A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe some of you internet research folks can clarify something for me. If we were to trade a Dempster as a salary dump, but agree to pay half or more of his salary, does the receiving team absorb the entire contract for luxary tax purposes or just the portion they pay, leaving us responsible, for tax purposes, for what we pay?

[/QUOTE]

The part I highlighted is the correct answer.  We are paying about $4 million a year for 3 years on the contracts we traded to the Dodgers, and that counts against us for tax purposes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Maybe some of you internet research folks can clarify something for me. If we were to trade a Dempster as a salary dump, but agree to pay half or more of his salary, does the receiving team absorb the entire contract for luxary tax purposes or just the portion they pay, leaving us responsible, for tax purposes, for what we pay?

[/QUOTE]

The part I highlighted is the correct answer.  We are paying about $4 million a year for 3 years on the contracts we traded to the Dodgers, and that counts against us for tax purposes.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks nut!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo/Victorino/Pedroia .... one of the best 1-3's in MLB. Bye Ellesbury, thanks for everything.

If somehow we could also get a solid 5 hitter and bring Naps back to hit 6th, our offense would be awesome on paper.

1) Choo  RF

2) Vict   CF

3) Pedey 2B

4) Papi  DH

5) Bopper  3B/LF/C

6) Napoli  1B

7) Bogey  SS

8) Nava/Gomes/Middy

9) Middy/Ross/Lava

[/QUOTE]

Agree Moon, 6th is ideal Naps spot.  Didn't realize Big B. Bopper was a FA this year. :)

[/QUOTE]

LOL

It's hard to find the name to fit the mold.

Here are the top OPS guys this year over .850. Not many are on the market.

Miggy

C Davis

Trout

Ortiz

Goldschmidt

Tulo

Werth

Votto

Cuddyer

McCutchen

Encarnacion

R Cano  (Can he play 3B?  LOL)

Freeman

Choo  (better up 1st than 5th)

Donaldson

Mauer (is he available?)

Beltre

Holliday

Carpenter

B Moss (why can't we ever get guys like this?)

Bautista

A Lind

Here's 2012-2013 combined (over .820):

Miggy

Ortiz

Trout

Votto

Braun (hmm)

McCutchen

Encarnacion

C Davis

R Cano

C Gonzo

Stanton

Golds

Beltre

B Moss

Wright

Posey

Werth

Holliday

Fielder

A Ramirez

Cuddyer

Mauer

Bautista

A Hill

Longoria

Y Molina

H Ram

A Craig

Choo

Freeman

C Beltran

Butler

Hamilton

B Harper

Napoli

Lucroy

A Jones

Bruce

Pujols

Donaldson

Fowler

Rosario

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The money paid is charged to whatever team pays.

This reminds me of something: we are paying about $6M to the Dodgers in 2014, $4.5M in 2015, and 900K for the next 3 years each. That comes off our luxury budget. Cots says $3.9M to the Dodgers, but then has bonuses we are paying listed also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kuroda isn't even a remote necessity for this team. Surprised such ideas are being hatched in this hallowed thread of brains.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see us going after Kuroda, but let's make an assumption:

If we sign Kuroda, and we trade something like Doubront, Middy, Brentz, Betts and de la Rosa for Stanton, would we be better in 2014?

[/QUOTE]

Why sign Kuroda? We would still have Workman/Webster/Morales to potentially claim a spot. Save the money and make the Stanton trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kuroda isn't even a remote necessity for this team. Surprised such ideas are being hatched in this hallowed thread of brains.

If we sign Kuroda, and we trade something like Doubront, Middy, Brentz, Betts and de la Rosa for Stanton, would we be better in 2014?

[/QUOTE]

Why sign Kuroda? We would still have Workman/Webster/Morales to potentially claim a spot. Save the money and make the Stanton trade.

[/QUOTE]
    The Marlins keep saying he's not available & I don't see the Sox offering the prospects it would take to get him.  He didn't exactly have a great year and there seems to be some durability issues.  I actually think the Marlins might spend a little this off season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not for the signing, but I offered a scenario where Kuroda replaces a pitcher we have at a probable upgrade, and the pitcher we trade helps us get Stanton.

Workman, Webster and Morales are not projected upgrades over Peavy. Kuroda is. getting Kuroda allows us to trade a pitcher instead of some of the prospects you like.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    The Marlins keep saying he's not available & I don't see the Sox offering the prospects it would take to get him.  He didn't exactly have a great year and there seems to be some durability issues.  I actually think the Marlins might spend a little this off season. 

[/QUOTE]

I just used Stanton as an example.

The philosophy goes like this:

Not many teams can afford to spend huge on pitching: we can.

We sign Kuroda.

Many teams desperately need pitching.

The teams that need pitching but have no money to spend big would overpay for Doubront and other young players with low contracts.

Since there are not many big bats available on the FA market this year, getting creative may be the best way to get the bat we need while also upgrading one rotation slot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid and Amp, nice to see you back!  

I'm realizing I don't really know what QO means--we can negotiate whatever with the player, but if another team takes him for that offer, it gives up a draft  pick?

Without going over his  whole history here, I don't think Ells has ever been completely comfortable here and will never be.  The intensity, the madness, the vitriol--I just don't think some guys get it--and absolutely not faulting or blaming.  Gomes or Naps can be released into the madness, not Ells.  My new friend talks all the time about the screaming Giants fans with eight kinds of Sushi etc. etc. but half of them know nada about baseball.  The point is I think Ells is just going to be happier someplace where 33,000 screaming fans don't think that "he" its an extension of "them."  From what I read he was the first guy to leave and clean out his locker after telling the writers he'd come out and talk with them--and he didn't.  This doesn't make him bad in my eyes, he's been great.  I think he's 100% gone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem. Maybe they anticipated that need. I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is towin in the playoffs. 

Realistically ( getting with Moon's program here ) Doubront would be the likely trade candidate if we signed Kuroda. Most teams don't spend the kind of cash Boston does for starters like Dempster. As long as we get a lot of value back for him I'm ok with that and you know what, I think we might be selling high on him even though he is trending up. I like the guy though and am not anxious to trade him. It may well be that by spring training next year we will need all of them.

We probably could get something for Peavy. He may well be worth a pick at the end of his contract but do we want to take a chance on that? Maybe not. Kuroda would slot right in with our starting rotation and make it one of the best in the world. And it would be good for our Asian marketing also.

Did you guys hear how much the bidding fee might go for for Tanaka. Rumors it could be as high as 70 mil just for the opportunity to negotiate with him. Wow!

The Sox were willing to go as high as 20+ million on a one or two year deal last off-season for Kuroda, but they were still a essentially a distant 4th behind the Yankees, Dodgers & going back home.  A lot has obviously changed since last off season, so maybe he would consider Boston this winter, but with Kuroda, it's not about the money at this point.

[/QUOTE]

This is what you said. You have ZERO evidence that the Redsox offered $5 mil more than the Yankees. ZERO, The BIG O. Nada. No link at all which said $20 mil last year, this year or any other year.

I didn't say it. YOU DID. WTFU before you criticize others.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

[QUOTE]

Lester stays.

Doubront missed the arb cutoff by a hair.

For the first time in ages, I am not calling for a rotation upgrade.

Top priority:

A Papi protector and eventual replacement.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I know the starting rotation is a strength but there is one thing I do absolutely agree with Moon on and that is starting pitching upgrades. If it means we end up with a surplus just trade the excess guy. Workman, Webster, Ranaudo...etc are solid starter depth but I'm always open to an upgrade. If we spend half our available financial resources on starting pitching I'm ok with that as long as it puts us in the top 3 of the league in that department. It is the key to winning it all. Just ask SF. Tampa Bay. St. Louis...etc.

I notice that Gavin floyd is now a FA with no QO. He's decent depth but I don't see it as an upgrade right now. Do we take a flyer on Johan Santana, given that he lives in Fort Myers and probably would like joining the Redsox for less money than other teams. I think that is a definite possibility.

The Yanks and others will be all over Erving Santana as well as Kuroda but we should make them at least work for it. they have huge needs this off season and probably will end up limited in some areas for once. We need to make them pay for guys like Kuroda.

[/QUOTE]

Although you didn't believe that Kuroda took less money to stay in NY last year for some strange reason, I seriously doubt the Sox would offer the same deal they had on the table last year for him at this point.  The circumstances have clearly changed since last year and even if Kuroda doesn't decide to go back home (probably about 50% at this point), why would the Sox overspend on a starting pitcher given the rotation depth they have right now?

Even if the Front Office DID think such a thing was a good idea (Highly doubtful in my opinion), why would Kuroda, who doesn't need the money, all of a sudden decide to go to Boston?  Do a little homework on this guy and you'll quickly realize your chasing a pipe dream.

[/QUOTE]

I said I didn't think he turned down $ FREAKING MILLION MORE TO STAY WITH THE YANKS.

If it wasn't about the money the guy would be in Japan right now, pitching for the Yomuiri Giants or Yakult Swallows or wherever.

$5 mil is a lot of money. I don't believe the Redsox offered him $5 mil more. No, I don't. 

[/QUOTE]

I could really care less what you do and don't believe, I was just trying to point out some facts when you initially posted that you thought the Sox should have pursued Kuroda, when you clearly had no clue as to whether they did or not.  Again, read up on the guy a little, so you can post with some intelligence, and not clutter up the board with "Sign Kuroda" posts.  

By the way, you basically called me a liar, so I challenge you to go through my nearly 3000 posts and find one where I used "made up" information.  Also, just because YOU didn't see it or read about it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and maybe, just maybe, some people who participate in sports forums, have more access to information than others... 

[/QUOTE]

I just clarified the FACTS and showed where you MADE UP information. You have no evidence that the Redsox offered an extra $5 mil more than Kuroda's 2013 salary of $15 mil. 

I have no bones with you jasko. I'm sure you just made a mistake and didn't intend to lie. No big deal. I've made mistakes also. It's not like this is a job. It's not worth researching these things to death. I don't have hours and hours to give this site.

For the record, I'm pretty sure that the Sox will not make a major play for Kuroda or any other of the elite starting pitchers. I see that it is not an area of glaring need. I just see it as one of our best opportunities to improve the team given the overall market conditions this year.

In my opinion, Kuroda is a stud and even at $20 mil I'd like to have him on a 1 year deal as compared to blowing $18 mil a year on Ellsbury for 6 years or $16 mil on a 5 year deal with McCann....etc. I love 1 year, high quality deals where if they go well we might get a pick out of it and if he gets hurt we are only out 1 year or if he loses motivation we are only out 1 year. Kuroda is a near ideal situation to me. Such opportunities are rare for a starting pitcher of his caliber. It hurts the Yanks and helps us in a 1 year deal. I'm all over that opportunity even though I expect he re signs with the Yanks or goes to Japan. The Yanks used him and abused him last year and are not expecting to be contenders this year. I think we should go after him with a vengence. We might be able to land him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Signing a stud starting pitcher is maybe the best way to get a stud RH bat. There are no stud RH bats in FA and we don't want to unload 3-4 great prospects to get one. If we can include a Peavy or  Doubront, maybe a Nava and 1-2 solid prospects at most we have an opportunity to trade for the stud RH power bat we need, ideally at 1st or in LF.

Make no question, we need a stud RH bat to protect Papi. That is probably Napoli but it would be nice to upgrade there. We may have no choice if Napoli takes the QO. 

It may be that Middlebrooks or Bogaerts emerge and be that player. If we can upgarde the rotation plus get a stud RH bat this winter and a little depth maybe in a 5th outfielder who is RH and at catcher I think that is the best we can expect. 

I like Nava a lot but if they aren't going to play him over Jonny Gomes for God's sake against RH pitching no less, trade him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thanks Crit..  Sometimes it helps just to leave for a while.

I've have mixed feelings concerning Ellsbury's possible departure.  Initially, I thought beyond a doubt that he'd leave.  Then, after watching his emotion this year with the present team, I started to have second thoughts.  Adding to this, I read that he had been playing with a severe injury.  This was very admirable 'team-wise'.

Now, after the euphoria is starting to wear off and your comment about neglecing the writers etc., I'm starting to go full circle.  Again, I think he'll definitely be gone.  All his effort, I now feel, wasn't necessaily for the team but for individual gain contract-wise.

If he doesn't get the extra big bucks this year, he never will.  It's the difderence between him and Pedroia.  Stability and team are more important to Pedroia than Ellsbury.  I just can't visualize Ellsbury telling Boras to only negotiate with the Sox.  After all the bad blood that spilled after the rib diagnosis fiasco etc., I don't think he'll resign.  Besides, after the Crawford, Gonzales failure, the way the Sox do business has changed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In my opinion, Kuroda is a stud and even at $20 mil I'd like to have him on a 1 year deal as compared to blowing $18 mil a year on Ellsbury for 6 years or $16 mil on a 5 year deal with McCann....etc. I love 1 year, high quality deals where if they go well we might get a pick out of it and if he gets hurt we are only out 1 year or if he loses motivation we are only out 1 year. Kuroda is a near ideal situation to me. Such opportunities are rare for a starting pitcher of his caliber. It hurts the Yanks and helps us in a 1 year deal. I'm all over that opportunity even though I expect he re signs with the Yanks or goes to Japan. The Yanks used him and abused him last year and are not expecting to be contenders this year. I think we should go after him with a vengence. We might be able to land him.

The Yanks used him and abused him last year

when was this

are not expecting to be contenders this year.

when was this

I think we should go after him with a vengence. We might be able to land him.

Kuroda is a near ideal situation to me.

hard to tell but I'll give you the benifit of doubt and

guess you forgot he would cost you a draft pic for a 1 yr deal

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In my opinion, Kuroda is a stud and even at $20 mil I'd like to have him on a 1 year deal as compared to blowing $18 mil a year on Ellsbury for 6 years or $16 mil on a 5 year deal with McCann....etc.

I don't consider a pitcher that goes winless from the middle of August on, with a WHIP around 1.45 to be a stud oitcher.

He's going to be 39 in Feb.

I'm not sure he holds up for a full season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I could see a scenario in which our infield rotation of Bogey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Napoli could return with each player, of the four, getting about 450-500 at bats splitting 3b, ss, and 1b, with only Pedey at 2b getting 650 plate appearances. Not sure if something like that could work, but Drew demonstrated the importance of stellar defense from the ss position. 

Drew plays SS vs RH's starters  110 games

Bogey plays SS vs LHPs 50 games and 3B vs 2/3 games vs RH'd starters 75 games (125 total)

Middy plays 3B vs the others (85 games) and maybe 25 at 1B (110 total)

Napoli plays 125 at 1B

Could work, and if anyone gets injured, including Papi, we have players that can go everyday.

[/QUOTE]

Drew will NOT have to accept a platoon like that, and shouldnt. Hes a FT player. You may not like his splits, but his final regular season numbers are well above the MLB average for SS.

Plus, you dont platoon every position on the field, thats taking it too far. 1b, SS, 3b, and a couple OF positions. Thats overkill. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

when was this

when was this

[/QUOTE]

Morning Zac,

Sox fans forget that Kuroda nixed a trade to Boston and really never considered signing as a free agent with them last winter. He simply doesn't appear eager to join the Sox.

He would be a nice addition but with the young arms in the system not sure the Sox would be willing to give up a draft pick and meet his salary demands.

As for "yanks not expected to be contenders next year" I prefer to hold judgement until I see what they show up with in the spring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Kuroda is almost 40, doesnt want to play here and looked very very old after the ASB. We  would forfit a 1st rd pick for him too. Undecided Hes not even worth discussing and certainly would NOT be an upgrade. His contract would be a 1yr nightmare and he would probably have to take a "DL vacation" to finish the year. Yes, Id like the Sox to spend 15M+ on that clown.

The fact that we have Buch, Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Dempster, Workman all who can occupy a rotation spot in 2014. Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Britton all upo next with Owens and Barnes not far behind. I think were covered with pitching. These guys won a WS, are they not good enough all of a sudden?

We need to deal with 3 up the middle positions before the rotation should even be thought about, if it even needs much thought.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I could see a scenario in which our infield rotation of Bogey, Middlebrooks, Drew, Napoli could return with each player, of the four, getting about 450-500 at bats splitting 3b, ss, and 1b, with only Pedey at 2b getting 650 plate appearances. Not sure if something like that could work, but Drew demonstrated the importance of stellar defense from the ss position. 

Bogey plays SS vs LHPs 50 games and 3B vs 2/3 games vs RH'd starters 75 games (125 total)

Napoli plays 125 at 1B

Could work, and if anyone gets injured, including Papi, we have players that can go everyday.

[/QUOTE]

Drew will NOT have to accept a platoon like that, and shouldnt. Hes a FT player. You may not like his splits, but his final regular season numbers are well above the MLB average for SS.

Plus, you dont platoon every position on the field, thats taking it too far. 1b, SS, 3b, and a couple OF positions. Thats overkill. 

[/QUOTE]

I said "it could work"; I ddin't say I liked the idea.

I would see it more like this:

Trade Middy if we bring back Napoli and Drew.

or if we keep Middy:

Drew 152 games at SS (Rest 10 vs LHPs)

Bogey 150 games (140 at 3B and 10 at SS)

Napoli 145 games (135 at 1B and 10 at DH as Papi rests)

Middy 50 games (22 at 3B and 27 at 1B)

Any injury to Drew, Bogey, Napoli or Papi would give Middy more PAs as other players are juggle around if needed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need to deal with 3 up the middle positions before the rotation should even be thought about, if it even needs much thought.

I agree, but if we sign Kuroda and then trade a SP for an "up the middle position", then it solves what you are looking for.

I think we can come up with a better plan, but the plan of signing Kuroda and then trading a starter is not a terrible idea. Many teams will greatly overpay for a decent SP like Peavy or Doubront. Maybe that decent player is cheaper and better than any FA "up the middle" player available to us. I think that was the point of the opinion stated here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cots is a bit confusing on this matter.

Under the Dodgers' payroll obligations for 2014, it lists:

2014: payment from Boston $3.9M, but it also lists bonuses paid by Boston of

$0.857M for Crawford from 2014 to 2018

$0.857M for Gonzalez from 2014 to 2017

That would total about $5.6M for 2014 not $3.9M as listed on the Red Sox page.

Either way, it lessens the amount we can spend by about $4-5.5M.

Counting this payment, my adjusted arb projections and the pension payment, I have us at about $164M, leaving us only about...

$25M to spend and stay under the limit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Napoli plays 125 at 1B

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I said "it could work"; I ddin't say I liked the idea.

I would see it more like this:

Trade Middy if we bring back Napoli and Drew.

or if we keep Middy:

Drew 152 games at SS (Rest 10 vs LHPs)

Bogey 150 games (140 at 3B and 10 at SS)

Napoli 145 games (135 at 1B and 10 at DH as Papi rests)

Middy 50 games (22 at 3B and 27 at 1B)

Any injury to Drew, Bogey, Napoli or Papi would give Middy more PAs as other players are juggle around if needed.

[/QUOTE]

My apologies. I though by saying "It could work" implyed you liked it.

If Drew comes back Middlebrooks should be traded. His value just goes down if hes a pt player, and its not that high right now. Although Id really like Middy on the team, I know they really like Drew, and for good reason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

when was this

when was this

[/QUOTE]

Morning Zac,

Sox fans forget that Kuroda nixed a trade to Boston and really never considered signing as a free agent with them last winter. He simply doesn't appear eager to join the Sox.

He would be a nice addition but with the young arms in the system not sure the Sox would be willing to give up a draft pick and meet his salary demands.

As for "yanks not expected to be contenders next year" I prefer to hold judgement until I see what they show up with in the spring.

[/QUOTE]

GM HH

agree, but I think we will know B4 spring if they will contend

thing is he wasn't even saying that

he said they don't expect to be contenders

that seems a tad unfair to the owners

I don't think we have gotten to that point ..............yet

they might be wrong but I believe they believe they will contend

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My apologies. I though by saying "It could work" implied you liked it.

It does kind of imply that I think it could work, so is OK, but I think we can do better, and I'd have to see what we could get for Peavy or Doubront or both before I could agree with the overall impact of signing Kuroda.

If Drew comes back Middlebrooks should be traded. His value just goes down if hes a pt player, and its not that high right now. Although Id really like Middy on the team, I know they really like Drew, and for good reason.

My position on Middy vs Drew is more about Bogey being better suited for 3B than SS, and Drew being a much better defensive SS than Bogey.

If we were able to get a big OF'er and catcher, I'd be fine with Drew at SS, Bogey at 3B and Middy/Carp/Nava/Papi fighting over 1B PAs (No Napoli).

Otherwise, trading Middy makes most sense. I agree.