A Hole in One

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

A Hole in One

This is not about golf, but it is about playing up to par. The hole I'm referring to is the one on the left side of the infield. The opening is especially apparent when compared to the variance over last year. In 2010 Adrian Beltre got to every ball(and leftfielder), coming in his direction. This year using the same diminished shortstops, (Lowrie and Scutaro), and a middle of the defensive pack Youkilis, that hole is big enough to drive Whitey's armored truck through. This tells me that Iggy will soon be in Boston, which will be tied in tandem to the replacement of JD Drew in RF. SS is the one of two positions where limited offensive production may be offset with stellar defense, the other being catcher.
     My seventh grade teacher, Mrs. Lawton was fond of asking, "Do you know, what you don't know?", Do you know that one of the best power hitting second basemen is not Dustin Pedroia or Robinson Cano? It's Danny Espinosa of the Nationals, in just 109 MLB games he's hit 21 HR. The guy was rushed through the minors playing just 275 games, 40 HR's will get you noticed quickly though. At 6.0' and 190 lbs, Espinosa uses a quick swing with an uppercut to drive the ball, and has 31 extra basehits thus far. Now you know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Re: A Hole in One

Lowrie equals butcher with a pretzel body and a little league swing against RHP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: A Hole in One:
    [QUOTE]Lowrie equals butcher with a pretzel body and a little league swing against RHP.
    Posted by redsoxcorpseman[/QUOTE]

Lowrie's obviously not the answer, heck he's not even the question. You nailed hm from the beginning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Youk, he has strengths, but not everyday career SS strength. That's what I saw early on. With Youk, very imporant to have a SS with a lot of range.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Youk, he has strengths, but not everyday career SS strength. That's what I saw early on. With Youk, very imporant to have a SS with a lot of range.
     I ran numbers this morning on most of the ML 3B, looking at chances and games played. No surprise that Beltre was near the top with almost 3 chances per game, (232Ch/78G = 2.97 ChPG) last year he was 442/154= 2.87. Youk is 170/71=2.39.
     Meanwhile senior citizen Chipper Jones is 137/66=2.07, I saw Jones against the Nats early in the season, suffice to say Jones can't play ML level 3B anymore.
    For comparson:
    Beltre 2.97
    Nix 2.95
    Tejada 2.94
    Polanco 2.76
    Longoria 2.69
    Arod 2.54
    Rolen 2.53
    Youk 2.39
    Figgins 2.37
    McGehe 2.36
    Wright 2.33
    Reynolds 2.14
    Jones 2.07
    Wiggington 1.97
      This is a quick back of the envelope glimpse at defensive prowess, we know Beltre is good and he's at the top, likewise Jones and Wiggington are past their
    primes and we find them at the bottom too. The surprise to me was Tejada, apparently he's involved in a lot of plays, so good for him. Is Youk killing us?, no, but with a better defensive SS, Youk would be less of a liability.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

When do we get to see Navarro actually play SS?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I think Beltre is in a class his own, to compare Youk to him is kind of unfair. To me, Youk is, as you said, middle of the pack. I actually think his hands are very good, but his feet...not so much.

I don't, however, think it's time for the kid. I honestly think the D, with Scutaro, is fairly comparable to most other teams. TEX with Beltre and Andrus is hands down the best, and I have no doubt Beltre and Andrus make each other's jobs easier.

I'm fine with Scut for the rest of the year, no need to rush anyone along. Iglesias is 21. My bigger fear would be exposing such a young player to this cCity, this media and this division, let alone major league baseball. Let him be ready, and don't submarine this kid's chances by bringing him up early. I expect he will at least be a late season callup when rosters expand, possibly sooner depending on health. I've been waiting for this kid for over a year, I drool over good defensive SS, and all the talk is he is a wizard. I want to see it just as much as the next guy, but when I do see it, my hope is to watch for ten years, that's the bigger picture.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]When do we get to see Navarro actually play SS?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

About the sixth inning, right after the ground crew rakes up Scut's right arm after it falls off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Trade Lowrie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Lowrie.

Yeah, cause his value is so high right now(saecasm)..Nope. Let him recover and try and build the value again..Then sell if thats the decision..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

beltre had 19 errors last year and has consistently been near the top in errors by a 3rd baseman during his career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]beltre had 19 errors last year and has consistently been near the top in errors by a 3rd baseman during his career.
    Posted by ---The-Babe---[/QUOTE]

While thats true, it's a red herring. Beltre gets to more balls so he will make more errors, everyhing else being equal. Butch Hobson famously made 43 errors one year, I went back and looked at every game that he made an error in, and found that he only caused 4 losses. Some errors were in games that they won, so no effect, some were in games that they were already losing, sometimes he made multiple errors in the same game. Beltre's 19 errors last year may have been among the leaders, but few 3B played as many games, A-Rod made only 7 errors,
    but played only 124 games, with a lot fewer chances, he needed 80 more chances to get to the same rate of chances as Beltre.
     It's far worse to have a guy like Baltimore's Mark Reynolds, he makes a lot of errors, doesn't get to that many balls, and doesn't make up for the defense with stellar offense. For that reason, A-Rod is one of the best total all around 3B, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Hole in One :   While thats true, it's a red herring. Beltre gets to more balls so he will make more errors, everyhing else being equal. Butch Hobson famously made 43 errors one year, I went back and looked at every game that he made an error in, and found that he only caused 4 losses. Some errors were in games that they won, so no effect, some were in games that they were already losing, sometimes he made multiple errors in the same game. Beltre's 19 errors last year may have been among the leaders, but few 3B played as many games, A-Rod made only 7 errors, but played only 124 games, with a lot fewer chances, he needed 80 more chances to get to the same rate of chances as Beltre.  It's far worse to have a guy like Baltimore's Mark Reynolds, he makes a lot of errors, doesn't get to that many balls, and doesn't make up for the defense with stellar offense. For that reason, A-Rod is one of the best total all around 3B, IMO.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the '78 red flops wished they had won one of those 4 games......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Hole in One : I'm guessing the '78 red flops wished they had won one of those 4 games......
     Yeah, the '78 Sox probably do, but that would have diminished the 2004 Sox
    GREATEST COMEBACK/ BIGGEST SPORTS CHOKE EVER, wouldn't it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Hole in One :  Yeah, the '78 Sox probably do, but that would have diminished the 2004 Sox GREATEST COMEBACK/ BIGGEST SPORTS CHOKE EVER, wouldn't it?
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

So in your opinion the Yanks choked? I always just thought the better team won, my bad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Hole in One : So in your opinion the Yanks choked? I always just thought the better team won, my bad.
     The teams were even, so yeah the Yanks choked!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, but I'm happy with Youk.  Right now he is reportedly playing on two bad ankles, but he still makes smart plays in the field and can still hit pretty good.  He doesn't have to be Beltre who, it should be noted, took out not one but two Sox leftfielders last year.  You can bet the Rangers are never going to let Hamilton play LF. 

Most if not all official scorers recognize when thirdbasemen make great plays to get to balls but don't catch them cleanly--so they don't charge them with errors when they range deep in the hole or down the line.  Pedroia also has pretty good range, and he doesn't commit a lot of errors. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Jose Iglesias SS 63 226 21 51 4 0 0 17 55 12 33 6 3 .271 .243 .226 .514 9 Four doubles in 226 at bats and a .226 average he'll might never be a MLB shortstop.
    Posted by darrylfries[/QUOTE]

I agree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, but I'm happy with Youk.  Right now he is reportedly playing on two bad ankles, but he still makes smart plays in the field and can still hit pretty good.  He doesn't have to be Beltre who, it should be noted, took out not one but two Sox leftfielders last year.  You can bet the Rangers are never going to let Hamilton play LF.  Most if not all official scorers recognize when thirdbasemen make great plays to get to balls but don't catch them cleanly--so they don't charge them with errors when they range deep in the hole or down the line.  Pedroia also has pretty good range, and he doesn't commit a lot of errors. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Well said Max,I'm with you on this.Youk has a .972 fielding average at 3rd base this season and Beltre's is .954.I know the argument about Beltre having better range,but his range doesn't help too much if he's booting the ball or making errant throws.Youkilis also has a more manageable contract and is making about 6 million less per year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

youk is slow, his range below average, good hands, average arm at best - im thinking DH in a few years

wish we would have kept Beltre and moved dustin to short and youk to second

then again no CC probably or Agon

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Hole in One :  Well said Max,I'm with you on this.Youk has a .972 fielding average at 3rd base this season and Beltre's is .954.I know the argument about Beltre having better range,but his range doesn't help too much if he's booting the ball or making errant throws.Youkilis also has a more manageable contract and is making about 6 million less per year.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

fielding % is hardly a good measure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]youk is slow, his range below average, good hands, average arm at best - im thinking DH in a few years wish we would have kept Beltre and moved dustin to short and youk to second then again no CC probably or Agon
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Twinkletoes Youkilis at 2B?  Can't really see him as a middle infielder!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Hole in One : Twinkletoes Youkilis at 2B?  Can't really see him as a middle infielder!
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

I believe youseless will be a DH in the near future. He's too fragile to stay in the field.