10 key changes before next season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

10 key changes before next season

As our options stand today, this is what I would like to see next season although not necessarily in this order. 

#1 At the very least guys like Dice, Josh, Jenks, Lackey, Punto, Aviles, Valencia and Padilla gone one way or another.  I say dump as much salary and "head cases" as possible.  Do we give CC one more season/surgery before finding him a new home?  Maybe, unless we can package him along with a couple top prospects for a reliable OF like Braun. 

#2 Let Papi walk to save the money.  At this point is he really hurt or just unhappy like a few others?  Time to move on from all the drama

#3 Bobby V. replaced, it has to happen to make these guys play harder.

#4 Whoever plays better between Iggy or Ciriaco at SS starts, the loser ends up our utility guy but stays in the bigs. 

#5 Bradley brought up before the end of Jacoby's contract.  We won't get much for Ells in a trade because Boras would be in the picture shortly after.

#6 Lav and Salty at catcher to start the season with Lav also splitting time at DH with Gomez to save Papi's money for pitching.  They both have good splits and should give us some quality starts.

#7 Keep Ross in RF, he has earned his stay in Boston for another year at least.

#8 Package some offensive prospects, along with Bard to the Mariners for Walker, Hultzen or another top pitching prospect from another team to pair with Barnes in a year or two.

#9 Sign, or trade for at least "one" top flight starter but give Lester more time to rebound along side Clay and Doub.  Maybe keep guys like Cook, Morales, Aceves and Miller around as well. 

#10 Most important, start the season with "hungry youths" and new attitude towards winning. This should begin with Pede and AGon.

Kids like Barnes, Bogaerts and Bradley should be the three prospects we protect most if possible. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: 10 key changes before next season

#3....why wait?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season:
    [QUOTE]#3....why wait?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Just think management will let him finish the season DC, but I don't disagree with letting him go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Amazing that the team's management would rather the team wallow in defeat under a terrible manager, then make a change now that at least could be ignite whatever is in that dugout. Laugh all you want, but the LA Kings did the "risky" thing of firing a well-liked competent head coach to hire Brian Sutter--result? Team plays great hockey last month of year, makes playoffs, wins Stanley Cup. . . But no, you can't change the manager in Boston because that would be admitting fault. The PR spin is over, they suck, how bout just changing that image by starting with firing BV and saying, "We're going to try to win, and we can't fire 25 players." Leave it at that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to 10 key changes before next season:
    [QUOTE]As our options stand today, this is what I would like to see next season although not necessarily in this order.  #1 At the very least guys like Dice, Josh, Jenks, Lackey, Punto, Aviles, Valencia and Padilla gone one way or another.  I say dump as much salary and "head cases" as possible.  Do we give CC one more season/surgery before finding him a new home?  Maybe, unless we can package him with prospects for a reliable OF like Braun.  #2 Let Papi walk to save the money.  At this point is he really hurt or just unhappy like a few others?  Time to move on from all the drama #3 Bobby V. replaced, it has to happen to make these guys play harder.   #4 Whoever plays better between Iggy or Ciriaco at SS starts, the loser ends up our utility guy but stays in the bigs.  #5  Bradley brought up before the end of   Jacoby's contract.  We won't get much for Ells in a trade because Boras would be in the picture shortly after. #6 Lav and Salty at catcher to start the season with Lav also splitting time at DH with Gomez to save Papi's money for pitching.  They both have good splits and should give us some quality starts. #7 Keep Ross in RF,   he has earned his stay in Boston   for   another year at least . #8  Package   some offensive   prospects , along with Bard   to the Mariners for Walker , Hultzen or another top pitching prospect from another team to pair with Barnes in a year or two. #9 Sign, or trade for at least  " one " top flight starter   but give Lester more time to rebound   along side   Clay and   Doub.  Maybe keep guys like Cook, Morales, Aceves and Miller around as well.   #10 Most important, start the season with " hungry youths" and new attitude towards winning. This should begin with Pede and AGon. Kids like Barnes, Bogaerts and Bradley should be the three prospects we protect most if possible. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

#1 Jenks is already gone, Dice and padilla contracts are up too...Valencia can provide some depth in AAA. CC will need to get TJS, but i think he can rebound to at least his career norms.
    #2  I agree, although I love papi and the only way he comes back, IMO, is at a much cheaper cost.
    #3  I believe this will happen too...
    #4  Dont sleep on Bogaerts at SS...Hes already doing well at AA...
    #5  If we cant get a near MLB ready solid prospect +1, I keep Ells and bring Bradley up in 2014...No need to waste JBJ's talent riding the pine in Boston. If Ells goes before 2013, then I give the kid a shot in ST.
    #6  Like the idea of a Salty/Lav combo better than Shoppach.
    #7  Ross will have to be signed for at least 2, maybe 3 year deal IMO. i would offer 2yr deal.
    #8  I agree that we will need to part ways with a couple good prospects that are blocked to get a top starter back.
    #9  I think the FO should make a statement and trade beckett. Leaving  Buchholz, Lester, Doubront, and we have to pitch Lackey to possibly trade him at deadline. With the option year at the minimum, we could eat a little less $$ and providing his pitching ok, a trade shouldnt be a problem.
    #10  The only one I would trade out of those 3 prospects is Barnes and only if it involves King Felix.
    We should be seeing the next wave of prospects filtering up to Boston over the next 2 years...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing that the team's management would rather the team wallow in defeat under a terrible manager, then make a change now that at least could be ignite whatever is in that dugout. Laugh all you want, but the LA Kings did the "risky" thing of firing a well-liked competent head coach to hire Brian Sutter--result? Team plays great hockey last month of year, makes playoffs, wins Stanley Cup. . . But no, you can't change the manager in Boston because that would be admitting fault. The PR spin is over, they suck, how bout just changing that image by starting with firing BV and saying, "We're going to try to win, and we can't fire 25 players." Leave it at that. 

Could still happen but not much time left to make a decision DC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]#3....why wait?

DC I was in the group that thought we should wait till the end of the season to can BV. After that silly comment he made about the team the other day I now agree he should've be fired ASAP. I think he actually wants to get canned. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

it's a week too late in my mind, but it's just about impossible now to make the change and see results. Of course, I asked for him to be fired after month 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

stan, thank you for joining the minority group. Finally, someone who sees what BV is doing.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If an employee said what BV said in a private company that wasn't a pro franchise, he would have been fired on the spot. You don't talk badly about your
    own company, and that's what BV basically did. He is an idiot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 10 key changes before next season : #1 Jenks is already gone, Dice and padilla contracts are up too...Valencia can provide some depth in AAA. CC will need to get TJS, but i think he can rebound to at least his career norms. #2  I agree, although I love papi and the only way he comes back, IMO, is at a much cheaper cost. #3  I believe this will happen too... #4  Dont sleep on Bogaerts at SS...Hes already doing well at AA... #5  If we cant get a near MLB ready solid prospect +1, I keep Ells and bring Bradley up in 2014...No need to waste JBJ's talent riding the pine in Boston. If Ells goes before 2013, then I give the kid a shot in ST. #6  Like the idea of a Salty/Lav combo better than Shoppach. #7  Ross will have to be signed for at least 2, maybe 3 year deal IMO. i would offer 2yr deal. #8  I agree that we will need to part ways with a couple good prospects that are blocked to get a top starter back. #9  I think the FO should make a statement and trade beckett. Leaving  Buchholz, Lester, Doubront, and we have to pitch Lackey to possibly trade him at deadline. With the option year at the minimum, we could eat a little less $$ and providing his pitching ok, a trade shouldnt be a problem. #10  The only one I would trade out of those 3 prospects is Barnes and only if it involves King Felix. We should be seeing the next wave of prospects filtering up to Boston over the next 2 years...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Barnes part of a Felix package?  I can't argue with that southpaw but the Mariners need mostly offense.  We need less expense and another pitching prospect or two, especially if we were to lose Barnes.  If we can manage to do both in the next year or two I like our future.

I also agree Bogaerts shouldn't be traded unless it's in a package like you mentioned with Felix.  Getting a Braun type with a high OBP and power who rarely gets hurt would probably convince me to part ways with Bogy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby V. replaced, it has to happen to make these guys play harder Great point, these guys haven't played hard for Tito or Bobby V. Get another guy to fire, repeat and rinse, repeat and rinse.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because if two guys can't do it no one in the entire world can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby V. replaced, it has to happen to make these guys play harder Great point, these guys haven't played hard for Tito or Bobby V. Get another guy to fire, repeat and rinse, repeat and rinse.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

His tactical errors, the mere volume of them, puts his continued presence on the team for another year in question. Meanwhile, he is not going anywhere soon; Lucchino said as much today. If he is to be fired it should be well into the offseason so that the players do not feel they had any part in the decision.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season : Barnes part of a Felix package?  I can't argue with that southpaw but the Mariners need mostly offense.  We need less expense and another pitching prospect or two, especially if we were to lose Barnes.  If we can manage to do both in the next year or two I like our future. I also agree Bogaerts shouldn't be traded unless it's in a package like you mentioned with Felix.  Getting a Braun type with a high OBP and power who rarely gets hurt would probably convince me to part ways with Bogy.

I think if the M's are even going to consider a Felix trade they will want to replace him with a proven MLB arm, ie; Buch or Lester, along with a top pitching prospect thats about a year or so away, ie; Barnes. The other 3-4 picks would be the offense they need...Its gonna take 5-6 players IMO to get it done. make no mistake though, it will cost us. We have to keep JBJ and Bogie right now IMO. If were getting a Felix type pitcher then Im ok with Barnes going.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season : Yeah, because if two guys can't do it no one in the entire world can.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Who would you prefer as manager? Right now there are no good options that I can think of even if BV was fired. Not sure who might become available after the end of the season. I would not be opposed to firing him as a part of a larger package of changes, but not if that is the only change.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season : I think if the M's are even going to consider a Felix trade they will want to replace him with a proven MLB arm, ie; Buch or Lester, along with a top pitching prospect thats about a year or so away, ie; Barnes. The other 3-4 picks would be the offense they need...Its gonna take 5-6 players IMO to get it done. make no mistake though, it will cost us. We have to keep JBJ and Bogie right now IMO. If were getting a Felix type pitcher then Im ok with Barnes going.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

With kids like Paxton, Walker and Hultzen already in the picture for the Mariners southpaw, we may not need to give away Barnes.  It would also leave us very slim in the minors for good arms if the others fail us or end up on the DL.

Don't forget, Felix is great but he isn't making the Mariners any better and probably never will without offense.  I think guys like Ells, Bogy or even Pede may be packaged before Barnes.  With Bogy, Ciriaco and Iggy we have a few options at SS and 2B if we needed to trade Pede.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season : Who would you prefer as manager? Right now there are no good options that I can think of even if BV was fired. Not sure who might become available after the end of the season. I would not be opposed to firing him as a part of a larger package of changes, but not if that is the only change.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

I liked Pena before the start of last year, I still like Pena.

There is a place between "buddy" Francona and "dooshnozzle" Bobby V.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Yes, I like that Crawford and some prospects, for Braun trade.
    I'm sure the Brewers will jump at that.
    Try Corey Hart, and throw in some prospects with Crawford, and
    you'll be closer to reality.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm ok with Ex-Sox Pena

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Sox need to bring back Ortiz until he definitely shows he's washed up. He was carrying the offense all year and had one of the best OPS' in the league. When he got hurt, he was in the top five in HR, RBI, BA, SLG, OPS. That's not easily replaced. Look at the 'slugs' the Sox have had at DH since he got hurt.

And I don't want to hear crp about teams don't pay $15M for DHs. He's not getting paid $15M because he plays DH. He gets paid that kind of money because he's been a 30-plus home run, 100-RBI and top 5 OPS guy, and teams certainly pay $15M for that kind of production regardless of where they play.

The last three weeks or so should be Exhibit A on why the Sox need him back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree with everything in the OP except #2, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows how I feel about Big Papi.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, I like that Crawford and some prospects, for Braun trade. I'm sure the Brewers will jump at that. Try Corey Hart, and throw in some prospects with Crawford, and you'll be closer to reality.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

We have some high quality prospects, anything is possible depending on a teams need.  There are very few guys that can make this team better instantly and worth packaging Barnes and/or Bogaerts for.  Braun and Felix are just two of them. 

Cory Harts best position is RF.  Hart also doesn't play LF very well but I like his splits a bit better than Ross. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season : With kids like Paxton, Walker and Hultzen already in the picture for the Mariners southpaw, we may not need to give away Barnes.  It would also leave us very slim in the minors for good arms if the others fail us or end up on the DL. Don't forget, Felix is great but he isn't making the Mariners any better and probably never will without offense.  I think guys like Ells, Bogy or even Pede may be packaged before Barnes.  With Bogy, Ciriaco and Iggy we have a few options at SS and 2B if we needed to trade Pede.  
    Seattle's run differential has gone from -185 in 2010 to -119 in 2011 to -9 so far this season. Behind their young hitters, the Mariners' run production has gone from 3.17 runs per game in 2010 to 3.43 runs per game in 2011 and 3.91 runs per game so far this season. The M's rank fourth among all MLB teams in runs scored on the road. The overall Seattle numbers are skewed by Safeco Field, where opponents this season have posted a .219/.279/.327/.612 line to the .208/.281/.301/.582 line posted by the Mariners.

Many signs suggest the Mariners are improving.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 key changes before next season : Seattle's run differential has gone from -185 in 2010 to -119 in 2011 to -9 so far this season. Behind their young hitters, the Mariners' run production has gone from 3.17 runs per game in 2010 to 3.43 runs per game in 2011 and 3.91 runs per game so far this season. The M's rank fourth among all MLB teams in runs scored on the road. The overall Seattle numbers are skewed by Safeco Field, where opponents this season have posted a .219/.279/.327/.612 line to the .208/.281/.301/.582 line posted by the Mariners. Many signs suggest the Mariners are improving.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Agreed hill but with young arms like Paxton, Walker and Hultzen, the Mariners have a nice young staff.  Felix is the only guy along with these three youngsters that may get a nice return.

Trading Felix before he ages, or possibly ends up on the DL would probably improve their club before the present lineup improves enough to make a real difference.