A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From what I read, Cherrington is very high on Hinojosa. He thinks he will contribute to Parent club this season.

[/QUOTE]

I left him off the list, because I know very little about him. If he is ML ready this year, that makes 11 or more pitchers that could see time in our pen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

My prediction of where Boston's free agents will end up    Laughing

Ellsbury:  Seattle

Salty: Toronto

Napoli: Texas

Drew: St. Louis

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I was talking about mlb ready starters, or prospects at least close to that status. 

All the talk about us not going after pitchers but it seemed like they at least tried to sign Hudson. It's interesting what the going rate was for a quality starter coming off an ankle fracture injury at 38 / 39 years old. Top starters are definitely not going to be cheap. And we are setting in the catbird's seat in that regard. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It totally makes sense to trade one of our starters this year and live with a #5 from Workman / Webster ...etc. As much as I would prefer Workman in the pen, I think they trade a starter this year simply because they are of high value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if they trade any of that starting pitching depth they have in the minors. Ranaudo, Webster, Delarosa, Barnes, Britton? That's 5 potentially mlb ready starters by year end. I'd say Wright also but could we get anything for him even though I do think he's of value. We have Owens coming up soon after them, maybe even next fall if necessary but they probably want to give him at least another year in the minors.

We can't keep everyone. Roster issues alone force our hand some maybe even this winter. 

[/QUOTE]
    Best position you want to be in. Sox may want move some of these guys to the BP. Never give up the future.

[/QUOTE]

I love our yound pitchers, and there are more than what was listed above:

Ranaudo

Webster

Workman

Britton

de la Rosa

Barnes

Wright

A Wilson

C Martin

Owens (May be ML ready by August)

L Diaz and more that are farther away

[/QUOTE]

Did you forget about BALL!!! I guess you could include him in the "more that are farther away" huh? I like to include him because he still has the #7 pick in the draft shine and he's got a lot of upside. 

but a few more of those further away guys I like are Stenkiewicz, Kukuk (if he ever figures out his control issues he has a Barnes/Webster type ceiling), Myles smith, and even Brian Johnson.

A lot of people have forgotten about Johnson, a first round pick who didn't have a high ceiling but many people thought he had a really high floor.  He lost a season to injury but started to look good in minimal time last year. 

He presumably will start this year in Salem with an eye for Portland as well....much like the profile of Brandon Workman.  Actually Workman was at the same level at the same age as Johnson and had a similar profile. 

There are also a ton of Dominican pitchers that put up STUPID good numbers this year.  It was as if everyone had insanely low WHIP's and ERA's.....but that could be a result of it just being the Dominican league but still one has to wonder if one of these guys might really take off once they come state side. 

[/QUOTE]

Johnson is projected to start in AA, as well he should. Kid looks like a good middle/back rotation starter that can eat some innings. too bad he got beaned in the melon, which slowed things down. Id expect at least 120+IP from him this year in Portland.

On the not-so-close, but honorable mentions I would include Buttrey and Callahan in there. There are just so many possibilities in the system. Obviously most wont amount to much, but the Sox sure have stockpiled some decent arms over the last few years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

From what I read, Cherrington is very high on Hinojosa. He thinks he will contribute to Parent club this season.

[/QUOTE]

27yo and a 4M signing bonus would say that they really must like him. He'll start in AAA and depending on what happens in Boston, we could see him sometime in 2014.

Looks like a middle to Back rotation starter. Not too much info on him as of yet though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Yankees sign Brendan Ryan as their back up middle infielder and say they are still interested in signing Drew? For what? To move Jeter to 3rd?

Seems kind of out there but heh, it could happen I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The Yankees sign Brendan Ryan as their back up middle infielder and say they are still interested in signing Drew? For what? To move Jeter to 3rd?

[/QUOTE]

Jete could play 3B, DH and some SS while Drew rests.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Drew isnt the FT SS he probably wouldnt go to NY. Plus, why in Gods name would they pay that kind of $$ for 3 SS?  Im sure he will have offers to be a FT SS somewhere and wont have to deal with that mess ion NY.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really mooon? Do u know anything?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know Jeter is the worst fielding SS of this decade.

What do you know?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By Mike Andrews (soxprospects.om)

Look for Boston to make at least three roster moves on Wednesday to protect prospects from selection by other teams in the 2013 Rule 5 Draft. 

Eligible players must be added to their teams’ respective 40-man rosters by close-of-business on Nov. 20 in order to be protected from selection in the Rule 5 Draft, which is scheduled to take place on Dec. 12, the final day of the winter meetings. If selected, the player must stick on the drafting team’s 25-man roster for the entire 2014 season, or must be offered back to the Red Sox. 

The following players in the Red Sox system will be eligible to be selected if they are not added to the 40-man roster on Wednesday: 

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Bryce Brentz,  Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz,  Tommy Layne, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez,  Mike McCoy, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Nate Reed, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz,  Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, and Madison Younginer. 

[+] EnlargeAnthony Ranaudo Mike Janes/Four Seam Images/AP ImagesAnthony Ranaudo is expected to open the 2014 season in the Pawtucket starting rotation. Boston’s 40-man roster presently has 36 players on it, leaving four open roster spots -- and that’s before the club has made any re-signings or forays into the free-agent market. Additionally, a few players on the 40-man roster are candidates to be traded, non-tendered or designated for assignment, so there is some flexibility to add a few players on Wednesday. It’s expected that at least three players will be added. 

The primary candidates are right-handed starter Anthony Ranaudo, third baseman Garin Cecchini, and right fielder Bryce Brentz. Ranaudo and Brentz ended the 2013 season with Triple-A Pawtucket, while Cecchini ended the campaign with Double-A Portland. 

Ranaudo, 24, was a supplemental first-round draft pick in 2010. He spent a large portion of the 2013 season with Portland, going 8-4 with a 2.95 ERA, a 1.09 WHIP, 106 strikeouts, and 40 walks in 109.2 innings. In the process, he was named a mid-season and post-season Eastern League All-Star, the Eastern League Pitcher of the Year, and participated in the All-Star Futures Game.

He was promoted to Pawtucket on Aug. 2, where he went 3-1 with a 2.97 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 21 strikeouts, and 7 walks in 30.1 innings. Ranaudo features a solid 92-95 mph fastball, a plus 78-82 mph curveball, and a fringe-average 81-83 mph changeup. He projects as a middle-to-back-of-the-rotation starter, and is expected to open the 2014 season in the Pawtucket starting rotation. He’s a sure bet to be added to Boston’s 40-man roster. 

Similarly, Cecchini will almost surely will be added to the roster this week. A former fourth-round draft pick, the 22-year-old split the 2013 season between Portland and High-A Salem. He ended the season with a line of .322/.443/.471 with 7 home runs and 23 stolen bases. He also took home some awards in 2013, including Carolina League All-Star, Future Game All-Star, Arizona Fall League Rising Star, and the Arizona Fall League  Dernell StensonSportsmanship Award. A smart, disciplined hitter, Cecchini is expected to add some more power to his game in the coming years. However, a larger frame might slow him down a bit on the base paths. After manning the hot corner for Arizona Fall League champion Surpise Saguaros, he’s on the bubble to open up the 2014 season in either Portland or Pawtucket. 

[+] EnlargeGarin Cecchini Robert Gurganus/Four Seam Images via AP ImagesGarin Cecchini, who split the 2013 season between Portland and High-A Salem, is on the bubble to open the 2014 season in either Portland or Pawtucket. In 82 games with Pawtucket this season, Brentz posted a line of .264/.312/.475 with 17 home runs. He missed a decent chunk of the season after injuring his knee on a slide on July 5. He’ll turn 25 in December. While he has plus power, an average bat, solid defensive skills, and an above-average arm, his pitch recognition and plate approach need a lot of improvement if he’s to develop into an everyday regular for a team like Boston. He’s still an ultra-aggressive hitter after spending four seasons in the Red Sox farm system. At this stage, he profiles better as a second-division regular or a platoon starter. Still, there’s too much potential in Brentz not to protect him on the 40-man roster. 

Two other candidates to be added are right-hander Luis Diaz and third baseman Michael Almanzar. While it seems less likely than not that he’ll be protected, Diaz is a sleeper here, as he’s the type of arm that another team might be able to stash at the back end of a bullpen. 

The 21-year-old Venezuelan split the 2013 season between Salem and Low-A Greenville, going 9-4 with a 1.96 ERA, 94 strikeouts, and 24 walks in 101.0 innings. He throws a low-90s fastball, a solid 82-84 mph slider, and a changeup that is a work-in-progress. He’s likely be back with Salem to start the 2014 season. 

Almanzar spent the entire 2013 season in Portland, posting a line of .268/328/.432 with 16 home runs. Only 22 years old, the former $1.5 million bonus baby has shown flashes of plus-plus power and an average bat over the past two seasons. However, his defense, maturity, and ability to hit high-velocity fastballs are all question marks. He was left unprotected in 2012, and likely will be left unprotected again this year. There’s a decent shot he could get scooped up this season, but a low likelihood that he'd stick in the majors for a full year. 

Other than the the five players listed above, it seems unlikely that any other players in the Red Sox system will be protected this week, but you never know. Potentially unprotected Red Sox players who other teams may be willing to take a flyer on in next month’s Rule 5 Draft include pitchers Keith Couch, Aaron Kurcz and Mathew Price, and outfielders Keury De La Cruz and Juan Carlos Linares. The Boston front office has likely calculated that even if drafted, those players have lesser chances of sticking on another club’s 25-man roster in 2014, thus they would be returned to Boston in the spring.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't think we really lose that much beyond Ranaudo and Cechinni but Brentz is still worth that third protection slot. This would appear to be a no brainer. Most of those guys are so far down in A and AA ball that they probably wouldn't stick in the majors anyway.

But maybe the team feels strongly about one of their other guys and are willing to leave Brentz unprotected. That will say a lot if they do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think Moon and I both think it's highly unlikely that the Yanks would sign Drew, or that Drew would go there. We were just trying to explain the rumor in some way as it sounds pretty incredible.

It seems so incredible I wondered why it would even be stated and had to search for some sort of logical underpinnings. All I could think of was maybe someone plays 3rd, out of the Jeter / Drew combo. They still need a 3rd baseman right!

Or do they! We won't know for a while. Man it's a great time to be a Redsox fan. Things are SO MESSED UP in NYC. It's almost tempting to go to the Yanks websites and troll! They do it to us constantly!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I've played GM in this thread. If I've missed someone else's plans I apologize but what would you guys specifically do with the 32 mil available? It can be fun to have a specific plan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I've played GM in this thread. If I've missed someone else's plans I apologize but what would you guys specifically do with the 32 mil available? It can be fun to have a specific plan.

Id try and sign Corey Hart for a 1yr make good deal at 1b at 10M w/incentives to reach 14M(Carp & Nava as the LH options there)

Id resign Salty for 3years with a 4th option at 9M per. Navarro as a BU plan for 2 years.

Id like Ells back, and would go as far as 6/108. Maybe a McClouth type for CF as a BU plan to go along with Nava/Gomes/Vic/Carp.

I like Siezmore on a MiL deal with an invite to ST too.

As always trades are possible, but I really dont know who is truly available, so I stuck with just FA.

So this is what Id like the line up to resemble next year.

Ells

Vic

Pedey

Papi

Hart

Nava/Gomes

Bogaerts

Salty/Ross

Middlebrooks

Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront -- Workman, Webster, Hinojosa, Ranaudo, Wright

Uehara, Miller, Tazawa, Breslow, Britton, filler, filler

Maybe non-tender Bailey and bring him back at a lowe rate as a safety net for Koji.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First, I'd try to expand it to $42M by dealing Dempster, but I'll give one idea at $32M:

Bye bye Bailey

Trade:  Gomes ($5M), Webster, Lavarnway, & Morales ($arb?)

For: C  Ryan Hanigan (Arb: $2.5M?)  & LHP: Sean Marshall ($5.5M)

$16M OF Carlos Beltran

$5M 1B/OF Corey Hart

$5M OF Rajai Davis

$3M SS Clint Barnes

25 Man 2014 Red Sox Roster

C: Hanigan/Ross

1B: Hart/Carp (Nava/Middy)

2B: Pedroia

3B: Bogey/Middy

SS: Barnes (Bogey)

LF: Beltran (Hart/Nava)

CF: R Davis (Vict) 

RF: Victorino/Nava (Hart)

DH: Ortiz

SP: Lester, Buch, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront, Dempster

RP: Uehara, Breslow, Tazawa, Marshall, Miller, Workman

Line-up (Guidline only):

vs RHP    vs LHP

1)     CF   Victorino  RF

2)        Pedroia

3)        Ortiz

4)        Beltran

5)  RF Nava    Hart  1B

6) 1B Hart      Bogey SS

7) 3B Bogey    Davis CF

8) Ross/Han   Hanigan       

9) SS Barnes  3B Middy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First, I'd try to expand it to $42M by dealing Dempster, but I'll give one idea at $32M:

Bye bye Bailey

$16M OF Carlos Beltran

$5M 1B/OF Corey Hart

$5M OF Rajai Davis

$3M SS Clint Barnes

Line-up (Guidline only):

vs RHP    vs LHP

2)        Pedroia

3)        Ortiz

4)        Beltran

5)  RF Nava    Hart  1B

6) 1B Hart      Bogey SS

7) 3B Bogey    Davis CF

8) Ross/Han   Hanigan       

9) SS Barnes  3B Middy

[/QUOTE]

Clint Barmes, not Barnes

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/barmecl01.shtml

Hes been terrible the last 2 years. not even that solid defensively either. Decent BU I guess, but certainly not even a platoon guy on this team as far as Im concerned.

And I dont believe, nor think, they should be flipping Bogey back and forth. Thats not how you develop a young player.

I dont mind Hanigan if Salty doesnt come back. I do like Navarro more because hes a S H and has looked very good offensively the last couple years, albiet in limited games (80-90).

Marshall would be redundant and expensive for a LH middle reliever with Breslow (4.25M), Miller (2M+), and Britton. 3 LH middle relievers costing about 12M? no thanks.

Im torn on Beltran. I like him, but I dont want to give a 37yo OF'er with bad knees 3 years at 16M per.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If we lost Salty, Ellsbury, Drew and Napoli we still would only have $32 mil to spend unless we trade someone. Bringing back Ellsbury at $18 mil, Salty back at $9 mil, adding Hart at $10 mil blows right past that amount  without adding anyone else ( $37 mil ).

I find Hart interesting also. I just can't pull the trigger on him. I've seen quite a few respected analysts consider him though as a real option.

Why not just go with JBJ in CF rather than go with McClouth as the back up plan? He should at least play good defense and get on base. I would think he probably gives you McClouth level performance. Steamer projects McClouth as a .246 hitter with a .329 OBP and negative defensive value. JBJ may not hit that well but I bet he gets on base at a decent clip and is a plus defender in CF.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bye bye Bailey

$16M OF Carlos Beltran

$5M 1B/OF Corey Hart

$5M OF Rajai Davis

$3M SS Clint Barnes

Line-up (Guidline only):

vs RHP    vs LHP

2)        Pedroia

3)        Ortiz

4)        Beltran

5)  RF Nava    Hart  1B

6) 1B Hart      Bogey SS

7) 3B Bogey    Davis CF

8) Ross/Han   Hanigan       

9) SS Barnes  3B Middy

[/QUOTE]

I'm just giving my thoughts here Moon! Don't hate me man!

First off I LOVE the Hannigan move. Positive and cheap defensive catcher who isn't an awful hitter. I wish he were primarily left handed but we can't ask for perfection. Coming off a real down year which makes his costs much lower than the $8 mil plus he might have cost even a year ago. I don't know why he hit so badly last year but if scouts say nothing major has changed maybe we should give him a shot. Especially at that price. Maybe a Navarro also at a reasonable price and I'm not completely against Pierzynsky. I prefer to save the cash at that slot though, as you have here. You are trading my man Lavarnway but I'll just have to move on with my man crush I guess!

I don't think we need to pay nearly that much for Marshall but I do get the appeal. He's a solid Loogy ( lefty specialist ).

I don't see us trading Farrel's BFF in Gomes but I'm all for it also! I'd rather have Davis in that slot.  I don't see it happening ever though but we are brain storming here.  We are talking about what we would do, not what we think will happen.

You've got a real decent pen there. And still have the option of trading a starting pitcher and you are appropriately under budget with a little room to still add someone at the all star break if necessary!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Another name getting no mention is Josh Willingham.

He has one year left on his deal for $7mill, plays HORRIFIC outfield defense, and is coming off a down 2013 after terrific seasons in 2012 & 2011.  When healthy, he is a patient and disciplined RHH power bat who has spent his entire career in pitcher-friendly parks.

I would guess the Twins would let him go cheaply.  Franklin Morales might work.

Also a deal of Ryan Dempster for Chris Iannetta makes some sense for both teams...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wouldn't move Webster for Marshall.  Not with him coming off an injury. 

The Sox have an abundance of LHRP.  If anything, Webster is more important to the immediate future than Marshall would be...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Yanks sign Drew lose the 18th Pick, keep doing what your doing Yanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know Jeter is the worst fielding SS of this decade.

What do you know?

[/QUOTE]

Drew will not sign w/ Yanks. Why would anyone by there own choice opt to go to NY to replace a legend. Drew has enough suitors. STL is a probable home, if Boston can get over JD so can STL. Jeter will retire before he moves to 3rd base.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

If we lost Salty, Ellsbury, Drew and Napoli we still would only have $32 mil to spend unless we trade someone. Bringing back Ellsbury at $18 mil, Salty back at $9 mil, adding Hart at $10 mil blows right past that amount  without adding anyone else ( $37 mil ).

I find Hart interesting also. I just can't pull the trigger on him. I've seen quite a few respected analysts consider him though as a real option.

Why not just go with JBJ in CF rather than go with McClouth as the back up plan? He should at least play good defense and get on base. I would think he probably gives you McClouth level performance. Steamer projects McClouth as a .246 hitter with a .329 OBP and negative defensive value. JBJ may not hit that well but I bet he gets on base at a decent clip and is a plus defender in CF.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. JBJ was also a BU option, but I just noticed I forgot to mention him. Agree 100%.