A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

Health woes of Verlander and Holland a reminder why #RedSox might be wise to retain starting pitcher depth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You look to be right on that Moon. It's a no brainer against LH pitchers with Victorino probably. I think that is probably how it ends up.

Lots of prospect people think JBJ is potentially a #1 or 2 at some point this year. I think that is a lot of pressure to put on him already. 

Cechinni lkooks to be a 1 or 2 at some point possibly. Maybe in 2015 or 2016.

[/QUOTE]

My guess is they do not jerk Shane around, and he will lead off every game if healthy, unless JBj wins over the job to help lengthen the line-up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

Health woes of Verlander and Holland a reminder why #RedSox might be wise to retain starting pitcher depth.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but my position is that even without Dempster, we have better depth than almost every other team in MLB, but most are untested, and I recognize the gamble involved with possibly having to try 3-4 before finding one as good or better than Dempster. A few losses along the way could mean the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Personally, I think we have 2-3 pitchers that are as good as my projected 2014 Dempster might be, maybe 2-3 more that have a fair chance to be better, and another 3-5 with an outside chance to surprise in 2014.

Here's how I see out 7th starter and beyond:

Workman: probably better than Dempster right now.

Britton: maybe a 50-50 chance of being as good or better than Dempster in 2014.

Webster: Possibly better, but hard to tell for 2014.

Wright: Fair chance to be better.

de la Rosa: Fair chance to be better.

Ourside chance:

John Ely

Hinojosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Owens

Longshots:

M Pena

K Couch

T Layne

C Hernandez

J Kehrt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Red Sox, Twins Interested In Suk-Min Yoon By  Steve Adams [January 10 at 4:26pm CST]

The Red Sox and Twins are both interested in Korean right-hander Suk-Min YoontweetsPeter Gammons of the MLB Network and GammonsDaily.com. Gammons also spoke with one executive who guessed that the Giants are a good fit for Yoon as well. In an article at GammonsDaily.com earlier this week, Gammons noted that Yoon is one of many depth options still on the radar for the Red Sox. Cuban right-hander Raicel Iglesias is also among their potential targets.

It's been quiet on the Yoon front this offseason, as agent Scott Boras has had his hands full in negotiating contracts for Shin-Soo ChooJacoby Ellsbury and Mike Pelfrey while also trying to build the markets for Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales. As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes noted in his free agent profile of Yoon, the 27-year-old has a low-90s fastball and was considered the second-best pitcher in the Korea Baseball Organization behind Hyun-jin Ryuprior to Ryu's jump to MLB. He has experience as both a starter and a closer.

The Twins have been connected to Yoon multiple times this offseason, but it's unclear whether or not they'd still have significant interest after adding Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes and re-signing Pelfrey. He could slot into Minnesota's bullpen, but the relief corps was one of the few strengths for last season's 96-loss Twins team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but my position is that even without Dempster, we have better depth than almost every other team in MLB, but most are untested, and I recognize the gamble involved with possibly having to try 3-4 before finding one as good or better than Dempster. A few losses along the way could mean the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Personally, I think we have 2-3 pitchers that are as good as my projected 2014 Dempster might be, maybe 2-3 more that have a fair chance to be better, and another 3-5 with an outside chance to surprise in 2014.

Ourside chance:

John Ely

Hinojosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Owens

Longshots:

M Pena

K Couch

T Layne

C Hernandez

J Kehrt

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I agree with many of your points. I think Webster is the best of the youngsters if he can learn to keep his wits about him. I know that's a huge obstacle, but from a pure talent point of view, he has amazing swing-and-miss stuff. De La Rosa also has the stuff but there are control and stamina issues with him that might steer him to more of a bullpen role. The one I toally disagree on, and hope that I'm wrong, is Wright. Saw a lot of him in ST last year and was not the least bit impressed, a knuckleballer with control issues even though his knuckler lacks the movement of a great knuckler equals a bating practice pitcher.

The only one I've seen pitch of your second grouping is Owens and as good as he looked when I saw him, it was against A ball hitters so I would like to see him against better hitters. His velocity will not overpower major leaguers, but it could also improve some. His stuff looks good. I haven't seen any of the guys on the bottom list, but I'm hoping to and looking forward to Feb 25th when I arrive in Florida. 

I agree with your main point that I don't see Dempster sticking and that ST is the time when teams realize what they've got and what they need and the final deals get done. I think Dempster starts ST with the Sox and ends up elsewhere. But what do I know?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

One last point I missed Moon, I think Workman would be the heir apparent to that sixth starter role and has immediate value. But I think for depth reasons and to keep him stretched out, he starts the season in AAA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

my position is that even without Dempster, we have better depth than almost every other team in MLB, but most are untested, and I recognize the gamble involved with possibly having to try 3-4 before finding one as good or better than Dempster. A few losses along the way could mean the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Ourside chance:

John Ely

Hinojosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Owens

Longshots:

M Pena

K Couch

T Layne

C Hernandez

J Kehrt

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I agree with many of your points. I think Webster is the best of the youngsters if he can learn to keep his wits about him. I know that's a huge obstacle, but from a pure talent point of view, he has amazing swing-and-miss stuff. De La Rosa also has the stuff but there are control and stamina issues with him that might steer him to more of a bullpen role. The one I toally disagree on, and hope that I'm wrong, is Wright. Saw a lot of him in ST last year and was not the least bit impressed, a knuckleballer with control issues even though his knuckler lacks the movement of a great knuckler equals a bating practice pitcher.

Knuckleballers get hot and cold. They can stay hot for a long period (see Harvey & Wake) and then get cold quickly. I'm not counting on Wright, but he does represent a chance for a good stretch or season here or there.

The only one I've seen pitch of your second grouping is Owens and as good as he looked when I saw him, it was against A ball hitters so I would like to see him against better hitters. His velocity will not overpower major leaguers, but it could also improve some. His stuff looks good. I haven't seen any of the guys on the bottom list, but I'm hoping to and looking forward to Feb 25th when I arrive in Florida. 

Owens did get over 30 innings with AA Portland and looked good:

3-1  1.78 (46 Ks in 30.1 IP but the 15 BBs is worrisome)

I agree with your main point that I don't see Dempster sticking and that ST is the time when teams realize what they've got and what they need and the final deals get done. I think Dempster starts ST with the Sox and ends up elsewhere. But what do I know?

Once Tanaka and the other decent FA pitchers settle in with their new teams, somebody will be left out in the cold. Injuries may create desperation somewhere too (see Verlander & Holland).

One last point I missed Moon, I think Workman would be the heir apparent to that sixth starter role and has immediate value. But I think for depth reasons and to keep him stretched out, he starts the season in AAA.

If Dempster is on the opening day roster and no other starter is injured, I agree. We'll go with this:

Lester, Buch, Lackey, Peavy, Doubie, & Dempster

Uehara, Mujica, Tazawa, Breslow, Miller, Badenhop

Britton may make it ahead of Workman, if a relief pitcher gets hurt. I agree, we need to keep Workman "stretched out".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

my position is that even without Dempster, we have better depth than almost every other team in MLB, but most are untested, and I recognize the gamble involved with possibly having to try 3-4 before finding one as good or better than Dempster. A few losses along the way could mean the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Ourside chance:

John Ely

Hinojosa

Barnes

Ranaudo

Owens

Longshots:

M Pena

K Couch

T Layne

C Hernandez

J Kehrt

[/QUOTE]

Knuckleballers get hot and cold. They can stay hot for a long period (see Harvey & Wake) and then get cold quickly. I'm not counting on Wright, but he does represent a chance for a good stretch or season here or there.

Owens did get over 30 innings with AA Portland and looked good:

3-1  1.78 (46 Ks in 30.1 IP but the 15 BBs is worrisome)

Once Tanaka and the other decent FA pitchers settle in with their new teams, somebody will be left out in the cold. Injuries may create desperation somewhere too (see Verlander & Holland).

If Dempster is on the opening day roster and no other starter is injured, I agree. We'll go with this:

Lester, Buch, Lackey, Peavy, Doubie, & Dempster

Uehara, Mujica, Tazawa, Breslow, Miller, Badenhop

Britton may make it ahead of Workman, if a relief pitcher gets hurt. I agree, we need to keep Workman "stretched out".

[/QUOTE]

I actually like Workman over Taz if Dempsters still here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Taz is super. ZHe's certainly ahead of Badenhop and Miller.

I would like to keep Britton as a RP and Workman as a SP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Wright was a decent pitcher last year in mlb except for that 1 terrible game in Toronto in the dome when his stuff was so good he couldn't control it at all. Not saying he will ever be an mlb starter but he is significant depth in AAA ball. Maybe #3 or 4 in the depth chart.

Workman probably even has a starter slot next year IMO, as I think they trade Dempster or Peavy and someone probably gets hurt in ST. If that happens we still have Webster, Wright, RDLR and Ranaudo who all have a decent shot at emerging next year. Even Barnes and Owens can potentially make a start or 2 at some point. A lot of teams would be expecting those guys to get PT in the majors at some point. For us they are probably staying in AAA ball. 

I still think a strong case could be made for going with Workman and Britton in the pen and starting with:

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Doubront

Peavy 

That is potentially a real solid starting pitching staff. With Workman as #6 I think we can dump some salry and move Dempster. Teams will want starting pitching badly at some point next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

171.1 IP

4.57 ERA

1.453 WHIP

48% Quality Starts (very good for a 5th starter)

Dempster turns 37 in May.

I'm really thinking a combination of Workman, Britton, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes and later Owens can put up numbers like this or better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Britton was used very wisely last year so he never was truly exposed to MLB hitters. He was a AA starter who earned a promotion to AAA but was called up to the Sox very shortly after his promo to Pawtucket. He threw a few good innings as a situational lefty out of the pen but needs a lot more AAA innings as a starter before he moves past Webster, Renaudo or Barnes on the starter depth chart. With Miller back healthy, and Breslow still here, Britton starts the year in the rotation in Pawtucket and only sees Fenway in an emergency or as a September call-up. We also have two right-handed relievers who's numbers are just as good, if not better, against left-handed hitters in Taz and Uehara. Now Britton may put it all together in AAA and dazzle and earn his promotion to the bigs, but in order for that to happen, something bad has to happen to the MLB staff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Britton was used very wisely last year so he never was truly exposed to MLB hitters. He was a AA starter who earned a promotion to AAA but was called up to the Sox very shortly after his promo to Pawtucket. He threw a few good innings as a situational lefty out of the pen but needs a lot more AAA innings as a starter before he moves past Webster, Renaudo or Barnes on the starter depth chart. With Miller back healthy, and Breslow still here, Britton starts the year in the rotation in Pawtucket and only sees Fenway in an emergency or as a September call-up. We also have two right-handed relievers who's numbers are just as good, if not better, against left-handed hitters in Taz and Uehara. Now Britton may put it all together in AAA and dazzle and earn his promotion to the bigs, but in order for that to happen, something bad has to happen to the MLB staff.

[/QUOTE]

Good points. Perhaps I was a little optimistic on Drake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points. Perhaps I was a little optimistic on Drake.

[/QUOTE]

None of this is a knock on Britton, but in ST there was talk of him not even staying with the organization with a very ugly DUI incident in Florida. But he came back and had a very good AA season. I'm also pretty certain that Owens will surpass him this year as the top lefty in the system. Overall, it's a good problem to have when someone with Britton's talent is arguably ninth or tenth on your depth chart.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think Taz is a bit lucky, he gives up a hit in just about every inning he pitches but normally gets replaced by someone who prevents the run from scoring.  His Era could be much higher than it actually is.  In Taz's short time in the majors he has given up 153 hits in 140 innings pitched. 

Its often his good SO to BB ratio or another pitcher that saves him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Taz is a bit lucky, he gives up a hit in just about every inning he pitches but normally gets replaced by someone who prevents the run from scoring.  His Era could be much higher than it actually is.  In Taz's short time in the majors he has given up 153 hits in 140 innings pitched. 

Its normally his good SO to BB ratio or another pitcher that saves him.

[/QUOTE]

His 1.6 BB/9 rate makes up for some of those hits. Also his 9.5 K/9 rate comes in handy in tough situations.

1.280 WHIP and a 3.45 ERA sounds about right.

As for luck, the opponents had a .324 BAbip against Taz last year. Doesn't sound too lucky to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its normally his good SO to BB ratio or another pitcher that saves him.

[/QUOTE]

His 1.6 BB/9 rate makes up for some of those hits. Also his 9.5 K/9 rate comes in handy in tough situations.

As for luck, the opponents had a .324 BAbip against Taz last year. Doesn't sound too lucky to me.

[/QUOTE]

Taz was scary to watch at times but a lot better than some guys we have had in the past.  This year will be interesting to watch, I want to see at least another year with similar innings before fully judging his progress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Taz has decent poise. I like him.

I think Britton is best off a reliever anyway. He's kind of like Morales in some ways. Could fill in as a decent long man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Taz was scary to watch at times but a lot better than some guys we have had in the past.  This year will be interesting to watch, I want to see at least another year with similar innings before fully judging his progress.

He's struggled at times, but he clearly has some nasty stuff out there.

He did improve on his Inherited runner allowed to score rate from 38% to 31%, but that is still rather high.

I'd like to see the numbers on how many times he did not finish an inning, and out of the ones he did not finish, how many men were left on base.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

He did improve on his Inherited runner allowed to score rate from 38% to 31%, but that is still rather high.

I'd like to see the numbers on how many times he did not finish an inning, and out of the ones he did not finish, how many men were left on base.

[/QUOTE]

Me too but I don't have time to research it.  I hope he continues to improve but still want another year with similar innings to see just how consistent he may become. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me too but I don't have time to research it.  I hope he continues to improve but still want another year with similar innings to see just how consistent he may become.

[/QUOTE]

Looking at his game logs, I see a lot of complete innings pitched in 2013.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm hoping RDLR steps up this year. At least as a 7th inning reliever or something. He and Webster are enigmas. Unbelieveable stuff. Bad results.

Eventually they will learn to control their stuff better but we may be going down a rabbit hole also. I'm guessing one of them becomes a stud at some point. My guess is RDLR.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm hoping RDLR steps up this year. At least as a 7th inning reliever or something. He and Webster are enigmas. Unbelieveable stuff. Bad results.

Eventually they will learn to control their stuff better but we may be going down a rabbit hole also. I'm guessing one of them becomes a stud at some point. My guess is RDLR.

[/QUOTE]

I like Web and RDLR as well, but I have more faith in Ranaudo, Barnes and Owens as well as Workman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I have more faith in Owens and Workman also but some analysts say Owens will struggle at higher levels as his fastball still isn't that good and he can't control it. Honestly, it is completely up in the air which of these guys make it in my book. The safest bet might even be Barnes.

I like the fact that Workman stepped up and handled the pressure well. As crazy as it sounds he looks like the safest bet so far to me. At least he looks like his floor is a successful mlb pitcher. 

It's probably wishful thinking but when I watch RDLR pitch I see that he has some crazy stuff. The last pitch the other day he threw 98 mph. And his changeup might be the best of any of our prospects, although Owens seems to have a great one also. That fastball / changeup combo alone is worth a lot if he can control it and he should have better control next year being another year away from TJ surgery.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't see more than a 10% chance of us getting Tanaka. The Dodgers and Yankees will leave blood all over the floor on that one. Both will go to the mat, and there may well be others. I hope we pull it off but if we do, it will be the biggest shock to the International baseball world since we won the bid for Matsuzaka.

Cherington said the other day that if you have prospects you believe in, it is important to play them. Do you think he was talking about Bogaerts, JBJ and Middlebrooks ( as I suspect since that seemed to be the context he was discussing) or could he also be alluding to the wealth of talented pitchers we have in AAA ball?

I think we are in a win / win situation. I'd love to get Tanaka but we don't have such a burning need for him that we will be willing to go to $150 mil. Right? It's just not going to happen.

My bet is they trade Dempster and allow for the AAA depth to play out some and hope someone emerges. My bets are RDLR and Barnes this year, with Webster and Ranaudo certainly given some starts maybe even over my guys but I wouldn't be surprised if RDLR and Barnes beat them both out eventually. I could see them bringing up Barnes as a reliever at the end of the year and getting some solid relief appearances from him, as they did with Workman last year. His current mix of pitches probably would already play well as a reliever. He will be better though if they can give him more time.