#1 Priority is a Good Manager

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

#1 Priority is a Good Manager

This board is talking about many player moves but I am more concerned about who our next manager will be.  I have no real idea who will fit into the Red Sox plans.  I am not to aware of the best candidates either.  Perhaps the board can shed some light on the subject.  I mean the first 2 interviews aren't exciting anyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: #1 Priority is a Good Manager

I hear Bosox1941 is interviewing for the position...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

a good manager? what is that? the Sox need a smart, aggressive person who can lead and set the tone. he must be willing to hire and keep good people on staff, and listen to their ideas. he needs to be able to understand and relate to metrics, as well as have a deep enough history in the game to also understand the nuances that metrics do not uncover.
    this team, as it currently looks (and most likely will be tweaked to improvements) can win 85 games with you and me managing. Sox need to find a manager that will grow into the job to put them over the top on 8-12 more games.
    was Francona a "good manager" when he came aboard? no. but he fit the bill, until he started to lose good people around him. same with Maddon. was he a good manager when the Sox interviewed him? no.
    Look, one thing that the Sox do have, is smart people. Henry, Lucchino, Cherington, Baird, to name only a few, are very, very smart. They will pick the right person to manage the team. it will be up to that person to quickly grasp the system, surround himself with equally bright people, and grow into the job.
    I am confident in the process 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to #1 Priority is a Good Manager:
    [QUOTE]This board is talking about many player moves but I am more concerned about who our next manager will be.  I have no real idea who will fit into the Red Sox plans.  I am not to aware of the best candidates either.  Perhaps the board can shed some light on the subject.  I mean the first 2 interviews aren't exciting anyone.
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

I would love to see Dave Martinez from TB  as manager let him bring some coaches along with him.We could move Crawford to leadoff.CC would feel right at home with TB manager and maybe a coach or two. Then we have ELLS bat second ,more power and high on base Per.Pedrioa third and then Agon. Just my thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: #1 Priority is a Good Manager:
    [QUOTE]In Response to #1 Priority is a Good Manager : I would love to see Dave Martinez from TB  as manager let him bring some coaches along with him.We could move Crawford to leadoff.CC would feel right at home with TB manager and maybe a coach or two. Then we have ELLS bat second ,more power and high on base Per.Pedrioa third and then Agon. Just my thought.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

I am into Martinez, by virtue of his sheer proximity to Joe Maddon.  I think, more than 'discipline', these guys need energy and tenacity.  Martinez will infuse that into the culture, and will likely push the envelope (as much as the Red Sox Way manual allows him), as his current boss and mentor does.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Pick any one of these three and make the other 2 coaches. #1 Mike Lowell, #2 Dennis Eckersley, #3 Carlton Fisk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

But who cares if you or I am unimpressed? This management group has shown the deep pockets, brains and aggressiveness to win 90 plus every year. What makes you think this decision will be any different? Smart guys. I bet they choose correctly and the team is knocking on 95 wins next year. Too bad you think anything less than WS is a failing year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'm completely unimpressed so far with the process of finding a new manager. It just seems like the candidates thus far have been light weights, chosen more for their likelyhood to make Cherington feel comfortable with them than anything else. Look, when a ship loses a captain during a fierce storm or other crisis, you don't want to appoint a shiny faced newbie with zero experience to take the helm. You want that crusty older veteran leader who commands respect from the crew. I'm not suggesting an ultra militant disciplinarian like some are calling for, this team's make-up couldn't handle that now, but a true leader who won't be pushed around by some of the more difficult personalities on this team. We also don't need an interum manager designed to take the heat for last seasons issues and the coming transitions. It's going to be a rocky ride for sure, and I can understand Cheringtons possible desire to hire a guy to absorb all the heat and be moved along after a year, but we have a ring to win THIS very season...don't we? I for one will be watching closely to see how this plays itself out, and make no mistake: The Nation won't tolerate another "bridge year".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I'm completely unimpressed so far with the process of finding a new manager. It just seems like the candidates thus far have been light weights, chosen more for their likelyhood to make Cherington feel comfortable with them than anything else. Look, when a ship loses a captain during a fierce storm or other crisis, you don't want to appoint a shiny faced newbie with zero experience to take the helm. You want that crusty older veteran leader who commands respect from the crew. I'm not suggesting an ultra militant disciplinarian like some are calling for, this team's make-up couldn't handle that now, but a true leader who won't be pushed around by some of the more difficult personalities on this team. We also don't need an interum manager designed to take the heat for last seasons issues and the coming transitions. It's going to be a rocky ride for sure, and I can understand Cheringtons possible desire to hire a guy to absorb all the heat and be moved along after a year, but we have a ring to win THIS very season...don't we? I for one will be watching closely to see how this plays itself out, and make no mistake: The Nation won't tolerate another "bridge year".
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

I never expect to win a ring or count on it. Very few teams are that good on paper to have that feeling of entitlement. The Nation will tolerate whatever happens this year and learn to live with it. We can only hope that the team is competitive and entertaining. Their success will depend upon bounceback years from some players, few injuries, and the proper acquisitions. Enjoy the season but don't expect a rose garden since you were never promised that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BILL-806 WITH DAD AS THE BENCH COACH !!!!!Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I'm completely unimpressed so far with the process of finding a new manager. It just seems like the candidates thus far have been light weights, chosen more for their likelyhood to make Cherington feel comfortable with them than anything else. Look, when a ship loses a captain during a fierce storm or other crisis, you don't want to appoint a shiny faced newbie with zero experience to take the helm. You want that crusty older veteran leader who commands respect from the crew. I'm not suggesting an ultra militant disciplinarian like some are calling for, this team's make-up couldn't handle that now, but a true leader who won't be pushed around by some of the more difficult personalities on this team. We also don't need an interum manager designed to take the heat for last seasons issues and the coming transitions. It's going to be a rocky ride for sure, and I can understand Cheringtons possible desire to hire a guy to absorb all the heat and be moved along after a year, but we have a ring to win THIS very season...don't we? I for one will be watching closely to see how this plays itself out, and make no mistake: The Nation won't tolerate another "bridge year".
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you might want to shed some light on the heavyweights that we should be interviewing? My guess is that Cherington and Luccino have identified the key attributes required in the next manager and his key coaches (Bench, Pitching, and hitting instructors). I trust that they'll find what they believe to be the best guy for the job, then go about retooling the roster with the same goals they've had in the now almost ten years under Henry's ownership...The names have changed, the goals haven't...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have a brother who has won 5 state Championships in two different states he should be the next Sox manager but first he'ld have to be interviewed, that being said the Sox should look into hiring Ryne Sanberg asTheo has already told him he's not getting the Chicago gig. All of the other candidates are about the same type of guy bench coaches and one pitching coach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Time to get serious....

Cut the nonsense and bring in Freddie Blassie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I completely disagree with the OP or the idea that a manager is the key when in fact it was the pitching that disintegrated this year. 

The discipline thing will not be an issue thanks to all those articles about beer in the barracks, etc.  Firing the fitness coaches puts the overweight crew on notice. 

Francona's managerial style worked great, and a lot of good players produced under his leadership.  I am fine with his departure and even with blaming the September collapse on him, but everyone seems to forget that for five months his managerial style was enabling the Sox to lead the AL and AL East and to be headed for 100 wins. 

The team isn't broken.  The pitching might be, but at least Cherington has three pretty good starters as a base to build upon, to say nothing of the best offense (most runs scored, highest OPS, etc) in MLB this season. 

If Cherington can solve the pitching problem, my seventh grade teacher Mrs Potts could manage this team next year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Whoever we get, the same guys will criticize over and over again. I don't see anyone who jumps out at me as a difference maker. I'm kind of in max's camp, in that I think it will all be about our pitching and not how our manager disciplines or motivates the players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

[QUOTE]a good manager? what is that? the Sox need a smart, aggressive person who can lead and set the tone. he must be willing to hire and keep good people on staff, and listen to their ideas. he needs to be able to understand and relate to metrics, as well as have a deep enough history in the game to also understand the nuances that metrics do not uncover. this team, as it currently looks (and most likely will be tweaked to improvements) can win 85 games with you and me managing. Sox need to find a manager that will grow into the job to put them over the top on 8-12 more games. was Francona a "good manager" when he came aboard? no. but he fit the bill, until he started to lose good people around him. same with Maddon. was he a good manager when the Sox interviewed him? no. Look, one thing that the Sox do have, is smart people. Henry, Lucchino, Cherington, Baird, to name only a few, are very, very smart. They will pick the right person to manage the team. it will be up to that person to quickly grasp the system, surround himself with equally bright people, and grow into the job. I am confident in the process 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I agree. However,managing this team with all the egos will take a Maddon type. I certainly hope that the FO realizes that a Bobby Vaentine is impossible due to his  demeanor. Bad fit.I have no clue as to Maddux. We will need someone that can handle these guys as pros and make sure that when in trouble interally. Not much of a candid manager type out. Peter Mc may be  the right man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The Nation is not entitled to nor should it "expect to win a ring." But what is and should be expected, is that the team will have the tools necessary for a legitimate CHANCE to win a ring EACH AND EVERY SEASON. We don't believe in "bridge years" and taking seasons off, that's the sissy talk of losers. Our loyalty to this team drives a financial engine second only to the Yankees, and to whom much is given-much is required.

" The nation will tolerate whatever happens this year and learn to live with it." Wowsa. A wee bit arrogant there, aren't we? I assure you that after last seasons debacle, a wise franchise would be seeking every opportunity to send the exact opposite message to it's fans. How about: "you are appreciated, we know last season hurt, and we're going to do whatever it takes to right this ship and charge strongly towards another chance for a ring. " Only a fool looks with disdain at the customers who provide them their livelyhood. Boston fans are some of the smartest in the game, and know well how to be patient when patience is truly due. Yes, their are extreme voices in all organizations numbering in the millions of people, but the vast majority are reasonable folk and should be treated with respect.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Priority is a Good Manager : I never expect to win a ring or count on it. Very few teams are that good on paper to have that feeling of entitlement. The Nation will tolerate whatever happens this year and learn to live with it. We can only hope that the team is competitive and entertaining. Their success will depend upon bounceback years from some players, few injuries, and the proper acquisitions. Enjoy the season but don't expect a rose garden since you were never promised that.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Teakus might have the creepiest avatar on the internet...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Rofl! And if it were a light skinned superhero instead of a dark one, you'd be ok with it? Fear not amigo, his intentions are entirely honorable. He's actually very pleasant in person. When not off fighting crime, he's home watching Red Sox games and enjoying the occasional cold beverage like the rest of us. He's incessantly cheerful at times, and has recently been on a tangent about how good the Sox are gonna be next year, and how "we'll get dem Yanks next seaon!",etc. I hope he's right bro!

[QUOTE]Teakus might have the creepiest avatar on the internet...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Despite the unprecedented hiccup at year's end, this team remains a World Series championship waiting to happen.

What's happened has happened.  Let's move on and I, for one, have confidence in the team's ability to make a good decision on the new manager.

I like the Martinez and  Sweum types but they do know better..............

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Rofl! And if it were a light skinned superhero instead of a dark one, you'd be ok with it? Fear not amigo, his intentions are entirely honorable. He's actually very pleasant in person. When not off fighting crime, he's home watching Red Sox games and enjoying the occasional cold beverage like the rest of us. He's incessantly cheerful at times, and has recently been on a tangent about how good the Sox are gonna be next year, and how "we'll get dem Yanks next seaon!",etc. I hope he's right bro! In Response to Re: #1 Priority is a Good Manager :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

No idea whether or not he was a superhero, or what color the skin was.

I just saw this shadowy head moving around from the corner of my eye. Caught me by surprise.  It got really weird when he started mouthing words at me.  I swear he was sayng "My name is Talking Tina, and I'm going to kill you."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

The next manager--- TONY PENA!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Haha!! He's a rapscallian for sure! :p

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Priority is a Good Manager : No idea whether or not he was a superhero, or what color the skin was.   I just saw this shadowy head moving around from the corner of my eye. Caught me by surprise.  It got really weird when he started mouthing words at me.  I swear he was sayng "My name is Talking Tina, and I'm going to kill you."
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Haha!! He's a rapscallian for sure! :p In Response to Re: #1 Priority is a Good Manager :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

I don't know you, so when I read your post I looked at your profile. For the life of me, I can't see anything wrong with your posts -- even past posts on your profile, and yet, you're under review. Why is that?

And, FTR, I mean no offense by my comment, I'm just trying to understand how the moderating system works.

Edit: There's a Yankee poster who constantly puts up abusive graphics of me. He's not only not under review, but reinstated to original name and post count. Go figure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why not start a thread titled: : The Manager is one of many Red Sox priorities". Why is it so important for everyone to prioritize the Red Sox needs?

What this country needs a a good $1 cigar.