A Discussion on Theory in NYC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

A Discussion on Theory in NYC

It has been a given for so long that now there is a disaster in scheduling, so much so that there are Gothamites presenting a new theory on how long the calendar year actually is.

It is a tribute, really.  To those Bombers in the Bronx ... and everyone knows that every heart and soul in the Big Apple is tied to that team with no thought of being connected to anything else.  NOt baseball and, in the end, reality.

After all, they worshipped at the house that Ruth built.  Forget the fact that Ruth was a Red Sox and prior to his being sold by a New Yawker to the Yanquis so that he might finance a Great White Way production.  "No, No, Ruth Can't Go!!"  morphed somehow into "No, No Nannette"  And the legend of the great curse began ....  but that is all another discussion in theory ...

But with the other big leagues teams leaving the City for points far, far west, man. ... and the senior circuit burping up a new team, the Metropolitans, it became obvious to many that the only place to be in October was in Yanqui Stadium.

Or maybe earlier it was September.   But do you see the problem when you begin to mess with the calendar?  Julius - not Orange, you 'Cuse Lovers, - but Caesar changed reality by his own desires and changed the calendar by adding months …

Anyhow, the theory of how long a year is or rather how many months are in a year is now being discussed so as to exclude this odd month that now seems to be pointless. 

The purpose behind this ongoing conversation is to consider being humane to humanity, especially in NYC and places loyal … for the minds hard at work are thinking that this open, empty feeling must not be allowed to take hold.  For this loss of direction and pointless time, which one great Yanqui seer captured forever in the words, “If we don’t win the World Series, we failed.” Or something like that.  This pointless moment then, this failure, which becomes both an individual pain and a communal drain on positivity and mental health, should be eliminated.

Such is the source of the discussion.

And why wait to see if things are different next year?  There is no “Boss” in play nor is there one on the horizon who will come in and take the challenge by the horns and audaciously say he will save the Yanquis, come heck or high water.  So, in a time when we can change the number of planets in our solar system by mere acquiescence to a majority opinion, why not eliminate the source of the pain now.  Now!  Let us not wait for the emptiness of next October or November … Well, only October because it seems baseball minds have decided it may REALLY be the “boys of summer” playing for their championship in the early November snows …

Alas, the Big Apple, some think, may being considering theoretical changes to the calendar.  They have seen the pain it can cause other cities.  The south side of Chicago … even the years of pain in the home of the evil Red Sox.  In a turn of a phrase, there are those strongly pushing, “Let’s NOT wait ‘til next year!”  Let’s eliminate this month of loss, pain, pointlessness and bad timing for the … not Bronx Cheer.

No month, no pain.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: A Discussion on Theory in NYC

I like this idea, and would like to add to it, if you would kindly oblige me. The NY pain is multiplid by the rejection of their affections by one Mariano Rivera. Rivera, still dominant has walked away and separated before he has given the fans, and every wiseguy, big-mouthed vulgarity spitter the full measure and return of their devotion.By not leaving every tendril and tendon ruptured on their hallowed ground and walking away while he still can walk, Mo has left them aching for the reciprocity of affections. It is this decision to not die for them, which has so confused and tormented their psyche. Didn't Andy come back like the Prodigal Son and pitch his very heart out of it's cavity?  Derek Jeter has aged so much, from teen heart throb to senior citizen right under their eyes until he broke his leg in half just fielding a ground ball. Bernie Williams manned CF until he couldn't catch a ball hit right at him. Every great Yankee went to his demise in full saggy Pinstripes, save Joe-D. Leading to the unanswered question that stunned the legion, so many years ago, "Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?" It's been three generations since Yankee fans have been spurned like this, and it hurts, man it hurts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to youkillus's comment:

I like this idea, and would like to add to it, if you would kindly oblige me. The NY pain is multiplid by the rejection of their affections by one Mariano Rivera. Rivera, still dominant has walked away and separated before he has given the fans, and every wiseguy, big-mouthed vulgarity spitter the full measure and return of their devotion.By not leaving every tendril and tendon ruptured on their hallowed ground and walking away while he still can walk, Mo has left them aching for the reciprocity of affections. It is this decision to not die for them, which has so confused and tormented their psyche. Didn't Andy come back like the Prodigal Son and pitch his very heart out of it's cavity?  Derek Jeter has aged so much, from teen heart throb to senior citizen right under their eyes until he broke his leg in half just fielding a ground ball. Bernie Williams manned CF until he couldn't catch a ball hit right at him. Every great Yankee went to his demise in full saggy Pinstripes, save Joe-D. Leading to the unanswered question that stunned the legion, so many years ago, "Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?" It's been three generations since Yankee fans have been spurned like this, and it hurts, man it hurts.

An EXCELLENT expansion, Youk!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

SY, we'd love to see you in the Frat Chat!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

'Splain it to me Lucy .... (I admit to being clueless.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

He is already there Youk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Sorry I missed the last two games ... too late for me

zzzzzzz

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

amazing OP. (and followup by Youk).  well done boys, well done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

How can a city like New York eliminate October?

In America every day is Halloween, the freak show is 24/7, but to overlook the month of Halloween ( it truly is a month now, not just a single day) in NY ,the capital of America, well it isn't Washington everyone there is alseep or in a coma based on what progress (or lack of it)which comes out of that deadzone we send the politicrits to decide our future.

Yes, there are people on NY that are not baseball fans , at least I've heard this is true. It has to be true, because the Giants and Jets play in October even the Rangers play in October....those cannot be cardboard cutouts in the seats on nights when football and hockey are played during World Series games.

Still I enjoyed your little humorous story SinceYaz. You missed your calling as a fiction and fantasy writer (or maybe you are one...I wouldn't know).

Suggested reading: Ray Bradbury-'The October Country' a collection of short stories..nothing to do with baseball whatsoever.Smile

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes, I've seen 'em. But you mean you haven't seen fans of this ilk at Fenway? And what about the Philadelphia fans? Sounds like this theory has a few holes in it.

The reality is all fans have their share of imbeciles; I give you the Giant-Dodger rivalry, via the recent news.

And another thing; Dimaggio was pretty much done in his last season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Yes, I've seen 'em. But you mean you haven't seen fans of this ilk at Fenway? And what about the Philadelphia fans? Sounds like this theory has a few holes in it.

The reality is all fans have their share of imbeciles; I give you the Giant-Dodger rivalry, via the recent news.

And another thing; Dimaggio was pretty much done in his last season.

I'll just bet Detroit and Atlanta have some real dopes too.

Just a hunch.