A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

As much as I would like Stanton, I think getting Tanaka--if we only got one--would put us in the catbird seat for--the next seven to ten years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kemp's situation is incredibly risky. His injuries are not at all trivial. He is probably not the same player going forward. It's really a shame.

[/QUOTE]

The softy jinx struck him hard.

[/QUOTE]

HA! I thought of that also. The kiss of Softy hit hard!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Softy gave Kemp a big ol Smooch and BAM, down falls the tree!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Tanaka is now going to be one rich dude! I wouldn't be surprised if it blows right past $120 mil for him. After the $20 mil fee even. It could be $150 mil. The guy doesn't count against the luxury tax limit which is huge plus he doesn't cost a pick so add $10 mil there. And he's 25 years old folks and in his prime.

They may go 7-8 years on this guy. I'd go up to 7 years and $120 mil for him. Special player in my book.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Personally I'd let the Stanton thing go. It's ridiculous how much talent they want for him. And the guy gets injured a lot. He's a hamstring injury waiting to happen.

Just last year alone:

9/8/2013RF(Left game - sore right foot and ankle)Day to day.9/1/2013RF(Right ankle)Day to day.4/30/2013RF(Strained right hamstring)off 15-day DL4/12/2013RF(Left shoulder soreness)Day to day.

He's a high strung, premium athlete who is going to have muscle pulls and such for ever. The guy is wound tight. And the Marlins would want half our farm to give him up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Tanaka is now going to be one rich dude! I wouldn't be surprised if it blows right past $120 mil for him. After the $20 mil fee even. It could be $150 mil. The guy doesn't count against the luxury tax limit which is huge plus he doesn't cost a pick so add $10 mil there. And he's 25 years old folks and in his prime.

They may go 7-8 years on this guy. I'd go up to 7 years and $120 mil for him. Special player in my book.

[/QUOTE]

Just the $20M doesn't count against the luxury limit. His huge contract will, so we will likely have to trade Peavy and Dempster to clear the budget space.

Fine with me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Getting Tanaka means outbidding the Yankees, the Cubs and whoever else is in on him.  The total price could blow past $150 million.  The Sox are not going to be in on this unless it's to drive the price up.  It's just too much money for an unproven property.  Remember that Dice-K was supposed to be the 'Japanese Pedro'.  Dice-K was a legend in Japan and ultimately 2-time WBC MVP, yet a major bust for the Sox.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Getting Tanaka means outbidding the Yankees, the Cubs and whoever else is in on him.  The total price could blow past $150 million.  The Sox are not going to be in on this unless it's to drive the price up.  It's just too much money for an unproven property.  Remember that Dice-K was supposed to be the 'Japanese Pedro'.  Dice-K was a legend in Japan and ultimately 2-time WBC MVP, yet a major bust for the Sox.   

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...it's impossible not to recall that we heard very similar hype about Matsuzaka as we are now hearing about Tanaka. "Best pitcher in the world," etc.

Plus, I've read that the Sox see him probably only as a #3 type? Hard to see them committing the type of money it would take to land him if that's the case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...it's impossible not to recall that we heard very similar hype about Matsuzaka as we are now hearing about Tanaka. "Best pitcher in the world," etc.

Plus, I've read that the Sox see him probably only as a #3 type? Hard to see them committing the type of money it would take to land him if that's the case.

[/QUOTE]

We are paying $14M for our #5 starter (Peavy) and $13.25M for our #6 starter (Dempster). 

Doing the math, I come up with about $16-19M for a #3.

If we trade Peavy and Dempster, we'd have more than enough to pay Tanaka, have some luxury limit budget room to make a move in July, and have a couple nice prospects in return for our 2 starters from desperate GMs seeking SP'ers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We are paying $14M for our #5 starter (Peavy) and $13.25M for our #6 starter (Dempster). 

If we trade Peavy and Dempster, we'd have more than enough to pay Tanaka, have some luxury limit budget room to make a move in July, and have a couple nice prospects in return for our 2 starters from desperate GMs seeking SP'ers.

[/QUOTE]

I would not necessarily be opposed to that kind of AAV if the years did not get out of hand.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

didn't the red sox say they could go over the tax if it was the right kind of signing?...well i think this is right....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Replace Peavy & Dempster with Tanaka + $7-11M luxury limit space for July.

Add a young arm for the other slot.

Add prospects to the farm as payment for trading Peavy & Dempster.

Sounds like we should make a strong run at this guy, and even if we lose out to the Yanks or Dodgers, at least we may have helped raise the price for them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes but of course we only have Peavy and Dempster on the books for one season.  The risk on Tanaka obviously comes from the number of years, not his annual salary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes but of course we only have Peavy and Dempster on the books for one season.  The risk on Tanaka obviously comes from the number of years, not his annual salary.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course, as is any longterm deal, but especially for a guy who has never pitched in MLB, however, we lose a lot of salary after 2014, so we'd still be okay even if he was no better than a solid #3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Who can predict for sure what this guy will (or won't) be at the MLB level but everyone and everything I've read says he's the real deal--and several clips I've watched of his slider are nasty.  Shouldn't judge all by what Dice-K accomplished.  I agree if RS evaluators think he's a #1 or even a#2 (in my book) we should go hard for him.   Pitching is expensive but first it's the key to winning and second is it going to get cheaper?  With all this fanfare, the big guns can't believe he's a three...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not saying the Red Sox shouldn't be interested in Tanaka, of course they should.  I just don't think he's a realistic target.  I'm not sure people appreciate what a bidding war this could turn out to be, with the Yankees and Cubs reportedly very motivated and a bunch of other wealthier teams also interested.  It has all the makings of getting crazy.  The Red Sox just freed themselves from some burdensome long-term contracts in 2012 and are in a great position at the moment, with a lot of promising pitching prospects.  Also they have to deal with an extension for Lester.  I can't see them playing the 'last man standing' game for Tanaka...it just doesn't make sense to me. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

You can only go by comparable, past performance and Tanaka has much better walk ratio per 9 than Dice K when you compare their stats in Japan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

8 years and $200 million for Tanaka, but he'll have to start the season at Pawtucket and learn the Red Sox regimen for pitchers between starts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Red Sox Notes: Lester, Drew, Tanaka By  Mark Polishuk [December 26 at 9:52pm CST]

Jon Lester is entering his last season under contract with the Red Sox and Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal explores what it might cost Boston to re-sign Lester to a new multiyear deal.  Lester will be 31 on Opening Day 2015, so MacPherson uses the age 31-34 years of Cole Hamels' contract as a model, adding a guaranteed fifth to propose a five-year, $100MM extension for Lester.  While Lester re-established his value in the postseason and the Sox have been willing to lock up homegrown players, MacPherson also wonders if the club is confident enough in its young pitching depth to let Lester go rather than pay him a big salary through that would be his decline years.

Here are some more Red Sox-related items, all from Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe...

• The Red Sox currently hold all the leverage on Stephen Drew, and that leverage could become "a hammer," Abraham writes.  Since Boston seems willing to wait out Drew's market, the relative lack of interest in the veteran infielder makes Abraham believe the Sox could offer Drew a one-year, "take it or leave it" type of offer if Drew is still unsigned by mid-January.  If Drew turns the offer down, the Sox will be content with collecting the compensatory draft pick when Drew signs elsewhere, and Boston's desire for those valuable picks could make them pass on Drew anyway, Abraham notes.
    • "There is no sign yet that the Red Sox are interested" in Masahiro Tanaka.  As Abraham notes, Boston's young pitching depth and recent trend away from big-money free agent deals would seem to hint against a move, and signing Tanaka could impact a possible Lester extension.
    • Abraham cites Jesse Crain as "an interesting name" for the Sox considering Crain's history with pitching coach Juan Nieves and new catcher A.J. Pierzynski.  The Cubs, Astros and Rockies are a few of the teams known to have an interest in Crain this offseason.  Abraham opines that the Red Sox need bullpen depth since he doesn't thinkKoji Uehara will be as durable following Uehara's career-high 73 games and 74 1/3 innings pitched in 2013.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Hey Jid, are you going to be our #1 journalist in Ft. Myers this spring?  I certainly hope so as those reports made me feel really on top of the RS scene, the "feel" as well as the facts.  I'm going down for my Feb. vacation but alas it's one week before the games begin.  I may drive over from FM Beach, my friend's house, to see the park.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey Jid, are you going to be our #1 journalist in Ft. Myers this spring?  I certainly hope so as those reports made me feel really on top of the RS scene, the "feel" as well as the facts.  I'm going down for my Feb. vacation but alas it's one week before the games begin.  I may drive over from FM Beach, my friend's house, to see the park.

[/QUOTE]

Heading down on Feb 25, back on Mar 30. Just sent the check today for all 17 home games. I should have the chromebook with me again this year to do updates. I actually enjoyed writing them as I had lots of downtime at night last winter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looking forward to your insights again, jid.

I wish I could go too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Offense: A Look Back & A Look Ahead

BA  HR  RBI  (OBP/SLG/OPS)

Catcher:

Salty and his .804 OPS is gone. Ross missed a lot of 2013, and Lavarnway did okay with his bat, but showed no signs of improving behind the plate.

2013: .270  19  89  (.334/.453/.787)

2014: .260  20  85  (.310/.440/.750)

Pierzynski joins the club, and hopefull Ross stays healthy all year. AJ may be 37 next year, but he has over 497 PAs for 11 straight seasons. There may be a learning curve, but AJ should be better than Salty with the staff, better on defense, and possibly close to the same on offense. His OPS over the last 3 seasons were .722, .827, and .728. Maybe Fenway can help him have a season nearer to .800 than .725. Ross hits righties as well as lefties, so they should make a nice pair for 2014. Lavarnway, Butler or Vazquez could play some.

First Base:

Napoli was a bit streaky, as always, but had a decent year at the plate. His fielding was shockingly good. Carp did well on offense as well as brief stints by Nava and Ortiz.

2013: .262  26  106  (.361/.480/.841)

2014: .270  30  110  (.360/.500/.860)

Some look at Napoli's high BAbip in 2013 and expect him to "come down to earth", but Napoli had his best LD% of his career by a long shot. He's been pretty consistently around the .825 mark, but every 3 years he has spiked with a big offensive year. Well, this is year 3. Carp may not hit as well as he did in 2013, but he should do okay. Papi may play some in NL parks, and Nava may see more time at 1B in 2014. Middlebrooks could also end up here, if Naps gets hurt and we get a SS that allows Bogey to move to 3B. I'm may be in the minority, but I see a slightly better season from 1B than 2013.

Second Base

Pedroia actually had a down season, but he had 723 of the 739 PAs at 2B in 2013. I expect Pedey to have a big year in 2014.

2013: .302  9  84  (.372/.414/.786)

2014: .300  15  95  (.375/.445/.820)

Pedey turns 31 in 2014. He's still in his prime. His career OPS is .823.

Third Base

3B was a weak spot in 2013. Middlebrooks battled injuries and perhaps confidence issues. Maybe ML pitchers figure him out- maybe not. The fact is, his 2013 was nothing like his 2012. Unless we sign Drew and move Bogey to 3B, it looks like Middlebrooks will be given every opportunity to show the 2012 Middy.

2013: .242  20 79  (.288/.395/.683)

2014: .250  25  90  (.300/.480/.780)

I'm looking for a bounce back from Middlebrooks, and if he struggles, I look for some positive input from Cecchini.

Short Stop

Drew is likely gone, and Iggy is gone. We got some good offense from the SS position and good defense as well.

2013: .263  14  81  (.340/.431/.771)

2014: .285  20  90  (.345/.445/.790)

Bogey will be give a long look at SS. Although I think Bogey will someday end up at 3B, there is a good chance Ben sees him as out longterm SS. Bogey has the potential to bring more offense to SS, but his defense will take time to approach what we got in 2013 from Drew & Iggy.

Left Field:

The Nava/Gomes platoon was not given a full opportunity to manefest itself as Nava had to cover RF for Victorino and 1B a few games as well. Carp ended up with 121 PAs as a left fielder and helped bring up the LF OPS. 

2013:  .278  18  101  (.356/.434/.790)

2014:  .290  25  115  (.375/.455/.830)

Nava hist RHPs very well. Gomes had an off year in 2013 vs LHPs, but has been one of MLBs best hitters vs lefties over recent years. I am expecting a closer to strict platoon in LF, and much better numbers.

Center Field

Ellsbury had a nice season. His defense, speed and offense will be sorely missed. I don't want to minimize his speed, but he had just the 9th best OPS on the team in 2013 (7th best among players with 470+ PAs). Maybe JBJ can come close to that OPS. Maybe JBJ can give us equal defense, but he will not replace the speed and all that goes with the havoc Jacoby caused to opposing pitchers.

2013: .292  13  65  (.348/.425/.774 and 54 SB and only 4 CS)

2014: .275  10  60  (.345/.415/.760)

JBJ is one of the 2014 wildcards along with Bogey and Middy. It's hard for anyone to try and project what we will get from CF next year.

Right Field

Shane was a fantastic addition to the team. His defense was spectacular. He stole 17 bases with only 3 CS. His .815 OPS was very nice. The one big issue was his 107 games played. Nava got 240 PAs in RF.

2013: .285  20  86  (.350/.436/.786)

2014: .295  20  96  (.355/.455/.810)

I expect a healthier season from Shane.

Designated Hitter

Papi got 575 of the 681 DH PAs in 2013. 

2013:  .310  33  110  (.398/.560/.958)

2014:  .300  30  110  (.390/.550/.940)

It's hard to project better health from Papi. I'll go with close to the same.

I would not be at all surprised if we score close to the ame amount of runs in 2014 as 2013.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

Offense: A Look Back & A Look Ahead

BA  HR  RBI  (OBP/SLG/OPS)

Catcher:

Salty and his .804 OPS is gone. Ross missed a lot of 2013, and Lavarnway did okay with his bat, but showed no signs of improving behind the plate.

2013: .270  19  89  (.334/.453/.787)

2014: .260  20  85  (.310/.440/.750)

Pierzynski joins the club, and hopefull Ross stays healthy all year. AJ may be 37 next year, but he has over 497 PAs for 11 straight seasons. There may be a learning curve, but AJ should be better than Salty with the staff, better on defense, and possibly close to the same on offense. His OPS over the last 3 seasons were .722, .827, and .728. Maybe Fenway can help him have a season nearer to .800 than .725. Ross hits righties as well as lefties, so they should make a nice pair for 2014. Lavarnway, Butler or Vazquez could play some.

First Base:

Napoli was a bit streaky, as always, but had a decent year at the plate. His fielding was shockingly good. Carp did well on offense as well as brief stints by Nava and Ortiz.

2013: .262  26  106  (.361/.480/.841)

2014: .270  30  110  (.360/.500/.860)

Some look at Napoli's high BAbip in 2013 and expect him to "come down to earth", but Napoli had his best LD% of his career by a long shot. He's been pretty consistently around the .825 mark, but every 3 years he has spiked with a big offensive year. Well, this is year 3. Carp may not hit as well as he did in 2013, but he should do okay. Papi may play some in NL parks, and Nava may see more time at 1B in 2014. Middlebrooks could also end up here, if Naps gets hurt and we get a SS that allows Bogey to move to 3B. I'm may be in the minority, but I see a slightly better season from 1B than 2013.

Second Base

Pedroia actually had a down season, but he had 723 of the 739 PAs at 2B in 2013. I expect Pedey to have a big year in 2014.

2013: .302  9  84  (.372/.414/.786)

2014: .300  15  95  (.375/.445/.820)

Pedey turns 31 in 2014. He's still in his prime. His career OPS is .823.

Third Base

3B was a weak spot in 2013. Middlebrooks battled injuries and perhaps confidence issues. Maybe ML pitchers figure him out- maybe not. The fact is, his 2013 was nothing like his 2012. Unless we sign Drew and move Bogey to 3B, it looks like Middlebrooks will be given every opportunity to show the 2012 Middy.

2013: .242  20 79  (.288/.395/.683)

2014: .250  25  90  (.300/.480/.780)

I'm looking for a bounce back from Middlebrooks, and if he struggles, I look for some positive input from Cecchini.

Short Stop

Drew is likely gone, and Iggy is gone. We got some good offense from the SS position and good defense as well.

2013: .263  14  81  (.340/.431/.771)

2014: .285  20  90  (.345/.445/.790)

Bogey will be give a long look at SS. Although I think Bogey will someday end up at 3B, there is a good chance Ben sees him as out longterm SS. Bogey has the potential to bring more offense to SS, but his defense will take time to approach what we got in 2013 from Drew & Iggy.

Left Field:

The Nava/Gomes platoon was not given a full opportunity to manefest itself as Nava had to cover RF for Victorino and 1B a few games as well. Carp ended up with 121 PAs as a left fielder and helped bring up the LF OPS. 

2013:  .278  18  101  (.356/.434/.790)

2014:  .290  25  115  (.375/.455/.830)

Nava hist RHPs very well. Gomes had an off year in 2013 vs LHPs, but has been one of MLBs best hitters vs lefties over recent years. I am expecting a closer to strict platoon in LF, and much better numbers.

Center Field

Ellsbury had a nice season. His defense, speed and offense will be sorely missed. I don't want to minimize his speed, but he had just the 9th best OPS on the team in 2013 (7th best among players with 470+ PAs). Maybe JBJ can come close to that OPS. Maybe JBJ can give us equal defense, but he will not replace the speed and all that goes with the havoc Jacoby caused to opposing pitchers.

2013: .292  13  65  (.348/.425/.774 and 54 SB and only 4 CS)

2014: .275  10  60  (.345/.415/.760)

JBJ is one of the 2014 wildcards along with Bogey and Middy. It's hard for anyone to try and project what we will get from CF next year.

Right Field

Shane was a fantastic addition to the team. His defense was spectacular. He stole 17 bases with only 3 CS. His .815 OPS was very nice. The one big issue was his 107 games played. Nava got 240 PAs in RF.

2013: .285  20  86  (.350/.436/.786)

2014: .295  20  96  (.355/.455/.810)

I expect a healthier season from Shane.

Designated Hitter

Papi got 575 of the 681 DH PAs in 2013. 

2013:  .310  33  110  (.398/.560/.958)

2014:  .300  30  110  (.390/.550/.940)

It's hard to project better health from Papi. I'll go with close to the same.

I would not be at all surprised if we score close to the ame amount of runs in 2014 as 2013.

[/QUOTE]

this is the kind of stuff i like to read..good job moon...

and for victorino the guy plays all out..he will get hurt..but let's hope it's only minor...but you can expect it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'd rather have Tanaka than Lester going forward. He's much younger and his main out pitch has  shown to be superior at helping pitchers be successful as they age. He has possibly the best forkball in baseball. The Redsox of all teams should appreciate that ability, and almost no one in mlb has seen him pitch so he should be devastating for the next 2-3 years in particular.

It's a tough call though. And I bet more people would take Lester. He's a proven commodity and healthy. Durable. Left handed. He has a lot going for him, including playoff success. I might even change my mind if I keep talking!

Tanaka has had some pretty tough use. a lot of wear and tear recently.

Word is the poor guy has agreed to pay Rakuten for his release. It's ridiculous the economic slavery conditions Japanese players are subjected to.