2013 AL Playoffs: From the Impotent Rays Offense to ?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: 2013 AL Playoffs: From the Impotent Rays Offense to ?

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Better hope it's not to Miggy, Fielder and VMart, and be careful if you wish for the Red Sox farm team offense wearing those yellow and green uniforms.

The series I guaranteed the Red Sox would win is now over. Time to get out of exhibition baseball form, put away the champagne, and perform at a higher level against teams better than a AAA team. 

It's more like Peralta, Fielder, VMart.  If you've actually been watching baseball you'd have realized that Miggy is effectively a very slow slap hitter who provides the worst defense at third. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Good to know there were 12 AAA teams in the AL this season.  Great insight!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

you'd have realized that Miggy is effectively a very slow slap hitter who provides the worst defense at third. 

I'd like to see the Tigers play the Red Sox, just so Miggy can accentuate what a fool you are. 

Miggy is injured and has hit ONE!!!! HR over the past month and has ZERO extra base hits in the playoffs so far.  And it's not just in the numbers you can see it in his swing.

But just for the record let it be shown that you are wishing and cheering for a Tiger player to put up big numbers against the Red Sox.

Softy.....once again cheering against Boston. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

you'd have realized that Miggy is effectively a very slow slap hitter who provides the worst defense at third. 

I'd like to see the Tigers play the Red Sox, just so Miggy can accentuate what a fool you are. 

Miggy is injured and has hit ONE!!!! HR over the past month and has ZERO extra base hits in the playoffs so far.  And it's not just in the numbers you can see it in his swing.

But just for the record let it be shown that you are wishing and cheering for a Tiger player to put up big numbers against the Red Sox.

Softy.....once again cheering against Boston. 

[/QUOTE]

Remember when he used to pretend that he liked the Red Sox?

He was a much more effective troll back then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He has a sports hernia, and it will not get better until he has surgery.  When you consider that his defense was some of the worst in the league at 3B this year what good is he really in their lineup if he can't hit????

Detriot is still a good team, with scary good front line pitching.  But they look a lot less scary when you effectively take MIggy out of that lineup. 

But keep on rooting for the guys on the other team....just so you can prove a point. Or a none point that is. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No one in their right minds calls Miggy a "slap hitter". I can pull for the Red Sox and still know that you'll be shivering if MIggy stands in a few feet from the Green Monsta!

You see Softy, there is this thing called "physics" that proves that things such as the velocity of a bat hitting a ball and the force behind it will have an impact.  More force, the more a ball will travel....say it with me now Physssss ics. 

Now we have this other thing called Kinesiolgy, which is effectively the study of human movement.  When someone has a sports injury they are not able to use 100% of their muscles, and/or they use different muscles to compensate.  This will change the mechanics of a players movements and have an impact on a players swing.  Say it with me swiiiiiing. 

Miggy has a sports hernia, that's a Her knee ah.  You still with me? he is physically not capable of producing the same swing, developing torque with his lower half, and being able to create the same amount of force off of his bat.  If you had baseball eyes (which you obviously do not) you would see he is generating zero power in his lower half. 

When I say he's effectively a slap hitter, please reference the word "effectively"

Because I'm no invalidating the talent he is, and likely will be again once he rehabiliates himself.  No, rather I am seeing that he is physically not the power threat he can be right now, and he won't be until he rehabs his injury.

If he can't drive the ball and instead gets a single here in there then yes, he has become a slap hitter.  A power hitter generates power and Miggy does not appear able to do that at this time.

Please go read a book.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

my logic is sound, go watch some video on Miggy the past month. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Better hope it's not to Miggy, Fielder and VMart, and be careful if you wish for the Red Sox farm team offense wearing those yellow and green uniforms.

The series I guaranteed the Red Sox would win is now over. Time to get out of exhibition baseball form, put away the champagne, and perform at a higher level against teams better than a AAA team. 

Then how the heck Oakland can managed the Tigers's offense?????  The Tigers are on the brink to be out of the playoff!!!

Quit worry about who is good or who is not good.  All opponents are a good team!!  Boston just have to worry about themselves and play like the same way they have done it in all year along!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Up til the 7th yesterday Det had done nothing. "Miggy" is hurt and playing at half strength. 

Troll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

RSF/Softy - i am unsure if you ever answered these questions:

is the Boston Red Sox your favorite baseball team?

do you root for them to win?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, noted in backup drive.  If Tigers win Thursday, you will be rooting for them.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hahaha.  Sorry Softy.  You lose.  And not just your myopic baseball criticism-fetishes, but, seriously, this club is so much fun.  And you are having none.  Sad, really.  You can hold on to your weirdo need to bash them on the internet, but seriously, try to have some fun huh?   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

[QUOTE]

Of course the competition gets a little tougher for the sox in the alcs.  But it also tougher for the winner of the tigers/A's series. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL...I'll say!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Hahaha.  Sorry Softy.  You lose.  And not just your myopic baseball criticism-fetishes, but, seriously, this club is so much fun.  And you are having none.  Sad, really.  You can hold on to your weirdo need to bash them on the internet, but seriously, try to have some fun huh?   

I dont see how could actually be a real Sox fan, or even a real person.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I am rooting for the A's because I want to go to a couple of games out here & also drive to tinseltown to see us vs LA in finals. Both of these teams are loaded with Sox alumni.

I am not worried about Detroit. We beat then 20-4 in last game and Verlander & Scherzer are no better than Price & Moore.

Two years ago their offense was feared too and SF beat them 4-0.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

I am rooting for the A's because I want to go to a couple of games out here & also drive to tinseltown to see us vs LA in finals. Both of these teams are loaded with Sox alumni.

I am not worried about Detroit. We beat then 20-4 in last game and Verlander & Scherzer are no better than Price & Moore.

Two years ago their offense was feared too and SF beat them 4-0.

SF....I know you would like to see some games, but Ihave to root for the Tigers right now.....without a healthy Miggy(and Hugh has made the case experty on that), we can control their offense and their Bullpen is completely beatable.....I think you will get your chance to go down to LA LA land to see the Sox either way, but less likey if they have to face Oakland.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, redsoxfireman's earlier thread about how tough both the Tigers and Athletics are has some merit.  Both have solid pitching.  More surprising, Oakland finished 3d in the AL in runs scored despite playing half their games in a big park. 

I fully expected the Tigers to roll over the A's and in fact their terrific pitching staff held Oakland to 1 run in the first two games.  Problem was, Oakland won one of those games, 1-0.  Now they are headed back to Oakland for game 5, which tells me right now both teams are very good.

On the other hand, I think the Sox are pretty tough too.  Best hitting in MLB is a given.  Also home field advantage.  Also more rested than the other two and able to go with whatever rotation Farrell wants. 

Two surprises came out of the ALDS.  First, all four starters looked pretty decent and Peavy better than expected.  Lester solid in game one.  Lackey not so much in game two.  Buchholz got screwed in game three by some bad calls and those two catwalk balls in the 4th inning, which led to 30 pitches and made him vulnerable in the 5th inning.  I think he will be tough in the ALCS in large part because he came back out and pitched a clean 6th in game three in Tampa.    

Second surprise was the bullpen, which overall was better than the rotation.  Farrell used 6 of the 7 (not Doubront) and together they went 11 innings and gave up 2 runs, including Uehara's dinger to lose game 3.   Four--Breslow, Workman, Dempster, and Tazawa--were charged with no runs. 

A minor surprise in the ALDS was how healthy Ellsbury looked.  Forget the stolen bases and focus on how he looked after scored run #2 last night--he leaped into the air.  I doubt his BA of .500 is sustainable, but he and Victorino look like a pretty good, unique top of the order 1-2 punch.  If Billy Beane and Bill James are right about the importance of just getting on base, those two can be a pain.

Against the Yankees in 2004 and the Indians in 2007 the Sox needed 7 games to win the ALCS.  I see the Sox nailing the A's or the Tigers in 5 or 6 games because they are better overall and because they have two key advantages, home field and more rested, especially the rotation. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

No one in their right minds calls Miggy a "slap hitter". I can pull for the Red Sox and still know that you'll be shivering if MIggy stands in a few feet from the Green Monsta!

Just like no one in their right mind suggests Ortiz should retire this off season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Miggy is a slap hitter as Ellsbury was a poor performer in 2010.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since you recently said offense is all about BA, then Oakland should be a breeze compared to the "fade away" Rays.

BA in 2013:

Rays: .257

A's:   .254

Cue: goalpost move or some comment about Wakefield or Santana.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

More surprising, Oakland finished 3d in the AL in runs scored despite playing half their games in a big park. 

Correctomundo, except softy said today that offense is all about BA. He's playing both sides of the fense, so later, he can say he was right no matter what happens.

AWAY Numbers:

Runs scored:

1) Boston 434

2) Oakland 414

3) STL   405 (No DH)

6) Tigers  371

7) Dodgers 365 (No DH)

9) Rays 357

17) Pirates 325

Away OPS

1) BOS  .773

2) A's   .760