A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Grady Sizemore Eager To Get Back To Baseball By  Zach Links [January 22 at 8:19pm CST]

Earlier tonight, the Red Sox agreed to sign Grady Sizemore to a one-year, $750K deal that could balloon to $6MM if he reaches all of his incentives.  The three-time All-Star was once the face of the Indians franchise but thanks to some unfortunate injuries, he hasn't been on the field since 2011.  Sizemore finally felt ready to come back and multiple teams came calling this winter when Sizemore's reps at CAA Sports put out word that their client was healthy and ready to return to baseball.  The Reds, in fact, seemed right on the cusp of inking him to a contract until earlier today, when GM Walt Jocketty said in a radio interview that a dealwouldn't be happening.  However, when I asked Sizemore how close he was to donning a Reds jersey, he downplayed the seriousness of that talk.

"Honestly, I was talking with multiple teams and I was kind of exploring every option that I could," Sizemore said on this evening's conference call. "In the end, I thought the Red Sox gave me the best opportunity to succeed and that's why I went with these guys."

The Red Sox, Sizemore said, have been talking to him since the start of the offseason, but things truly ramped up in the last "two or three weeks."  I asked Sizemore what made the Red Sox the most attractive option of any club and he explained that his familiarity with a few members of the Boston staff coupled with the medical game plan that they laid out for him made them the winner.

One might assume that the opportunity to play center field appealed to Sizemore but he says that he didn't have a positional preference, just a desire to get significant playing time.  More than anything, Sizemore sounds like a player who is thrilled to finally be on the path back to MLB. 

"It's been frustrating.  No one likes to deal with injuries and I've had my fair share.  Hopefully that's behind me now.  I'm just looking forward to moving on and starting the second half of my career."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

This move, although somewhat predictable, I like. The ole Low Risk, High Reward Mantra. Also helps coming off a WS win. If it works we have a lead-off hitter again(!)     :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm wondering if Sizemore makes the 25 man roster opening day, Carp might be dealt during ST.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Sizemore move is so small it is almost inconsequential but it does potentially help us get a decent player but the chances of that are pretty small. We could lose $750,000 which is no big deal in this market but we also could have to break camp with a guy in Carp's spot for example on the roster. This guy is nothing but injury depth at this point and unfortunately I don't think we can park him in the minors for long. Farrell must know him well though, as he was minor league player development director when Sizemoare was coming up. We need to trust his judgement but it could also be some sentimentality as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He's JBJ's mentor apparently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree.

$175M/7 was too high, but I have a feeling Tanaka is going to be real real good.

[/QUOTE]

Everything I've seen on him has him pegged as a middle of the rotation starter.  Still with player inflation this isn't as huge an overpay as it seems, but its still hurting the Yankees.  They effectively have turned into a team that has to pay double per win.  And they are desperate to win now.  They also have a TV deal coming up soon and if they start to crumble they will lose out on a lot of money.

Apparently the Yankees have made the financial decision to spend big.  They figure the money lost from a TV extension following multiple seasons of not making the playoffs + lost revenue from not making the playoffs is going to hurt their bottom line more than paying a 50% payroll tax. 

Every scout on earth had Darvish as a better pitcher than Tanaka, yet the Yankees sat that one out and paid twice the amount for Tanaka this year yet declined to resign Cano.  I guess I can't prove this but I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Yankees F.O.  I'd be willing to bet they made the decision to change their organization strategy in the middle of this off season....which to me means they effectively have no strategy.  They can't stand to lose and freaked out so they are maxing out the credit cards....

From a business perspective, anyway you look at it this impedes NY's model.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree.

$175M/7 was too high, but I have a feeling Tanaka is going to be real real good.

[/QUOTE]

Everything I've seen on him has him pegged as a middle of the rotation starter.  Still with player inflation this isn't as huge an overpay as it seems, but its still hurting the Yankees.  They effectively have turned into a team that has to pay double per win.  And they are desperate to win now.  They also have a TV deal coming up soon and if they start to crumble they will lose out on a lot of money.

Apparently the Yankees have made the financial decision to spend big.  They figure the money lost from a TV extension following multiple seasons of not making the playoffs + lost revenue from not making the playoffs is going to hurt their bottom line more than paying a 50% payroll tax. 

Every scout on earth had Darvish as a better pitcher than Tanaka, yet the Yankees sat that one out and paid twice the amount for Tanaka this year yet declined to resign Cano.  I guess I can't prove this but I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Yankees F.O.  I'd be willing to bet they made the decision to change their organization strategy in the middle of this off season....which to me means they effectively have no strategy.  They can't stand to lose and freaked out so they are maxing out the credit cards....

From a business perspective, anyway you look at it this impedes NY's model.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you.  I don't understand this at all.  The Yankees appear to be throwing all their chips in with the bet that the team they have this year will be a winner because if they're not a winner they stand to lose BIG.  If the team doesn't win this year and people start (continue?) to stay away in droves there's going to be no money to pay these salaries. 

And just to make the situation even worse form the Y's POV, starting next year there'll be no RS money to teams that exceed the LT limit. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, I think I read on another site you like the Sizemore deal--somebody else was quoting you so that's why I say "I think."  I too think it's a great potential without much to lose.  Man, someone in this organization believes in speedy center fielders who can play anywhere in the OF, play defense, run bases, etc.  I'm hoping the three year break has allowed him to heal and come back fresh and contribute.  I don't think this is a diss on JBJ or his skills--just due dilligence and covering all contingencies.  Maybe a healthy S. can be used in more ways, O and Defensively, than Carp?  And it looks like another guy who's going to fit well in the clubhouse...  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Somebody on another site said "What's JBJ going to think?"  My answer to that would be, well if he hits .350 in ST and catches everything in sight, "Wow, it's great to be a starter."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Hey, maybe the RS swooped in front of the Reds with the idea of making a more expansive deal with them later?  Do they have anyone we want?  Do we have anyone else they want?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think the Red Sox and Sizemore understand that even if healthy he has a PT role, even if he appears healthy I thnk it is important for him to east back into play.  Even then it is unreasonable to assume that he will be 100% the player he was before he got injured.

One reason he was so good was because of how hard nosed and he, and that style of play does not match up well with his injury history and someone who plays full time.  I think the Sox see he is currently healhty and that perhaps in a limited role he may stay healthy.

Which is what the Sox needed anyways, they needed another outfield to back up RF/CF with some speed.  If it doesn't work out...there was very little risk...if it works out then sizemore would be about 10X better than every other teams 4th 5th outfielder. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Moon, I think I read on another site you like the Sizemore deal--somebody else was quoting you so that's why I say "I think."  I too think it's a great potential without much to lose.  Man, someone in this organization believes in speedy center fielders who can play anywhere in the OF, play defense, run bases, etc.  I'm hoping the three year break has allowed him to heal and come back fresh and contribute.  I don't think this is a diss on JBJ or his skills--just due dilligence and covering all contingencies.  Maybe a healthy S. can be used in more ways, O and Defensively, than Carp?  And it looks like another guy who's going to fit well in the clubhouse...  

I'm ot projecting greatness, but Grady is only 31, and he had the best OF WAR in a 4 year sample size from 2005-2008. 

That was a long long time ago, but again, he is only 31.

It's all about health and opportunity for Grady and 2014.

This was my post from another thread:

At $1M, Grady could turn out to be the steal of the year. Of course, he could be cut at some point as well, but there's a chance he could be marginally helpful as a LF defenhsive replacement late in games, or better yet, come close to his numbers from 2005-2008. 

Grady had 4 consecutive fine seasons, so he certainly has talent, when healthy. 625 PAs each one of those seasons and the best OF WAR at +26.8.

.281/.372/.496/.868

107 HRs (27 per season)

195 2B+3B (49 per season)

That's about 76 EBHs per season ability.

At age 31, it's not unrealistic to think he may approach those numbers again, if healthy and given the chance to get 600+ PAs.

From 2009-2011, although injured for much of the time, Grady still had 84 XBHs in 832 ABs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm ot projecting greatness, but Grady is only 31, and he had the best OF WAR in a 4 year sample size from 2005-2008. 

At $1M, Grady could turn out to be the steal of the year. Of course, he could be cut at some point as well, but there's a chance he could be marginally helpful as a LF defenhsive replacement late in games, or better yet, come close to his numbers from 2005-2008. 

Grady had 4 consecutive fine seasons, so he certainly has talent, when healthy. 625 PAs each one of those seasons and the best OF WAR at +26.8.

.281/.372/.496/.868

107 HRs (27 per season)

At age 31, it's not unrealistic to think he may approach those numbers again, if healthy and given the chance to get 600+ PAs.

From 2009-2011, although injured for much of the time, Grady still had 84 XBHs in 832 ABs.

[/QUOTE]

If you make 5 of these types of signings over a 10 yr period and just one pays off, IMO then all were worth it. David Ortiz was a signing no one saw coming. Maybe with some luck Grady can be 90% of the player he once was. Thats still a pretty good player for the $ they invested. Good move!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

.281/.372/.496/.868

107 HRs (27 per season)

[/QUOTE]

If you make 5 of these types of signings over a 10 yr period and just one pays off, IMO then all were worth it. David Ortiz was a signing no one saw coming. Maybe with some luck Grady can be 90% of the player he once was. Thats still a pretty good player for the $ they invested. Good move!

[/QUOTE]

Even 80% would be very good. 70-80% of about a WAR of 6.5 is really good (it's 3.9 to 5.2)!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It looks like the beards are coming off for the Boston Red Sox   

I wonder what they will grow in 2014.   Laughing

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10338025/jonny-gomes-says-boston-red-sox-beards-coming-off

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Some really great data on the likelihood of a BA top 100 player making it in mlb:

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2013/12/death-to-tinstaapp-updating-mckinneys.html

3 out of 4 top 100 pitchers fail. 2 out of 3 top 100 position players. As I said earlier, if we get 2 or 3 guys out of that group we have in AAA we are doing well.

Regarding Tanaka and the Yanks, I think it was a great move for them. Most scouts do think Darvish is better but if you look at Darvish's last 3 years in Japanese baseball and compare it to Tanaka's, Tanaka was the one with the lower ERA and lower WHIP over that 3 year period. That is apples and apples with important data, over a 3 year sample. Tanaka is probably an animal.

And if you really look at Darvish's numbers you could make a case that he is the best pitcher in baseball over the last 2 years. Not saying he was but he is in the conversation. Pitching in Texas in the AL is not easy. It's different than Kershaw's situation in the NL. I'd probably still take Kershaw but Darvish is in the conversation. This means that Tanaka is potentially a top 5 starter in mlb. 

He's a potential game changer. If the Yanks continue to improve their roster some I think they are right there with us as favorites in the division. I know most people disagree but they have added a lot of talent and I don't think we have gotten better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Somebody on another site said "What's JBJ going to think?"  My answer to that would be, well if he hits .350 in ST and catches everything in sight, "Wow, it's great to be a starter."

I was thinking more of what Victorino is gonna think when his back starts acting up mid-season. Some scenarios are more foreseeable than others. I have no delusions about the Sizemore signing, just think it's a nice, feel good, minor move, that could make things even more interesting. 

Plus the Cubs snagged-up Kalish on me, so Grady fills that MiLB gap for me. ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some really great data on the likelihood of a BA top 100 player making it in mlb:

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2013/12/death-to-tinstaapp-updating-mckinneys.html

3 out of 4 top 100 pitchers fail. 2 out of 3 top 100 position players. As I said earlier, if we get 2 or 3 guys out of that group we have in AAA we are doing well.

Regarding Tanaka and the Yanks, I think it was a great move for them. Most scouts do think Darvish is better but if you look at Darvish's last 3 years in Japanese baseball and compare it to Tanaka's, Tanaka was the one with the lower ERA and lower WHIP over that 3 year period. That is apples and apples with important data, over a 3 year sample. Tanaka is probably an animal.

And if you really look at Darvish's numbers you could make a case that he is the best pitcher in baseball over the last 2 years. Not saying he was but he is in the conversation. Pitching in Texas in the AL is not easy. It's different than Kershaw's situation in the NL. I'd probably still take Kershaw but Darvish is in the conversation. This means that Tanaka is potentially a top 5 starter in mlb. 

He's a potential game changer. If the Yanks continue to improve their roster some I think they are right there with us as favorites in the division. I know most people disagree but they have added a lot of talent and I don't think we have gotten better.

[/QUOTE]

The Yanks have improved, and even without Mo, Grandy and a few others, they should be much better this year.

While on paper it looks like we have not improved, I think there is a lot of things that could happen to make us just as good, if not slightly better than last year. A combination of a few of these things could make us significantly better, but we are going to have to stay relatively healthy.

Pitching:

Mujica taking the place of Hanrahan, Bailey, and Aceves

Buchholz from 16 GS to 32 GS

Doubront continuing to improve

Peavy from 10 GS to 25+ GS

Dempster from 29 GS to less than 10

Uehara as closer from day one (worked less though)

Miller available all year

Youngsters with a year more experience: Workman, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Barnes, plus Hinojosa, Wright & others.

Fielding:

Pierzynski > Salty

Ross all year > Lava

2012 & 2014 Middy > 2013 Middy

JBJ > Jacoby

Hopefully no Nava/Gomes/Carp in RF

Herrera > Holt/Snyder/Ciriaco

Victorino with 30 more starts

Offense:

Pedey returning to career norm (about 50 more points in OPS)

Gomes hitting LHPs like he did before 2013

Bogey possibly outhitting the 2013 Drew

Middy hitting more like 2012 than 2013

Napoli hitting like he normally has done every 3 years (this is his "due year")

Carp getting more PAs

While it's true, a list of possible declines is long as well, there is great potential for something special to happen again in 2014. I really would not be shocked if we score the same amount of runs as last year. I think our pitching is better on paper, and our fielding is close to the same (worse at SS, but better at C, CF and maybe 3B & RF) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Also, to me, it seemed we needed a lot more to go right in 2013 than it appears we need to "go right" in 2014.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hugh, I don't think the Yanks have a TV deal due until 2038, a major weakness for them. Their Achilles heel in my opinion. I think as of right now we are better positioned for the future but they still have that stadium and those $25,000 box seat season tickets piling up cash for them, and wallstreet guys with money burning a hole in their pocket. That may even outweigh our TV deal advantages. Of course they have a bigger market for their TV deal also, so even if they get a lower cut from it than we do it still could be more money but I think we are probnably generating more money from our TV deal already since Henry's group owns 80% of NESN as compared to the Yankees owning 25-35% of YES.

We are not done with the off season yet Moon but I'm guessing the Yanks are not done yet and by Spring Training I think they will be improved further still. I think we are largely done except for maybe a reserve infielder and a relief pitcher. We don't even need either that badly. I think the Yanks sign another starter, at least one more reliever, and another infielder. They may trade someone also but most of it is probably FA signings.

I think it's a dogfight between us, the Rays and NYC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Check out this conversations with rookies. Pretty funny!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31320723/garin-cecchini-hosts-conversations-with-rookies/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140125_17562954

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are not done with the off season yet Moon but I'm guessing the Yanks are not done yet and by Spring Training I think they will be improved further still. I think we are largely done except for maybe a reserve infielder and a relief pitcher. We don't even need either that badly. I think the Yanks sign another starter, at least one more reliever, and another infielder. They may trade someone also but most of it is probably FA signings.

I think it's a dogfight between us, the Rays and NYC.

I agree. I do not think the Yanks are done. I realize it will be a dogfight this year, and we might not come out on top. We may even miss the playoffs, but I think otherwise. I like our chances better than the Yanks or Rays. Maybe after the Yanks make some more moves, I'll think otherwise.

I do think we still have an opportunity at making a significant addition to this team after first trading the salary of Dempster or Peavy.

As it stands now...

Rotation:

Lester        Sabathia

Buchholz    Kuroda

Lackey       Tanaka

Peavy         Nova

Doubront    Phelps

Dempster   Pineda

Advantage Red Sox

Bullpen:

Uehara      Robertson

Mujica        Kelley

Breslow     Claiborne

Tazawa      Cabral

Miller         Betances

Badenhop  Banuelos

Workman  Campos

Advantage Red Sox

Catcher:

Pierzynski/Ross     McCann/Cervelli

1B:

Napoli/Carp            Teixeira/(K Johnson)

2B:

Pedroia/Herrera    Roberts/ B Ryan

3B:

Middy/Cecchini      K Johnson/ B Ryan

SS:

Bogaerts/Herrera  Jeter/B Ryan/Nunez

LF:

Nava/Gomes        Gardner/(DH: Soriano)

CF:

JBJ/Sizemore       Ellsbury/ (LF: Gardner)

RF:

Victorino/Sizemore  Beltran/Suzuki

DH:

Ortiz/Gomes/Carp   Soriano

Advantage: close to even

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If I were NY, I'd consider putting Soriano in RF, and having Beltran at DH more. That helps keep Beltran on the field and overall Soriano is clearly a better defender. I'm just not sure about Soriano's arm. Another option is Soriano in LF and Gardner in RF. Gardner might be the best defensive RF in baseball if he slots in RF.

I think more likely though is:

Gardner - LF

Ellsbury - CF

Soriano - RF

Beltran - DH

That's a decent OF and DH situation. Both defensively and offensively.

Tex probably doesn't have a normal Tex year but we don't know what happens there. He may come back and hit 30 HR also and play solid D. He  and Sabathia are probably the keys to their season. They do not know what they are goiong to get from either. I don't think they expect much from Jeter. If he is near average that would be great for them.

My gut tells me they go out and get someone like Chase Headley. Even though it will cost them a fortune. Drew is another option of course. Either would be solid upgrades for them.

Brian Roberts might just be healthy finally. They might hit the lottery there.

McCann is clearly better than our catchers. If they sign a 3rd baseman they might put up a better offense than we do.

I think Tanaka is going to be one of the sensations of the year. He could be this year's Scherzer. Having said that, I hope it comes back to haunt me. Who knows what happens but the data indicates teams are going to really struggle against him, and the Yankee lineup probably bails him out in most games he gets into trouble in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Gardner and Ellsbury back to back would put a lot of pressure on opposing pitchers. The two best base stealers in the league beyond maybe Rajai Davis.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boom,

Still, a lot of "ifs" for the Yanks, and they should not be minimized:

C: While I agree that McCann gives the yankees and edge over the Sox here, there are still questions. He's on the big stage now, and the last 2 years numbers favor AJP: .275  44  147 to .246  40  124 and the OPS of .773 to .742. I also like Ross over Cervelli and Lava/Butler/Vazquez could chip in nicely as well. 

1B: Teixeira started his decline the minute he signed with the Yanks and to me, is a bigger question mark than Napoli-hip and all: Teix's with LAA (1.081), then with NYY- .948> .846> .835> .807> .609. Sure, Teix could have a nice year, but he turns 34 soon, and is likely not going to be much over .800 this year.

2B: Roberts & Ryan are way bigger question marks than Pedey.

3B: Huge question mark for the Yanks. Signing Drew and moving Jete to 3B may improve the outlook, but Jete would be a big question mark. K Johnson is decent, but still a question mark.

The Yankee OF is solid both offensibely, defensively and in depth. While age may play a role, they are so deep, I don't see any big questions here.

DH: Soriano or Beltran should give the Yanks the second best DH numbers in MLB. That's big upgrade over 2013, but still behind the Sox projections for Big Papi with Gomes, Carp, Nava, and maybe Lava in reserve.

Sabathia looks like a new man. The loss of that much weight raises red flags as well as optimism. I'm guessing he will feel a lot different on the mound, and I'm not sure how he lost the weight, but sometimes a radical change in a workout routine can lead to injury, if not done gradually and correctly.

Kuroda is a fine pitcher. I like him a lot. I know you love this guy, but you have to admit, him dropping off late last year and turning 39 in a couple weeks raises a lot of questions. 

Tanaka should help the Yanks right away. I really like this 25 year old, but certainly there are questions about a guy who has never pitched an inning in America. Can he adjust? Having some older countrymates on his team should help, but what about the radical change in the pitching routines?

Nova just turned 27 and is entering his prime. He had a nice season last year, but still had a WHIP near 1.3. He has improved on his BB/9 every year, so I think he is going to have a good year, but he did have an ERA over 5 in 2012 as well as a 1.47 WHIP.

Phelps is a huge question mark, but may be replaced with another big signing. 4.98 ERA last year and a 1.42 WHIP.

Robertson as a closer. Should do well, but it's a different gig.

The rest of the pen is much more questionable than ours.