2 concerns from last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2 concerns from last night

1)  When Buck was struggling why didn't Farrell or the pitching coach come out to talk w/ him?  Why didn't Salty make ONE visit to the mound himself?

2) We have no one to bat 5th to protect Ortiz in the line up

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: 2 concerns from last night

Stop whining.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stop whining.

[/QUOTE]

These are legitmate concerns.  I suppose I won't expect you to comprehend the difference.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Agree on both points in the OP.  It also bothered me that the first guy out to the mound in the 6th innings was Farrell, who took Buch out.  As a minimum, Nieves or Salty should have gone out if only to buy time for the bullpen.

I see two solutions to the dilemma related to Ortiz.  First is the obvious one of using Nava.  The other is to bat Pedroia 4th and Ortiz 3d.  The downside there is that Ells and Vic are our two best basestealers and will do less of it with Ortiz in the on deck circle or at the plate. 

You can bet Farrell has given the Ortiz situation a lot of thought. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree on both points in the OP.  It also bothered me that the first guy out to the mound in the 6th innings was Farrell, who took Buch out.  As a minimum, Nieves or Salty should have gone out if only to buy time for the bullpen.

I see two solutions to the dilemma related to Ortiz.  First is the obvious one of using Nava.  The other is to bat Pedroia 4th and Ortiz 3d.  The downside there is that Ells and Vic are our two best basestealers and will do less of it with Ortiz in the on deck circle or at the plate. 

You can bet Farrell has given the Ortiz situation a lot of thought. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes and re:  the 5-hole I thought about those same 2 solutions.  I'd probably give Nava a shot.  The question there is does Gomes stay in over Naps or Carp therefore, moving Nava to 1B?  I also considered moving Vic to 5th but I don't want to break up him and Ells.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have no one to bat 5th to protect Ortiz in the line up

And if Manager Jim (stated that he would walk Pujols with bases loaded) wasn't incompetent about your correct concern, the Red Sox would be down 2 games to Zero. 

Manager Jim is all that stands behind the Red Sox still being alive in this series. Let's hope he pridefully makes the same or similar decision, again.

[/QUOTE]

if ever there was a time to walk a man w/ the bases juiced, that was it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

Do not take Gomes out of the lineup - too much of a sparkplug. He's the hot goalie right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do not take Gomes out of the lineup - too much of a sparkplug. He's the hot goalie right now.

[/QUOTE]

OK so what's the line-up look like?

We should review the match-ups w/ JV

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Let us not forget, the Sox went from worst to 1st. No one expected this kind of turn around. Therefore, Enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.

Now concerning the point. Someone should have gone out to Buck or at least he should have been pulled after Fielder's double following the homer. And surely after Martinez roped his double. With regards to who should follow Papi. Well, if Naps can wake up it should not be an issue. If not, moving Nava or Gomes there might be good too. Again, enjoy the ride. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

After Napoli, Nava has started more games (25) in the 5th spot this year. Has a .337 BA. Gomes is hitting .233 in the 5th spot this year, 18 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's gotta be Nava based on stats vs JV (Gomes has been smoked by JV)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Has to be Nava.....he should have been in there last night.....Gomes broken bat infield hit was great and he has a knack for the big moment, but he looked horrible at tha plate before that and should never have been in against a righty....Nava should have....that said....I would consider Nava at 1st and Gomes in left.....anyone hear how Carp is?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Carp gas started 15 games this year batting in the 5th spot and has a .311 BA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Realize not only Carp couldn't hit Sherzer last night, the whole line-up didn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Kind of wondering if Gomes could purchase himself a first baseman's mitt and work on that position in the off season?   He would seem like a nice fit there and get regular playing time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Realize not only Carp couldn't hit Sherzer last night, the whole line-up didn't.

[/QUOTE]

Yes of course.  That has to be considered.  Would you bat Carp 5th in G3 then?  Carp has only played 1 game vs JV and it wasn't pretty (something like 0 for 3 w/ a K and a GDIP)....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Catfight...

Meanwhile, my concern is that last nights win, exciting and magical as it was, was a bit of a fluke. Its not something you can count on happening again. A couple conventional wins in Detroit would do exponentially more damage.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Catfight...

Meanwhile, my concern is that last nights win, exciting and magical as it was, was a bit of a fluke. Its not something you can count on happening again. A couple conventional wins in Detroit would do exponentially more damage.

[/QUOTE]

Remember the ALCS in 2004?    Flukes can really spark a team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Carp gas started 15 games this year batting in the 5th spot and has a .311 BA.

[/QUOTE]

I posted this in another thread but I wouldn't mind Farrell using Bogey instead of Drew (which he should do anyways) but also bat him 5th given that he is a very selective hitter and could really be a spark in that lineup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seriously man.... we won.... just stop finding things to complain about. I am sure Detroit fans have more to question than we

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we won. But I would not count on many more victories based on waiting for a grand slam in the eighth inning. This team has to play better from an offensive standpolnt, and Lackey has to pitch the game of his life. The win was a lot of fun, no doubt, but it was a fluke win. If the Red Sox want to beat the Tigers in the series their bats will have to wake up in a big way.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There are plenty of concerns.  We're facing a very tough team.  We're very fortunate to be 1-1.  But we have a good shot at winning this too.