A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli is fine under a short-term deal... the mistake or the lack of options that will hurt us is not adding a real power threat. Napoli really offers no protection to Ortiz... though I suppose Carp is a real masher and would cause pitchers to pause in pitching around Ortiz?

lol. Not.

Anyhow we need a real 30+ homer threat batting clean-up or third.

[/QUOTE]

This notion that the Sox "need" a real 30+ home run threat is absurd.

The Red Sox scored by far and away the most runs in all of MLB last year and were elite in numerous other offensive categories.

How many guys on the team hit 30+ home runs? One. Besides Napoli, nobody else on the team hit 20+ home runs.

A deep lineup with no black holes and guys who can get on base will score runs. And lots of them.

By the way, home run power is so scarce that you can't just snap your fingers and get a guy on your team who is easily capable of hitting 30 or more home runs.

Only 14 guys in all of baseball had 30 or more home runs last year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli is fine under a short-term deal... the mistake or the lack of options that will hurt us is not adding a real power threat. Napoli really offers no protection to Ortiz... though I suppose Carp is a real masher and would cause pitchers to pause in pitching around Ortiz?

lol. Not.

Anyhow we need a real 30+ homer threat batting clean-up or third.

[/QUOTE]

This notion that the Sox "need" a real 30+ home run threat is absurd.

The Red Sox scored by far and away the most runs in all of MLB last year and were elite in numerous other offensive categories.

How many guys on the team hit 30+ home runs? One. Besides Napoli, nobody else on the team hit 20+ home runs.

A deep lineup with no black holes and guys who can get on base will score runs. And lots of them.

By the way, home run power is so scarce that you can't just snap your fingers and get a guy on your team who is easily capable of hitting 30 or more home runs.

Only 14 guys in all of baseball had 30 or more home runs last year. 

[/QUOTE]

That and the SF Giants won 2 WS and only hit 104 HR one year. Pitching is what won them the WS.

Sure HR are nice, but guys like Pedey & Vic around 15 each, Papi 30HR, Naps, Middy and Xander all have 20-25HR potential, Heck JBJ has 15-20HR potential. Thats a pretty balanced lineup as far as some Power goes. Will they all hit that many? Maybe, Maybe not, but that potential is very real.

The need to have a 30HR hitter is ridiculous. a bunch of 20HR hitters and a couple 25-30HR guys throughout the lineup is just fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm surprised there are even 14 guys hitting 30 HR currently. I sure would like another Ortiz level bat but I'd take a Tanaka instyead in a heartbeat.When you get in the playoffs you had better have at least 2 top starters ready to go or you are dogmeat. We can't count on having that situation every year even with the starters we currently have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

With all the buzz going on around Hanley, he may be everything we want in another top bat. I wouldn't rule Middlebrooks out either as being a big factor some years. HR power often comes in bunches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Did I read the other day that Boras thinks Bogaerts might be one of the top 5 players in the game soon? Are my eyeballs working correctly?

Wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did I read the other day that Boras thinks Bogaerts might be one of the top 5 players in the game soon? Are my eyeballs working correctly?

Wow.

[/QUOTE]

Boras always pumps up his clients, but since Bogey is a top rated prospect, why not play it up?

I wouldn't be shocked if by age 25-27 Bogey is one of the very best in MLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow.

[/QUOTE]

The potential is certainly there. Whether he realizes it, is yet to be determined.

For a 20-21yo to be that cool, calm, and collected on the biggest stage was impressive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow.

[/QUOTE]

The potential is certainly there. Whether he realizes it, is yet to be determined.

For a 20-21yo to be that cool, calm, and collected on the biggest stage was impressive.

[/QUOTE]

yes it was and i can't wait to see bogaerts next season...this kid is going to be special....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What if Bogey puts up Fred Lynn rookie numbers?

I'm not trying to set the bar too high for a let down, but I think he does have that capability, confidence, and opportunity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not trying to set the bar too high for a let down, but I think he does have that capability, confidence, and opportunity.

[/QUOTE]

to me bogey could get 21HRs easy not sure about the 100RBI...20-30 doubles playing in fenway is very posible for him...lynn had 47 thats kind of hard...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

to me bogey could get 21HRs easy not sure about the 100RBI...20-30 doubles playing in fenway is very posible for him...lynn had 47 thats kind of hard...

[/QUOTE]

Not only did Fred have 47 2Bs, he also had 7 3Bs!  WOW!

A .331 BA, .401 OBP, and 75 XBHs is a high bar to set, but I do think Bogey could come close. Do I think he will at age 21? No.

Fred was 23.

I do think Bogey could, best case scenario, have a Lynn-like impact on the 2014 Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not only did Fred have 47 2Bs, he also had 7 3Bs!  WOW!

A .331 BA, .401 OBP, and 75 XBHs is a high bar to set, but I do think Bogey could come close. Do I think he will at age 21? No.

Fred was 23.

I do think Bogey could, best case scenario, have a Lynn-like impact on the 2014 Sox.

[/QUOTE]

yeah..you look at what lynn did..man that was unreal...i think bogey is going to be a power hitter but he still has to fill in..i'm sure he is working out right now...no way he starts out in AAA this season...he will start at SS or 3B.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Guys, sometimes I just read your comments and the discussions are so well presented that I change my mind with each one.  This Drew situation is one.  I'll be ok with whichever way it falls out, but at this moment these points are winning me over: Moon, I liked your comparisons/contrasts of Drew, Middy, Bogey above showing not having Drew might not affect RS all that much.  Next, if the draft is stronger this year, then THIS year is the year for us to position ourselves.  Also, those here did a lot of talking last winter of RS doing everything possible through 2014 to position ourselves for strong drive in 2015.  Part of that was working in the kids.  It seems like we're on a precipice--we can stand pat, play it safe, pay high for vets--or take that leap to find out about who's ready, save payroll, move resources.  It appears between pitching excess and duplication in some positions we can cover any problems.  We're in a great place, but at some point guys are going to have to sink or swim.  RS have been slow in just giving guys a clear shot--Youk, Reddick, Iggy--but it's time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

PS.  It's not a bad time to break in several kids with leaders we have.  Read several times last summer about Vets working with Middy on mental approach, injuries, different at bats, etc.  I think our left fielder took him under his wing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys, sometimes I just read your comments and the discussions are so well presented that I change my mind with each one.  This Drew situation is one.  I'll be ok with whichever way it falls out, but at this moment these points are winning me over: Moon, I liked your comparisons/contrasts of Drew, Middy, Bogey above showing not having Drew might not affect RS all that much.  Next, if the draft is stronger this year, then THIS year is the year for us to position ourselves.  Also, those here did a lot of talking last winter of RS doing everything possible through 2014 to position ourselves for strong drive in 2015.  Part of that was working in the kids.  It seems like we're on a precipice--we can stand pat, play it safe, pay high for vets--or take that leap to find out about who's ready, save payroll, move resources.  It appears between pitching excess and duplication in some positions we can cover any problems.  We're in a great place, but at some point guys are going to have to sink or swim.  RS have been slow in just giving guys a clear shot--Youk, Reddick, Iggy--but it's time.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and if and when we trade Dempster or Peavy we will have the budget space to fill in a spot where a kid is not doing well enough.

We may also have some kids in AAA that are lighting up the place and who could come up and take over for a struggling youngster or vet.

Injury or player struggling:

3B: Cecchini (Holt/Snyder)

1B: Cecchini to 3B/Middy to 1B (or Carp/Nava/Snyder)

CF: Brentz to RF/ Victorino to CF

LF/RF: Brentz, Hassan, Linares

C: Lavarnway, Vazquez or Butler

SS: Holt/Meneses/McCoy

2B: Holt/Betts/Meneses/McCoy/Coyle

DH: Lavarnway, Cecchini, Betts, Coyle, Linares (Gomes/Nava)

SP: Workman, Britton, Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, Hinojosa, Owens

RP: Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Villareal, Wilson, Ely, Watanabe, Hernandez, Layne

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Bogaerts and Bradley might be so special that we can get back in the playoffs anyway. Pierzynsky will be better than advertised in my book as well. Our pitching should be strong. Very few things fell the way I wanted but we had such a strong core we probably will be ok anyway.

The biggest problem we will likely have is Papi protection. We will see. Hopefully someone will step up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Happy Hollidays everyone!  I truly enjoy all who enter here.  I agree with others that Ben may have one big move up his sleeve.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts and Bradley might be so special that we can get back in the playoffs anyway. Pierzynsky will be better than advertised in my book as well. Our pitching should be strong. Very few things fell the way I wanted but we had such a strong core we probably will be ok anyway.

The biggest problem we will likely have is Papi protection. We will see. Hopefully someone will step up.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone will pitch to Papi as they did in the playoffs, but a balanced approach did end up winning out this year.

I'm really pulling for Tanaka now. Trade Peavy and Dempster and further build up the farm. Maybe make a blockbuster deal from the farm to get that big piece (Stanton?) and be set for the longterm.

I'm not saying this is my choice of a plan, but what if...

Sign Tanaka.

Sign Drew.

Trade Peavy, Carp and Dempster for prospects.

Trade Middlebrooks and prospects for Stanton.

1) Victorino CF

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Ortiz DH

4) Stanton RF

5) Napoli 1B

6) Nava/Gomes LF

7) Bogaerts 3B

8) Drew SS

9) Pierzynski C

Bench: (Gomes/Nava), Ross, Herreira, Bradley

SP) Lester, Tanaka, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, Workman

RP) Uehara, Mujica, Breslow, Tazawa, Miller, Badenhop

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Happy Hollidays everyone!  I truly enjoy all who enter here.  I agree with others that Ben may have one big move up his sleeve.

[/QUOTE]

Happy Holidays to you and to all!

I'm happy with the team as is, but a good big move would be a nice surprise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone will pitch to Papi as they did in the playoffs, but a balanced approach did end up winning out this year.

I'm really pulling for Tanaka now. Trade Peavy and Dempster and further build up the farm. Maybe make a blockbuster deal from the farm to get that big piece (Stanton?) and be set for the longterm.

Sign Tanaka.

Sign Drew.

1) Victorino CF

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Ortiz DH

4) Stanton RF

5) Napoli 1B

6) Nava/Gomes LF

7) Bogaerts 3B

8) Drew SS

9) Pierzynski C

[/QUOTE]

Would it be easier to trade for Kemp than for Stanton? Would the Dodgers go for starting pitching help and to rid of high contract? Or is Kemp too risky at this time for Boston? Of course Dodgers may go all out for Tanaka first before doing anything else.

im just intrigued by Kemp playing 81 times a year in Fenway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sign Tanaka.

Sign Drew.

1) Victorino CF

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Ortiz DH

4) Stanton RF

5) Napoli 1B

6) Nava/Gomes LF

7) Bogaerts 3B

8) Drew SS

9) Pierzynski C

[/QUOTE]

Wow! Santa Claus strikes the Red Sox! I like it a lot!

Not that it will happen, but great plan anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Would it be easier to trade for Kemp than for Stanton? Would the Dodgers go for starting pitching help and to rid of high contract? Or is Kemp too risky at this time for Boston? Of course Dodgers may go all out for Tanaka first before doing anything else.

Well taking Kemp off the Dodger's hands could help them outbid us for Tanaka.

im just intrigued by Kemp playing 81 times a year in Fenway.

I like Kemp a lot, and I do not think he is all done, but he has had so many injuries, each of which can be career threatening or hampering.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Kemp's situation is incredibly risky. His injuries are not at all trivial. He is probably not the same player going forward. It's really a shame.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Kemp's situation is incredibly risky. His injuries are not at all trivial. He is probably not the same player going forward. It's really a shame.

[/QUOTE]

The softy jinx struck him hard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Well Moon, you know I want Stanton and Tanaka too.  What a Xmas that would be!  So how does the bidding work?  First you put up the 20 mil to bid--and then you have to outbid the other teams?  Would the fact we have other countrymen and WS hardware make a difference or are we competing against whims--he's always wanted "to wear pinstripes," he's always wanted to live in Ca., etc.  Do the NYY still have enough money to ante up?