Dice K and psycho babble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Dice K and psycho babble

Dice K's performance against the Blue Jays was truly remarkable, particularly compared to his previous start.  In the past, he has had other outings that were truly amazing as well as some truly terrible starts.

I think he has the stuff to be a potential Cy Young winner, but might find his way out of Boston if he can't figure out how to pitch well, more consistently.

This is what I think - he needs his back up against the wall to pitch well.  All of the discussions about pitch count and between start regiment gets in the way of his pitching well.  When his back is against the wall, and it's do or die, he comes through with an outstanding performance.

I think he needs to be a #1 pitcher some place, or at least put in a position where every outing is do or die.

I think he thrives in the pressure and a lack of pressure makes it hard for him to concentrate.

In Japan, he was a superstar.  He was THE MAN.  On the Red Sox, he's the 5th starter.  This isn't to say that he doesn't like being the 5th starter or that he thinks he's too good to be the 5th start.  Rather, it's to say he thrives in the pressure of being a #1 starter or at least in situations where he has to focus.

Think about it - for the longest time, he had an MLB career era of 0.00 when the bases were loaded?  Who does that?  Who consistently goes from being so sloppy that he loads the bases, and then so sharp that he gets out of the inning with out giving up a run?

By the way - in this sense, he isn't too different from Beckett.  He also has had some truly terrible starts, but there isn't anyone better in a playoff situatiion.

just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

Re: Dice K and psycho babble

I'm afraid I disagree.  I've come to believe there's really not much of anything  truly remarkable about Matsuzaka.  When I think of his salary, plus the effort & treasury the Sox invested in acquiring him from the Japanese team, he's turned out to be an average pitcher, surely not worth $100 million.  Wouldn't you agree?  Remember when management went out to personally bid on another pitcher they were interested in, but then they came back with Curt Schilling?  Like Matsuzaka, Schilling had to deal with inconvenient injuries, but look at the difference - no, look at the bloody sock!

I really think they've got to find another team for this guy.  The Sox could really use the six or seven more games Matsuzaka is going to lose for them the rest of the way, but moved over to the victory column.  It could make the difference in making the playoffs, or even winning the division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

THANK YOU, MISTAKSUZAKA:

Thanks for letting your quota of Baltimore runs in early enough so Francona could go ahead & take you out for a good reliever.  You actually helped the Sox win for a change.  We're welcome?  Yes, we're sure.  How about another $1 million paycheck now.  There, feel better now?  Oops, you say you've got a little twinge in your forearm.  Poor baby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

Can we believe it?  Mistaksuzaka is actually INJURED?  And now we won't see his fabulous masterworks on the mound for, what?, another several weeks?  Gosh, that'll hardly give him time to get down to the bank to deposit another $1 million pay.  Think he'll injure himself further while he's in that trot? 

I pray to God that Theo will use this time to locate a real pitcher somewhere who'll replace "The Mistake" and give the Sox a chance to continue rolling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Dice K and psycho babble:
    [QUOTE]Can we believe it?  Mistaksuzaka is actually INJURED?  And now we won't see his fabulous masterworks on the mound for, what?, another several weeks?  Gosh, that'll hardly give him time to get down to the bank to deposit another $1 million pay.  Think he'll injure himself further while he's in that trot?  I pray to God that Theo will use this time to locate a real pitcher somewhere who'll replace "The Mistake" and give the Sox a chance to continue rolling.
    Posted by Floridamorgan[/QUOTE]

I was never in favor of signing Dice K. because of all the innings he had already racked up at such a young age in Japan.  The cost just didn't seem worth the risk.