A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

Well Boom, it's time to fish or cut bait.  Today we'll find out who we get from Cubs.  Soon we'll know about Paps and Papi.  Managerial interviews have begun.  Great, ain't it? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Will Ben's Bo's really sign Chris Caouano and Roy Oswalt as well as Papi and Papelbon, letting Eric 'my arm's still attached' Bedard walk.  Will grady (sizemore) not little be the next jd drool? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I love this time of year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yes, Mauer going to the Yankees and your chance to finally get your coveted Adam Dunn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]Well Boom, it's time to fish or cut bait.  Today we'll find out who we get from Cubs.  Soon we'll know about Paps and Papi.  Managerial interviews have begun.  Great, ain't it? 
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]
    It's like ice fishing for 20 inch land locked salmon with a case of beer and a heater no less!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, and Mauer signing for $17M, Kotchman over Beltre, Lowell platooning with Papi, signing Ben Sheets, and lying about your AGon positions must be fun for you.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think the score is like this Moon

Softy: 1

Moon: 25

Softy Distortions and Lies: 50

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and Mauer signing for $17M, Kotchman over Beltre, Lowell platooning with Papi, signing Ben Sheets, and lying about your AGon positions must be fun for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well, it's been a slow day around a cold stove.  Even Softy is pawing with his jab, nothing hard and quick. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Kotchman over Beltre (False, as Boomer can attest), Lowell platooning with Papi (False, wanted Lowell off 2010 roster), signing Ben Sheets (minor league contract, along with major league 1M contract for Bedard), and lying about your AGon positions must be fun for you (False, I broke Agon as a guaranteed last winter trade and at least 50% to Red Sox because of extension. I was correct).

Moonslob 0  Wally 1000

Nothing realistic about coveting Adam Dunn as a massive contract starter or 80 plus million for Lackey.

So, Moonslob, I've provided detailed on contract offers on entire roster for 2012. Since you are constantly chasing fools gold starting pitcher FA, give your realistic, now, realistic details on contract offers or trades for your entire pitching staff on 25 man opening day roster. I know Timmy T-Ball is getting a roster spot and millions from you, but provide your 2 or 3 readers with your list of the rest of your starting staff and cost for 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Kotchman over Beltre (False, as Boomer can attest), Lowell platooning with Papi (False, wanted Lowell off 2010 roster), signing Ben Sheets (minor league contract, along with major league 1M contract for Bedard), and lying about your AGon positions must be fun for you (False, I broke Agon as a guaranteed last winter trade and at least 50% to Red Sox because of extension. I was correct). Moonslob 0  Wally 1000 Nothing realistic about coveting Adam Dunn as a massive contract starter or 80 plus million for Lackey. So, Moonslob, I've provided detailed on contract offers on entire roster for 2012. Since you are constantly chasing fools gold starting pitcher FA, give your realistic, now, realistic details on contract offers or trades for your entire pitching staff on 25 man opening day roster. I know Timmy T-Ball is getting a roster spot and millions from you, but provide your 2 or 3 readers with your list of the rest of your starting staff and cost for 2012.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

I gave you one Softy. i wouldn't push it much further.

One thing every regular here knows for sure. Moon is a man of honor. He doesn't lie or even stretch the truth. If he is wrong he admits it. 

Now Softy.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If anyone thinks we probably will pass on Darvish, they should read this article:

It's going to be a battle of titans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No man of honor calls Jeter one of the worst field SS in MLB history. Animus comes to mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

czap

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, Moonslob, I've provided detailed on contract offers on entire roster for 2012. Since you are constantly chasing fools gold starting pitcher FA, give your realistic, now, realistic details on contract offers or trades for your entire pitching staff on 25 man opening day roster.

I did already. Go fetch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Well, it's been a slow day around a cold stove.  Even Softy is pawing with his jab, nothing hard and quick. 
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Things will heat up soon enoguh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, do you have any managerial favorites yet?  I have to say I'm leaning to Maddux at this point though honestly I know nothing about him--or any of the others actually--other that what I've read or seen.  I like what Texas has achieved in pitching the last two years and I liked what I saw when he went out to the mound in the WS, like he was in charge but he knew how to talk to them.  We need to max out our pitching investments.  But pitching coaches aren't hired as a rule, he hasn't managed at the major league level...

Maddon's #2 in Tampa appeals to me first because I just like the way he looks--like a real jock, but that's probably a terrible reason.  I like that he's worked with Maddon who seems to get the most from his guys.  I don't like that he hasn't magaged at the major league level yet or what this might mean in a bigger, more challenging market like Boston.

OK, I don't think Valentine will get hired but I do think he would tighten up what needs to be tightened up, run some no nonsense ST, insist on fundamentals like hitting cut-off men and moving runners along, and make decisive decisions.  I know some here believe the ONLY problem this year was pitching, but I believe 5% to 10% was "other stuff" that affected the whole atmosphere, and fixing this would actually help the pitching too.  But he can be a feisty, arrogant little rooster and he definitely irritates me when he's analyzing sometimes--but I think he's usually right.  Will he rub veterans the wrong way?

I'm not sure any of these guys are numbers geeks, not saying this in a negative way, so I don't know how they would be viewed by RS management.  Anyone here got a favorite?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Since Moonslob said that Epstein and Tito were not going anywhere despite historic collapse in September, he may need some more time to look over his realistic notes. A trade for Adam Dunn is a first priorty. Since the Dodgers would not trade Kemp and 1 year of arbitration for 2 years of Ellsbury arbitration and one or two top prospects, expect Dunn to be acquired for LF. Dunn is very gifted and a great value on a long term contract.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I never liked Sveum when he was the 3rd base coach, but just the picture of him today looks like he's a no-nonsense guy.  No nonense is the kind of manager we need. Who knows? looks are deceiving. 

2011 reminded me of the of Tom Yawkey, Pinky Higgins days.  I don't know, but I wouldn't think LaRussa or Leyland would be playing cribbage with the players.  No knock on Francona, but I think he was way too buddy-buddy with the Vets....like Moon alluded to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I hope it is a tough guy who does not mind telling the front office not to offer FA contracts to old veterans who don't deserve it. One who does not mind sitting a young prima donna who refuses to leap for balls near the wall.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't know enough about these guys to make an informed decision. I wanted Leyland, but found out he was extended.

LaRussa would be nice, but he's retired.

I hope it's a tough guy who doesn't mind sitting a vet if he deserves it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]No man of honor calls Jeter one of the worst field SS in MLB history. Animus comes to mind.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

He was trying to put Jeter's fielding reputation into the context of him being a probable 20 year SS. To be someone who lasts in that position that long would normally require him to be a better fielder one would think. Fate had another calling in Jeter's instance. He's handled the media well and become an institution in NY. He has been a clutch player in a major market but the recent numbers have not indicated he is a solid defender for a long time now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In many ways Valentine would appear to be a solid choice to me. The guy is smart and self assured enough to be tough when needed. He can also handle the media. I also like Hershizer as a pitching coach but there is no indication either will be added any time soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In many ways Valentine would appear to be a solid choice to me. The guy is smart and self assured enough to be tough when needed. He can also handle the media. I also like Hershizer as a pitching coach but there is no indication either will be added any time soon.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I hope it's not Valentin.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I hope it's not Valentin.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I don't like him much either Moon but the guy has international coaching experience, has handled big markets before, looks to be pretty tough and is to me very intelligent for a manager. And look at the other options! We need a guy who is part disciplinarian. Kind of a Buck Showalter, but this time with Brains. 

I honestly do not know much about him. I know he managed the Mets for a while. I think he showed a lot of insight with his comments when Matsuzaka came over. He has impressed me several times with his insight on TV. I hate Girardi but he appears to have done a good job overall with the Yankees so far. That type of manager eventually wears thin and implodes IMO but sometimes that type of manager is needed.