A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Bottom line:   Ben has not improved the team this off season. The off season is not over, but at this moment we are not as good a team as the one that won the Series.   Now, is it still good enough to win again?    Possibly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

LaughingIn response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In honor of the Boston Red Sox winning this year's World Series, I decided (a month ago) to grow a beard.   Laughing

My goal is to look like Napoli (which will take me around three years  LOL).  

[/QUOTE]

How's the wife taking it?

[/QUOTE]

Hello moonslav59, how are you doing?  Laughing

She told me that I look funny.   LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bottom line:   Ben has not improved the team this off season. The off season is not over, but at this moment we are not as good a team as the one that won the Series.   Now, is it still good enough to win again?    Possibly.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have expected him to improve the team.  Pretty hard to improve on 97 wins, runaway division winner, 11-5 postseason, championship.

Coming close to last year's team would be an achievement considering all the financial issues with 4 starters going to free agency etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our pitching staff should be greatly improved over 2013 (on paper). For a WS champ to say that, to me, means we are still strongly in the hunt for another title.

12 Possible pluses:

1) Uehara as the closer all year.

2) Peavy here all year and taking away 20 starts from these 2013 SP numbers:

29 GS by Dempster  4.64/1.435  (ERA/WHIP)

7 GS by Webster  8.59/1.807

6 GS by Aceves  4.45/1.780

2 GS by Wright/Morales 7.50/1.350

3) Buchholz starting 15 more games and taking away from...

4) A healthy Morales

5) A healthy Miller

6) Full season from Workman

7) Full season from Britton

8) Mujica taking the relief innings away from:

30.1 Mortensen 5.34/1.582

28.2 Bailey 3.77/1.221

27.2 Wilson 4.88/1.735

15.1 Thornton 3.52/1.761

12.1 Wright 3.65/1.459

11.1 de la Rosa 5.56/1.500

11.1 de la Torre 6.35/1.765

10.0 Beato 3.60/1.400

7.1 Hanrahan 9.82/2.182

6.2 Doubront 14.85/3.150

6.2 Aceves 6.75/1.50 

Plus 4.2 IP  and 2 ERs by Dempster,Webster, Bard & Villareal

9) Bedenhop taking relief innings from:

28.2 Bailey 3.77/1.221

27.2 Wilson 4.88/1.735

15.1 Thornton 3.52/1.761

12.1 Wright 3.65/1.459

10.0 Beato 3.60/1.400

7.1 Hanrahan 9.82/2.182

6.2 Doubront 14.85/3.150

6.2 Aceves 6.75/1.50 

10) A better overall defensive catcher in Pierzynski, including CERA related areas.

11) A healthier Ross behind the plate.

12) Good prospects a year older and experienced waiting in the wings.

All 12 will not work out. Somebody will get hurt, but on paper, this staff looks stronger and deeper than the one that won this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I'd prefer to have a young OF with power in left but I'm ok starting where we are right now.  BP and starting depth are better than last year.  Through ST and AS game we can evaluate and then make moves with our depth, prospects.  Plus, we don't really know what seeds BC planted at the meetings...Not favoring putting Wright in potential deals until we have more time to figure out his ceiling.  KB'ers are so unique that I think many don't tally all possible benefits: eat up lots of innings if needed, can start or relieve, go on successive days, offer huge contrast to other starters on successive days, give fits to rhythm of batters/offense of teams who don't see them...think I'd pitch Wright in some way against every intraleague (right one?) foe in prep  for playoffs and WS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The line-up looks worse on paper, but don't be surprised if we score close the the same amount of runs.

Offense:

C: slight drop off 

1B: about the same (Maybe Naps improves, but Carp declines)

2B: I look for an improvement from 2013

3B: Hard to be any worse.

SS: Bogey has potential to blow Drew's offensive numbers away.

LF: A strict L/R 162 game platoon by Nava/Gomes could easily outdo 2013's LF numbers

CF: Could be a big drop off

RF: About the same

DH: Maybe a slight decline.

Fielding:

C: better

1b: same

2b: same

3b: better

SS: worse

LF: same

CF: about the same

RF: same

Overall: about the same, maybe better if we improve on Holt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• From MLBTR:
    •  
    • Red Sox catcher Ryan Lavarnway is aware of talks to eliminate home-plate collisions, but he'd prefer the rule to remain as it is, Tim Healey writes for MLB.com. "I've talked to a few of the other catchers, and I think that in general we all want to see [the rule] the way it is," Lavarnway said. "We think that [home-plate collisions are] a part of the game."
    • The A.J. Pierzynski signing appears to call Lavarnway's role with the 2014 Red Sox into question, Healey says. Pierzynski and David Ross are expected to handle Boston's catching duties next season.
    • The Orioles will struggle to keep Rule 5 draft selection Michael Almanzar on the 25-man roster for the entirety of 2014, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports. Like fellow Oriole Danny Valencia, Almanzar is limited to the infield corners and hits right handed. Almanzar has a .250/.302/.373 line in six minor-league seasons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I would have preferred that we give Carp more AB at 1st, by not signing Napoli. The guy was fine last year. He probably could produce more if given the chance. Napoli may well come back and hit .240 with 25 dingers and that just isn't worth the $16 mil. I do like his fielding though. I just would have moved on and taken the pick. It was a perfect opportunity to do so, as it is with Drew as well. This is supposed be be an excellent draft year. We should have maximized the picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If we focused on signing Tanaka or Kuroda we could then have traded Dempster / Peavy or Doubront for we talent we needed at 1st base and still have plenty of money to do at least one big FA deal like Choo. Notice that Tanaka would not have cost us a pick, as Napoli will. Billy Butler is being dangled by KC. We should have snapped him up. He would have been great in Fenway.

I think we still trade actually 2 starters. Morales and Dempster or Morales and Peavy. My bet is Morales and Dempster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would have preferred that we give Carp more AB at 1st, by not signing Napoli. The guy was fine last year. He probably could produce more if given the chance. Napoli may well come back and hit .240 with 25 dingers and that just isn't worth the $16 mil. I do like his fielding though. I just would have moved on and taken the pick. It was a perfect opportunity to do so, as it is with Drew as well. This is supposed be be an excellent draft year. We should have maximized the picks.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree, but I can see Ben's thinking on Naps vs Carp. We could have also signed someone like Loney and had the draft pick & Carp.

Yes, Napoli could hit .240 with 25, but he could also improve on his 2013 numbers by following his every 3rd year big year trend which is due in 2014:

2008: .273/.374/.586/.960

2011: .320/.414/.631/1.046

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we focused on signing Tanaka or Kuroda we could then have traded Dempster / Peavy or Doubront for we talent we needed at 1st base and still have plenty of money to do at least one big FA deal like Choo. Notice that Tanaka would not have cost us a pick, as Napoli will. Billy Butler is being dangled by KC. We should have snapped him up. He would have been great in Fenway.

I think we still trade actually 2 starters. Morales and Dempster or Morales and Peavy. My bet is Morales and Dempster.

Signing Choo would lose our top pick. Signing Napoli just gave back the sandwich pick we gained when he turned down the QO. Plus, Choo is not a good CF'er, so we'd be forced to move Victorino to CF or put Choo in LF. I do not think the Nava/Gomes platoon in LF is a weakness, and losing a draft pick & budget room for an upgrade to Choo in LF would not have been worth it. The only realistic set -up would be:

LF: Nava/Gomes (Carp)

CF: Victorino/JBJ

RF: Choo (Vict/Nava)

Maybe 2015:

LF: Nava/Choo (Carp)

CF: JBJ/Vict

RF: Vict/Choo (Brentz)

2016>>:

LF: Nava/Carp

CF: JBJ

RF: Choo/Brentz

I love Choo's projected OBP, but not his defense, not his pricetag and years, and not the loss of the valuable 1st roung pick which could be #24-27ish.

I'd still love for us to get Tanaka and trade 2 starters (Dempster, Morales or Peavy).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, every infielder not at first base would have five or more errors next season throwing to Billy Butler. The old tendancy to throw a big, power-hitting stiff at first base will never outperform a solid defensive firstbaseman. And Napoli was arguably the best defensive firstbaseman in the AL last year. And when you factor in the relative inexperience we are likely to field on the left side this year, first base defense becomes even more important. No thanks on Butler.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Within 3 minutes you go from wanting to get a 30's pick by letting Drew and Napoli walk because of the strength of the draft to saying you wanted to sign Kuroda and give up a 20's pick? Seems inconsistent.

It also should be mentioned that the odds we still get a pick from a signed Drew or Napoli is greater then the odds we get a pick from a signed Kuroda when their contracts are up. Kuroda is very old and Napoli and Drew are not. We could still get the picks for Naps and Drew.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester

Tanaka

Buchholz

Lackey

Doubront

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester

Tanaka

Buchholz

Lackey

Doubront

[/QUOTE]

I'll be very surprised to see Tanaka in that rotation, but even with Peavy in his spot, I like our rotation. Factor in Dempster (if he's still here), Webster, Workman and younger minor league depth and this is as deep a rotation as I can ever remember.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester

Tanaka

Buchholz

Lackey

Doubront

[/QUOTE]

I'll be very surprised to see Tanaka in that rotation, but even with Peavy in his spot, I like our rotation. Factor in Dempster (if he's still here), Webster, Workman and younger minor league depth and this is as deep a rotation as I can ever remember.

[/QUOTE]

I like our top 5 now too.

I also doubt we get Tanaka.

But, I like Tanaka much better than Peavy, and he'd solidify our rotation going into the future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Choo would have been in LF, Victorino in RF and JBJ in CF, with Gomes as a sub. In some RF situations Choo could have played RF well, as in Yankee stadium.

It seems like the Yanks will trade Gardner and possibly sign Choo as well. What an outfield they would have then. Choo, Ellsbury, Soriano, with Beltran, Wells and Ichiro as backups! Beltran probably the main DH I would think. That is a very potent lineup.

Who needs a 2nd baseman, a closer, a 3rd baseman, 2-3 starters...etc!

Something tells me the Yanks are going to pull out all the stops for Tanaka. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

Boom, every infielder not at first base would have five or more errors next season throwing to Billy Butler. The old tendancy to throw a big, power-hitting stiff at first base will never outperform a solid defensive firstbaseman. And Napoli was arguably the best defensive firstbaseman in the AL last year. And when you factor in the relative inexperience we are likely to field on the left side this year, first base defense becomes even more important. No thanks on Butler.

[/QUOTE]

I'll grant the defensive factor you are noting. Napoli is real solid and Xander will be a factor. Butler is a clearly superior offensive player though and is underated defensively. He is less than average defensively but not the potted plant people project him to be. Hosmer moved him off 1st, not necessity. Plus he would have been a lot cheaper than Napoli and KC does want to trade him. And Nava / Dempster/ Morales type players would have been excellent fits for them. KC wants to move Butler's salary but we would still have to pick up some of Dempsters. Nava, Dempster and Morales might have gotten that deal done if we ate 1/2 of Dempster's cost. Nava's 4 years of control is valuable and they need starters. Choo would have slotted right into Nava's spot in LF. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I've viewed the future of free agency and the future is not good! At least for baseball management! There really are not a lot of great options out there in the next 2 years counting this one. It made sense to lock up some talent. We have very little signed beyond next year. Lots of contracts are coming off the books. Can't replace everyone in one year very efficiently. Especially when contracts are projected to increase.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Choo would have been in LF, Victorino in RF and JBJ in CF, with Gomes as a sub. In some RF situations Choo could have played RF well, as in Yankee stadium.

It seems like the Yanks will trade Gardner and possibly sign Choo as well. What an outfield they would have then. Choo, Ellsbury, Soriano, with Beltran, Wells and Ichiro as backups! Beltran probably the main DH I would think. That is a very potent lineup.

Who needs a 2nd baseman, a closer, a 3rd baseman, 2-3 starters...etc!

Something tells me the Yanks are going to pull out all the stops for Tanaka. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. The Tanaka situation screams for Yankee overpay.

I really love Choo's high OBP, and he'd make a fine leadoff hitter for us, but I just don't see the point of choosing LF as our position to upgrade. Then, to lose our top draft pick to do so just adds to the feeling or saying "no".

The Nava/Gomes platoon, if allowed to actually do a strict platoon for 162 games, could put up numbers pretty close to Choo's at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Here's a look at the lefty-righty splits from 2010-2013:

OPS   vs RHPs  vs LHPs

Choo    .945      .638 (4th worst out of the top 61 OF'ers since 2010)

Nava   .833          *

Gomes              .874

OBP  vs RHPs  vs LHPs

Choo   .419      .304

Nava   .390

Gomes             .384

If we face righties at a 2:1 rate we could expect from Nava/Gomes something like this overall result:

OBP: .388

OPS  .847

And from Choo full time:

OBP: .385

OPS: .845

Now, if we rested Choo only vs LHPs (maybe 20 games) the overall LF numbers might be:

OBP: .395 to .400

OPS: .860 to -.870

I just don't see the upgrade being worth that much money, thiose many years, and the loss of our top pick.

As is, our LF might be our second best offensive position behind DH in 2014. In 2013, it was our 3rd best, but Nava and Gomes only started in LF 121 times.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll grant the defensive factor you are noting. Napoli is real solid and Xander will be a factor. Butler is a clearly superior offensive player though and is underated defensively. He is less than average defensively but not the potted plant people project him to be. Hosmer moved him off 1st, not necessity. Plus he would have been a lot cheaper than Napoli and KC does want to trade him. And Nava / Dempster/ Morales type players would have been excellent fits for them. KC wants to move Butler's salary but we would still have to pick up some of Dempsters. Nava, Dempster and Morales might have gotten that deal done if we ate 1/2 of Dempster's cost. Nava's 4 years of control is valuable and they need starters. Choo would have slotted right into Nava's spot in LF. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Butler as "clearly better" than Napoli on offense either.

OBP/SLG/OPS

2010-2013 Overall:

Napoli .357/.508/.865

Butler .374/.464/.838

Since OBP is worth more than SLG, one could argue they are about the same, but nobody is "clearly better" than the other.

Let's look at 2011-2013:

Napoli: .371/.523/.895

Butler: .369/.462/.831

Here, Naps beats Butler in OBP too.

2012-2013:

Napoli .353/.476/.829

Butler .373/.462/.836

OK, Butler has been better here, but not by much.

2013 alone:

Napoli .360/.481/.842

Butler .374/.412/.787

Here, the 14 point better OBP does not outweigh the 69 point SLG loss.

I like Napoli better. With the defense, it's not even close.

2010-2012 vs RHPs:

Napoli  .348/.498/.845

Butler  .370/.454/.824

2010-2013 vs LHPs:

Napoli: .377/.532/.908

Butler: .386/.495/.881

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino underwent nerve release surgery on his right thumb today, the club announced via press release. Boston expects Victorino to be ready to join the team for Spring Training. Victorino's thumb issues had limited him late in the Sox' title run last year, but it sounds as if the club's offseason plans will not be impacted at this point.

I always wonder why these surgeries aren't done a week after the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

How about Norm Zauchin, Vic Wertz, or Dick(stonefingers) Stuart?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Well Amp I don't recognize the first two but I avidly watched Stuart when I was a kid--around 1959?  I remember any ball hit to first, it was a complete adventure as to what was going to happen.  But put a piece of lumber in that man's hands, he was going to try to take a prodigious swing and jack that ball OUT.  Either way, there was some entertainment going on, all that we got in many lean years when NYY always won and we always finished 5th and said "Wait til next year!"  Hey didn't Wertz play for Cleveland?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

Our pitching staff should be greatly improved over 2013 (on paper). For a WS champ to say that, to me, means we are still strongly in the hunt for another title.

12 Possible pluses:

1) Uehara as the closer all year.

2) Peavy here all year and taking away 20 starts from these 2013 SP numbers:

3) Buchholz starting 15 more games and taking away from...

4) A healthy Morales

5) A healthy Miller

6) Full season from Workman

7) Full season from Britton

8) Mujica taking the relief innings away from:

28.2 Bailey 3.77/1.221

27.2 Wilson 4.88/1.735

15.1 Thornton 3.52/1.761

12.1 Wright 3.65/1.459

10.0 Beato 3.60/1.400

7.1 Hanrahan 9.82/2.182

6.2 Doubront 14.85/3.150

6.2 Aceves 6.75/1.50 

9) Bedenhop taking relief innings from:

28.2 Bailey 3.77/1.221

27.2 Wilson 4.88/1.735

15.1 Thornton 3.52/1.761

12.1 Wright 3.65/1.459

10.0 Beato 3.60/1.400

7.1 Hanrahan 9.82/2.182

6.2 Doubront 14.85/3.150

6.2 Aceves 6.75/1.50 

10) A better overall defensive catcher in Pierzynski, including CERA related areas.

11) A healthier Ross behind the plate.

12) Good prospects a year older and experienced waiting in the wings.

All 12 will not work out. Somebody will get hurt, but on paper, this staff looks stronger and deeper than the one that won this year.

[/QUOTE]

Would agree with this assesment. You know me its all about the PITCHING! RS shape to have one of its best staffs in recent memory. Now alot could happen. Peavy and Buchholz spend a lot of time on DL, Lester takes step back to 2012, Lackey not as good as 13, Dempster gets even older. But with prospects like Workman /Webster / Raunado/ Barnes/ Owens RS should be able to withstand alot. I still believe RS will move Morales and possibly Peavy or Dempster, Britton can do same role as Morales for much less.

Offense will miss Jacoby's talents. But if JBJ plays to his talent, his defense and OBP will soften the blow. But expect RS to hit into more DP's w/ Jacoby not around. That was the nice thing about him if he got on DP didn't stay intact very long. If WMB and Bogey hit well would agree RS offense could score just as many runs as 2013.

At least this year we don't go into season w/ anywhere near as many ?'s as we did last year! But can't expect everything to go right as it did in 2013 again- can we?