A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Still, if as I suspect, the cost of players goes up starting in 2016 we might want to reconsider the approach by 2015.

It appears the costs of players will rise sharply this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Southpa, I didn't want to take the time to go over it but I didn't state in absolutes with no reason. As I understand it, there is a lot to lose in revenue sharing this year if a team choses to go over the limit. Even the Yanks want to stay under the limit this year and look how badly they need to restock players? It's not just to reset the cycle. I don't know exactly what the return is but it could well be $20 - $30 mil per team as the league is making money bigtime. The TV deals and mlb.com revenues, sports jersey's, hats etc... are generating a huge amount of cash.  

This is one of the last few years all teams under the cap will even be eligible for revenue sharing if they are under the limit. In 2016, the top 15 markets will no longer be elligible for revenue sharing no matter what so why not go over it in 2016, and why not share in the revenue this year and next?

The Yanks and Redsox, Dodgers etc... will no longer be eligible for revenue sharing in 2016. Spending might well escallate a lot. We don't know that the Redsox will chose to go over the cap in 2016 but there is a lot of incentive to lock down key players before then, because spending could well go up if 15 teams are not nearly as concerned with the cap any more. Now is a good time to lock up a John Lester and maybe even a Lackey beyond their current contracts ( actually next Spring is ideal due to cap considerations ). Top players are going to command potentially off the charts salaries in 2016.

Theres a 17.5% tax penalty for 1st time offenders. The Sox could easliy reset in 2015 with no problem. Im not suggesting that they do this, or that they will. But rather It wont hurt them that much (yes, I know. Its not my $$) if the did. Personally I think they will have more 45M or so to spend, and thats if they dont non tender anyone. (Bailey should be NT). Morales, Miller, Carp and Tazawa could get about 5-7M between them on top of the already 126M owed already. This includes payments to LAD and contracts guarenteed.

I agree to lock some players up now, which is why I suggested the possibility of going over this year with all the dead weight coming off after 2014 and 2015. You make some good points though about teams not worrying about going over in 2016. I would imagine there will be something else in place after this CBA runs out though. They want competetive balance and I dont believe having no penalties for going over will allow that competetive balance to happen.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/luxury-tax/

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree to lock some players up now, which is why I suggested the possibility of going over this year with all the dead weight coming off after 2014 and 2015. 

There is some "dead weight" coming off after 2014 and 2015, but there is also some mighty big shoes to fill as well... and at what cost?

Possible dead weight:

after...

2014                       2015 

Peavy $14.5M

Demp $13.25M

We can do a lot with $28M, but look at the holes that need to be filler...

2014                     2015

Ortiz $15.5M       Vict  $13M

Lester $13M       Bres $3.8M

Gomes $5M

Uehara $4.25M

Ross  $3.1M

Morales $arb?

Miller     $arb?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theres a 17.5% tax penalty for 1st time offenders. The Sox could easliy reset in 2015 with no problem.

The 17.5% tax is just on the amount you go over, so if we go over $10M, we are charged just $1.75M in year 1.  For those who think signing Tanaka will save Henry loads of cash by keeping us under the threshhold, think again.

(Note: I'd like us to get Tanaka, but going over the limit would be cheaper than the posting fee.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree to lock some players up now, which is why I suggested the possibility of going over this year with all the dead weight coming off after 2014 and 2015. 

There is some "dead weight" coming off after 2014 and 2015, but there is also some mighty big shoes to fill as well... and at what cost?

Possible dead weight:

after...

2014                       2015 

Peavy $14.5M

Demp $13.25M

We can do a lot with $28M, but look at the holes that need to be filler...

2014                     2015

Ortiz $15.5M       Vict  $13M

Lester $13M       Bres $3.8M

Gomes $5M

Uehara $4.25M

Ross  $3.1M

Morales $arb?

Miller     $arb?

[/QUOTE]

I think Lester gets resigned. papi can go another year depending on 2014 numbers and theres no sign of slowing down just yet, so its a very realistic possibility. BU catcher isnt an issue. BP arms, besides a closer, isnt an issue. Gomes is a platoon guy. Then Vic. Morales and Miller are in the last year of arb in 2014.

Pitching is usually the most $$ nowadays, so as long as a couple prospects work out I dont see a big issue. We owe next to nothing in 15-16. They could hand out 3 20M per deals (not saying they would) and not sweat it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Theres a 17.5% tax penalty for 1st time offenders. The Sox could easliy reset in 2015 with no problem.

The 17.5% tax is just on the amount you go over, so if we go over $10M, we are charged just $1.75M in year 1.  For those who think signing Tanaka will save Henry loads of cash by keeping us under the threshhold, think again.

(Note: I'd like us to get Tanaka, but going over the limit would be cheaper than the posting fee.)

[/QUOTE]

Exactly Moon. Then we would easily reset in 2015. They could go to 200M and not really owe that much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly Moon. Then we would easily reset in 2015. They could go to 200M and not really owe that much.

[/QUOTE]

Right, if we go to $199M, the tax is just $1.75M. If we go to $209M, it would just be $3.5M.

However, resetting in 2015 might not be so easy, unless the guys we sign this year are 1 year deals.

The $28M we lose in Peavy and Dempster will help, but how do we fill these slots cheaply?

Papi, Lester, Uehara, Gomes and a few pen arms?

Keeping Lester might add $8-12M to the budget.

It can be done, but it won't be easy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Boom, your post WS outline is feisty, aggressive, and pro- active.  Not sure I agree with it; little taken back by your push for big pitching.  But I like provocative ideas, I see your points, and I think it's fun to come here and see range of ideas.  It seems like we have to see how the free agents shake out (ours) before we make next moves.  Thanks...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Crit, I'm just looking at the $32 mil we have to spend and seeing which players could this team add which would be most helpful in winning a championship again. This proposal is based on a couple of principles and developments:

1) The real issue is not just going over the cap and costing us dollars in that way. It's also not being able to get $25-$30 mil per team back if we stay under the cap. It's called revenue sharing. I don't think most of us are yet aware that the new CBA has implications in that regard. If we stay under the cap we don't just save ourselves money, we get money back in league revenue sharing of TV dollars and TShirt sales...etc and it's a sizeable amount of money per team now. It's not just money from the Yanks if they go over the cap. It's access to the huge pool of national TV money, mlb.com money, tshirt sales money...etc. The main implications of this are that we effectively have $32 mil to spend at most, per Alex Speir of WEEI:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/11/08/how-much-can-red-sox-spend-winter-2014-payroll

2) It seems to me that the key to winning the world series, and even getting into and through the playoffs in general, is top starting pitching. A team also needs at least 2-3 solid relievers but that can often be cobbled together from guys in the minors or via mid season trades ...etc. But the key is top starting pitching. We all know that don't we? If you don't have great pitching you don't win in the playoffs. It's almost that simple and the key is to have at least 2 top pitchers and preferably up to 4 when the playoffs hit. And that probably takes more than 4 early in the year because by the time you get there some of them will be worn out, injured ...etc.

This is all particularly true in an era of increased parity between teams. There will be fewer perfect teams going forward, where the Yanks have an all star at every position because they can afford it. At least that is my theory. Teams have to scramble more now and develop more talent themselves. Maybe even get lucky once in a while and draft a Wacha type guy who becomes a stud overnight. The farm is probably more crucial now as player development might be the most likely way to get top young talent. The Redsox seem to be way ahead of this trend in that regard, especially in trying to develop their own top young pitching.  

But once in a while key players become available via free agency or on the international market. Top mercenaries like Kuroda who can maybe be had by any team for $20 mil on a 1 year deal. He only cost $15 mil last year. Maybe that is $20 mil well spent if you want that top guy for the play offs. I don't think any reasonable person can look at Kuroda's numbers and not think of him as a top guy. He could clearly help us with at least 3-4 more wins next year as compared to Dempster or whoever is our #5 at this point. Even better, maybe we take a chance on the guy who might actually be the next Pedro in Tanaka. The guy was 24-0 last year. And he's 26 years old. Why not at least try for that guy? We have a solid base of talent. Why not put the cherry on top of that strawberry sunday?

It all came into my mind when I saw how much Cincinnati gave up when they traded for Matt Latos a couple years ago. They gave up a boatload of talent to get him. Without that top stud pitcher, most teams just don't stand a chance. Teams will trade their first born for that top starting pitcher. Most teams never get that guy because they can't develop him or trade for him or sign him via free agency. A one year deal at $20 mil is someone every team can afford and fit into their budget. And he has been consistently great.

A lot of starters, even top starters, have good years and bad years. A guy who consistently puts up great numbers is rare. To me there are 2 top pitchers potentially available this year and they are Tanaka and Kuroda. Ergo the priority of at least trying to get one of them. It puts us in a better position to win in the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To focus on Beltran may seem crazy also but I'm in win now mode and he can actually be a decent guy hitting behind Ortiz. He probably protects Ortiz better than Napoli and may well be available on a 2 year deal even, 3 year at worst. And we are in a position to use him in Fenway's LF and we can even play Papi at 1st some to give him some rest as DH if absolutely necessary. And look at what happens in interleague play and the World Series, we have to set Napoli in order to play Papi. It's a small factor but it's a factor. I'd rather have Beltran than Napoli. Much better bat although we do have some impact defensively. Beltran's ability to hit any pitching is the deciding factor to me. The guy has proven it over and over.  

We then round things out with some RH outfield depth ...etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It looks like the Sox might have a similar approach but that they are targeting Hudson instead. They love short term deals and they recognize that a guy like Hudson could help him and possibly represent good value. Maybe he's not even available at full steam until July, recovering from the injury. But they might have a fresh guy available for the playoffs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

To focus on Beltran may seem crazy also but I'm in win now mode and he can actually be a decent guy hitting behind Ortiz. He probably protects Ortiz better than Napoli and may well be available on a 2 year deal even, 3 year at worst. And we are in a position to use him in Fenway's LF and we can even play Papi at 1st some to give him some rest as DH if absolutely necessary. And look at what happens in interleague play and the World Series, we have to set Napoli in order to play Papi. It's a small factor but it's a factor. I'd rather have Beltran than Napoli. Much better bat although we do have some impact defensively. Beltran's ability to hit any pitching is the deciding factor to me. The guy has proven it over and over.  

We then round things out with some RH outfield depth ...etc.[/QUOTE]

I think Beltran does represent the best FA to bat behind Papi, and since he doesn't play 1B, we don't run into the NL park issues when Papi plays 1B, but I don't like his RF defense and having to move Victorino to CF as well.

Ideally, he'd play LF for the Sox, but the Gomes/Nava platoon looks potent. Now, if Nava is moved to 1B, then Beltran in LF looks fine, but then we still need a CF'er. I'm OK with JBJ and maybe a Rajai Davis, but I do not think Beltran alone replaces Napoli, Ellsbury, Drew and Salty's offense. Beltran and Ruiz don't either, so I can't see spending big on pitching this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

The $28M we lose in Peavy and Dempster will help, but how do we fill these slots cheaply?

[/QUOTE]

The answer is probably the farm. Webster, Workman, de la Rosa in particular among others. At some point, the prospects have to step up. Anyway, it is the obvious and affordable option. 

Another possibility is a 3 for 1 trade of our prospects for a better pitching prospect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

We then round things out with some RH outfield depth ...etc.

I think Beltran does represent the best FA to bat behind Papi, and since he doesn't play 1B, we don't run into the NL park issues when Papi plays 1B, but I don't like his RF defense and having to move Victorino to CF as well.

Ideally, he'd play LF for the Sox, but the Gomes/Nava platoon looks potent. Now, if Nava is moved to 1B, then Beltran in LF looks fine, but then we still need a CF'er. I'm OK with JBJ and maybe a Rajai Davis, but I do not think Beltran alone replaces Napoli, Ellsbury, Drew and Salty's offense. Beltran and Ruiz don't either, so I can't see spending big on pitching this year.

[/QUOTE]

The net cost of signing Tanaka per year ( outside of the posting fee which no doubt will be at least in the $60 mil range ) is probably $10-$13 mil a year, or less against the cap than either Peavy or Dempster. Trade Peavy or Dempster and signing Tanaka may actually give us more money to sign hitters. So Tanaka may well not put us over the cap or hurt the team's ability much in terms of signing FA hitters. If we trade Peavy or Dempster the net effect of adding Kuroda should be less than $5-$10 mil I would think depending upon which one. It's interesting that Hudson may well be cheaper and not cost a pick. Ergo we accomplish much of the same without losing a pick or going over the cap, if we trade Dempster. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do sign Hudson in a 2 year deal for over market rates just to stay under the cap and keep their pick. 

Replacing the offense lost is to a degree potential by maybe having a better bat that Napoli in Beltran, a better bat than Drew in Bogaerts. Maybe Middlebrooks comes back with a better year. Pedroia back from injury. Salty was a good hitter last year but I think that was an anomoly for him. His BAPIP was sky high. He probably doesn't hit close to that in average at least next year. JBJ may surprise us some, at least in OBP percentage and similar pop to Ellsbury. The difference in JBJ at $500,000 and Ellsbury at more than $20 mil per year is just ridiculous so I don't see them keeping Ellsbury as much as we will miss him.

We were first in the league in runs scored last year. If we are 2nd or 3rd this year that should still be fine with this pitching staff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The answer is probably the farm. Webster, Workman, de la Rosa in particular among others. At some point, the prospects have to step up. Anyway, it is the obvious and affordable option. 

Another possibility is a 3 for 1 trade of our prospects for a better pitching prospect.

[/QUOTE]

By the start or 2015, there are a number of young players that may have key roles on this team:

C: Vazquez or Lava (Maybe Swihart by late 2015)

3B1B: Middy or Cecchini? (Almanzar/Shaw)

2B/OF: Betts

SS: Bogey/Marrero

OF: JBJ/Brentz (Margot/Hassan/Ramos/de la Cruz)

P: Webster/Workman/Britton/Wright/de la Rosa/Ranuado/Barnes/Owens/L Diaz/Johnson

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I wonder if they trade any of that starting pitching depth they have in the minors. Ranaudo, Webster, Delarosa, Barnes, Britton? That's 5 potentially mlb ready starters by year end. I'd say Wright also but could we get anything for him even though I do think he's of value. We have Owens coming up soon after them, maybe even next fall if necessary but they probably want to give him at least another year in the minors.

We can't keep everyone. Roster issues alone force our hand some maybe even this winter. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't think there is any chance of RS getting Tanaka. Reports coming out of NY say the Yanks may post a 70 mil bid for Tanaka if he is posted [heard this more than once]. While I like Kuroda, he did struggle mightly the late in the yr for Yanks, not to mention he did say last off season that he would only resign w/ Yanks or would go back to Japan to pitch. With Yanks current situation maybe he would be open to signing w/ a another team w/ chance to win next yr? Think this is yr to avoid FA mkt, just a hunch $ are going to get crazy again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

"The $28M we lose in Peavy and Dempster will help, but how do we fill these slots cheaply?"

I'd like to see us make lots of small bets on unproven but promising young players, and then see who blossoms.

If you have $20 million invested in a single vetran pitcher, versus a million each on 20 up and coming / recovering / etc. pitchers, then the chances are better that one of the kids will mature and fill a niche compared to the possibility of TJ surgery on a big star that blows a hole in your wallet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The $28M we lose in Peavy and Dempster will help, but how do we fill these slots cheaply?"

I'd like to see us make lots of small bets on unproven but promising young players, and then see who blossoms.

If you have $20 million invested in a single vetran pitcher, versus a million each on 20 up and coming / recovering / etc. pitchers, then the chances are better that one of the kids will mature and fill a niche compared to the possibility of TJ surgery on a big star that blows a hole in your wallet.

[/QUOTE]

There just are not many "young" free agents. The system that is set up does not make it easy for younger players to reach free agency.

Salty is one of the younger ones, and he turns 29 next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's how our pen looks on paper right now:

Uehara

Breslow

Tazawa

Workman

Britton

Miller

Morales

Dempster

(Bailey?)

Villareal

de la Rosa

A Wilson

I think we could use a Mujica or Crain, but may have to trust what we have.

C Martin

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

[QUOTE]

I wonder if they trade any of that starting pitching depth they have in the minors. Ranaudo, Webster, Delarosa, Barnes, Britton? That's 5 potentially mlb ready starters by year end. I'd say Wright also but could we get anything for him even though I do think he's of value. We have Owens coming up soon after them, maybe even next fall if necessary but they probably want to give him at least another year in the minors.

We can't keep everyone. Roster issues alone force our hand some maybe even this winter. 

[/QUOTE]
    Best position you want to be in. Sox may want move some of these guys to the BP. Never give up the future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Best position you want to be in. Sox may want move some of these guys to the BP. Never give up the future.

[/QUOTE]

I love our yound pitchers, and there are more than what was listed above:

Ranaudo

Webster

Workman

Britton

de la Rosa

Barnes

Wright

A Wilson

C Martin

Owens (May be ML ready by August)

L Diaz and more that are farther away

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love our yound pitchers, and there are more than what was listed above:

Ranaudo

Webster

Workman

Britton

de la Rosa

Barnes

Wright

A Wilson

C Martin

Owens (May be ML ready by August)

L Diaz and more that are farther away

[/QUOTE]

Did you forget about BALL!!! I guess you could include him in the "more that are farther away" huh? I like to include him because he still has the #7 pick in the draft shine and he's got a lot of upside. 

but a few more of those further away guys I like are Stenkiewicz, Kukuk (if he ever figures out his control issues he has a Barnes/Webster type ceiling), Myles smith, and even Brian Johnson.

A lot of people have forgotten about Johnson, a first round pick who didn't have a high ceiling but many people thought he had a really high floor.  He lost a season to injury but started to look good in minimal time last year. 

He presumably will start this year in Salem with an eye for Portland as well....much like the profile of Brandon Workman.  Actually Workman was at the same level at the same age as Johnson and had a similar profile. 

There are also a ton of Dominican pitchers that put up STUPID good numbers this year.  It was as if everyone had insanely low WHIP's and ERA's.....but that could be a result of it just being the Dominican league but still one has to wonder if one of these guys might really take off once they come state side. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

From what I read, Cherrington is very high on Hinojosa. He thinks he will contribute to Parent club this season.