100 wins?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

100 wins?

As I remember predictions before the season started, most folks were saying that 80-85 wins would be a nice recovery from last year.

Many fewer said 85-90 and I can't remember anyone calling for over 90 wins.

Right now, being 9-1 in our last 10 starts, we're on pace for right at 100 wins. Lots can happen down the stretch, but what are the predictions now?

Who thinks we'll do .614 or better?

Who thinks 90+ wins and a playoff spot is a gimmie?

If we played .500 ball to the trade deadline I think we could just sit back and let offers come to us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: 100 wins?

Just goes to show, once again, how difficult this game is to predict.

At this point, certainly, anything less than the division and say 93-94 wins would be disappointing.

But don't try to project to the end of the year, because what's going to happen from here on is just as hard to predict as what's happened till now.

Just enjoy how well the team is playing and enjoy the ride.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Before the season began, I predicted an 87-75 record. 

Buccholz needs to come back and Lester needs to pick it up.

So far, a nice five-game lead in the AL East.   Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

At this point, certainly, anything less than the division and say 93-94 wins would be disappointing.

But don't try to project to the end of the year, because what's going to happen from here on is just as hard to predict as what's happened till now.

90 plus wins is definitely within the teams grasp. Given the depth of our starting rotation And the overall depth of the roster. I don't foresee them going into a prolonged losing streak. Getting Buccholz back and keeping him on the field will certainly bolster their chances.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

at the start of the year I said everything had to go right with few injuries as possible and better fill-ins (depth) when we did have them. I said 90 wins at the most for that to happen. This team is certainly surprising everyone so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I thought this team would contend for a playoff spot, but I didn't imagine they would be doing as well as they are.  Nothing is a given, but I feel pretty good about the postseason.

The Pythagorean W-L record is a pretty good indicator of how a team will perform for the remainder of the season.  Based on that win %, the team projects to 98.5 wins.

Just for fun, BP projects 93.5 wins and just for Pumpsie, Coolstandings projects 98.1 wins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I would doubt it.  It's a bit like the Poster that said the Sun Was Setting on another Red Sox Season, back in May, after we lost a couple in a row.  You're never as good as it looks when you are winning, and never as bad as you look when you are losing.

To be honest, this is giving me that uncomfortable 2011 feeling when we were playing way over our level of talent.  It feels unsustainable to be able to play this well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I thought this team would contend for a playoff spot, but I didn't imagine they would be doing as well as they are.  Nothing is a given, but I feel pretty good about the postseason.

The Pythagorean W-L record is a pretty good indicator of how a team will perform for the remainder of the season.  Based on that win %, the team projects to 98.5 wins.

Just for fun, BP projects 93.5 wins and just for Pumpsie, Coolstandings projects 98.1 wins.

That clicking sound you just hears was Pumpsie unbookmarking Coolstandings.

FWIW, I think the 93.5 sounds perfectly acceptable.  That would be ~ .550 the rest of the way.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I would doubt it.  It's a bit like the Poster that said the Sun Was Setting on another Red Sox Season, back in May, after we lost a couple in a row.  You're never as good as it looks when you are winning, and never as bad as you look when you are losing.

To be honest, this is giving me that uncomfortable 2011 feeling when we were playing way over our level of talent.  It feels unsustainable to be able to play this well.

im with you on this one. Talking about 100 wins now is like talking about a pitchers no-no at the start of the 5th inning. Not only is it premature but YOU JUST DON'T DO IT!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

However Joe, the SOX's starting pitching is better and deeper than it was in 2011. Look what the SOX have done w/o Buchholz; utterly amazing.

[/QUOTE]

In that respect, this is more like 2007.  It kind of fades over time, but one of the keys to winning in 2007 was Lester and Buchholz arriving with a 7-1, as well as Gabbard in a support role with a 4-0.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

How could it be disappointing?  They have given us a year to date that NO ONE imagined. As you said just enjoy the ride and

in addition I say do not worry about the end until the end.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In 2011 the Red Sox were 53-35 after 88 games (and 20 games above .500 at 55-35 on July 10 after 90 games), but failed to advance to the postseason with 90 wins.

The 2013 Red Sox have solidified their position as a serious contender, but it's a long season.

Some Sox fans hated the Cool Standings website when I cited it last year, but Cool Standings currently projects 98.1 wins for the Red Sox with a 71.2 percent chance of winning the AL East, 20.6 percent chance of winning a Wild Card berth and a 91.8 percent chance of advancing to the postseason.

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In 2011 the Red Sox were 53-35 after 88 games (and 20 games above .500 at 55-35 on July 10 after 90 games), but failed to advance to the postseason with 90 wins.

The 2013 Red Sox have solidified their position as a serious contender, but it's a long season.

Some Sox fans hated the Cool Standings website when I cited it last year, but Cool Standings currently projects 98.1 wins for the Red Sox with a 71.2 percent chance of winning the AL East, 20.6 percent chance of winning a Wild Card berth and a 91.8 percent chance of advancing to the postseason.

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp

Any word from Cool Standings on when the Mariners might win their first World Series ?