A look at potential help from the minors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A look at potential help from the minors

A look at Red Sox minor leaguers who could have some impact on the 2012 season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15214/soxprospects-cherington-has-options

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: A look at potential help from the minors

Good job by Mike.

One difficult decision for Cherington will be whether to let Jason Varitek walk in free agency, and then whether to pencil in Lavarnway as the backup backstop.

This is an easy no-brainer decision.

A. Varitek is begging for a contract because no team is going to offer him more than a minor league contract to compete for a major league contract and roster spot. Varitek, turning 40 years old for next season, has been unable to finish either of the last two seasons despite only playing about 53 games average over the last 2 years. As Tito and Epstein were discarded by ownership saying no to extensions/options, so, too, should be the disposition towards 2011 clubhouse leader Varitek. Varitek is completely unable to competently field the position, even as a part-timer, and lost any team leadership credibility in 2011.

B. If Reds do not offer arbitration to Hernandez, Varitek's 1 or 2M gift contract needs to be applied to the 3 or 4M (option 2nd year 1.5 buyout) needed to sign Hernandez. Salty was not maor league material as a starting catcher in 2011 (good arm but hands of stone and 26 passed balls and a sub .300 OBP). Salty and Lavarnway need to compete over the next year or two to see if one will be capable of becoming the long term future Red Sox starting catcher.

C. All Varitek on the roster does is waste a roster spot on a backup catcher and cut into a spot that needs to be used for Salty and Lavarway, up and down from AAA. Red Sox need a proven solid overall catcher for 2012. Hernandez would fit the bill at lower cost and only one year commitment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Hernandez is definitely an interesting option at Catcher for 2011.  It seems like it is still possible Cinci will re-up him and if he hits the open market there will be other teams interested.  Specifically, from what I've read, the Twins would be very interested.

He has caught around 90 games the last couple years and that type of workload for the Sox in 2012 would, as you say, give ample time to see how Salty and Lavarnaway develop.  The Red Sox could even go a second year on a Hernandez contract and in the event Salty or Lavarnaway earn more starts, Hernandez as 3/4 million dollar back-up who catches 50 games in 2013 is fine. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It was an excellent overview on the farm. Absolutely right on. Mike Andrews is a for real sports reporter. No question about it. He deserves the gig he has recieved and is a valuable member of the EPSN Boston team IMO. Every article I have read from him on ESPN Boston has been right on and full of usefull data.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: A look at potential help from the minors:
    [QUOTE]It was an excellent overview on the farm. Absolutely right on. Mike Andrews is a for real sports reporter. No question about it. He deserves the gig he has recieved and is a valuable member of the EPSN Boston team IMO. Every article I have read from him on ESPN Boston has been right on and full of usefull data.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom,I agree with you about Mike Andrews.Him and Alex Speier (WEEI.com) are 2 of my favorites to read 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston's main concern is not the catching.  They rather to focus their main holes such as starting pitchings, bullpen, DH, 3B (if Youkilis move to DH/3b/1b) and maybe RF.  Tek have not done anything in past two years.  Maybe his communication between him and pitchers may be one of the best in baseball, but he lack throwing out base stealers, and he cant hit!!!  Plus he is a waste of money, just like Wakefield.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Good article, thanks for sharing. Some potential help down there, not great, but potentially okay later in the year. My hope is that by 2013 our farm system begins to ramp back up with several solid prospects....particularly starting pitchers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

wow, I dont agree with the article at all. I still dont see Lavarnway as a big league reciever. Hitting potential? Of course. Will he hit enough to play in spite of being Posada-esque on defense?
    I think Igelsias is still a non propspect for a Theo-type team, assuming Cherington has a similar mind set (I see no reason Cherington will differ as he has been in the org for so many years and it has worked well). Sox want and need offense from the SS position. That is why Scutaro is back on the team. 
    The balance of the positional players are AAAA players for a top tiered team. 
    The potential is with the pitching. Ranaudo, Britton, Wilson and Stolmy are still high ceiling arms that project in spite of bumps in the road this year. They still have health and have maintained velo. Ranaudo in 2013 c/b real, Britton and Wilson not far behind...Stolmy may be suited for the BP. Weiland, I am on the fence, would like to see him in relief. Tawaza is a non factor imo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE] "Salty was not maor league material as a starting catcher in 2011 (good arm but hands of stone and 26 passed balls and a sub .300 OBP)."   To be fair,Salty threw out 31% of base stealers,which was 3rd in the AL and 5th in the Majors from catchers who caught 100+ games.   Also,it has to be taken into consideration that the majority of Salty's passed balls came when he was catching Wakefield's knuckleball. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Salty showed enough last year to warrant another season to see if he can take it to the next level. Often lost on many is that some players actually do improve...see Ellsbury and before him Coco Crisp, neither of whom came up and played GG quailty OF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]Good job by Mike. One difficult decision for Cherington will be whether to let Jason Varitek walk in free agency, and then whether to pencil in Lavarnway as the backup backstop. This is an easy no-brainer decision. A. Varitek is begging for a contract because no team is going to offer him more than a minor league contract to compete for a major league contract and roster spot. Varitek, turning 40 years old for next season, has been unable to finish either of the last two seasons despite only playing about 53 games average over the last 2 years. As Tito and Epstein were discarded by ownership saying no to extensions/options, so, too, should be the disposition towards 2011 clubhouse leader Varitek. Varitek is completely unable to competently field the position, even as a part-timer, and lost any team leadership credibility in 2011. B. If Reds do not offer arbitration to Hernandez, Varitek's 1 or 2M gift contract needs to be applied to the 3 or 4M (option 2nd year 1.5 buyout) needed to sign Hernandez. Salty was not maor league material as a starting catcher in 2011 (good arm but hands of stone and 26 passed balls and a sub .300 OBP). Salty and Lavarnway need to compete over the next year or two to see if one will be capable of becoming the long term future Red Sox starting catcher. C. All Varitek on the roster does is waste a roster spot on a backup catcher and cut into a spot that needs to be used for Salty and Lavarway, up and down from AAA. Red Sox need a proven solid overall catcher for 2012. Hernandez would fit the bill at lower cost and only one year commitment.  
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"Salty was not maor league material as a starting catcher in 2011 (good arm but hands of stone and 26 passed balls and a sub .300 OBP)."

To be fair,Salty threw out 31% of base stealers,which was 3rd in the AL and 5th in the Majors from catchers who caught 100+ games.
      Also,it has to be taken into consideration that the majority of Salty's passed balls came when he was catching Wakefield's knuckleball. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Potential help ?      It was seen in September when the rosters were expanded with some callups.     How many of them made an impact ?    Lavarnway and nobody else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Salty was not maor league material as a starting catcher in 2011 (good arm but hands of stone and 26 passed balls and a sub .300 OBP)."

To be fair,Salty threw out 31% of base stealers,which was 3rd in the AL and 5th in the Majors from catchers who caught 100+ games.
    Also,it has to be taken into consideration that the majority of Salty's passed balls came when he was catching Wakefield's knuckleball.

To be fair, check your reading comprehension. I said Salty has a good arm. But even excluding Wastefield, you have not been paying attention if you have not noticed how clumsy and poorly Salty actually catches and tries to block pitches. You also fail to notice an under .300 OBP and a guy who did not catch a heavy load yet become an auto-out late in the season. Not major league starter material at this point. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theres a lot of talent in the minors..I believe Theo was off by 1-2 years on their development..Guys like Middlebrooks, Hassan, Brentz, Wilson, Ranaudo etc..And even more potentials in the lower levels..Bogaerts, Cecchini, Coyle, Jacobs, Swihart, Vitek..One thing Theo did do was draft good..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"One thing Theo did do was draft good.."

People say this a lot without really knowing the inner workings of how a team works.  I honestly don't know how much input Theo had on the drafts but typically the GM does not handle the draft but the scouting director does.  That why Theo also brought his former scouting director Jason McLeod to Chicago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]It was an excellent overview on the farm. Absolutely right on. Mike Andrews is a for real sports reporter. No question about it. He deserves the gig he has recieved and is a valuable member of the EPSN Boston team IMO. Every article I have read from him on ESPN Boston has been right on and full of usefull data.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Can you prove he is a valuable member of the ESPN Boston team? Money mouth

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

softy hankwilliams is a little heavy-handed in the C criticism.  Salty/Tek made C a plus position for the Sox, despite the Wakefield-caused PB's and Tek's inability to throw runners out.  Until September their hitting was pretty good, and in September there were plenty of other no shows in the hitting department.  Going into 2012 catcher is not a problem, with or without Tek.  I personally prefer Lavarnway over Tek. 

But, as others have said, the big club really needs pitching, and for 2012 that doesn't look so grade.  Cherington has his work cut out for him. 

If Ortiz is re-signed, the Sox will have a very good lineup in 2012, probably the best in MLB, and good enough fielding.  But the pitching remains suspect. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Salty wore down at the end of the season but since he had never played that many games in a year that is somewhat understandable. His Arm and throwing out base stealers got better as the year went on....I expect an even better season from him. As for Lavarnway, I cannot say I had ever seem him play until he came up to Boston, and I understand his rep was one of needing more work on defense, but in the games he played he looked adequate to me and showed a decent arm(much better than Teks now)....so I don't understand the negativity that he couldnt be the backup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Hazelbaker is an interesting name - he has the speed and plate discipline to be a terrific leadoff guy, if the Sox do deal Ellsbury or lose him to FA after 2013.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Hazelbaker is an interesting name - he has the speed and plate discipline to be a terrific leadoff guy, if the Sox do deal Ellsbury or lose him to FA after 2013."

I'm going to have to disagree with that one.  The guy's already 24 and has only played 90 games at the AA level.  He's also rated as the Sox 30th best prospect according to soxprospects.com.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]"Hazelbaker is an interesting name - he has the speed and plate discipline to be a terrific leadoff guy, if the Sox do deal Ellsbury or lose him to FA after 2013." I'm going to have to disagree with that one.  The guy's already 24 and has only played 90 games at the AA level.  He's also rated as the Sox 30th best prospect according to soxprospects.com.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he's a shoe-in, but he's my sleeper pick.  What I like about him is that his OBP is 100 points higher than his average - that's an approach that could lead to success at the next level.  To me, he looks a lot like Brett Gardner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To be fair, check your reading comprehension. I said Salty has a good arm. But even excluding Wastefield, you have not been paying attention if you have not noticed how clumsy and poorly Salty actually catches and tries to block pitches. You also fail to notice an under .300 OBP and a guy who did not catch a heavy load yet become an auto-out late in the season. Not major league starter material at this point. 

While I'm also not very high on Salty as our 2012 catcher, I am not sure why a thread about our prospects turns into a VTek bashfest and a sign Ramon Hernandez repeat rant, but hey, softy, when's the last time Salty was able to finish a season?

How many games has Salty averaged from 2010-2011?  (Is it 57?)

Who had a higher OBP than Salty, but was a back up?

Who had the 7th best Slg% out of all catchers over 380 PAs? (Salty)

Who had the 13th best Slg% out of 32 catchers with 250 or more PAs? (VTek)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think Ramon would have been a great addition about 4 years ago - he is too old. We really won't improve ourselves like this.

It would be like adding Beltran - another terrific player maybe 3 years ago...

I am against short term stop-gaps where the players are already 34+ years old... Hernanez and Beltran are the types of players you ad in July once you have obvious needs... we need to go younger during the winter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Varitek and Salty did not make catcher a plus position in 2011. The two are butchers catching and blocking the ball, and both were auto outs for large part of the season.

Varitek and Salty OBP was under .300.

If the Red Sox are going to dump another 2 to 4M for these two bums, insanity is the word that comes to mind. A 160M plus budget, trade market and FA market and farm system and this is what you choose.............

Nice to see overwhelming majority of Red Sox fans see the light and want Varitek gone. Salty is not starter material and Lavarway is not proven. Red Sox need a solid veteran like Hernandez (or Laird as a defensive alternative) and make Salty have to fend off Lavarnway as future Red Sox catcher to stay out of the Red Sox dumpster.

The historic collapse of 2011 was embarrassing. Tito and InEpstein have been effectively fired, and Varitek is the player face of that debacle. If Varitek was able to play 53 games and finish a season in solid form, maybe a 1 year deal and 1M would be appropriate. But he isn't, and removing his 40 year old face is essential for new team leadership, even if Varitek wasn't' on the shelf every season.

I've never wanted two Red Sox players gone more than the two 40 plus year old parasites.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]"One thing Theo did do was draft good.." People say this a lot without really knowing the inner workings of how a team works.  I honestly don't know how much input Theo had on the drafts but typically the GM does not handle the draft but the scouting director does.  That why Theo also brought his former scouting director Jason McLeod to Chicago.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

I do understand the process..Its obvious, at least to me, that one man does not do the job, thus the reason for a scouting dept..I realize that there are many voices involved in those decisions.