A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

I have never seen Papi look bad at first or make errors--there is always lamenting when we know he has to play there, but he is always more than adequate.  The other night when that kid stole 2nd, he seemed to catch the ball on the wrong side of his body and try to swing around--I can't explain it, but the commentators mentioned it too.  Could have been the pitchers' fault.  Next night, Naps catches the ball right by the bag and BOOM, the kid's out.  I do agree with Moon though; we need to get a power hitter who doesn't play first to cover ourselves.  If Ells goes, a power hitter in right?  I do like the way two center fielders have worked in our defense.  This is post WS discussion.  I feel comfortable with Ross in there right now.  I'd be good with Nava in left.  I think Wed.  should be "all hands on deck" for EVERY situation.  If Gomes starts and the bases are loaded and he's 0-3, put in Nava.  If Nava, gets a double and we need an extra run, put in our designated runner to get another run on a hit.  Etc.  PS.  My guy has decided he can't leave for the game so my hopes at being there are gone but I will have a blast watching it anyway.  I want these guys to win so badly for themselves--I think they really deserve it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't it time for Gomes to sit the heck down? My God, do we have to roll him out there forever? He's hit 1 HR in his entire post season history and done little else well, in spacious St. Louis RF where we have been lucky to have not been burned defensively yet. Can't we play Victorino in RF and Nava in LF and go with the numbers? Nava has had good AB as compared to Gomes. I'd much rather have Nava in the 5 slot as compared to Gomes. 

I did some analysis of where we might spend our money next winter and to be honest who the heck knows? McCann? Ellsbury? Choo? If I had to pick one I think it would be Choo. the guy gets on base better than anyone available and he's a decent defender with some pop. And is young. Which player helps our team most next year? I think it might be Choo.

Is it just me or does Ortiz look like a better fielder than Fielder? The guy could probably be a serviceable 1st baseman for us next year if we wanted. They probably just don't want him to get hurt or they would put him there potentially, which would open up the DH slot for a reserve OF, or someone else. Not saying it could happen because it won't but he is decent injury backup at 1st and we should probably look at him that way next year.

[/QUOTE]

I like Choo too, but I'm not sure we will want to lose a draft pick to get him, despite the fact that we may gain 2-4 draft picks by losing Ellsbury, Napoli, Salty and/or Drew.

I think Choo will cost less than Ellsbury, and although we lose speed, we gain OBP at the top of the line-up. The "saved money" could be applied towards keeping Napoli and Salty or Drew.

I still think we need to get a #5 hitter who does not play only 1B. These games in NL parks expose the reason why. Sitting Napoli or Papi really kills our line-up. It was nice having Youk at 1B, who could slide over to 3B to allow Papi to play without losing Youk's bat.

I do think Papi is a better fielder than Prince, but it scares me to play him there and risk injury.

I still think Ellsbury walks (+1 draft pick and a boatload of money to spend elsewhere).

I still think we bring back only one of Napoli or Drew, and my guess is Napoli. That gives the SS job to Bogey and the 3Bman job to Middy. We may sign a defensive SS/3Bman as our supersub.

Without Ellsbury, we can afford Napoli and Drew, and notin's suggestion that we may do that and then trade Middlebrooks for a catcher might make some sense.

Now, I think Salty is gone. If we are benching him during the WS, then I can't see us paying him big money longterm. I'd like to see him back, but with Ross, Lava, Vazquez, Butler, Swihart and Denny in the system, a longterm deal seems out of the question. We may offer a 1 year QOto gain a draft pick or gain a bridge catcher to 2014.

Then, I'd try hard to land Mujica to shore up the pen. I'd look to trade Bailey and Dempster to free up room for some kids and salary space for another splash somewhere.

If we come up to the luxury tax limit, we can try and restructure lackey's deal to spread out the cap hit between the two years and not just 2014.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have never seen Papi look bad at first or make errors--there is always lamenting when we know he has to play there, but he is always more than adequate.  The other night when that kid stole 2nd, he seemed to catch the ball on the wrong side of his body and try to swing around--I can't explain it, but the commentators mentioned it too.  Could have been the pitchers' fault.  Next night, Naps catches the ball right by the bag and BOOM, the kid's out.  I do agree with Moon though; we need to get a power hitter who doesn't play first to cover ourselves.  If Ells goes, a power hitter in right?  I do like the way two center fielders have worked in our defense.  This is post WS discussion.  I feel comfortable with Ross in there right now.  I'd be good with Nava in left.  I think Wed.  should be "all hands on deck" for EVERY situation.  If Gomes starts and the bases are loaded and he's 0-3, put in Nava.  If Nava, gets a double and we need an extra run, put in our designated runner to get another run on a hit.  Etc.  PS.  My guy has decided he can't leave for the game so my hopes at being there are gone but I will have a blast watching it anyway.  I want these guys to win so badly for themselves--I think they really deserve it. 

[/QUOTE]

Good post.

I like Nava better as our starting LF'er. He has better numbers vs RHPs, is a better fielder, and Gomes is one of the best PH'ers in MLB.

Best of both worlds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

He's still going to start Gomes tomorrow even though it makes much more sense to start Nava against the righty and have Gomes off the bench where, as Moon just said, he excels as a pinch hitter.  Farrell just wants that guy in there, despite the illogic. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's still going to start Gomes tomorrow even though it makes much more sense to start Nava against the righty and have Gomes off the bench where, as Moon just said, he excels as a pinch hitter.  Farrell just wants that guy in there, despite the illogic. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd start Nava, but John has had the magic touch, so what can we say?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The whole Gomes in against RH pitching over Nava is ridiculous at this point. Gomes is now a career .130 hitter in the post season after 50 post season AB and Farrell is playing him time after time against RH pithing over Nava. Farrell keeps saying he can count on Gomes for a quality AB but have you guys seen a lot of quality AB from Gomes recently? That is a joke. 50 AB now. A .130 average.

Play Nava for God's sake. We want to win!

Choo's hit chart looks a little interesting. He's probably a better offensive player than Ellsbury with a WRC+ of 151 last year compared to Ellsbury's 113. His hit chart is a little like Big Papi's:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/shin-soo-choo/hitchart/288287?q=shin-soo-choo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We have JBJ who can play CF or Victorino. Even Choo can play CF. Choo is not as good defensively but at the right price maybe he helps this team more. Just a thought. I haven't studied it but my initial inclination is that approach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nava has had 28 plate appearances this postseason and is hitting 200/286/240, with just one extra-base hit.  Like many of our hitters he has been virtually hapless this postseason.  With Gomes you have a bigger chance for the long ball, as he showed in Game 4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

That much is true about Gomes, he'll do nothing for what seems like forever, and then hit one out at the best possible time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The whole Gomes in against RH pitching over Nava is ridiculous at this point. Gomes is now a career .130 hitter in the post season after 50 post season AB and Farrell is playing him time after time against RH pithing over Nava. Farrell keeps saying he can count on Gomes for a quality AB but have you guys seen a lot of quality AB from Gomes recently? That is a joke. 50 AB now. A .130 average.

Play Nava for God's sake. We want to win!

Choo's hit chart looks a little interesting. He's probably a better offensive player than Ellsbury with a WRC+ of 151 last year compared to Ellsbury's 113. His hit chart is a little like Big Papi's:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/shin-soo-choo/hitchart/288287?q=shin-soo-choo

[/QUOTE]

One big problem with Choo, and it's really huge, is his lefty-righty splits:

Career:

vs RHPs: .309/.411/.521/.932

vs LHPs: .243/.340/.341/.680

His .340 OBP is not bad, so keeping him at leadoff would not hurt that much vs lefties.

He was even worse in 2013:

vs RHPs: .317/.457/.544/1.011

vs LHPs: .215/.347/.265/.612

That .457 OBP is off the charts great! It looks like he has no power vs lefties, but still gets walked enough to be a decent leadoff hitter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nava has had 28 plate appearances this postseason and is hitting 200/286/240, with just one extra-base hit.  Like many of our hitters he has been virtually hapless this postseason.  With Gomes you have a bigger chance for the long ball, as he showed in Game 4.

[/QUOTE]

Nava still has a much better OBP than Gomes this postseason: .286 to .233.

He's a better fielder, although Fenway's LF negates some of that disparity.

Gomes can be that energetic cheerleader form the dugout, and come in a PH'er when needed most.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papi up 3rd tonight: the way it always should have been.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd start Nava, but John has had the magic touch, so what can we say?

[/QUOTE]

I would start Nava also, better contact and OB. Way too many K's from RS hitters this WS, thats why Ross has taken over at C. Cards will not pitch to Papi, going to need a big hit from others. Saw some good signs from Drew and Ells in game 5, but someone else will need to get the big hit. Hopefully top of the order gets on base preventing Cards from walking Papi or if they do walk him 3-4 times someone at bottom of order can make them pay.

If there is a game 7 anyone as worried as me about starting Peavy? Think Farrell may want to save Doubront for a game 7 if needed? Right now I have more faith in Doubie than Peavy. Lets win tonight and forget about a game 7!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should treat tonight's game like it's game 7, except save Peavy or Doubront for tomorrow's starter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

World Champions 2013 ! !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

World Champions 2013 ! !

[/QUOTE]

WOW!

i simply cannot put into words how amazed i am with this season. it is truly a magical season, almost like a fairy tale.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

World Champions 2013 ! !

[/QUOTE]

WOW!

i simply cannot put into words how amazed i am with this season. it is truly a magical season, almost like a fairy tale.

[/QUOTE]

It's like a wonderful dream!

Yes, truly magical and amazing.

Props to all the Sox players, managers, coaches and staff!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Perhaps what surprised me the most about our finish to 2013 was that no player really had a shocking season.

Yes, Uehara had the best WHIP ever, but he had 2 really good seasons before 2013.

Papi had a great year, but if you prorate 2012 to 600 PAs, then 2014 was no surprise.

Pedey, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Bailey, Hanrahan, Miller, Morales and Aceves actually  fell below half to most people's expectations (some due to injury).

Salty, Nava, Breslow, Lester, Lackey, Iggy (while here) and Doubront did marginally better than expected, and Buch's injury cut his numbers down. Non were shockingly great.

The winter additions:

Carp was probably the most shocking surprise, but had under 250 PAs.

Gomes did not give us what we expected vs LHPs and his .771 OPS was under most projections, but he did bring a lot of intangibles. Nothing shocking.

Dempster certainly did not bring us more than expected, and on paper was not worth the contract amount.

Drew only played in 124 games and barely got over 500 PAs, His defense shocked me, but not everyone here. Overall, he did not produce much more than expectations.

Napoli broke his record for career PAs in a season by 68. This was a bit shocking after the injury discovery. His career high RBIs was not shocking. His OPS was below his career OPS. Not shocking.

Victorino might have shocked some of us on defense, but he really shouldn't have. He's been a great defensive player for years. His fragility was in question last winter, and that did become an issue this year. He only played in 122 games and missed time in the WS. His .801 OPS was much better than 2012, but was 46 points belwo his 2011 number, so it's hard to say his 2013 season was shockingly good.

Uehara was awesome, but his numbers in 2012 were some of the best of all time as well, and his 2010 season was very very good as well. Shocking? I guess so, but he wasn't even our closer until the end of June!

The season came down to everyone contributing, and nobody except maybe Middlebrooks having a shockingly bad season, though he still hit 17 Hrs and 49 RBIs in just 94 games.

Great coaching, managing, team chemistry, and dogged determination all came together to put us over the top. We had the numbers on paper. This year was not a fluke. We did not win, because other teams made mistakes. We won because we were the best team in MLB. We had the best record in MLB playing in the toughest division in MLB agkainst the toughest schedule of any playoff team. We had the best run differential. We had great home-road splits. Our rotation matched up well with even the best in MLB, and our 1-2 punch of Breslow and Uehara had perhaps the best 2nd half numbers in MLB history. Our middle men held their own, particularly Tazawa and Workman. Our bench carried us at times: Iggy, Carp, Nava, Ross, Bogey and more.

Great team effort from a great team!

Thank you Red Sox!