A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

I know plenty of BIG guys who carry their weight very well, also know many who have added some LB's and have trouble walking up a small grade. I don't care what his weight is per say. I just have a problem when he's not able to pitch due to conditioning issues and that he is yet to throw 190-200 IP. If he goes out and throws 200 IP the next 3 yrs, I don't care what his weight is, I'll be happy. I would never trade this kid at this point way too much upside, but need to see him do his part, because obviously some in RS organization not happy w/ his conditioning coming into camp or we wouldn't be hearing these things. Also conditioning can have an effect on Walk rates, whats the 1st thing that starts to happen when a pitcher starts to tire? He walks guys or give up some solid contact because he falls behind and has to find center of plate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

But, of course, then there's John Lackey. With the TJ Surgery duly noted, my man lost 20-30 lbs, looked like he's in the best shape of his life, and pitched like It. I think it definetly helped him, but that's just my opinion. I never found Doubront to be over weigh, just out of shape... Fine line but there's a difference. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Tigers and shortstop Jose Iglesias have agreed to a one-year, $1.65MM contract, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter link). Though Iglesias is not yet arbitration eligible, his salary needed to be determined following completion of his original four-year, $8.25MM Major League contract signed with the Red Sox. Iglesias is represented by Scott Boras.

The 23-year-old Iglesias finished second in the Rookie of the Year voting after batting a combined .303/.349/.386 between the Red Sox and Tigers in 2013, but his offense predictably slipped with the Tigers. Most of damage at the plate with the Sox was the result of a .376 average on balls in play, and that number fell to .320 in Detroit while his strikeout rate jumped by eight percent. Iglesias wasn't acquired for his bat, however, and the Tigers are valuing him based on an elite glove at shortstop that he should have no trouble maintaining for years to come.

Barring a long-term deal, Iglesias will be in for a similar salary next offseason, as he won't be arbitration eligible until the 2015-16 offseason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have to admit, it really irked me bigtime when he came to ST out of shape his first year he had his big chance. Maybe I overreacted on making judgements about him, and maybe there was an underlying issue that might have made the situation more understandable. 

Don.'t assume working out or being out of shape is important to a pitcher, IMO the evidence is not there.

"The list of overweight pitchers who have been successful include Babe Ruth, Early Wynn, Mickey Lolich, Rick Reuschel, David Wells and Bartolo Colon.

Leo Mazzone, a former pitching coach for the Atlanta Braves who tutored all shapes and sizes in his 32-year career, said that if it was not broke, don’t diet.

“He needs to gain 25 pounds back,” said Mazzone, who dispenses his pitching theories as a co-host on a daily sports radio show in Atlanta and on the Atlanta Braves’ radio network pregame show.

“Somebody probably told him if he loses weight, he’ll have more longevity,” Mazzone said. “Well guess what? I’d rather have effectiveness.”

Mazzone said that through the years, he found that pitchers had weight and fitness levels they were comfortable with. Dieting to reach ideal weights and working out to develop muscle tone do not necessarily help them pitch their best.

“In anything in sports, you have to find a happy medium,” Mazzone said. “It’s based on common sense.”http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/sports/baseball/for-yankees-sabathia-it-appears-less-weight-is-less-success.html?_r=0

Greg Maddux, the Braves’ four-time Cy Young Award winner, Mazzone added, “wasn’t muscle-bound, that’s for sure.”

Dan Plesac, who pitched in the major leagues for 18 years, said that better conditioning did not always equal a better performance. At 6-5, he struggled to keep his weight at 220 pounds.

“In 1993, I signed as a free agent with the Cubs, and they had a killer strength and conditioning program,” said Plesac, now an analyst for MLB Network. “I was in the best shape of my life. But it didn’t increase my velocity, and I didn’t have a very good year.”

Plesac said better conditioning did help him extend his career and feel better.

“But it won’t equate to having a 2.10 E.R.A. or a 4.00 E.R.A.,” said Plesac, who played with Wells in Toronto.

“A large majority of people thought that if David Wells would have gotten himself in better shape, he would have had a better career than he had,” Plesac said. “I’m not as convinced that being in super-tiptop shape for a pitcher is the difference between being a great pitcher or a good pitcher.”

[/QUOTE]

I never meant to imply that Doubront needs to be muscle bound or a marathon runner, but I do believe most pitchers do better if they are better conditioned. They are also probably less likely to get injured fielding balls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 21h

#RedSox invited Barnes, Cecchini, Hinojosa, Marrero, Owens, Ramirez, Ranaudo, Shaw, Swihart and Vazquez to their rookie program in Boston

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here was behind Doubront more than me last year but he just had a solid year and young, controllable pitching is in tremendous demand. And he did fade in the end of the year except for a short comeback in the playoffs. He does appear to have conditioning issues and this has been a recurring issue. And he should be past those by now. I've been following him since he had about a 1.71 ERA as a 17 year old in the Venezuelan league. I don't take trading him lightly and I would consider him excellent value.

For example, as badly as I wanted us to man 1st base with Billy Butler instead of spending the money to sign Napoli, i wouldn't have traded 3 years of low cost control over Doubront for 2 years of control of a hitter like Billy Butler. But I would trade absolutely anyone in the right deal. 

We are far more likely to trade Dempster or Peavy but to get someone we want badly we might have to trade Doubront. We have lots of young starter arms in AAA ball. Now is probably a good time to consider trading any of our secondary starters, like Dempster and Doubront or Dempster and Peavy. If the deal is right. We have Workman, Ranaudo, Delarosa, Webster, Barnes, Wright, Britton...etc. and we may well sign a FA pitcher ourselves.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. The preference is not to deal the guy with 4 years of team control at low cost, but that is also what makes Doubront more valuable to another team. If we could package Doubront with some blocked or mid-level prospects for something very special, then of course we need to strongly consider trading him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 21h

#RedSox invited Barnes, Cecchini, Hinojosa, Marrero, Owens, Ramirez, Ranaudo, Shaw, Swihart and Vazquez to their rookie program in Boston

[/QUOTE]

Swihart is kind of a surprise there. Why would they bring him up already? He's just now beginning in AA ball. Do they think it's possible that he might get a call up this coming year? Marrero and Owens as well. What this is saying is that both guys are so good they think it's possible the could even make the leap next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Wow, Noe Ramirez gets a call for the rookie development program? It just hit me. Good for him!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The rookie program does not man these gusy are going to be called up during the 2014 season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

The rookie program does not man these gusy are going to be called up during the 2014 season.

[/QUOTE]

But also means there is a possibility. Otherwise why not wait til next year? If Swihart were to do big things at Portland outside shot he might get a Sept. callup just to get feet wet. Not saying its going to happen - just a possibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But also means there is a possibility. Otherwise why not wait til next year? If Swihart were to do big things at Portland outside shot he might get a Sept. callup just to get feet wet. Not saying its going to happen - just a possibility.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe they just think he needs more work. Other players might have a better chance of playing with the big club this year but were not invited due to already playing in a winter league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

They say that they put prospects in this program if there is a chance they might get called up to the big club at some point during the year. I would think 1/2 of these guys might get a call up at some point. Maybe more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They say that they put prospects in this program if there is a chance they might get called up to the big club at some point during the year. I would think 1/2 of these guys might get a call up at some point. Maybe more.

I seriously doubt Swihart gets a chance in 2014, unless we are decimated by catcher injuries.

I guess there may be a plan to trade Lavarnway, which would increase the chance, but seriously, if Swihart really has a chance to play with Boston in 2014, why is Butler still on the 40 man roster?

Pierzynski

Ross

Lavarnway

Butler/Vazquez

Swihart

Denny

I'm sure there are some players Sox management thinks have a chance but were not invited due to already playing winter ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If Swihart comes up it's probably in September right, but it''s still a call up. It would seem unlikely but apparently it's possible. As with Ramirez, Marrero...etc.

It seems pretty likely that one of Lavarnway, Butler, Vasquez is traded. I would think Butler but if the get a good offer for Lavarnway or Vasquez I'm fine with it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

If Swihart comes up it's probably in September right, but it''s still a call up. It would seem unlikely but apparently it's possible. As with Ramirez, Marrero...etc.

It seems pretty likely that one of Lavarnway, Butler, Vasquez is traded. I would think Butler but if the get a good offer for Lavarnway or Vasquez I'm fine with it.

[/QUOTE]

I have always thought that the main reason Butler was still on the 40 man roster was because we did not feel Swihart would be ready by 2014, and maybe even Vazquez as well. We lost Almanzar by keeping Butler... for what then? So we have a capable AAA catcher to back-up Lavarnway?

You may be right about a trade of a catcher being on the horizon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Quite a few analysts think Butler is better than Lavarnway. I sincerely doubt it but it's just my opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

This was probably one of the best podcasts I've heard regarding the prospects:

http://www.soxprospects.com/podcast/2014-0106.mp3

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Two interesting facts   Laughing

#1. The Mets paid Bobby Bonilla more in 2013 than what the Angels paid Trout. 

#2. Can you guess the name of the player who the Angels got as a draft pick from the Yankees for losing Teixeira in free agency?  Answer is below..........

Mike Trout   Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Quite a few analysts think Butler is better than Lavarnway. I sincerely doubt it but it's just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

Better defensively.

Maybe with Ross being so fragile, Ben sees the need to keep both of these catchers, but with Vazquez, Swihart and Denny rising through the ranks, someone may be squeezed out this season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's a better line-up ve RHPs?

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Nava

6) Bogaerts

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

or

1) Nava

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) Napoli

6) Bogaerts

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Nava

6) Bogaerts

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

or

1) Nava

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) Napoli

6) Bogaerts

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

[/QUOTE]

I think:

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Bogaerts

6) Nava

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Nava

6) Bogaerts

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

or

1) Nava

2) Victorino

3) Pedroia

4) Ortiz

5) Napoli

6) Bogaerts

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

[/QUOTE]

I think:

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Bogaerts

6) Nava

7) Middlebrooks

8) Pierzynski

9) Bradley

[/QUOTE]

Maybe vs RHPs, Nava would be better #1.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

You look to be right on that Moon. It's a no brainer against LH pitchers with Victorino probably. I think that is probably how it ends up.

Lots of prospect people think JBJ is potentially a #1 or 2 at some point this year. I think that is a lot of pressure to put on him already. 

Cechinni lkooks to be a 1 or 2 at some point possibly. Maybe in 2015 or 2016.