40 Man Roster Crunch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

40 Man Roster Crunch

Can I get a complete list of the Sox minor leaguers who would be exposed to the Rule V draft if thry are not added to the 40 roster this off-season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 40 Man Roster Crunch

It's under the Wiki heading on soxprospects.com

http://www.soxprospects.com/wiki.html

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Jose Contreras, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron Kurcz, Bobby Lanigan, Juan Carlos Linares, Brandon Lyon, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Eric Nieson, Nefi Ogando, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Matthew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

Players eligible for minor league free agency in the 2013-14 off-season are not listed here.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Jose Contreras, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron Kurcz, Bobby Lanigan, Juan Carlos Linares, Brandon Lyon, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Eric Nieson, Nefi Ogando, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Matthew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

Players eligible for minor league free agency in the 2013-14 off-season are not listed here.

Sox4ever

Thanks MOON,  If I evaa become  G M , I will have a position for you !!!!   ( & SOFTY TOO, if you can work with him)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Players on the 40 man roster now and under team control for 2014:

44 players listed by last year of team control (*option).

2013: (5) Ellsbury, Drew, Hanrahan, Napoli, Salty

2014: (11)Ortiz, Peavy, Dempster, Gomes, Uehara*, Lester*, Thornton*, Bailey, D                            Ross,  Morales, Miller

2015:  (4) Lackey, Victorino, Bard, Breslow*

2016:  (3) Buchholz, Tazawa, Carp

2017:  (6) Doubront, Nava, Villarreal, Kalish, Beato, de la Rosa

2018 and beyond (15): Pedroia ('21), Holt, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Britton,                                 Webster, Wilson, Wright, Butler, Vazquez, Hassan, Bradley, de la Torre,                           Snyder, & Workman.  

(60 Day DL: Kalish, Miller, D Ross, Hanrahan)

We have 5 free agents to be and at least 5 slots to fill with (in house options):

CF (Bradley/Vict?)

SS (Bogaerts/Holt?)

3B (Bogaerts/Middlebrooks/Snyder/Holt?)

1B (Carp/Nava/Papi/Middlebrooks)

RF (Several in house options)

Players on the roster and under team control for 2014 that may be DFA'd or traded:

Butler, Hassan, Bard, Bailry, Thornton, Bard, Snyder, Beato, Kalish, or de la Torre.

Rule 5 must protect players: (4) Bogaerts, Cecchini, Ranaudo, & Brentz 

Bubble: (6) Almanzar, C Carpenter, Balcom-Miller, de la Cruz, Hazelbaker, & Vinicio

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks MOON,  If I evaa become  G M , I will have a position for you !!!!   ( & SOFTY TOO, if you can work with him)

I'd have no problem with him as our peanut vendor.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My projected 2014 40 man Roster (41 with Kalish on 60 Day DL):

SP: Lester, Buchholz, Peavy, Doubront, Lackey, Dempster, Britton, Webster,

Workman, Ranaudo

RP: Free Agent, Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Morales, Miller, Thornton, Bailey,  

de la Rosa, Wilson, de la Torre, Beato, Villarreal

C: Free Agent, Ross, Lava, Vazquez

1B: Free Agent, Carp

2B: Pedroia

3B: Free Agent, Middlebrooks, Cecchini

SS: Bogaerts, Holt

OF: Free Agent, Victorino, Nava, Gomes, Bradley, Brentz, Kalish (60 Day DL)

Gone somehow: Bard, Wright, Butler, Snyder, & Hassan

Taken by Rule 5: de la Cruz & Vinicio

We may sign only 4 free agents and keep one of the above. We could also make a 2 or 3 for 1 trade that would allow us to keep some of the bubble players. For example, trade Brentz, Lava, and Villarreal for player to fill a "free agent" slot listed in red above. That would allow us to protect de la Cruz and maybe Snyder or Hassan.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Moon's list is quite long, but only a very few of those guys would ever be considered by other teams as Rule 5 picks because all Rule 5 guys must stay on any team's 25 man major league roster for the entire season.

Not many teams have the roster space to carry a single A or double A type player on their roster all year long.  Perhaps a couple of teams who have already thrown in the towel for 2014, but not likely anyone else could take such a chance like Houston did last off season by taking the Sox relief kid.

Depending upon how they finish this season all but Bogaerts, Ranaudo, Cecchini and Brentz could be available for any Rule 5 acquisitions and the Sox would likely not miss any of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We should have no trouble making room for the guys we really want to keep. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to torgorocks's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Sox4ever

Hey Bill, you've got a better chance at winning a spelling bee. Btw, you and Softy=the gruesome two-some.

Like the Kennedys,  its not the spelling, but how it sounds !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Can I get a complete list of the Sox minor leaguers who would be exposed to the Rule V draft if thry are not added to the 40 roster this off-season?

I always wondered what rules I thru IV were

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to torgorocks's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Hey Bill, you've got a better chance at winning a spelling bee. Btw, you and Softy=the gruesome two-some.

Like the Kennedys,  its not the spelling, but how it sounds !!!

[/QUOTE]

Why waste a spot on Contreras?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody's going to put Contreras on the 40 man this winter.

Vinicio & de la Cruz are nice prospects, but are not likely to be chosen and kept on the 25 man roster all year.

I think we only need to protect the 4 (Boggy, Cecci, Brentz, & Ranaudo). 

If we sign 5 free agenst to replace the 5 we lose, we will likely have to lose Bard, Wright, Butler, Snyder, & Hassan.

I'd like to keep some of these guys around, but I do not think it's a big deal if we lose them.

Sox4ever