2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?

With Crawford doubtless starting out on D.L. and various & sundry trades / retirements / injury rehabs, there are at least one if not two openings for Spring 2012.
    Ellsbury, Ross, and Sweeney for certain, and McDonald unless outplayed are incumbents. Kalish  needing to prove health opens the door for J.C. Linares, Alex Hassan, Che Hsuan ( sic ?) Lin, or even longshot B. Brentz to step up.

Anyone else on horizon ? What say all ?
    Personally looking forward to long look at Linares, if he's healthy. Cuban League numbers similiar to Yoenis Cespedes , perhaps HE'S the long awaited r/h option ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?

Looks like we are all set now in the outfield. That must bug the heck out of the fantasy baseball crowd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before CC returns:
          Vs RHPs  Vs LHPs
    LF   Ross        DMac/Ross
    CF  Ells           Ells
    RF  Sween     Ross
    (Aviles: 5th OF'er)

After CC returns:
          Vs RHPs          Vs LHPs
    LF  Craw                Craw/DMac (if not cut)
    CF  Ells                   Ells
    RF  Sween/Ross   Ross
    (Aviles 5/6th OF'er)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

You may be right Moon, as often are. But to me this suggests either we'll carry three catchers or you think Iglesias or even Punto wins ss job out of camp.

Do I read you correctly ? Otherwise I'd think Aviles is the ss starter over Punto based on history. And personally wouldn't assume one's starting shortstop is slated for much outfield time. Yes, Aviles was assigned to familiarize with position but that was before Scutaro was traded.

IF I'm correct then Ellsbury, Ross, Sweeney and McDonald leave room for another outfielder until Crawford comes back. And since I dislike McDonald so much, would love to see some r/h stud with power win the job for long term....preferably also possessing a decent glove for rf and emergency cf.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I think McDonald catches a break if Crawford has to miss 15+ days, but otherwise, it's Crawford, Ellsbury, Ross/Sweeney, with the other RF on the bench, along with Shoppach, Aviles, and Punto.  If Punto or Aviles ends up starting (I think it's going to be Iglesias), someone else makes it on the bench.  Then the rotation, plus a 7 man bullpen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In Response to 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?:
    [QUOTE]With Crawford doubtless starting out on D.L. and various & sundry trades / retirements / injury rehabs, there are at least one if not two openings for Spring 2012. Ellsbury, Ross, and Sweeney for certain, and McDonald unless outplayed are incumbents. Kalish  needing to prove health opens the door for J.C. Linares, Alex Hassan, Che Hsuan ( sic ?) Lin, or even longshot B. Brentz to step up. Anyone else on horizon ? What say all ? Personally looking forward to long look at Linares, if he's healthy. Cuban League numbers similiar to Yoenis Cespedes , perhaps HE'S the long awaited r/h option ?
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

I really like the depth of OF prospects the Red Sox have, and it's pretty impressive considering the hit they took when Westmoreland went down.  For some reason (probably unfair), I feel like he is still going to make it to the majors, and be a real good player.  But either way, Brentz, Jacobs, Bradley, Kalish, Lin, Hassan, Linares, and Ramos, it's a group with a lot of potential, and since most teams carry 4 OFs at a time, it should motivate all of them to elevate their games so they don't fall down the depth chart.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?:
    [QUOTE]You may be right Moon, as often are. But to me this suggests either we'll carry three catchers or you think Iglesias or even Punto wins ss job out of camp. Do I read you correctly ? Otherwise I'd think Aviles is the ss starter over Punto based on history. And personally wouldn't assume one's starting shortstop is slated for much outfield time. Yes, Aviles was assigned to familiarize with position but that was before Scutaro was traded. IF I'm correct then Ellsbury, Ross, Sweeney and McDonald leave room for another outfielder until Crawford comes back. And since I dislike McDonald so much, would love to see some r/h stud with power win the job for long term....preferably also possessing a decent glove for rf and emergency cf.

I listed Aviles as the 5th OF'er, which means basically, he'd be the emergency go-to-guy, even if he is the starting SS that game.

I think when CC comes back, there's no room for 5 OF'ers, so DMac will be moved. That would keep Aviles as the emergency OF'er.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would like to see Brentz comes up to Pawtucket and maybe ready for 2013 early callup.  I would also like to see Bogaert. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since kalish is hurt, I don't see any prospects having a chance of making the 25 mn roster this year, unless there is an injury. The closest now are probably Linares and Hassan (maybe Lin).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

We have a Ferrari racing a Olds, a Yugo, and a Plymouth for the top 3 spots...only a fool would find this exciting....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

The entitled ones want a Rolls-Royce at every position and a dugout full of Ferraris. Life is just not fair to have anything less.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited? : I listed Aviles as the 5th OF'er, which means basically, he'd be the emergency go-to-guy, even if he is the starting SS that game. I think when CC comes back, there's no room for 5 OF'ers, so DMac will be moved. That would keep Aviles as the emergency OF'er.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If Aviles is the 5th OF that puts the Sox in a pinch if/when Youk gets hurt b/c then your 5th OF is your everyday 3B. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]We have a Ferrari racing a Olds, a Yugo, and a Plymouth for the top 3 spots...only a fool would find this exciting....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Scrooge you Georom !

We've been awaiting the next great homegrown r/h slugging outfielder for a long time. Now due to injuries / roster clearing we may get an extended look ( at least in ST ) at some newer prospects. Plus the best performer might come north with the Big Club IF he outperforms McDonald and knows what a glove is for !

Or do you think Ross / McDonald / Aviles are long-term solutions as the r/h bat in o/f ?
    I know Brentz is a total longshot at this point but I AM excited expecting long looks at he and / or a healthy Linares.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited? : If Aviles is the 5th OF that puts the Sox in a pinch if/when Youk gets hurt b/c then your 5th OF is your everyday 3B. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I think 5th OF'er might be the wrong term. He's actually the emergency OF'er, and we should be able to handle all the OF duties with just the 4: 
    CC, Ells, Ross & Sweeney (DMac for CC while on the DL)

They may PH for Sweeney vs LHPs, but unless someone gets hurt, I don't see them needing Aviles in the OF at all.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

[QUOTE]We have a Ferrari racing a Olds, a Yugo, and a Plymouth for the top 3 spots...only a fool would find this exciting....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

^^This

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Linares isn’t even on the 25-man roster, and outside of a couple weeks in the AFL, has never done anything.   He also has not managed to hit .240 or crack a .300 OBP above A-ball.  He turns 28 this year, and isn’t likely to magically figure it all out now.  He is a non-factor.  Nava is a better option than this guy.  (Nava isn’t on the 40-man, either.)

Hassan is also not on the 40-man roster, either.  He at least has shown the ability to hit AA pitching, although some question his ability to catch up to Major League fastballs, a very easy weakness to exploit.  I do love his K/BB splits, but he’s the younger, non-switch-hitting Nava.

Brentz won’t be the guy.  Let him play AA ball first.  And maybe work on striking out less.

Lin has a huge advantage over the others, already being on the 40-man roster.  He struggled in AAA last year, but was good in AA and is an excellent outfielder.  He won’t give the Sox any power, but is a guy who can contribute short term, despite being a singles-hitter.  Until Crawford is back, if the Sox use anyone from Pawtucket, I expect Lin to be the option, if for no other reason than it minimizes the roster manipulation.

However, I think the Sox are even simpler.  Aviles is a backup OF with Iglesias at shortstop.  I think Rey Ordonez’ former manager will push for Iglesias.

In fact, if the Sox want to do this the REALLY smart way, they should sign Kosuke Fukudome to a minor league deal.  Crawford's ETA is a little unknown right now, but Fukudome is Mr. April with a career .979OPS in the month.  Take advantage, Ben!
    And don't forget to DFA him on May 1, even if he has the .979OPS.  Trust me...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

2012 Outfield is not only not exciting, it is going to be terrible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Linares isn’t even on the 25-man roster, and outside of a couple weeks in the AFL, has never done anything.   He also has not managed to hit .240 or crack a .300 OBP above A-ball.  He turns 28 this year, and isn’t likely to magically figure it all out now.  He is a non-factor.  Nava is a better option than this guy.  (Nava isn’t on the 40-man, either.) Hassan is also not on the 40-man roster, either.  He at least has shown the ability to hit AA pitching, although some question his ability to catch up to Major League fastballs, a very easy weakness to exploit.  I do love his K/BB splits, but he’s the younger, non-switch-hitting Nava. Brentz won’t be the guy.  Let him play AA ball first.  And maybe work on striking out less. Lin has a huge advantage over the others, already being on the 40-man roster.  He struggled in AAA last year, but was good in AA and is an excellent outfielder.  He won’t give the Sox any power, but is a guy who can contribute short term, despite being a singles-hitter.  Until Crawford is back, if the Sox use anyone from Pawtucket, I expect Lin to be the option, if for no other reason than it minimizes the roster manipulation. However, I think the Sox are even simpler.  Aviles is a backup OF with Iglesias at shortstop.  I think Rey Ordonez’ former manager will push for Iglesias. In fact, if the Sox want to do this the REALLY smart way, they should sign Kosuke Fukudome to a minor league deal.  Crawford's ETA is a little unknown right now, but Fukudome is Mr. April with a career .979OPS in the month.  Take advantage, Ben! And don't forget to DFA him on May 1, even if he has the .979OPS.  Trust me...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I did say..." Since Kalish is hurt, I don't see any prospects having a chance of making the 25 mn roster this year, unless there is an injury. The closest now are probably Linares and Hassan (maybe Lin)."

I mentioned Linares (because of his age) for being perhaps one of our most "MLB-ready" prospects. There will be room to add him (or Hassan) on the 40 man roster when we move Bowden or Atchison, since both will not make the 25 man roster (unless we have more injuries) and are out of options. I did neglect to mention Nava.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited? : Scrooge you Georom ! We've been awaiting the next great homegrown r/h slugging outfielder for a long time. Now due to injuries / roster clearing we may get an extended look ( at least in ST ) at some newer prospects. Plus the best performer might come north with the Big Club IF he outperforms McDonald and knows what a glove is for ! Or do you think Ross / McDonald / Aviles are long-term solutions as the r/h bat in o/f ? I know Brentz is a total longshot at this point but I AM excited expecting long looks at he and / or a healthy Linares.

Jim - cmon, excited????  it is woeful....lets hope Ells and a rejuvied CC make up for the hole in RF when CC gets back....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

So a bench player is going to fill in for a few weeks in right field to start the season. Doesn't every team use bench players to fill in at various times during the season when injuries happen. Sweeney and Ross will do just fine. Stop the panic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jim - cmon, excited????  it is woeful....lets hope Ells and a rejuvied CC make up for the hole in RF when CC gets back...

Geo, while Ross and Sweeney may not make you think of great things to come, they are virtually assured of improving greatly on what we got last year from our RF'ers:

.233  14  58 (OBP: .299/ SLG .353)

If we use Ross and Sweeney in a mostly L-R platoon, even at their worst, these guys will beat last year's numbers. At best, they may improve by over .200 in OPS. They are both decent fielders as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Geo, while Ross and Sweeney may not make you think of great things to come, they are virtually assured of improving greatly

Neither will be improving anything "greatly".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Geo, while Ross and Sweeney may not make you think of great things to come, they are virtually assured of improving greatly Neither will be improving anything "greatly".
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

im with softy on this one Moon....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The 1961 Yankees had platoons with Elston Howard/Johnny Blanchard at C, Yogi Berra/Hector Lopez in LF, Bill Skowron/Blanchard at 1B.

That team did pretty well.