#7?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: #7?

In Response to Re: #7?:
    [QUOTE]7 maybe, 24 & 25 definetly Tony C and Dewey deserve it, except for one pitch Tony C may have been the best to ever grace the Red Sox, Dewey is just my all-time favorite ...
    Posted by slakrking[/QUOTE]

I say definitely no for all 3 of these numbers being retired...

Too many players have worn the #7 jersey since Dom retired. Plus was he really good enough to earn this distinction...he was not Joe.

Also, you don't retire numbers on potential, so Tony C's #25 (although I loved the guy in '67 before the injury) does not qualify either. Our new manager will be wearing this number in 2012.

Lastly, and unfortunately for Dwight Evans, there is no way to retire #24 since it would indirectly honor a quitter and now, convicted PED user.

Numbers that should be considered for retirement in the next few years should include #45 and #33. I have a personal sentiment for #38, since I believe he was the key factor to finally get the team to win 2 championships. But that won't happen either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Rooster owned that number. It's like 30 and Cheevers. It's so funny how you see all these numbers get retired, then you see others that don't, and then you look and you go "why the hell isn't that number somewhere in the rafters." I'm baffled that 30 didn't get retired for Cheevers...it still bothers me, it's like goalies don't matter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was joking on Burleson btw, not on Cheevers, a HOF goalie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You think the Bills don't want to unretire No. 32?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]The Rooster owned that number. It's like 30 and Cheevers. It's so funny how you see all these numbers get retired, then you see others that don't, and then you look and you go "why the hell isn't that number somewhere in the rafters." I'm baffled that 30 didn't get retired for Cheevers...it still bothers me, it's like goalies don't matter.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Cheevers. After all these years, I still think of him when I see a goalie with that number.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

roy, I really think it had something to do with when he jumped ship to the WHA with some of the other B's--Pie Makenzie and Sanderson. Not that it should matter now, but I think the B's felt he left the franchise at the wrong time---he did in retrospect because those were prime Orr-Espo years.  If he stayed maybe the team would have won the Cup in 73 or 74.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

He still played 12 seasons in 2 stints with B's and his final season he actually was quite good...24-11-2 in goal, 2.89 GAVG during the hey-day of great scorers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]roy, I really think it had something to do with when he jumped ship to the WHA with some of the other B's--Pie Makenzie and Sanderson. Not that it should matter now, but I think the B's felt he left the franchise at the wrong time---he did in retrospect because those were prime Orr-Espo years.  If he stayed maybe the team would have won the Cup in 73 or 74.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was mad at him for jumping to the WHA but I rooted for him (and forgave him) when he came back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Rico, Smith and Yaz wore 6,7 & 8.  If Yaz had switched with Smith, then the numbers would have been used the way the used to be in the old days, identifying their position on the field.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Par - In the beginning, numbers, at least as I understood it to be reflected your position in the batting order, not number assigned to position on the field. I think by the 30's, this was no longer the case and you were assigned a number on whatever was available at the time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]I think the unspoken rule is that the Sox retire numbers only for players in the HOF. Since Dom did not make the hall, that explains the reason his # is not retired.  But if Pesky has his retired, then the argument could be made for Dom, and I would support that.  But the #7 I remember best is Reggie Smith.  Smith, Yaz, Petrocelli, the guys who played when I was a kid.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

It's actually not an unspoken rule.  It's part of the well defined criteria for red sox retired numbers.  1. In the baseball hall of fame, 2. At least 10 years with the sox.  3. Finish you're career with the sox, although they skirted around this with Fisk by giving him an honorary job with the sox for a day or so.
    They did go against the HOF rule for Pesky, but he did spend 70 years with the sox.
    Pretty much anyone who meets the criteria has his number retired.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Mo Vaughn's number was retired!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]You guys forgot my favorite No. 7 (in my lifetime). The Rooster -- Rick Burleson. But I'm OK in retiring the number for Dom.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Same. Favorite RS SS of my time, but will admit did get quite fond of O Cab in his short time w/ RS in 04. And still believe 1 of Theo's greatest mistakes as GM, and I said it at the time as well.