A Glimmer of Hope! Luchino Not Done With Firing Decisions!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

A Glimmer of Hope! Luchino Not Done With Firing Decisions!

Clearly, Upper management was not Prepared to commit to Tito, and decided to make Tito convince them why he should stay (have options picked up) and then wait on upper management to take it under advisement. Epstein most certainly had nothing to do with it. 

And clearly, few can be dense enough not to know that a manager who was good enough to manage two title team does not suddenly become incompetent as a manager. The last 3 years and 2nd only to Yankess payout is a first round sweep and 2 year missed playoffs debacle that rests 100% at the feet of the man who provided what he decided was golden chicken salad. 

All failure roads lead to Epstein, and it would be totally incompetent for upper management and ownership not to see the blatant obvious. Which leads me to the following comment:

"You don't have a full enough plate right now; you're going to raise another question like that?" Lucchino said when asked what position the organization will take if another team asks for permission to talk with Epstein, hardly a far-fetched notion in Chicago, where the Cubs are looking for an Epstein type to transform that franchise.

"We're not prepared to answer that question here," Lucchino said. "This is a press conference about the contributions Tito has made to this franchise. And besides, Theo is under contract with us. That's an issue that has nothing to do with this."

An admission that no decision has ben made on Epstein's job status, and an admission that Epstein is an issue.

Clearly, Epstein cannot be the solution to problems he created.

I still hold out some hope that Luchino and company will soon recognize the obvious and fire Epstein. I'm quite certain that upper management has not decided Epstein's fate. I'm less hopeful that they will can Epstein because of nepotism reasons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: A Glimmer of Hope! Luchino Not Done With Firing Decisions!

Im sorry Sir but the executive brains on the forum don't want names named and they want to continue forward int he exact same ship with the same exact crew to the promised land.

No we do not want to know names and we do not want to know who is to blame.

Bring back Wake Bring back Lackey Bring them all back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you think Lucciano and Henry didn't sign off on the carzy CC deal and the sad Lackey deal, you are pretending again.

You've bashed the Sox all year, then said Tb got into the playoffs due to the Sox collapse. Well, if you thought the Sox were so bad, why did you laugh when I said TB would stick around if they won my projected 90-92 games? 

Did you think the Sox would win 91+ or not?

You can't have it both ways no matter how you twist and turn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Rays got in because they won 5 straight at the end of the season.... the Rays gained entry into the play-offs because they wanted it more. Being down 7-0 to the Yankees after 5 would have totally deflated a Red Sox team, not the Rays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

If you think Lucciano and Henry didn't sign off on the carzy CC deal and the sad Lackey deal, you are pretending again.
    Who is Lucciano? Ownership signs off on every contract. Completely meaningless. Epstein is 100% responsible for FA choices. You pined for Lackey acquisition, while I said he was a prima donna who should not be offered more than 3 years and 30M.    

You've bashed the Sox all year, then said Tb got into the playoffs due to the Sox collapse.

No, I bashed Wastefield all year and you wrote novels why Wakefield was deserving of an active roster spot and starts.

It is a fact the Rays are in the playoffs due to record setting Red Sox collapse.

Well, if you thought the Sox were so bad, why did you laugh when I said TB would stick around if they won my projected 90-92 games?

The Sox were not bad, they collapsed. The collapse was due to Wakefield ceremonial tour and early coast and caution mode when 10 up on Rays in late August and 9 up in early September.

Did you think the Sox would win 91+ or not?

Yes. Did I think Wastefield would be carted out for T-Ball in August and September, instead of Aceves or Miller (good on road), no I did not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In the end Wake will not make it out of Spring Training, and Tek hopefully will follow. A total change from the old guard is necessary, and that includes Ortiz and Youk I suppose.

It will be a bit before any of our opinions and arguments can be solved by real life decisions by the Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

The Rays got in because they won 5 straight at the end of the season.... the Rays gained entry into the play-offs because they wanted it more. Being down 7-0 to the Yankees after 5 would have totally deflated a Red Sox team, not the Rays.                     

The Rays got in because:

A. Red Sox collapsed in record fashion

B.Yankees played mostly AAA profiles in final 3 games for a lot of innings, including the 7-0 final game that should bring about a rules change when it comes to playing players who were not on 25 man roster. Baseball must change expansion roster rules to avoid the debacle that took place in Tampa/St.Pete. Yankees dominated Rays a week earlier, then did a bad job of faking a winning effort in final 3 games that affected playoffs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, the Sox won less than you expected, but it's not Tito's fault. Hmmm...

Tito played Wake and Vtek.
    Tito kept Aceves in the pen.
    Tito benched miller and Weiland for Wake.
    Tito kept pitching Lackey.
    Tito played Jed over Scutty.
    Tito played att 13 Sox players you hate more that the ones you tolerate.

Did you think the Sox would win more than 94?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Actually, there is some chance that Epstein will be effectively fired in a decision that will come very soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My bet is that he will be ineffectively fired.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Why should Theo be fired if ownership gave him the go ahead on Lackey, Crawford, etc.?  They all sleep in the same bed.

Yet I want to know what, if anything, our esteemed captain did to keep the troops focused and in concert?  Where was he in all of this?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He was on the bench sitting next to his Aunt CERA, he was so valuable that when the pitching staff collapsed the manager still would rather have kept him on the bench; now that's true value.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Tito played Wake and Vtek.
    Tito kept Aceves in the pen.
    Tito benched miller and Weiland for Wake.
    Tito kept pitching Lackey.
    Tito played Jed over Scutty.
    Tito played att 13 Sox players you hate more that the ones you tolerate.

Tito did not sign Wastefied and Varite as FA. Tito does not make all decisons on PT allocation and roles.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Glimmer of Hope! Luchino Not Done With Firing Decisions!:
    [QUOTE]He was on the bench sitting next to his Aunt CERA, he was so valuable that when the pitching staff collapsed the manager still would rather have kept him on the bench; now that's true value.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

While you were gossiping under a Cambodian hair drier with distant uncle McCarthy.

Meet the new Pike.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thats fine harness you want to play games again, be called pike is the lowest insult one can sling. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

They will not fire Theo--he knows too much and LL knows that. They will hope the Cubs ask to talk with THeo and hope he gets the job. 

The problem is if he goes to the Cubs it's one fewer team that has a contract to get rid of in a potential trade with the Sox for Lackey. Like the rest of us Theo has had enough of Lackey.

I would take my chances with Zambranno even up for Lackey--I never thought I'd say that, Lackey is not a player I want to hear from anymore--it's never his fault. Zam Bran has a 125-81 career record and hasn't had a losing season since 2002 when he was 1-2.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

f you think Lucciano and Henry didn't sign off on the carzy CC deal and the sad Lackey deal, you are pretending again.
    Who is Lucciano? Ownership signs off on every contract. Completely meaningless. Epstein is 100% responsible for FA choices. You pined for Lackey acquisition, while I said he was a prima donna who should not be offered more than 3 years and 30M.   

Larry Luchino is  Epstein's boss.     he approves and it's done  if he says  no  it  doesn't happen.

He's waiting to be the next comissioner of baseball and was often spoken of as a reason Theo would  leave...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

In Response to Re: A Glimmer of Hope! Luchino Not Done With Firing Decisions!:
    Posted by BurritoT

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE SOX MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN TO GAME 163 IF THE YANKEES
    REALLY WANTED TO WIN. BUT...THEY ARE NOT REALLY
    OBLIGATED TO DO OUR JOB FOR US. IF GIRARDI HAD PUT
    IN ROBERTSON OR MARIANO IN THAT HORRENDOUS 8TH
    INNING TO NIP THE RALLY IN THE BUD...BOSTON WOULD
    HAVE THAT ONE MORE CHANCE....BUT C'EST LA VIE. THE
    SOX STUNK IN SEPT. TITO DESERVED TO GO FOR PITCHING
    WAKEFIELD TILL HE GOT 200. WAKE PUT THE WHOLE
    LINEUP IN THE TOILET. THEY HAD TO PLAY FROM BEHIND
    IN NEARLY EVERY GAME HE WAS OUT THERE DOWN THE
    STRETCH..WP, PASSED BALL, WP, WP, PASSED BALL.....
    IT WENT ON AD NAUSEUM, TILL TITO HAD TO PULL HIM
    IN EMBARRASSMENT. THAT'S 5 OR 6 GAMES RIGHT THERE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

They have to move on from Wake and Tek as it delaying the development of younger players. Someone on another thread mentioned Pujols.  Love the guy, but at 31 is that the beginning on the slide?  Look at his numbers.  But I believe a big part of their flaw (e.g.  inconsistency on offense) was the lack of a true legitmate RH thumper.  Losing Youkilis (and having him subpar most of the year) impacted that issue (RH) greatly.  Lackey, they will explore options, but in the end it will likely be too costly to jettison him.  Is he fixable?  Hey they kept with the program on Dice-K, they will try to repair this dude as well. 

I felt they didn't have a legitmate 4th OF this year.  Reddick had nice run, but he nose dived the last 6-7 weeks.  Drew is up, so there is a legitmate need for one or two more OF's.  Maybe Kalish comes back, but do you bank on him and have him turn into Reddick?  A bridge guy?  Likely.  I don't see them spending huge dollars on RF as I think all effort should be made to keep Ellsbury.  Maybe a huge old time trade with the Dodgers to get Kemp?  Let's see Pujols or Kemp....no brainer to me as to which one.  RH thump, desperately needed.  To do that it means bye to Ortiz as well. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I'M GETTING TIRED OF PAPI RUNNING DOWN TO FIRST BASE
    ON THREE STRIDES AND THEN WALKING THE REST. HE HAS
    A LAZY FAT BUTT. HE HITS BALLS OFF THE WALL THAT SHOULD
    BE DOUBLES BUT HE JUST DOESN'T HUSTLE ALL THE TIME.
    THAT SENDS A MESSAGE TO THE TEAM. KEVIN GREGG WAS
    RIGHT ABOUT PAPI, EVEN THO I DEFENDED PAPI AT THAT
    TIME. MAYBE PAPI NEEDED SOME CHIN MUSIC TO GET HIM
    TO MOVE HIS A__ DOWN THE BASELINE. TRADE THIS FAT
    TOAD AND LET'S GET A GUY WHO HUSTLES. MEANWHILE,
    THE GREAT SAVIOUR, LARS ANDERSON, ABSOLUTELY IS
    HORRENDOUS AT THE PLATE. WHO WERE THE "EXPERTS
    WHO SAID HE WOULD BE THE NEXT GREAT 1B ON THE SOX.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In Response to A Glimmer of Hope! Luchino Not Done With Firing Decisions!:
    Clearly, Upper management was not Prepared to commit to Tito, and decided to make Tito convince them why he should stay (have options picked up) and then wait on upper management to take it under advisement. Epstein most certainly had nothing to do with it.  And clearly, few can be dense enough not to know that a manager who was good enough to manage two title team does not suddenly become incompetent as a manager. The last 3 years and 2nd only to Yankess payout is a first round sweep and 2 year missed playoffs debacle that rests 100% at the feet of the man who provided what he decided was golden chicken salad.  All failure roads lead to Epstein, and it would be totally incompetent for upper management and ownership not to see the blatant obvious. Which leads me to the following comment: "You don't have a full enough plate right now; you're going to raise another question like that?" Lucchino said when asked what position the organization will take if another team asks for permission to talk with Epstein, hardly a far-fetched notion in Chicago, where the Cubs are looking for an Epstein type to transform that franchise. "We're not prepared to answer that question here," Lucchino said. "This is a press conference about the contributions Tito has made to this franchise. And besides, Theo is under contract with us. That's an issue that has nothing to do with this." An admission that no decision has ben made on Epstein's job status, and an admission that Epstein is an issue. Clearly, Epstein cannot be the solution to problems he created. I still hold out some hope that Luchino and company will soon recognize the obvious and fire Epstein. I'm quite certain that upper management has not decided Epstein's fate. I'm less hopeful that they will can Epstein because of nepotism reasons.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Agreed that Theo Ineptstein must go - he has no credibility anymore and all player agents know he is a stupid gull who will bid against himself, overpay and overyear on any top tier free agent - witness Julio Lugo, Nancy Drew, Shelackey, Crawdad, ad nauseum et ad finitum!  Who do you like for new GM, Less?  How about Billy Beane?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

Is it common sense to give players multi million dollars AFTER you teach them how to play the game of baseball not before? Think of all the hustle you would get out of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Softy, I continue to be disappointed in you, for such a smart person you can really dumb out sometimes. I THINk your problem is that you get attached to certain storylines (such as 'Theo must go') so when new evidence comes in that contradicts or alters those storylines, you turn a blind eye. 

Let me help you out a little bit. First off, Theo has the buy-in of the ownership group. The only hope of Theo leaving is if he leaves on his own volition for the Cubs job. He will NOT be fired nor will he sneak out in a gorilla suit again. 

You have made an assumption that the incompetence in the Red Sox organization does not go beyond Theo. I question that assumption. While Francona conducted himself with integrity yesterday, the ownership group did not do themselves any favors with their dishonest spin. I have also heard some persuasive info that Theo was not as keen on the Crawford signing as the owners eager to make a splash were. I don't know if that's true or not but it makes sense from the vantage point of owners wanting to regain the media and fan attention on the Sox (which it did when the signing happened). It may not be true, but it may be. The difference between you and me is I don't assume my sources are correct since after all I am not close with the ownership group. Of course, neither are you. 

So go ahead, assume that the Red Sox problems go no higher than Theo. I think we've seen plenty of evidence that this is not the case. 

Having said that, after some reflection after the season I do believe that Francona and Theo both need to move on. However realistically that's not going to happen. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

LOL. You also have some information that Theo was not keen on Crawford! For someone who patronizes, you are not very good at it. Whether Theo gets fired or Wastefield returns is not the issue. The issue is who is responsible for the 3 year fiasco. It most certainly is Epstein. I already said my confidence level in LWH goes to zero if they do not fire Epstein before this winter. So knock off the "it goes above Epstein" routine.