A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

The Red Sox should probably try to re-sign Stephen Drew and keep Will Middlebrooks and Xander Bogaerts.

Bogaerts, who turned 21 in October, could still experience growing pains that might require more time in Pawtucket. Neither Bogaerts nor Middlebrooks is a sure thing in 2014, but chances are at least one of the two will produce at an acceptable level.

I want to be clear that I have far more confidence in Bogaerts' hitting than I have in Middlebrooks' hitting. I raise the possibility of Bogaerts heading down to Pawtucket solely because of his youth, not because of holes in his swing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

No offense Zac but the Yanks have definite problems and Hank has said over and over that he doesn't want to go over the luxury tax limit this year, and the Arod situation and Sabathia not being what he once was with Jeter probably a shell of what he once was....etc.

Potentially losing 7-8 players like Kuroda, Mo, Petite ...etc. Lots of talent potentially lost. 

I didn't mean to say that the Yanks don't intend to contend. I should have said many analysts don't expect them to contend. My bad.

In terms of used him and abused him, they rode him hard last year logging 200 innings with him the 4th year in a row. He has logged some miles as an older guy in particular. When it appeared he needed some rest they sent him right back out there and extended his innings in starts when they didn't have a very good pen at all during the end of the year. You've got to admit that their pen fell apart at year end.

I think I have said several times now that I don't EXPECT that they will move on Kuroda, for those of you implying that it's a pipe dream ( not you Zac ). I am aware that he has said he wanted to stay a Yankee last year and that he has expressed a desire to maybe go to Japan ...etc. I'm not bringing it up because it is something I expect will happen. I'm saying that given all the permutations this winter, going hard after him makes a lot of sense by helping to dig the yanks hole deeper and also improving our starting rotation. For those here who think he would not improve our starting rotation, let me introduce them to fangraphs.com or any other stats website. Even with 8 bad starts at the end of the year the guy still had a sub 3.5 ERA for the 4th year in a row and logged 200 innings. And his game is not even optimized for Yankee stadium as a RH pitcher. He's an animal. A stud.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No offense Zac but the Yanks have definite problems and Hank has said over and over that he doesn't want to go over the luxury tax limit this year, and the Arod situation and Sabathia not being what he once was with Jeter probably a shell of what he once was....etc.

Potentially losing 7-8 players like Kuroda, Mo, Petite ...etc. Lots of talent potentially lost. 

I didn't mean to say that the Yanks don't intend to contend. I should have said many analysts don't expect them to contend. My bad.

In terms of used him and abused him, they rode him hard last year logging 200 innings with him the 4th year in a row. He has logged some miles as an older guy in particular. When it appeared he needed some rest they sent him right back out there and extended his innings in starts when they didn't have a very good pen at all during the end of the year. You've got to admit that their pen fell apart at year end.

I think I have said several times now that I don't EXPECT that they will move on Kuroda, for those of you implying that it's a pipe dream ( not you Zac ). I am aware that he has said he wanted to stay a Yankee last year and that he has expressed a desire to maybe go to Japan ...etc. I'm not bringing it up because it is something I expect will happen. I'm saying that given all the permutations this winter, going hard after him makes a lot of sense by helping to dig the yanks hole deeper and also improving our starting rotation. For those here who think he would not improve our starting rotation, let me introduce them to fangraphs.com or any other stats website. Even with 8 bad starts at the end of the year the guy still had a sub 3.5 ERA for the 4th year in a row and logged 200 innings. And his game is not even optimized for Yankee stadium as a RH pitcher. He's an animal. A stud.

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, he's an "animal," he's a "stud." He's also not coming to Boston, so give up the dream.  It's not happening.  Maybe you should try to discuss a subject that you might actually know something about, because you know absolutely "nothing, nada, zero" about Kuroda.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Yanks have  an opportunity to retool just as we did after the Crawford to LA deal. It will be a tall order though still. Is there enough talent out there for them to do that and still stay under the luxury tax limit with the fairly expensive base that they have already in Jeter, Texiera, Arod, Sabathia?

For those of you who think I "forgot" about the draft pick loss, I am anticipating a net gain in picks with my proposal. I expect Drew and Ellsbury to walk and I'm hoping Napoli walks. I hope Salty walks also. I'd rather spend my money on a stud pitcher, a Choo for RF, and Rajai Davis as another RH reserve OF and open up a trade opportunity for a Peavy, Dempster or Doubront. If Napoli stays they should look at trading Carp or Nava in my opinon. I'd rather they trade Gomes but that clearly isn't going to happen. 

You know it's possible that Kuroda might be so good again that if he left after a 1 year deal we might get that pick back even. He is a solid starting pitcher.

They don't seem excited about bring Salty back guys. Look at the media reports. They have said that they want Napoli back on a 1 year deal. They haven't said anything about wanting him back multiyear. I don't agree that they should spend over $10 mil to bring back Drew when they have one of the top 2-3 prospects in baseball available at SS. I think they can bring in a guy to pair up with Ross at catcher and save a lot of money there and Lavarnway is fine with me. He can't block pitches well in the dirt but overall I think he could be a decent catcher. And we have 2 guys in Pawtucket who are decent injury depth also. I would play Lavarnway as the starting catcher option with Ross to mentor him.

Kuroda upgrades the staff significantly and Choo got on base at a .420 or so clip last year with 20 bombs. Offensively he is probably an upgrade over Ellsbury in Fenway. I like Choo's hit chart. He will pepper the wall if they pitch him outside. And hit with power if they pitch him inside. We can't bring all 4 of our FA back with the money we have available. My proposal improves this team's chance to win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Kuroda? LMFAO!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Whatever Jasko. Why bother? I've explained it to death now. It's an opinion as to what would improve our team the most. Feel free to disagree but try to get it right when you state things INCORRECTLY, and be man enough to admit it when you do not. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Look at the available RH power bats in this year's FA crop. It's basically Napoli and then a big drop off and I'm not even enamored with Napoli. There is the first baseman from Milwaukee coming off 2 knee surguries ( can't remember his name for a second and I'm preparing to go to work ). There just isn't a lot of good RH hitting free agent talent this year. Ergo a trade as possibly our best option beyond hoping for an emergence of Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

Imagine what our RH hitting lineup would look like without Napoli and Bogaerts? I shudder to think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

Whatever Jasko. Why bother? I've explained it to death now. It's an opinion as to what would improve our team the most. Feel free to disagree but try to get it right when you state things INCORRECTLY, and be man enough to admit it when you do not. 

[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?! You called me a liar, because I posted a fact that you didn't hear about.  You went on and on about it like a know it all windbag, yet you can't seem to grasp the fact that there are people on this board who have access to more information than you do.  Get over yourself.  Try not to post in "absolutes," either.  When people do that, they end up looking like an idiot.  You have no idea if your "proposals" will make this team better.  Say "I think" or "In my opinion," and won't sound like such a windbag in the future.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Here is an exact quote of what you said Jasko ( and I never used the tem liar by the way ):

The Sox were willing to go as high as 20+ million on a one or two year deal last off-season for Kuroda, but they were still a essentially a distant 4th behind the Yankees, Dodgers & going back home.  

So if everyone here buys that then you would have a point but you have ZERO evidence that the Redsox offered up to $20 mil for Kuroda but he turned it down. ZERO. And we are to believe that Kuroda turned down an extra $5 mil per year in salary because he wanted to remain a Yankee? It begs credulity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would like the Red Sox to go after Kuroda.  Have Tazawa and Uehara help recruit him to Boston. 

A one-year deal at 15 million plus incentives.  Besides, I'm sure Kuroda is tired of the A-Rod drama and the losing at that clubhouse.   Wink

Kuroda: "I'm tired of all the drama and losing with the Yankees."

Uehara and Tazawa: "You should come to Boston.  They just replaced chicken and beer with sushi and sake."   Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Look at the available RH power bats in this year's FA crop. It's basically Napoli and then a big drop off and I'm not even enamored with Napoli. There is the first baseman from Milwaukee coming off 2 knee surguries ( can't remember his name for a second and I'm preparing to go to work ). There just isn't a lot of good RH hitting free agent talent this year. Ergo a trade as possibly our best option beyond hoping for an emergence of Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

Imagine what our RH hitting lineup would look like without Napoli and Bogaerts? I shudder to think.

[/QUOTE]

Which makes it puzzling that two posts above you said you wanted to trade Gomes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Jonny gomes is a career .244 hitter who cannot field very well either. He has some pop in his bat but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park. Is that our starting Left Fielder? Apparently Farrrell thinks it is.

Here is my prospective lineup:

Nava 1st ( with Carp and Ortiz as back up )

Pedroia 2nd

Ortiz DH

Choo RF ( Back up of Gomes & Rajai Davis )

Victorino - RF

Bogaerts - SS

Middlebrooks - 3rd

Lavarnway/Ross - catcher (If we trade Dempster/Peavy/Doubront we could upgrade here]

JBJ - CF ( Back up Choo, Davis, Victorino )

Startng Rotation:

Kuroda

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Peavy/Doubront/Dempster

Starter depth:

Morales, Webster, Ranaudo, and the above as well as others in AAA.

Still need a middle infield reserve

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jonny gomes is a career .244 hitter who cannot field very well either. He has some pop in his bat but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park. Is that our starting Left Fielder? Apparently Farrrell thinks it is.

Gomes is a lefty masher with a career .879 OPS.  That was one of the main reasons he was signed.

Where are you getting that Farrell sees him as an everyday outfielder?  He shared left field with Nava.  He played more left field than planned because Nava had to cover for Victorino in right in a lot of games.

The Nava/Gomes combo in left worked great this year.

Just because Gomes played more than his share in the postseason doesn't mean his role will be different next year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes is a lefty masher with a career .879 OPS.  That was one of the main reasons he was signed.

Where are you getting that Farrell sees him as an everyday outfielder?  He shared left field with Nava.  He played more left field than planned because Nava had to cover for Victorino in right in a lot of games.

The Nava/Gomes combo in left worked great this year.

Just because Gomes played more than his share in the postseason doesn't mean his role will be different next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Surprised you didn't take him down on "but there is no indication that it is much more than the ability to hit mistake pitches out of the park".

Truth be known those are usually the only pitches that clear the outfield fences.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

No offense taken RSP

you mean hal ,

hank hasn't been seen alive since he resigned arod all by himself in the midle of the night

( which I was happy about)

hal has also said

you can keep your insurance he won't do the 189 at the cost of competing

that's cool thanks  that's what I was responding to

In terms of used him and abused him, they rode him hard last year logging 200 innings with him the 4th year in a row. He has logged some miles as an older guy in particular. When it appeared he needed some rest they sent him right back out there and extended his innings in starts when they didn't have a very good pen at all during the end of the year.

there's some truth there RSP

sure they rode him hard they had no other choice

I just can't agree with abused

game logs

You've got to admit that their pen fell apart at year end.

that's what killed them

at least we can agree on that & kuroda is a great sign

if one can get him for 1 yr  and not lose a pic

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here are the top hitters by OPS vs LHPs since 2012:

McCutchen

Posey

Cabrera

Goldschmidt

Stanton

C Ross

Encarnacion

Longoria

Wright

Donaldson

Holliday

Butler

Trout

H Ramirez

J Upton

Kinsler

Pedroia

Craig

Hart

N Cruz

Wieters

J Gomes

Victorino

Konerko

C Gomez

A Soriano

A Rios

T Plouffe

Cespedes

Trumbo

Denorfia

A Hill

Prado

Fowler

D Norris

Zimmerman

Pence

Infante

J Baker

(All over .850)

Overall vs LHPs and RHPs:

Cabrera

Trout

Votto

McCutchen

Encarnacion

R Cano

C Davis

C Gonzalez

G Stanton

Goldschmidt

Beltre

Wright

Posey

Holliday

Mauer

Fielder

A Hill

Carpenter

Y Molina

A Craig

Choo

(All over .850)

Under .850:

Freeman

Hart

Beltran

Butler

Hamilton

Harper

A Jones

Bruce

Pujols

Fowler

Zimmerman

Headley

Belt

Willingham

Desmond

C Gomez

C Santana

T Hunter

A Soriano

A Jackson

A Gon

A Rios

N Cruz

J Upton

Zobrist

Swisher

(All over .800)

Who on these lists can be a realistic target?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Highest Searched Players  over the last 7 days

www.rotoworld.com

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

soft what do u think about Kuroda?  The brains here think Kuroda is an animal  Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's make this a no clown zone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Then you need to kick boomerangsdotcom out.... 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He is an animal. A moose! A rampaging Rhino! I want him on our side!

I know the whole Kuroda thing is personal for Yankees fans. It's like insulting their mom. I understand it ( again, I'm not talking about Zac who is in a league by himself! ). But even Zac probably wants Kuroda back and why wouldn't he! 

I think he's even worth a pick. After all, we are draft position #30, and that slot will quickly be replaced when some of these other guys decline.

The Yanks have been stealing our players since the 1920s. Why don't we take some of theirs back! The last ones I remember were both catchers well past their primes. They took Boggs, Damon...etc. Not to mention Ruth and 1/2 of those great Redsox teams circa 1918.

You know what they say about paybacks! 

25. This post has been removed.