2014 Red Sox Rookie Program

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

2014 Red Sox Rookie Program

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140113&content_id=66534542&vkey=pr_bos&c_id=bos

"Nine of the participants were in the organization for all or part of 2013: pitchers Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, Noe Ramirez, and Anthony Ranaudo; catchers Blake Swihart and Christian Vazquez; and infielders Garin Cecchini, Deven Marrero, and Travis Shaw. Also taking part will be pitcher Dalier Hinojosa, who was acquired by the club after the regular season."

The Sox usually invite who they think could make an impact in the near future. (sometime from 2014 thru 2015). So the Sox believe all these guys can be in Boston by the end of 2015 or before.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: 2014 Red Sox Rookie Program

Seven of the eleven who attented last year (Bogaerts, Bradley, Britton, De La Rosa, Holt, Webster, Wright) ended up seeing time in the majors in 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seven of the eleven who attented last year (Bogaerts, Bradley, Britton, De La Rosa, Holt, Webster, Wright) ended up seeing time in the majors in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Im thinking maybe half of them even have a chance, whether small to a good chance.

Besides Sept call-ups and Depending on performance and injuries (number denotes where player is on position depth chart right now), C Swihart(8th), RP Ramirez(11th), C Vasquez(5th), SP Owens(12th), 1B Shaw(4th), SP Barnes(11th), SP Ranaudo(10th), SP Hinojosa(14th), 3B Cecchini(2nd), SS Merrero(5th). 

Only a few from this list might see Boston at all this year. Of course anything can happen and there could be a plethora of injuries and good performance from one of these guys to warrant consideration. But I think with how many players are actually in front of them, it would have to get pretty bad.

Cecchini and Ramirez have a good chance. Ranaudo and Hinojosa maybe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

This mid winter camp is a great idea.  I wonder if other teams do it as well?

Nothing to lose and lots to be gained.   Theo started it I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Think Indians were the first to start a similar program.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140113&content_id=66534542&vkey=pr_bos&c_id=bos

"Nine of the participants were in the organization for all or part of 2013: pitchers Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, Noe Ramirez, and Anthony Ranaudo; catchers Blake Swihart and Christian Vazquez; and infielders Garin Cecchini, Deven Marrero, and Travis Shaw. Also taking part will be pitcher Dalier Hinojosa, who was acquired by the club after the regular season."

The Sox usually invite who they think could make an impact in the near future. (sometime from 2014 thru 2015). So the Sox believe all these guys can be in Boston by the end of 2015 or before.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting that none of these guys plays OF, unless I am missing something. If that is true, then that says that the Sox have no prospects that play in the OF who are near ready to make an impact with the big league club. I do not follow the minors as closely as some others here, but it seems to me thats a big hole.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting that none of these guys plays OF, unless I am missing something. If that is true, then that says that the Sox have no prospects that play in the OF who are near ready to make an impact with the big league club. I do not follow the minors as closely as some others here, but it seems to me thats a big hole.

[/QUOTE]

Our closest OF prospects (discounting JBJ) are probably Bryce Brentz and Alex Hassan, who attended the program in 2013 (they don't do repeats). So yeah, we are not very deep in that area in the high minors.

(Although Hassan is someone I'd like to see find a niche on the major league roster sometime this year...not much power there, but seems like a very solid hitter who will get on base a lot. Much like a righthanded Nava.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Think Indians were the first to start a similar program.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I think Farrell was Director of player development at the time. Not 100% sure though. Thats when the Tribe won an award In 2003 and 2004, they were named MLB Organization of the Year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, besides JBJ, Brentz and to a lesser extent Hassan, we dont have much at all unless someone breaks out this year. I would almost be willing to guarentee the Sox make a trade after this year for a legit younger OF'er if they can, and if they dont have a breakout year from someone. Not saying Stanton, but they need someone. When your depth chart has names like Justin Henry, Shannon Wilkerson, and Kolbrin Vitek (1st round signing as a 3b, but now plays LF) as 3rd on the LF depth chart, you are in a little trouble in regards to OF prospects.

2014 was always the year, as far as I was concerned, that was going to be a turning point for the Sox as far as prospects go. Cecchini should be ready for/in 2015. Vasquez, Xander, JBJ, Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, Brentz and Ramirez could all be added to that list as well.

My point is, I saw 2014-15 as a turning point for a lot of prospects. We should know whos staying and who can be traded. Guys like Mookie Betts, who is blocked by Pedey for the next 7 years, could be a big trading chip if he continues turning heads in 2014. Middlebrooks is in a make or break year, IMHO. Bottom line is we will have the parts to move for a position of greater need.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, besides JBJ, Brentz and to a lesser extent Hassan, we dont have much at all unless someone breaks out this year. I would almost be willing to guarentee the Sox make a trade after this year for a legit younger OF'er if they can, and if they dont have a breakout year from someone. Not saying Stanton, but they need someone. When your depth chart has names like Justin Henry, Shannon Wilkerson, and Kolbrin Vitek (1st round signing as a 3b, but now plays LF) as 3rd on the LF depth chart, you are in a little trouble in regards to OF prospects.

2014 was always the year, as far as I was concerned, that was going to be a turning point for the Sox as far as prospects go. Cecchini should be ready for/in 2015. Vasquez, Xander, JBJ, Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, Brentz and Ramirez could all be added to that list as well.

My point is, I saw 2014-15 as a turning point for a lot of prospects. We should know whos staying and who can be traded. Guys like Mookie Betts, who is blocked by Pedey for the next 7 years, could be a big trading chip if he continues turning heads in 2014. Middlebrooks is in a make or break year, IMHO. Bottom line is we will have the parts to move for a position of greater need.

OF'ers are not hard to find during the season (in case of emergency). There are always guys like Byrd and Podsednik readily available, and the Sox have done well finding some OF journymen gems recently.

Nava (not a midseason pick-up, but still...)

Carp (not a midseason pick-up, but did play almost 260 innings in the OF last year)

Berry

Podsednik

Byrd

DMac

BHall

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2014 was always the year, as far as I was concerned, that was going to be a turning point for the Sox as far as prospects go. Cecchini should be ready for/in 2015. Vasquez, Xander, JBJ, Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, Brentz and Ramirez could all be added to that list as well.

OF'ers are not hard to find during the season (in case of emergency). There are always guys like Byrd and Podsednik readily available, and the Sox have done well finding some OF journymen gems recently.

Carp (not a midseason pick-up, but did play almost 260 innings in the OF last year)

Berry

Podsednik

Byrd

DMac

BHall

[/QUOTE]

I agree...as long as we have a good player in CF, the corners shouldn't be an issue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Berry

Podsednik

Byrd

DMac

BHall

[/QUOTE]

I agree...as long as we have a good player in CF, the corners shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't mind finding a decent RH'd hitting defensive-minded CF'er before the season starts, but I like the idea of keeping Carp until things settle in at least for the start of 2014.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I posted this last year on a thread here for last years rookie development program and I'm sure it could use a repeat.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8067842/v25557689/sis-presented-by-hyundai-conversations-with-rookies

Also Soxprospects has some audio this morning with some interviews from this year I believe.  I haven't listened to it yet but I'm about to. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I was just having fun with 2015 roster and just realized again how exciting it will be watching this team because of the stacked farm.

JBJ

PEDEY

PAPI

BOGAERTS

CECCHINI

NAPOLI

SWIHART

WMB

VICTORINO

LESTER

BUCCHOLZ

OWENS

BARNES

RANAUDO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was just having fun with 2015 roster and just realized again how exciting it will be watching this team because of the stacked farm.

JBJ

PEDEY

PAPI

BOGAERTS

CECCHINI

NAPOLI

SWIHART

WMB

VICTORINO

LESTER

BUCCHOLZ

OWENS

BARNES

RANAUDO

[/QUOTE]

Lackey will be on the 2015 roster at minimum salary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JBJ

PEDEY

PAPI

BOGAERTS

CECCHINI

NAPOLI

SWIHART

WMB

VICTORINO

LESTER

BUCCHOLZ

OWENS

BARNES

RANAUDO

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus I think there is a really good chance that at least 1 of Owens/Ranaudo/Barnes is either traded or in the bullpen by 2015 as well.  But generally speaking that list of homegrown talent on the roster looks very good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I notice a lot of the same names being non-roster invites to spring training... 

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2014/01/red_sox_extend_non-roster_invitations_to_spring_tr.html\

Several players not on the 40-man roster have been invited to Red Sox spring training, the team announced Friday.

They are pitchers Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, Dalier Hinojosa, and Noe Ramirez, and utility player Heiker Meneses, shortstop Deven Marrero, catcher Blake Swihart, and first baseman Travis Shaw.

All except Meneses are participating in the team's rookie program this week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[/QUOTE]

Or he could very well be traded before the deadline if he continues his strong performance.  If for some reason Sox fall out of contention nearing the deadline, Lackey could be very valuable trade candidate.  Sox could net a very solid ML ready prospect with Lackey's minimum salary in 2015.  Of course this could depend on how our pitching prospects like Barnes, Owens, Webster, or Ranaudo perform.  If we have one of these young guns ready to step up, Lackey will be traded for a organization's top prospect if Lackey continues his performance.  If FO and coaching staff feel confident that our young SPs can contribute in the big league level in 2015, Lackey again could be traded to fill in holes if there is one.  Lackey's contract in 2015 is too good to be true and can't miss opportunity to get maximum return because of our heavily stacked young starters in the upper minor leagues.  I will be very surprised if Lackey is still with the team on opening day of 2015 season. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or he could very well be traded before the deadline if he continues his strong performance.  If for some reason Sox fall out of contention nearing the deadline, Lackey could be very valuable trade candidate.  Sox could net a very solid ML ready prospect with Lackey's minimum salary in 2015.  Of course this could depend on how our pitching prospects like Barnes, Owens, Webster, or Ranaudo perform.  If we have one of these young guns ready to step up, Lackey will be traded for a organization's top prospect if Lackey continues his performance.  If FO and coaching staff feel confident that our young SPs can contribute in the big league level in 2015, Lackey again could be traded to fill in holes if there is one.  Lackey's contract in 2015 is too good to be true and can't miss opportunity to get maximum return because of our heavily stacked young starters in the upper minor leagues.  I will be very surprised if Lackey is still with the team on opening day of 2015 season. 

[/QUOTE]

I won't be. I seriously doubt we have 3 young pitchers in our rotation by 2015. Even 2 might be pushing it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Buchholz/Lester/Doubront/Lackey will still be with the team by 2015.

Both of Dempster and Peavy will be gone by then, and I suspect one will be traded by the end of spring training.  As soon as Tanaka signs I think all the cards in the starting pitching market fall....and when a team is left thin at starting pitching and a guy goes down then baring significant injuries in Boston I can see us dealing Peavy/Dempster.

One of Ranaudo/Owens/Barnes/Webster is likely to occupy that 5th spot by 2015, there is a decent chance that a Lackey/Doubront/Clay trade opens up a spot for another guy, but I'd say if two of them are in the rotation that it's much more likely by the end of 2015 than it is in the beginning.

Also remember development isn't always linear.  Remember people wanting Buchholz to be demoted from the rotation in favor of Michael Bowden??? One of these guys may very well hit a speed bump and have a bad season next year.....and that doesn't mean that they still don't have a good chance of having a good MLB career....it just may be they need another year in the minors this year and 2015 is an up/down learning experience and they won't be above average contributors until 2016.

Look at what Webster gave us last year, and he has very little left to prove in the minors...but that doesn't mean he is done developing.  He could very well be in the rotation by the end of this year permanently, or the team could move him to the bullpen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Buchholz/Lester/Doubront/Lackey will still be with the team by 2015.

Both of Dempster and Peavy will be gone by then, and I suspect one will be traded by the end of spring training.  As soon as Tanaka signs I think all the cards in the starting pitching market fall....and when a team is left thin at starting pitching and a guy goes down then baring significant injuries in Boston I can see us dealing Peavy/Dempster.

One of Ranaudo/Owens/Barnes/Webster is likely to occupy that 5th spot by 2015, there is a decent chance that a Lackey/Doubront/Clay trade opens up a spot for another guy, but I'd say if two of them are in the rotation that it's much more likely by the end of 2015 than it is in the beginning.

Also remember development isn't always linear.  Remember people wanting Buchholz to be demoted from the rotation in favor of Michael Bowden??? One of these guys may very well hit a speed bump and have a bad season next year.....and that doesn't mean that they still don't have a good chance of having a good MLB career....it just may be they need another year in the minors this year and 2015 is an up/down learning experience and they won't be above average contributors until 2016.

Look at what Webster gave us last year, and he has very little left to prove in the minors...but that doesn't mean he is done developing.  He could very well be in the rotation by the end of this year permanently, or the team could move him to the bullpen. 

[/QUOTE]

It's hard to know for sure if all 4 will be here in 2015 (Lester - assuming an extension, Buch, Lackey, & Doubront), but there is no reason, right now, to think otherwise. With Lackey likely leaving after 2015, it works out pretty well for us that our top pitching prospects don't need to be pushed into service too quickly. 

(Assuming Lester signs)

Gone after 2014: Peavy & Dempster

Gone after 2015: Lackey

Gone after 2016: Buchholz

Gone after 2017: Doubront

Gone after ????: Lester

Top pitching prospects (age):

Workman (25)

Britton (24)

Ranaudo (24)

de la Rosa (24)

Webster (23)

Barnes (23)

Johnson (23)

Owens (21)

Stankiewicz (20)

T Ball (19)

Others:

Wright (29)

Kehrt (28)

J Ely (27)

Hinojosa (27)

C Hernandez (25)

K Couch (24)

M Pena (23)

L Diaz (21)

Mercedes (21)

M Smith (21)

Littrel (21)

Buttrey (20)

Kukuk (20)

Gomez (20)

Callahan (19)

McGrath (19)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Pretty impressive pitching prospect list there, thanks moon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty impressive pitching prospect list there, thanks moon.

[/QUOTE]

Those 10 guys on the first list is pretty impressive, but over time, I think a few from the second list will be much talked about as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-That's one of the reasons I would think about signing Drew and trading WMB to Miami for a top OF prospect.

2-As far as youth, or at least  control, we have JBJ for 6, Nava for 4, and Vic for 2.

3-And while it is thin on the immediate horizon, guys can convert.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cecchini and Betts were converted to OFs.

In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned.  It is impossible to build a minor league system that supplies one of everything.  If the only thing we are missing is corner OFs and a 1B, I'm okay with that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1-That's one of the reasons I would think about signing Drew and trading WMB to Miami for a top OF prospect.

2-As far as youth, or at least  control, we have JBJ for 6, Nava for 4, and Vic for 2.

3-And while it is thin on the immediate horizon, guys can convert.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cecchini and Betts were converted to OFs.

In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned.  It is impossible to build a minor league system that supplies one of everything.  If the only thing we are missing is corner OFs and a 1B, I'm okay with that.

[/QUOTE]

I could see Cecchini and/or Betts end up in the OF eventually, and then we'd have instant OF cred.