A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Will we see a Gil Meche pulled by Drew or Cameron? Pitcher Spurns $12 Million, to Keep Self-Respect http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html Chipper Jones ""Nowadays, so many players play the game for the 1st and 15th [pay days], but I never have," he said. "Certainly, I want to be compensated fairly for what I do, but I wasn't going to hold the organization over a barrel. And I never wanted to be a player who makes so much money that we can't stay competitive on the field. That was my main concern." I know Lowell turned down money from Philly, but there is no good reason he didn't retire early last season.  He stayed for the check, it hurt me to watch him run.  He should have been embarrassed to block a young guy and to hurt the team taking a roster spot.  If defense is valued correctly Drew has been worth his contract through 4 years, even if Yazzer's 3 brain cells can't see that. That being said it is hard to justify playing Drew over Reddick against RHP. If Drew continues to struggle will he do the right thing? He has more than he can ever spend plus he has his Monavie income I did a cursory search and I was unable to find another player who did what Meche did. There must be others maybe some of the older posters can remember? Plenty have given hometown discounts or retired with gas in the tank. New avatar is a tribute to the power of potato salad!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

J.D. has always played good defense but I judge his worth this way.  When Theo signed J.D. we had just come out of the Trot "DL/platoon" years, yet Theo signed J.D. anyway to even "bigger bucks" even though he had similar traits. 

If I was going to pay a guy this kind of money you would hope for more playing time, little to no platooning and a bit more consistent offense.

I like Drew but he was paid too much!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]BDC had some technical issues, Moon . I had practically no access here for about a week. I hope UR having a good time. You mentioned family health scare. I take it all is well. Everything is fine. It was an intial misdiagnosis. We were all scared for almost 2 days. BTW: I meant to ask you, you have previously posted links in UR OP to previous REALISTIC threads. I noticed you didn't on this one. Do you by any chance have the links for last year's? I'm interested in May thru Oct. I went back 20 pages in the ARCHIVE #'s 3 & 4 but never saw the other REALISTIC threads. I looked for them too, but could not find them. They may have erased them. BDC does move some current threads when they change forums, but they never move this thread because of the volume of posts. I can't imagine why BDC would delete them if they couldn't be moved. I'm just really surprised they aren't readily accessible once the move is made. Did you try the links posted on those threads you found?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's just it, Moon. I haven't found them. I recalled the links because you always posted then on prior OP's. Did you ever keep a record of those links?

How's UR vacation going?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's just it, Moon. I haven't found them. I recalled the links because you always posted then on prior OP's. Did you ever keep a record of those links?

I never kept the links. They seem to be gone now. They usedto be on the first pages of the front burner archives. They muct have deleted them. 

How's UR vacation going?

Got wet last night, but the game was still enjoyable. Lester had some tough luck, but seems to be pitching better now.

It was nice to see VTek get a couple nice hits and make the gutsy play to 3rd base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Were you surprised to see Tek catching Lester?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I completely disagree with the thesis that a good defensive rightfielder is worth $14M a year.  The minors are filled with good defensive outfielders--strong arms, good hands, good wheels--who can't hit. 

Neither Youk nor Pedroia is paid anywhere near what Drew is paid, and both are better hitters and better fielders (both have Gold Gloves).  This year AGon is paid half of what Drew is. 

Reddick languishes in the minors because of his hitting, not his fielding which is probably on a par with Drew's.  The same is probably true of Kalish (except he is on the DL).  Now that Reddick looks like he can hit, I think it's even money Drew will play fewer and fewer games when Crawford returns to the lineup. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Max: Youk, Pedey and AGONE were not FA's or opting out of contracts for better offers. That's not a good analogy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Were you surprised to see Tek catching Lester?

Yes, a bit, but I do think Tito needs to mix it up some, so Salty can "learn" each pitcher and VTek doesn't lose connection with the others.

I still like VTek vs LHPs and Salty vs RHPs as the rough guide to who should start. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Were you surprised to see Tek catching Lester? Yes, a bit, but I do think Tito needs to mix it up some, so Salty can "learn" each pitcher and VTek doesn't lose connection with the others. I still like VTek vs LHPs and Salty vs RHPs as the rough guide to who should start. 

Just can't teach an old Moon new shtick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I understand the value of the consistent caddy method but Salty needs to learn about Beckett sooner or later. Heaven forbid if VTek gets hurt for the playoffs and Salty has to catch Beckett then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

.....or Lowrie. Ellsbury didn't pull a Meche, last year.

How many GMs or CEOs give their money back after failure?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Harness, I'm not sure if you received my response.  If not, please e-mail me at ampoule@hotmail.com. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE].....or Lowrie. Ellsbury didn't pull a Meche, last year. How many GMs or CEOs give their money back after failure?

I do wish racetracks would adopt this philosophy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This thread keeps arguing about minutiae and ignoring what's going on with the Sox.  Who the heck cares whether Drew was a good deal or a bad deal?  This year he's a liability. 

Meanwhile, I wrote a thread entitled The Danger that talked about the whole team and the danger of having a bad road trip--before the first game.  And so far I'm right. 

Next time one you guys goes out on a limb and proves to be right, let me know.  Of course, I'm not right until the road trip is over, but so far that OP has been prophetic. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Max, the road trip is only two games old! But I do not like the way the offense is looking right now with Papi's big bat out of the middle. I would have had him hit for Scutaro in the eighth tonight instead of leading off the ninth. I know they had a lefty in and I'm sure Hurdle did that precisely with Ortiz in mind. But the time to beat that team is the eighth inning; their closer is nasty!
    Given this start to the trip, and with a lefty strike-out pitcher going for us tomorrow, I think you see the weaker defense/stronger offense line-up with both AGon and Papi playing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

My OP said that, if the Sox go 3-6 on the road trip, they will lose two games in Pittsburgh, three in Philly, and one in Houston.  Yes, the road trip is only two games so far, but predicting losing two to Pittsburgh is right on target--providing, of course, the Pirates don't sweep the Sox. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Max, I just went and read your whole "Danger" thread and as you pointed out yourself, you did make some very good points. Wink Playing Both Agon and Papi tomorrow may seem like panic on Tito's part, but I would not be surprised to see it. Philly is a much smaller ballpark and we'll be more able to hide a weak defender there, and we'll need more punch in the line-up against even better pitching. Another point that many may have missed about this trip is that these are NOT the old Pirates of the last 20 years. They may not be a great offensive team but that is a fine young pitching staff with an excellent bull-pen. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]My OP said that, if the Sox go 6-3 on the road trip, they will lose two games in Pittsburgh, three in Philly, and one in Houston.  Yes, the road trip is only two games so far, but predicting losing two to Pittsburgh is right on target--providing, of course, the Pirates don't sweep the Sox. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Better check UR math, Max. I think you mean a 3-6 road trip.
    This thread isn't about short term projections.
    We'll leave that to you soothsayers.

It's about a long-term realistic view. And the issues presently confronting the team had been discussed at length on this thread.

If you wanna play the long odds, the Redsox are historically very successful vs. the N.L. teams. Sooner or later, circumstances will reveal a short-term reversal.
    It's not prophetically earth-shattering. And the team has a tendency to come up short rising to expectation, but then surprises against better competition.

Since CRAWBURY has been at half strength, the team is 2-4. And with all the talk about the line-up, all teams lose the majority of the time when giving up 6 runs in a given game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

This tired old thread did not move an inch while moon was on vacation and harness was having technical issues (allegedly).  

Said but true anything that harness participates in goes to muck.  moon you should let softlaw back into this thread so that you have an equal in quality debate, harness is just a rook.  You deserve better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]This tired old thread did not move an inch while moonwas on vacation and harness was having technical issues (allegedly).   Said but true anything that harness participates in goes to muck.  moon you should let softlaw back into this thread so that you have an equal in quality debate, harness is just a rook.  You deserve better.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Now the fragile one comes on here and cries on the shoulder of the one he
    insulted earlier. Way to go little boy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Bump - I see this thread is on its last legs... must be because harness participates on it.

Maybe you guys can try to re-invent it, hey how about A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III ?  That should trick a few lamo's to give it another leg.  

Or maybe how about The Private Group ?  ROFL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Said but true anything that harness participates in goes to muck.  moon you should let softlaw back into this thread so that you have an equal in quality debate, harness is just a rook.  You deserve better.

Burrito, anyone can post on this thread. I have never reported anyone...ever. I was happy when softy vowed never to come to this thread. The thread was doing very well before he broke his promise and continued is deliberate misrepresentation of mine and other's positions and well as spewing hatred and lies, cherry-picking and goalpost moving, and more. If this is what you mean by balance or "quality" you are missing the boat.

I love a good debate, but not when people lie about what my position is, obessively bash the same players over and over, and turn things personal with ad hom attacks. How you can't see what is happening is a wonder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He can't see what is happening because he's "ROFL!"

Tee hee

Ha Ha Ha

LMAO

Idiot's delight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In today's game, I found it interesting that nobody on the board (n/i game thread)
    mentioned how Tito didn't run for Papi once he got on base.
    With the bases juiced and one out, how could  Tito let Papi run from 3rd base???Had that collision ended up in a dislocated shoulder, the entire season would have be at risk. Talk about a brain lapse. Papi had no possible function once he got on base. Was he gonna stay in the game and play the field?
    Really dumb.

Once this SR gets healthy, it'll take some pressure off the hitters.
    Lowrie/Navarro can't replace Scutaro soon enough. What ever happened to the OBP he had with Toronto?