2013 Lineup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

2013 Lineup?

Know it's only February, but I was just thinking about what the Sox lineup might be. I assume it would look something like this (let me know what you guys think I got wrong):

1) Ellsbury

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Middlebrooks

5) Victorino

6) Napoli

7) Salty

8) Gomes

9) Drew

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: 2013 Lineup?

I'd switch Napoli and Middlebrooks. And possibly Victorino and Gomes or Salty depending on how they're hitting. I like keeping the thunder in the middle of the lineup, and I wouldn't mind seeing Victorino batting 9 to have him and Jacoby on the basepaths at the same time. All in all, as long as players stay healthy, it really is a very good lineup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

mryazz, thanks to the power of Google I now know that Dragnet was a 1950s TV show. If you're going to insult somebody without any reason from now on I'd suggest using a more current reference. Try the 70s at the earliest so people will actually get the joke.

jgallag1, yeah I wouldn't really want Middlebrooks hitting cleanup either, but I don't see how Napoli would fit there since he's a .250 career hitter and hit around .230 last season I believe. You have a good point about Victorino 9th, that's an intriguing option.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to KPfromCT's comment:

mryazz, thanks to the power of Google I now know that Dragnet was a 1950s TV show. If you're going to insult somebody without any reason from now on I'd suggest using a more current reference. Try the 70s at the earliest so people will actually get the joke.

jgallag1, yeah I wouldn't really want Middlebrooks hitting cleanup either, but I don't see how Napoli would fit there since he's a .250 career hitter and hit around .230 last season I believe. You have a good point about Victorino 9th, that's an intriguing option.

That was a great comment.  I'm 37 and I know Dragnet.....  Wait....maybe that doesn't make me look cool....oh well.

My Lineup:

Ells L

Vic R

Ped R

Ortiz L

Naps R

WMB R

Gomes R

Salty S

Drew R

Right handed heavy but honestly...the whole Right Left thing is very over thought of.  Play to your strengths.  Speed  and on base percentage at the top, power in the middle and bottom.  Pretty solid Fenway lineup.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's the basic template I think Farrell will work off:

vs RHP    vs LHP

1)     L  Ellsbury

2)     R  Pedroia

3)     L  Ortiz

4)     R  Napoli

5)     R Middlebrooks

6) S  Salty         S Victorino

7) S  Victorino   R Gomes

8) L  Drew          R Ross

9) L  Sweaney    L Drew         

Notes:

1) He may keep Victorino up 6th vs RHPs for stability.

2) He may keep Drew up 8th vs LHPs, so as to not bruise his ego batting him 9th.

(Both mistakes)

My template might be:

vs RHPs        vs LHPs      

1)        L  Ellsbury

2) R Pedey         S Victorino

3) L  Ortiz           L Ortiz

4) R Napoli         R Pedey

5) R Middbrks     R Napoli

6) S Salty           R Middlbrks

7) L Drew            R Gomes

8) L Sweeney     R  Ross

9) S Victorino     L Drew

Notes:

1) If Papi looks to start struggling vs LHPs as he ages, I might drop him to 5th.

2) If Ellsbury struggles, particularly vs LHPs, I might do this...

Vict-Gomes-Ortiz-Pedey-Naps-Midds-Ross-Drew-Ells (or put Ells 7th).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Farrell said he was going to have Victorino hitting second vs. LHP.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some players like to stay put.

Yeah, as long as it is the slot they like.

While their actual splits may lead one to assume one order, any advantage may be lost in the constant juggling of the lineup.

Many players are creatures of habit.

So, where did Victorino hit for most of his career? Where is he most comfy?

I never bought the line that CC played poorly because he wasn't allowed to hit 2nd, just like I never bought the line that Ellsbury couldn't handle the leadoff slot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

Guess I owe mryazz an apology, it seems that show is actually well-known after all. Now I feel obligated to go watch an episode or two.

Kingface12, I hadn't thought about Pedroia 3rd. Another interesting possibility.

moonslav59, Pedroia hitting cleanup? Really? I guess it's possible but wow... I can't wrap my head around that.

Why do so many people think Napoli should be the number 4 hitter? Aside from 24 homers, his stats from last year look very unimpressive.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Guess I owe mryazz an apology, it seems that show is actually well-known after all. Now I feel obligated to go watch an episode or two.

Kingface12, I hadn't thought about Pedroia 3rd. Another interesting possibility.

moonslav59, Pedroia hitting cleanup? Really? I guess it's possible but wow... I can't wrap my head around that.

Why do so many people think Napoli should be the number 4 hitter? Aside from 24 homers, his stats from last year look very unimpressive.

Pedey has the swing and mentality to bat 4th, and actually he has done it more than many are aware of...

139 PAs  .397  7 HRs  29 RBIs (.442 OBP/675 SLG)

projected to 162 games:  .397  35  146 (1.117 OPS)

I'm not saying the sample size proves he's a better clean-up hitter than a 2 slot hitter, but 139 PAs is enough to indicate he is not upset when moved to the 3 or 4 slot. In 354 PAs batting 3rd, he has a slighly better OPS (840>837) than batting 2nd.

Pedey also has a .032 better career OPS vs LHPs than righties.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We still don't have a true 4 slot hitter unless we bat Papi there and force a weakness somewhere else.

Naps is the lesser of 9 evils. (I am not sure Middlebrooks is ready for that kind of pressure.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

moonslav59, wow. You don't mess around when it comes to stats. Respect.

So wouldn't the best solution be to bat Pedroia 3rd and Papi 4th? Or even do what you suggested and have Pedroia 4th and Ortiz 3rd? I don't know, I just really dislike the thought of someone who hit .227 last year being the cleanup hitter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

So wouldn't the best solution be to bat Pedroia 3rd and Papi 4th? Or even do what you suggested and have Pedroia 4th and Ortiz 3rd? I don't know, I just really dislike the thought of someone who hit .227 last year being the cleanup hitter.

keep in mind during 2011 Naps hit .320+

he was hampered last year with a leg injury i believe

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

mef429, I have no idea how I missed that. I must have completely skipped over his 2011 season when I was looking at his stats a while ago. He hit .320 with 30 homers and 75 RBIs. Thanks for bringing that up, gives me some well-needed optimism.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Keep in mind, until proven otherwise, 2011 would be considered an outlier season for napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Which is why I'm thankful his contract got reduced from 3 years to 1. Gotta prove himself first. Maybe he can surprise us Adrian Beltre style.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not too big on 1 year sample sizes being used as a projection tool, but I share your concern. Like I said, Naps is the lesser of 9 evils, but I'm Ok with Pedey and Papi 3/4 or 4/3.

The problem vs RHPs is that we wouldn't have a good #2 OBP hitter if we move Pedey from that slot. SV is awful bvs RHPs. Drew? Nope!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Keep in mind, until proven otherwise, 2011 would be considered an outlier season for napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Well, it is not really an "outlier season", since he batted .238 in 2010 during his highest PA season, and .248 in 2007 and .228 in 2006- his 1st 2 seasons in MLB. That's 3 out of 7 years under .239 and 4 of 7 under .248...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He rarely hits near his career BA, so he's hard to project.

25. This post has been removed.