work ethic question marks there is zero chance I would toss the tag on him nor would I give him anything long term. As fans we tend to overrate our players but I just don't see other teams coming anything close to the franchise tag for Talib so why even offer him that? With all these issues DRC is a good comparison. What would you give to DRC right now to get him and take a little off to get Talib. I say take a little off because of the risk of suspension for a long length given previous suspensions and DRC is more durable then Talib. Or what would you pay Chris Houston who is just as inconsistent as Talib on the field. Sometimes a shut down corner sometimes gets burned bad

And really, what is his body of work here? He was suspended, played a couple of games and then got hurt...then came back, and then got hurt agin. There isn't a hell of a lot to go off of either way...it's just too risky and it kind of bothers me that this known thug thinks he is going to get a huge payday off of a few games on a good team. I'd sign Goldson if I was going to shell out big money - I know he doesn't play corner, but I've got to think he'd make our secondary better. Draft another corner if you have to...at least Dennard looks like a keeper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Talib and a seventh round pick were traded for a 4th round pick so that gives some idea of how highly the Bucs valued him. And he was injured twice in 7 games for the Pats so his durability is at least a questionmark along with his red flags off the field.

There are a number of mid level CBs on the FA list and I am not sure he is better than any of the others. I really don't see the Pats tagging him - a 10M one year rental just seems out of line with his performance. (I don't see them using the tag on anyone this year - 11M for Welker?, 10M for Vollmer? - just too much money for any of them.)

Some of the available (depending on team actions before FA)

Grimes (ATL) Cox (Jax), Williams (Buf) Willimas (Balt), Cormartie (Phi) Houston (Det)

None of them are world beaters, but ... Some or all of them will be signed for a lot less than 10M. And I would sy they are all in the Talib range of skill. And a tag number is pure cap money, a contract typically shifts a fair amount to later years.