40 Man roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

40 Man roster

40 man roster is full. Who's going to make room for Ross? Is there a trade in the works... maybe for some of the guys that are out of options?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: 40 Man roster

They'll probably DFA Darnell McDonald...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: 40 Man roster:
    [QUOTE]They'll probably DFA Darnell McDonald...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I actually agree.  Unless they're able to pull off a trade for a pitcher, but the DFA is more likely.  Aviles could play OF until Crawford returns.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

More likely, Ross starts in LF and Sweeney in RF with no platoon until Crawford returns.

Or they could use Lin, but I think that is unlikely...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

They need Aviles at SS.  McDonald will not be DFA'd until Crawford gets back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Maybe they will get a SS between now and then.  They are reportedly looking at infielders.

Or they could DFA Andrew Miller.  That'd work, too...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]More likely, Ross starts in LF and Sweeney in RF with no platoon until Crawford returns. Or they could use Lin, but I think that is unlikely...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I think I'd rather platoon RF.  Aviles in LF vs LHP's wih Ross in RF and Punto at SS, while Aviles plays SS against RHP's with Sweeney in RF and Ross in LF.  It should only be for a week or 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]They need Aviles at SS.  McDonald will not be DFA'd until Crawford gets back.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]
    So you'd rather give up someone with a shot (even a long shot) at having a future, just to get 2 more weeks of McDonald?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

They may find a new home for Anderson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think they trade Bowden or Atchison, who are both out of options and won't make the opening day roster unless there is an injury.

I think DMac stays at least until CC returns, mainly because Sweeney is really bad vs LHPs. I suppose they could use Aviles in the OF vs LHPs and Punto at SS, or they could do what I want and start Iggy at SS, and make Aviles more available to play OF, so DMac could be traded or DFA'd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I think they trade Bowden or Atchison, who are both out of options and won't make the opening day roster unless there is an injury.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If you have to choose now though, don't you almost have to DFA Atchison (out of those 2)?  If somehow Bowden makes the roster out of ST, you have 3 years of cheap control.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : If you have to choose now though, don't you almost have to DFA Atchison (out of those 2)?  If somehow Bowden makes the roster out of ST, you have 3 years of cheap control.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Hard to say. Atchison has pitched well for us for 2 years. I have to think we'd trade the one we like the least even if just for a low prospect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Imwould think they would DFA McDonald and then put him on Waivers....he is redundant with Ross and he will probably clear waivers anyway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Drake Britton? Stolmy Pimental? why are these guys on the 40 man roster?
    they hardly look like Major league material to me, based on their minot league numbers.
    These are two that can be DFA'd if they are out of options.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Drake Britton? Stolmy Pimental? why are these guys on the 40 man roster? they hardly look like Major league material to me, based on their minot league numbers. These are two that can be DFA'd if they are out of options.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

They were added to protect them from the rule 5 draft after breakout 2010 seasons.  Their 2011 seasons disappointed, but still both have potential to contribute in a major way if they can regain their form.  2012 will be a pivotal year for both.

Options have nothing to do with them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Does Lackey and Dice K count as a 40 man roster?  Since they will more likely go on 60 days DL which they can be excluded from the roster?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Does Lackey and Dice K count as a 40 man roster?  Since they will more likely go on 60 days DL which they can be excluded from the roster?
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

They count as being on the 40 man roster during the offseason.  They'll move to the 60 day DL once the season starts, thus freeing up their roster spots.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]They need Aviles at SS.  McDonald will not be DFA'd until Crawford gets back.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

...and who is explaining that to Cody?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But is there a rule that Boston must let go someone before adding Ross to the 40 man roster during off season?  or the 40 man roster limit does not effect until the opening day of MLB??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]But is there a rule that Boston must let go someone before adding Ross to the 40 man roster during off season?  or the 40 man roster limit does not effect until the opening day of MLB??
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE] Unlike the NFL,NBA and even the NHL,MLB only allows a 40 man Roster which runs  throughout the year and that is the maximum allowable roster spots.They are allowed as many minor league spots as they have teams so say they have 6 teams they can have 25 men per team or 150 players. My best guess is they DFA Atchison and he immediately signs with the Cubs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Imwould think they would DFA McDonald and then put him on Waivers....he is redundant with Ross and he will probably clear waivers anyway.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Until CC returns, we may need DMac. Plus, even if they DFA DMac now, we will probably still have to trade or DFA Bowden or Atchison anyways, since they are out of options.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : Until CC returns, we may need DMac. Plus, even if they DFA DMac now, we will probably still have to trade or DFA Bowden or Atchison anyways, since they are out of options.

With Crawford out:
    Bench:
    Shoppach
    Punto
    McDonald
    TBD

When Crawford Comes back:
    Shoppach
    Punto
    Sweeney
    TBD

This assumes Aviles is starting at SS.

Regardless, they aren't going to keep two guys who strictly play the outfield. Unless they pick someone up for another outfield position, McDonald will be on the roster until Crawford returns.

Once he returns, I would assume he gets released.

As it stands now, the TBD will most likely be from:
    Inglesias, Middlebrooks, Lin, Lavarnway

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I'd package 2-3 of the fringe/blocked/out of option type guys towards something..anything.  Either go for a Floyd, or at least get a medium ceiling double A type for them.  I do not know all of the pitchers who are out of options(there are several), but Lars, Albers, Atch, bowden, etc has got to get you something.  Maybe add a renaldo or middlebrooks or iglesis and get a decent SS, or Floyd.  I realise we have to give up at least one "upper" prospect for these type guys, but I would somehow try to move these guys with no options...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : Hard to say. Atchison has pitched well for us for 2 years. I have to think we'd trade the one we like the least even if just for a low prospect.

I think Atchison makes the team and stays there this year.  The main reason he bounced back and forth the last few years is that he was out of options.  He isn't great but he is a major league caliber bullpen guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

lots of the sox guys with no options left will either be traded during spring training if they are doing well and outrighted if they are not.

dropping a guy now must be done before they can add ross if there is no trade.  so, the guy they see most likely not to be able to contribute will be the guy who gets waived.

a trade of some of these guys without any more options is also not going to bring anything at this time of the year or they would have already been traded.  seems like there are many pitchers in this group and i would wait until spring training to move any of them.

the sox may need mcdonald later, but i doubt that there are many teams that are going to claim him right now (and take up a space on their 40 man roster) when there will be a dozen guys like him during (and after) spring training. 

mcdonalsd will accept a minor league invitation to the red sox camp if not claimed.  if he is claimed there will be other guys very similar to him looking for work if none of the sox current minor league outfielders do not shine during spring training.