A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

notin is "the man"!

Point awarded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'm not giving up on Ben but it's getting close. I'm getting close to believing this could be the beginning of a two year "bridge." There is nothing he says that gives me confidence in him as a leader.

We'll see--he could make a signing and a trade to keep the fans into buying tickets. 

I'm looking at this season as potentially worse than last season if the Sox make no more moves and CHOOSE to go with the 40 man roster Ben has established.

They are getting three guys off the DL--Ortiz, Middle and Lackey. They have two new players in David Ross and Jonny Gomes. They have a new manager and Coaching Staff.

They have a rotation of: Lackey, Buch, Doubie, Lester and Morales 

Pen: Bailey, Aceves, Melancon, Miller, Breslow

Bat. Order: Ells, Pedroia, Middle, Ortiz, Gomes, Salty, Kalish, Ciriaco, Sands/Gomez,

Bench: Gomez, D. Ross, Iggy, 

Are you confident????

So what happens to this years $80 M savings???

What happens to the Ben Statement--we will have a high payroll??

How confident are you Ortiz will return from his injury?

How confident are you that Lackey will be a capable starter again?

Middlebrooks ---sophmore Jinx??

I see maybe a signing and a trade---don't they need more to get a playoff spot--is this JH's MO from his Florida Marlins pre sale days??? More to come may mean just that--come Jan. a 4 Sale Sign goes up on Yawkey Way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not giving up on Ben but it's getting close. I'm getting close to believing this could be the beginning of a two year "bridge." There is nothing he says that gives me confidence in him as a leader.

We'll see--he could make a signing and a trade to keep the fans into buying tickets. 

I'm looking at this season as potentially worse than last season if the Sox make no more moves and CHOOSE to go with the 40 man roster Ben has established.

They are getting three guys off the DL--Ortiz, Middle and Lackey. They have two new players in David Ross and Jonny Gomes. They have a new manager and Coaching Staff.

They have a rotation of: Lackey, Buch, Doubie, Lester and Morales 

Pen: Bailey, Aceves, Melancon, Miller, Breslow

Bat. Order: Ells, Pedroia, Middle, Ortiz, Gomes, Salty, Kalish, Ciriaco, Sands/Gomez,

Bench: Gomez, D. Ross, Iggy, 

Are you confident????

So what happens to this years $80 M savings???

What happens to the Ben Statement--we will have a high payroll??

How confident are you Ortiz will return from his injury?

How confident are you that Lackey will be a capable starter again?

Middlebrooks ---sophmore Jinx??

I see maybe a signing and a trade---don't they need more to get a playoff spot--is this JH's MO from his Florida Marlins pre sale days??? More to come may mean just that--come Jan. a 4 Sale Sign goes up on Yawkey Way.

[/QUOTE]

Man, the sky is falling!

I agree that the current team won't do it, but we get a significant upgrade from last year IF Ortiz, WMB, Pedey, and Ells can stay healthy for the year, or at least the majority of it. Those are four solid bats that we did not have for a significant part of the year. Ells and WMB especially. It's just a fact that if your lineup gets hurt, you are in for a long season.

When Middlebrooks came up, he was mentioned with Trout and Harper as one of the best rookies, then he got hurt. He's definitely a keeper, which is why I would have Bogaerts getting reps at first.

1st base: Napoli seems to be a favorite. If not, I would kick the tires on Berkman for a 2-year contract and have Bogaerts take over after a year or so at first in AAA. Another option would be Kendrys Morales. He is coming off a broken ankle that had him sidelined more than a season, but the Angels have Pujols and Trumbo to cover first. Morales was cheap last year at $3M (slightly less). He was a beast before he broke his ankle. If the Dodgers pick up Grienke, offer Lackey for Morales. Morales can also DH obviously. Unfortunately, here in Hawaii we get ALL of tha Angels games.

Outfield: OK, no Stanton... But I would inquire first. I agree with another poster that Miami would torch the stadium if Stanton goes anywhere.

Next, J Upton would cost alot in a trade, but he does have a very affordable contract given where contracts are tending now.

I would kick the tires on Hamilton for 5 years, 3 guaranteed, and 2 vesting option years. Would be interesting to get him on a contract similar to Lackey's, except where a substance abuse issue causes him to work for the league minimum in the next year.

I would try to keep JBJ to take over for Ells. Ells is great when healthy, but he would worry me on a long-term contract.

Pitching: If we send Lackey to the Angels, I would try to trade Ells for Lee. As others have indicated, this would give Philly a great outfield piece. Red Sox would have their ace.

Just ideas for now, but most of the off-season is still ahead of us. If we are in the same boat by February 1, 2013, I will join you with "the sky is falling". I don't believe that all of our prospects will perform as well as everyone thinks, and I do not want to wait 2-3 years to find out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To many "ifs" need to all go right for us to have a real chance at a ring.

Better to trade away our FAs to be for prospects or players under team control for 3+ years, make some mid level signings of younger players, and make our mark in the big named FA market of 2013.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We are in the Trade and Signing Mecca--the Winter Meetings in Nashville. I haven't seen anyone's trades come true yet.

I think we will see a trade for Gavin Floyd to Boston; that's been talked about a lot for Salty.

I think we see Justin Masterson come back to Boston for Aceves and Pimentel.

Cody Ross may resign and they may trade for a switch hitting 1 B like Morales. I think Lester or Lackey will be traded for Morales.

If they trade Lester I would see them signing a FA?? Dan Haren.

That will leave them about $60 M to spend later in the season or save for next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Signing FA's wasn't really included and you guys adhered to that very well.

Now that they got the signing of Nap out of the way---will they sign more or resort to a trade or more???

I have broken the code by taking the liberty of throwing out 3 trades in my previous comment.

Open it up to legitimate trades by the Sox or others...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Naps will play 1B and occaisonally catch in NL parks (as Papi plays 1B) or after we pinch hit for a catcher. I doubt we get a 1Bman, although we may sign Swisher to play RF and maybe some 1B when Naps is catching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

We are in the Trade and Signing Mecca--the Winter Meetings in Nashville. I haven't seen anyone's trades come true yet.

I think we will see a trade for Gavin Floyd to Boston; that's been talked about a lot for Salty.

I think we see Justin Masterson come back to Boston for Aceves and Pimentel.

Cody Ross may resign and they may trade for a switch hitting 1 B like Morales. I think Lester or Lackey will be traded for Morales.

If they trade Lester I would see them signing a FA?? Dan Haren.

That will leave them about $60 M to spend later in the season or save for next season.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Mad!  I doubt that they trade for Morales now that they have Napoli, although I think that he will be on the upswing now that he has two good ankles! Pitching and an outfielder.

Kinda wonder if they make a run at Hamilton with all of these "clubhouse" guys that they are acquiring. I wondered about the Gomes signing, but between Papi, Gomes, now Napoli (former team mate), and a positive Pedey, should be a fun clubhouse for Hamilton. If they did get Hamilton, I hope that they have Ells or someone equivalent defensively in center. Maybe Victorino. Whoever it is will have to cover a lot of ground between Gomes and Hamilton!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Trade for a young corner outfielder. J Upton, Myers, or kick the tires on Stanton. (Yeah, I know that Stanton will never happen, but this is a wish list!)

Sign Victorino to a 3/21 deal. Trade Ells for Cliff Lee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade for a young corner outfielder. J Upton, Myers, or kick the tires on Stanton. (Yeah, I know that Stanton will never happen, but this is a wish list!)

[/QUOTE]

Josh H actually had a pretty good Field % in CF .985. It appears he becomes a little lacksadaisical at times. My choice would be Victorino in CF and Swisher in RF; you could probably get two for one of JHam. Power numbers would be less but you would have two more switch hitters to go with Salty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Josh H actually had a pretty good Field % in CF .985. It appears he becomes a little lacksadaisical at times. My choice would be Victorino in CF and Swisher in RF; you could probably get two for one of JHam. Power numbers would be less but you would have two more switch hitters to go with Salty.

[/QUOTE]

Well they did sign Victorino---good move.

I still think we will see Victorino in CF with Ells traded perhaps for a SS. I would like to see them sign Swish--the 44 th draft pick would be a small price to pay compared to the $45 M it will cost. If they pass on Swish I think they will trade for Choo to give Brentz one solid year in AAA.

Who will they sign or trade to pitch and play SS. I think they sign Dempster or Lohse and I think they trade for Floyd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Giancarlo is unhappy....

It is amazing the number of people who call him Mike Stanton. There is a clip on the web today of the Winter Meetings where they ask Jason Stark what he thinks of a Mike Stanton trade and he corrects the announcer. He also says that Miami needs a draw for the 57 fans that they have left.

I wonder if it is that many....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

Giancarlo is unhappy....

It is amazing the number of people who call him Mike Stanton. There is a clip on the web today of the Winter Meetings where they ask Jason Stark what he thinks of a Mike Stanton trade and he corrects the announcer. He also says that Miami needs a draw for the 57 fans that they have left.

[/QUOTE]

I would love to see Giancarlo in a Sox uni---I just don't think we have the dynamic guys the Marlins need to replace him that would attract attendance. We don't have a  young power bat other than Middlebrooks and I would trade him as part of the package. Add to WMB, Brentz, Buch, Tazawa and Salty. Would that do it? Include Ells and some cash. Would that do it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Giancarlo is unhappy....

[/QUOTE]

I would love to see Giancarlo in a Sox uni---I just don't think we have the dynamic guys the Marlins need to replace him that would attract attendance. We don't have a  young power bat other than Middlebrooks and I would trade him as part of the package. Add to WMB, Brentz, Buch, Tazawa and Salty. Would that do it? Include Ells and some cash. Would that do it?

[/QUOTE]

Pie in the sky at this point....

The Red Sox are short on pitching, so they would have to get Cliff Lee for Ells first, or another pitcher.

Then a three-way trade with KC. Lester plus some cash to KC. Myers, Morales, Brentz, and a KC prospect to Miami. Stanton to Boston.

Lee replaces Lester in the rotation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

No.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia alone is projected to earn eight times Giancarlo Stanton's salary in 2013. Clay Buchholz will earn about 12 times Stanton's salary with escalating salaries the following two years (when Stanton's salaries should jump signficantly in arbitration years).

The Marlins won't give away the best player in the deal and take on substantial payroll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia alone is projected to earn eight times Giancarlo Stanton's salary in 2013. Clay Buchholz will earn about 12 times Stanton's salary with escalating salaries the following two years (when Stanton's salaries should jump signficantly in arbitration years).

The Marlins won't give away the best player in the deal and take on substantial payroll.

[/QUOTE]

By "substantial" if you mean "ANY" I would tend to agree with you. League minimum players with lots of years under control.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

By "substantial" if you mean "ANY" I would tend to agree with you. League minimum players with lots of years under control.

[/QUOTE]

So WHO has to be included: Boggie, WMB, JBJ, Brentz, Rubby, Barnes, Owens, Iggy, Aceves--Maybe we pick up Wil Myers from KC, would that be enough?   That's 10 players Hill & 808-who else??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Choo, Masterson Chris Perez and Rafael Perez in exchange for 

Lester, Bailey, Ells and a prospect or cash.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Ells is traded, it will be to a contender thinking they just need him to go over the top.

We will get a prospect or two.

We can then flip the prospects, perhaps with some of our own, for other helpful pieces.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So WHO has to be included: Boggie, WMB, JBJ, Brentz, Rubby, Barnes, Owens, Iggy, Aceves--Maybe we pick up Wil Myers from KC, would that be enough?   That's 10 players Hill & 808-who else??

[/QUOTE]

Hi Mad! I think that you would have to select from that list - not all 10! I would not trade WMB. I think that he has a very high ceiling. Miami will not want Iggy - he is already $2M+ and therefore unaffordable to them.

I like the KC deal for Myers because he is one of "THE" elite prospects and it is a way for us to convert an "unaffordable" (in Marlins terms) pitcher into a vital trade piece. Myers would replace Stanton in the outfield next year. I am sure that the Marlins would give him a starting shot.

Myers, Doubront, and Lava would give Miami three low-priced starters for Stanton. I wanted to trade Morales and keep Doubront, but Doubront is less expensive and probably the better pitcher. If we had to add a prospect from the B's, then I would go with JBJ or Brentz.

The landscape changed with the Victorino signing. He can play center.

Now we can wait for Hill's opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Mad! I think that you would have to select from that list - not all 10! I would not trade WMB. I think that he has a very high ceiling. Miami will not want Iggy - he is already $2M+ and therefore unaffordable to them.

I like the KC deal for Myers because he is one of "THE" elite prospects and it is a way for us to convert an "unaffordable" (in Marlins terms) pitcher into a vital trade piece. Myers would replace Stanton in the outfield next year. I am sure that the Marlins would give him a starting shot.

Myers, Doubront, and Lava would give Miami three low-priced starters for Stanton. I wanted to trade Morales and keep Doubront, but Doubront is less expensive and probably the better pitcher. If we had to add a prospect from the B's, then I would go with JBJ or Brentz.

[/QUOTE]

I like your thought--I'm even thinking Ells to Texas for Michael Young and 3/4 of his remaining contract--to play 3 b--include WMB and Myers and Doubrount.

Shift Boggie to 3 b this summer with the PawSox and if the Michael Young thing doesn't materialize put Ciriaco at 3 b for this season.

Victorino, Pedroia, Stanton, Ortiz, Napoli, Gomes, Salty, Ciriaco, Iggy

If Young is brought in: Victorino, Pedroia, Young, Ortiz, Stanton, Napoli, Gomes, Salty,Ciriaco

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For comparison's sake, from today FanGraphs chat with columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/spontaneous-winter-meetings-live-chat-12512/

4:39 [ Comment From uruguayan uruguayan: ]

What's the bad link in this chain?:

Red Sox sign Sanchez (5/$85), Dempster (2/$28) and Stephen Drew (1/$8), trade Ells to the M's for Hultzen, Lester/Brentz to the Royals for Myers, and Salty to the White Sox for Floyd, then trade Myers/Hultzen/Doubront/Owens to the Marlins for Stanton.

Wednesday December 5, 2012

4:39 uruguayan 4:39 Dave Cameron:

Too low for Dempster and Drew, and those trades are all heavily slanted in Boston's favor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

For comparison's sake, from today FanGraphs chat with columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/spontaneous-winter-meetings-live-chat-12512/

4:39 [ Comment From uruguayan uruguayan: ]

What's the bad link in this chain?:

Red Sox sign Sanchez (5/$85), Dempster (2/$28) and Stephen Drew (1/$8), trade Ells to the M's for Hultzen, Lester/Brentz to the Royals for Myers, and Salty to the White Sox for Floyd, then trade Myers/Hultzen/Doubront/Owens to the Marlins for Stanton.

Wednesday December 5, 2012

4:39 uruguayan 4:39 Dave Cameron:

Too low for Dempster and Drew, and those trades are all heavily slanted in Boston's favor.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure that I agree with all of that opinion. Lester/Brentz for Myers would be adequate, I would think. I don't think KC could afford the trade without cash for Lester.

But I get your general point! Plus, Miami would have to be blown away or their stadium would be torched by irate fans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like your thought--I'm even thinking Ells to Texas for Michael Young and 3/4 of his remaining contract--to play 3 b--include WMB and Myers and Doubrount.

Shift Boggie to 3 b this summer with the PawSox and if the Michael Young thing doesn't materialize put Ciriaco at 3 b for this season.

If Young is brought in: Victorino, Pedroia, Young, Ortiz, Stanton, Napoli, Gomes, Salty,Ciriaco

[/QUOTE]

It appears Michael Young may be traded, most likely to the Phillies and not to the Sox.

Too bad this was a scenario that could have worked for the  Sox and possibly led to solidifying their RF for years to come with Giancarlo.

They would have had to include WMB, Myers and Doubrount(plus others if need be). Oh well that would have been the final piece--if it doesn't go through I hope they sign either Swish or Cody.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It appears Michael Young may be traded, most likely to the Phillies and not to the Sox.

Too bad this was a scenario that could have worked for the  Sox and possibly led to solidifying their RF for years to come with Giancarlo.

They would have had to include WMB, Myers and Doubrount(plus others if need be). Oh well that would have been the final piece--if it doesn't go through I hope they sign either Swish or Cody.

[/QUOTE]

Could the Sox make that rumored trade for Cliff Lee in exchange for Ells and a pitching prospect or Bailey? It would be nice to get our needed ace that we can count on. It's only money and it gives Barnes and Webster another year or two to get ready.