2013 outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

2013 outfield

I'm leaning toward an outfield of Ross LF, Ellsbury CF, and (switch-hitter) Swisher RF with back-up Posednik.  But, before settling on Swisher, can anyone provide me with his stats batting left-handed and batting right-handed.

I'm not normally one to toot my own horn, but last Spring I predicted Ross would prosper hitting in Fenway with an BA .275, HR 20, and RBI 80.  Not too far off from what he ended up producing in the 130 games in which he played - BA .267, HR 22, and RBI 81.

With that said, I'm not quite ready to predict the output that Swisher's bat would produce in  the 2013 Sox lineup, but I am inclined to think that playing half his games in Fenway, he would exceed this year's production with the Yankees, BA .272, HR 24, RBI 93.  Figures eerily similar to Ross's.

So if it comes to pass that the Sox do indeed acquire Swisher, and retain Ross and Ellsbury, I see Ellsbury as having a bounce-back year, and both Ross and Swisher exceeding their respective production of 2012 in 2013.

Batter up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: 2013 outfield

Brentz is less than a year ready to take over that RF.  Swisher is seeking Jason Werth deal.  No way Swisher is coming to town. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm leaning toward an outfield of Ross LF, Ellsbury CF, and (switch-hitter) Swisher RF with back-up Posednik.  But, before settling on Swisher, can anyone provide me with his stats batting left-handed and batting right-handed.

I'm not normally one to toot my own horn, but last Spring I predicted Ross would prosper hitting in Fenway with an BA .275, HR 20, and RBI 80.  Not too far off from what he ended up producing in the 130 games in which he played - BA .267, HR 22, and RBI 81.

With that said, I'm not quite ready to predict the output that Swisher's bat would produce in  the 2013 Sox lineup, but I am inclined to think that playing half his games in Fenway, he would exceed this year's production with the Yankees, BA .272, HR 24, RBI 93.  Figures eerily similar to Ross's.

So if it comes to pass that the Sox do indeed acquire Swisher, and retain Ross and Ellsbury, I see Ellsbury as having a bounce-back year, and both Ross and Swisher exceeding their respective production of 2012 in 2013.

Batter up.

[/QUOTE]

That would make us pretty weak at the corner OF positions. I can't stand Swisher but the guy can flat out hit. Ross in LF? I'm Ok with that, but I really don't think the Sox will re-sign him.

The FA list for OFers is bleak unless it's for a 1 or 2 year deal for someone like Tori Hunter. D. Young and BJ Upton are young enough but might be out of the pay range. Michael Bourn could be a possibility.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Swisher is seeking a Werth like deal and he will likely be worth as much as Werth, at least in terms of what he gets paid vs. what he contributes.  Like Swisher, he is a class act guy but in this years market he is bound to get overpaid.  Lets not repeat our old mistakes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I amend my previous post about getting Michael Bourn. 155 K's with only 9 HRs? No thanks!

Delmon Young would be better.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Josh Hamilton, BJ Upton, and Justin Upton.. There...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury LF / Jackie Bradley CF / Cody Ross RF; Ryan Kalish waiting in wings when Ells gets hurt @ AAA. Sweeney 4th outfielder to start season. Problem is S.Boras would never go for it even if it was best thing for the team, in his world team is spelled w/ an i.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Swisher could work, he could play both corners and 1b. He could also be the answer at first base. Ellsbury, Ross, Swisher lets you sign Pods for another year, however I would rather have Sweeney over Pods. The thing about Swisher is that the Yankees probably don't intend to bring him back if they plan to cut payroll. He is also a big OBP guy. Going away from Bobby V it would be a nice treat to focus on getting base after a one year absence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Trotter- What if to get Justin Upton you have to give up one of- Bogarts, Bradley or Barnes?

Do you do it or do you move on?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trotter- What if to get Justin Upton you have to give up one of- Bogarts, Bradley or Barnes?

[/QUOTE]

He is going to reply AZ will just want a bunch of MLB role players and Ellsbury and that they don't care about the future.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I give up Bogaerts, keep the great Brentz, if I can't sell them on Brentz. I do not give up Bradley or Barnes, they must take Ellspuff, his draft compensation, and 3 or 4 players from a pool that includes Aviles and any farm hands but Bradley and Barnes.

The beauty of getting J. Upton is that they pay no more than they will pay for prima donna Ellspuff, and, with J. Upton at just 25, the Red Sox don't need both Bogaerts and Brentz. It's a no brainer, as Ellspuff and his draft compensaton plus 3 or 4 more from the pool I just provided will top any other offers after the season J. Upton just had, which was good for a lot of players but terrible for him. 

Ellspuff is gone, so no need to spend another 10 million on him. Good luck on drafting a young RH talent like J. Upton, and, other than Barnes and Bradley, Jr. and keeping Bogaerts or Brentz, the Red Sox don't have a clue if they would hang on to pipe dreams about the rest of the farm and the draft compensation from Ellsbury having more value than J. Upton's mid and late twenties.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury having more value than J. Upton's mid and late twenties....do you mean Ellspuff?  LOL

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Nothing has changed my thinking, but I would still like to see Swisher's splits, hitting right handed vs. left handed, as it might apply to Fenway.

Regarding salary and production:

2009  BA .239  HR 29  RBI 82

2010       .288       29        89

2011       .260       23        85

2012       .272       24        93

2009    $5,400,000

2010   $6,850,000

2011   $9,100,000

2012   $10,250,000

A Sox offer of 2 years at $12M a year with a team-option for the 3rd year would in my opinion get Swisher's attention.

Ellsbury in arbitration - $8.5-$9.5M

And Cody Ross would probably go for 2-years at $6M per which is approximately what he made with Giants before signing with Sox.

End result, 2013 outfield ($27M) of solid, veteran outfielders, two of whom are solid middle-of-the-lineup hitters.

Ellsbury CF

Pedroia 2B

Middlebrooks 3B

Ortiz DH

Swisher RF

Ross LF

Gomez or ???? 1B

Saltalamacchia or Lavarnway C

Iglesias SS

With some improved pitching and a manager who knows how to manage, this lineup would be formidable.

Batter up!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I amend my previous post about getting Michael Bourn. 155 K's with only 9 HRs? No thanks!

Delmon Young would be better.

[/QUOTE]

Delmon Young is not the best solution for a team with PR issues.

Plus he has never lived up to the hype...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It will definitely cost at least one of them. 

My choice would be Bradley.   We already have Kalish, who was a better hitter at the same levels at the same ages.

The real question is - would it take only one?  I'd prefer to keep Bogaerts and Barnes.   I would prefer to inlcude Webster over either, since he seems to have some stamina issues anyway...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I resign Ross at 2yrs 6-7mm per with an option for a 3rd and 1mm buyout. I look to see what Swisher wants, and If its no more than 3yrs and no more than 10-12mm I sign him. If not I look to sign a 1-2yr vet like a Hunter or Ludwick.

Ross in LF, Ells in CF (If not traded), and Swish in RF with Sweeney my 4th OF for defensive purposes. If no to Swisher then I think they can fill the spot internally. Upton will cost way too much in prospects for his inconsistant production. And for only 3 years. D. Young is a PR nightmare and has never lived up to the hype. Bourn is Ok but not long-term.

If Ells is traded then I need a filler until Bradley is ready. Can Kalish play like he did when he first arrived on the scene after a full offseason to heal? Do we put Lin in CF for his defense but realize there will be no more offense from CF? Ciriaco is looking to be more veristile and play the OF. Nava, Hazelbaker, Brentz, Hassan? Do we rush Bradley up?
    You certainly dont want to sign someone long-term for CF if you plan on Bradley taking over by 2014, possibly earlier.

Victorino will want at least 4yrs IMO. They should sign Ross, so that leaves one spot in the OF. If Ells is traded, that will leave 2 unless an OF comes back in the deal.

I dont give up Ells for just anyone. They need to get a top pitcher back or at least a stud player. Some team thats in the playoffs or can content with that one piece missing will bite, especially with compensation coming back after Ells leaves.

They might just value the pick themselves and will count on Ells going all out and having a 2011 like performance in his walk year. That would certainly benefit the Sox, then Bradley could just step in come 2014.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I resign Ross at 2yrs 6-7mm per with an option for a 3rd and 1mm buyout. I look to see what Swisher wants, and If its no more than 3yrs and no more than 10-12mm I sign him. If not I look to sign a 1-2yr vet like a Hunter or Ludwick.

Ross in LF, Ells in CF (If not traded), and Swish in RF with Sweeney my 4th OF for defensive purposes. If no to Swisher then I think they can fill the spot internally. Upton will cost way too much in prospects for his inconsistant production. And for only 3 years. D. Young is a PR nightmare and has never lived up to the hype. Bourn is Ok but not long-term.

If Ells is traded then I need a filler until Bradley is ready. Can Kalish play like he did when he first arrived on the scene after a full offseason to heal? Do we put Lin in CF for his defense but realize there will be no more offense from CF? Ciriaco is looking to be more veristile and play the OF. Nava, Hazelbaker, Brentz, Hassan? Do we rush Bradley up?
    You certainly dont want to sign someone long-term for CF if you plan on Bradley taking over by 2014, possibly earlier.

Victorino will want at least 4yrs IMO. They should sign Ross, so that leaves one spot in the OF. If Ells is traded, that will leave 2 unless an OF comes back in the deal.

I dont give up Ells for just anyone. They need to get a top pitcher back or at least a stud player. Some team thats in the playoffs or can content with that one piece missing will bite, especially with compensation coming back after Ells leaves.

They might just value the pick themselves and will count on Ells going all out and having a 2011 like performance in his walk year. That would certainly benefit the Sox, then Bradley could just step in come 2014.

[/QUOTE]

I concur with much of what you have presented, however, I would be more inclined to keep Posednik over Sweeney as 4th outfielder.

And I wholeheartedly agree with, "I dont give up Ells for just anyone. They need to get a top pitcher back or at least a stud player." I to believe that letting Ellsbury play out his contract year with the hope that he can stay healthy and replicate his 2011 stats while waiting for Bradley to develop is worth the gamble.

At the risk of being redundant, I'm definitely onboard with " I resign Ross at 2yrs 6-7mm per with an option for a 3rd and 1mm buyout. I look to see what Swisher wants, and if its no more than 3yrs and no more than 10-12mm I sign him.

When you weigh the $$$$, the risk, clubhouse stability and chemistry, and the other position voids that need filling, the more I like the outlook of an outfield ensemble of Ross, Ellsbury, and Swisher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jacoby Ellsbury LF / Jackie Bradley CF / Cody Ross RF; Ryan Kalish waiting in wings when Ells gets hurt @ AAA. Sweeney 4th outfielder to start season. Problem is S.Boras would never go for it even if it was best thing for the team, in his world team is spelled w/ an i.

[/QUOTE]

Kalish hasn't done anything in the majors except show that he is not an everyday player and not a very good reserve.  I don't know why people keep talking about him.  He isn't going to make it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no to bourn, and a big no to swisher. first of all he is a mediocre fielder, he is on the wrong side of 30 and is not what this team needs. Ellsbruy should be the starting CF for next season, Justin Upton should be our target for RF. We need his bat in our line up. As for left field, i would take a shot on delmon young on a 1 yr deal. he has potential and on a one year deal, even if he does not perform, brentz could be ready at some point this year and for sure for next year. we also have kalish as well. cody ross had a good year, but is on the wrong side of 30 and is going to want more than he is worth just because he had one good year.