A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Jerrjensssssss ... mmmmmmm [/Homer Simpson voice/]
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I just saw that this thread had an even 2000 posts. I was curious to see what the "2000th" post said. How funny is that? LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to hear that name more often around Boston...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cubs want 3 "A-list" prospects for Garza? 

Looks like that option is gone.

I'd give Middlebrooks, Anderson and one of our pitchers out of options: Bowden or Atchison (and call the Theo comp settled).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When you look at what these free agent starting pitchers got for contracts, we may not sign any other starters else this year:
    Bedard    $4.5/1
    Capuano $10m/2
    B Chen    $9M/2
    Garcia      $4M/1
    Harang    $12M/2
    Marquis   $3M/1
    T. Wada   $8.2M/2
    C-M Wang $4M/1
    Willis         $1M/1

Here's what's left:
    Wei-Yin Chen
    B Colon
    A Cook
    K Davies
    D Davis
    Z Duke
    J Francis
    Galarraga
    J Garland
    R Harden
    C Hensley
    L Hernandez
    H Iwakuma
    E Jackson
    S Kazmir
    H Kuroda
    R Lopez
    P Maholm
    Millwood
    S Mitre
    Olendorf
    R Oswalt
    B Penny
    J Pineiro
    J Saunders
    J Vazquez
    Wakefield
    B Webb
    C Young

Look at Jason Marquis. He turns 34 in August. He put up these numbers in the NL the last 6 years:
    8-6      4.43  1.492
    2-9      6.60  1.705
    15-13 4.04  1.380
    11-9   4.53  1.449
    12-9   4.60  1.388
    14-16 6.02  1.523

$3M for this? 
    190 IP as a starter the past 2 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, this might be a goofy question but do you like jigsaw puzzles as in the kind that come in 500 pieces in a box?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol, try 5000 piecesLaughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, I like doing jigsaw puzzles and am pretty good at them. It's a relaxing thing to do on a rainy (snowy) Maine day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Maybe Theo was on the right track when devoting effort to scouting, drafting, signing and development prospects in the organization. The Red Sox have something to show for that approach.  I think Ben Cherington subscibes to that approach, reflected him being guarded about signing FAs. Not saying there is not a place for acquiring players by trade and FA signings, but so long as it is not the principal way, it is sound. Not sure how many young players in the organization are likely to make contribution over the next 5 seasons or so, but if we look at the 2004 and 2007 Championship teams, it is clear turnover is pretty common. If not mistaken, only Wakefield, Varitek and David Ortiz were on the 2004 team and 2 of them may not be on the 2012 team.  Think Ben Cherington is on the right track with this, I for one, am glad he has not gone wild signing FA pitchers, acquiring Mark Melancon, Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney by trade seeming much more of a sound approach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We've had 5 different WS winners in 5 years and 9 in the last 11. I'm not sure any single team's strategies should be mimicked. Change is good, but are we really that sure that Shoppach will lead the team to a better record than Vtek did (42-22) or our 2012 6/7 starters will do better than Wake/Bedard did in 2011?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade Jenks to the Cubs and call the Theo comp deal settled. 
    (Save $6M)

Trade Scutaro, Youkilis, Oscar Tejada, and Atchison (out of options) to the Mets for David Wright: 12:$15M, 13:$16M club option ($1M buyout)  
    (Save ~$3M in '12) --Mets save $3M in 2013.

Trade DMac, Middlebrooks, Anderson, and Bowden (out of options) for Gavin Floyd (12:$7M, 13:$9.5M club option)
    (Add $7M)

Overall we save about $2M, giving us about $7-9M to spend and still stay below the tax limit.  Sign Cody Ross ($7M/2) and Maholm ($9M/2).

The 2012 Boston Red Sox 25 man OpeningDay Roster

SP1 Beckett
    SP2 Lester
    SP3 Buch
    SP4 Floyd
    SP5 Maholm (Bard or Aceves)/Dice-K in July/Aug
    SP6 Doubront (out of options)

RP1 Bailey
    RP2 Bard
    RP3 Aceves
    RP4 Melancon
    RP5 Morales (out of options)
    RP6 Albers (out of options)

C  Salty
    C  Shoppach

1B AGon
    DH/1B Papi

2B Pedroia

SS Iglesias
    IF/OF Aviles

3B Wright
    IF  Punto

LF Crawford

CF Ellsbury

RF Ross
    OF Sweeney

Waiting in the wings (maybe MLB ready):
    P: Miller, Silva, Tazawa, Wilson, Duckworth, Hill, Pena, Haeger, Barnes
    C/DH/1B/OF: Lavanway
    OF: Kalish, Linares, Jacobs, Hassan, Lin, Brentz, (DH)Nava
    2B: Coyle
    C: Exposito
    3B: Cecchini

Line-ups:

vs RHPs         vs LHPs
    1) Ells                  Ells
    2) Pedey              Pedey
    3) AGon               AGon
    4) Papi                 Wright
    5) Wright             Papi
    6) Craw                Ross (RF)
    7) Sweeny/Ross  Shopp/(Lava)
    8) Salty                 Aviles (LF or SS)
    9) Iggy/Aviles      Iggy (SS) or Craw (LF)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Scutaro, Youkilis, Oscar Tejada, and Atchison (out of options) to the Mets for David Wright:  12 :$15M,  13 :$16M club option ($1M buyout)   (Save ~$3M in '12) --Mets save $3M in 2013.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I can't imagine the Mets would trade their 29-year-old best player for a corner infielder who turns 33 in March, a 36-year-old infielder, a reliever who turns 36 in March and a 22-year-old infielder who posted a .249 batting average and a .297 on-base percentage last season in Double A.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I can't imagine the Mets would trade their 29-year-old best player for a corner infielder who turns 33 in March, a 36-year-old infielder, a reliever who turns 36 in March and a 22-year-old infielder who posted a .249 batting average and a .297 on-base percentage last season in Double A.
    Posted by hill55

Fair enough hill....how's this...

Trade Jenks to the Cubs and call the Theo comp deal settled. 
    (Save $6M)

Trade Scutaro to the Braves or tigers for a prospect.

Tarde the prospect from Scutaro, Youkilis (plus $2M), Oscar Tejada, Ranaudo, and Bowden (out of options) to the Mets for David Wright: 12:$15M, 13:$16M club option ($1M buyout)  
    (Save $1M in '12) --Mets save $3M in 2013.

Trade DMac, Middlebrooks, Anderson, and Atchison (out of options) for Gavin Floyd (12:$7M, 13:$9.5M club option)
    (Add $7M)

Overall we save break even on money, leaving us with $5-7M to spend and still stay below the tax limit.  Sign Cody Ross ($7M/2) and Maholm ($7M/2).

The 2012 Boston Red Sox 25 man OpeningDay Roster

SP1 Beckett
    SP2 Lester
    SP3 Buch
    SP4 Floyd
    SP5 Maholm (Bard or Aceves)/Dice-K in July/Aug
    SP6 Doubront (out of options)

RP1 Bailey
    RP2 Bard
    RP3 Aceves
    RP4 Melancon
    RP5 Morales (out of options)
    RP6 Albers (out of options)

C  Salty
    C  Shoppach

1B AGon
    DH/1B Papi

2B Pedroia

SS Iglesias
    IF/OF Aviles

3B Wright
    IF  Punto

LF Crawford

CF Ellsbury

RF Ross
    OF Sweeney

Waiting in the wings (maybe MLB ready):
    P: Miller, Silva, Tazawa, Wilson, Duckworth, Hill, Pena, Haeger, Barnes
    C/DH/1B/OF: Lavanway
    OF: Kalish, Linares, Jacobs, Hassan, Lin, Brentz, (DH)Nava
    2B: Coyle
    C: Exposito
    3B: Cecchini

Line-ups:

vs RHPs         vs LHPs
    1) Ells                  Ells
    2) Pedey              Pedey
    3) AGon               AGon
    4) Papi                 Wright
    5) Wright             Papi
    6) Craw                Ross (RF)
    7) Sweeny/Ross  Shopp/(Lava)
    8) Salty                 Aviles (LF or SS)
    9) Iggy/Aviles      Iggy (SS) or Craw (LF)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I'm just going to come out and say it Moon. How could you include Kim in your poster of the year post? What were you thinking? And my projections last year were tremendous. The Rays in it until the end. Ellsbury to have a monster year. Reddick would beat out Kalish for RF....etc...etc...etc. The weakest part of the team would be at catcher. Not even on the list. And what an illustrious list it was.

It's just WTFB with this forum. Even guys who should know better make decisions like that. Even the guys who should know the scoop sometimes don't have a clue.

To me, this isn't about rubbing some clown's tummy to be my friend. I'm busy and online a lot. I don't have a lot of time for firendships. This forum served a purpose for me but I feel like I'm wallowing in a sea of shallowness here and even those few people who seemed to make it real make decisions like that.

i truly don't care what people here think when they read this post. I know how it will be interpreted. I know that I've tried to treat people with respect here but I did respond to idiocy and hypocricy with full intensity. I don't regret it from an integrity viewpoint but it has been a meaningless, colossal waste of time for me and I don't have a lot more time to waste. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just going to come out and say it Moon. How could you include Kim in your poster of the year post? What were you thinking? And my projections last year were tremendous. The Rays in it until the end. Ellsbury to have a monster year. Reddick would beat out Kalish for RF....etc...etc...etc. The weakest part of the team would be at catcher. Not even on the list. And what an illustrious list it was. It's just WTFB with this forum. Even guys who should know better make decisions like that. Even the guys who should know the scoop sometimes don't have a clue. To me, this isn't about rubbing some clown's tummy to be my friend. I'm busy and online a lot. I don't have a lot of time for firendships. This forum served a purpose for me but I feel like I'm wallowing in a sea of shallowness here and even those few people who seemed to make it real make decisions like that. i truly don't care what people here think when they read this post. I know how it will be interpreted. I know that I've tried to treat people with respect here but I did respond to idiocy and hypocricy with full intensity. I don't regret it from an integrity viewpoint but it has been a meaningless, colossal waste of time for me and I don't have a lot more time to waste. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I am not going to speculate about Moon's choices, Boom...Maybe Softy (also on the list) and Kim have managed to intimidate or unnerve him enough that he thought it might be best to send them love and light, along with a payoff nomination...Jessey, after all, actually voted for Kim, and went on about it in a specific post.....Somehow she has managed to beat down a little group of scared, loyal followers, and I suppose that is sad....Moon and jessey are both good guys, so I can understand why you are upset...Honestly, I would be upset too, if I were you...I am blessed by God to have a supportive social network of (mostly) male friends through my activist work with the Green Party....Yankee, NY Giants fans, and yes, a diehard Bosox-Pats fan among the bunch....But when it comes to internet chat rooms, you often never know what you are getting...That is why solid friendships in the mundane world tend to trump the online ones...BTW, I love your posts, and enjoy reading them, even though I am a Yankee fan...You are a class act, through and though....

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hear you boom. Some appreciate your insights. I hope you stick around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought Reddick was given the job in RF because Drew was injured and Kalish was injured?  I also did not know boom was the only one to predict (project according to the self-ordained brainiacs here) that Tampa would have a good year. And WOW but "projecting" that catcher would be the lamo position was really something bold I'd say.  I believe we also ran a thread on Elles exactly a year ago saying 2011 would be the year for Elles to show his true abilities.

Boomerangsdotcom you really sound arrogant in your post, and yes that is what I think even though you "truly don't care" what people think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I "projected"...

Our offense would be as good or better than 2010, despite losing Beltre and VMart. (Healthy Ells & Pedey plus AGon > Beltre/VMart)

AGon would be traded in the winter (ticket sales argument was a farce, because SD fans knew he'd be dealt anyways). I named a package of Kelley, Rizzo and Bowden (softy said a winter deal was " 50-50" and named Jake & Jed and thencontinued to claim he was right and I was wrong because the SD could have asked and gotted jake and Jed.)

AGon would sign in April to about $22M/yr x 6 or 7 years. (Softy claimed he'd never sign until he became a FA, there was no "wink-wink deal in place", and if he'd extend, it would be for $17-18M/yr.)

TB would not go away. (I predicted 90-92 wins and a lower win total needed to make the playoffs in 2011 of about 92-93 wins.)

6/7th starter Wake would do better than most MLB 5th starters.

VTek would have a higher winning % and lower CERA than Salty (even without Beckett's caddy games included.) I offerend 5:1 odds, but no takers.

Getting AGon was a good move, but would increase Youk's chance of missing time with injuries. (softy claimed 1B was a harder position.)

The return of Ellsbury to health would be enough to turn around the OF production and signing another high cost OF'er was not needed.

The Crawford signing was a" $50+M" overpay and "would cripple us for 7 years".

Crawford was nothing more than a "glorified platoon player" who should be benched vs LHPs and maybe hit 6th to 9th vs RHPs (2nd at best).

That Scutaro would hit somewhere between his 2009 Toronto season and his career average. (2010-2011 combined)

That our left-side defense would be awful, and that playing Iggy made more sense.

The big 3 starters would not all stay healthy and/or pitch to their best form.

Andrew Miller would repeat what he has already done in the bigs here in Boston.

If we stayed healthy, we'd win 100 games.

We needed to pick-up 2 starters at the dealine not just one (Bedard), and that Wake should have been given a rest after 15 starts or he'd decline.

Weiland was not ready for MLB.

Reddick would "cool off" after his hot start.

Theo would be on the "hot seat" if we didn't make the playoffs.

My bads:

Papi would continue to struggle vs LHPs, and should platoon if we have a better option (vs most LHPs-not all).

That if Salty and VTek platooned L/R, their combined OPS would be within 50 points of 2010's catcher OPS (.793 to .737--56 point drop-off)

The Jenks and Wheeler signings would be helpful, even at a "too high cost".

AGon would hit 40+ HRs.

Our pitching staff would do better than 2010.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Should have added that the Sox were so impressed by Reddicks perofrmance during the time he was given the opportunity that they shipped him out a few weeks ago and now peg Kalish to end up there when healthy - big projection not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The point Moon was top poster options:

Kimsaysthis?

Burrito?

What were you thinking?

Did you think at all or just take the last 5 posts you saw and throw them on the screen?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Burrito is the biggest suckup on the forum and kimsaysthis is an obvious troll.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

And Burrito, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Kalish to be annointed RF ok. 

I "projected" lots of things last winter which I don't feel compelled to list ad infinitum. One was "Kalish is an injury waiting to happen".

The point being that yes I had a great year in 2011, and many others did as well and you ( Moon ) pick guys like Kim ( who sure acts like a guy to me ) and Burrito over lots of great posters including me. Yes, I'll say it. There are tons of great posters here and your selection was a couple great posters with the rest of them cannon fodder.

Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I've just wasted another 5 minutes of time. Oh well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Did you stop to think moon is not a dip like you and thought that it takes all kinds to make a forum? Maybe he was not asking who was the best baseball poster as much as the best all around, or the best at their niche, the funniest, the most respectful, or whatever.

As I am bigger than you I asked twice to be removed from the list as I don't post like I used to (pre-2010) and certainly don't feel I should be in "it". moon also only put up names of people that are here most days, and he asked for write-ins. 

If the Thread was: Poster of The year 2011 - best whiny cry baby who throws tantrums when he is called out Award, then by all means you would be there. You'd have my vote.

BTW: I project that the Red Sox will win at least 93 games in 2012, just pure genius on my part.