A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

That would add about $2M to my totals, bringing us to about $158M counting the pension contribution. If we are to stay under the luxury limit, we'd be at about $30M to spend on free agents. This assumes we keep everybody.

[/QUOTE]

The same report suggested that the Sox might non-tender Bailey, which would free up a few million for bullpen help, or other good and useful purposes ...

We may sign and trade him as well, but either way, losing Bailey would bring us up to about $35M to spend and still be under the luxury limit.

If we spend $20M on Ellsbury, it leaves about $15M for C, 1B, SS/3B and RP. Let's say we stick to in-house solutions for the pen and left-side IF. What can we get at C and 1B for $15M? Do we pay Napoli and go with Lava? Do we sign McCann and go with Carp?

Is keeping Ellsbury and signing McCann but losing Napoli, Salty and Drew better than

keeping Ellsbury and Napoli and losing Salty and Drew?

Are either of these options better than losing Ellsbury, but keeping Napoli ($13 x 3), Salty ($30/3) and Drew ($13/3)?  (Or some other combination of FAs)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Regarding Kuroda and Doubront, all of us would rather trade Dempster for example, rather than Doubront, but IF WE GET A SOLID RETURN, I'm open to even trading Doubront. I think Moon is on that also as we all should be IMO. It's not like we want to give away a guy who is cost controlled for 3 more years after a real solid year. Just saying we can get a guy who has put up better numbers each of the last 4 years in a row with about 200 innings pitched in Yankee stadium no less as a right hander, for a short term FA sign which would then enable us to trade one of our existing starting pitching assets for something worthwhile.

The playoffs showed just how important it is to have premium pitching available in the playoffs. I personally think we were lucky to have some guys hot at the right time to pull that off. I don't like taking chances. Kuroda is still a very good bet, especially if we give him some time off during the year. He was an absolute animal all year until the end when he clearly was over worked.

Amp, I really like Bailey as a teammate also, and his stuff was real decent when he was on, but we won't even see him until at least July and he's coming back from a shoulder injury if I remember correctly. I doubt they even extend him an offer or if they do it will be restructured. Why go through arbitration with him given his existing condition? The guy will be lucky to get a $1 mil contract this year. I bet we non tender him. Shake his hand but non tender him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I know the starting rotation is a strength but there is one thing I do absolutely agree with Moon on and that is starting pitching upgrades. If it means we end up with a surplus just trade the excess guy. Workman, Webster, Ranaudo...etc are solid starter depth but I'm always open to an upgrade. If we spend half our available financial resources on starting pitching I'm ok with that as long as it puts us in the top 3 of the league in that department. It is the key to winning it all. Just ask SF. Tampa Bay. St. Louis...etc.

I notice that Gavin floyd is now a FA with no QO. He's decent depth but I don't see it as an upgrade right now. Do we take a flyer on Johan Santana, given that he lives in Fort Myers and probably would like joining the Redsox for less money than other teams. I think that is a definite possibility.

The Yanks and others will be all over Erving Santana as well as Kuroda but we should make them at least work for it. they have huge needs this off season and probably will end up limited in some areas for once. We need to make them pay for guys like Kuroda.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We need to be prudent with our cash and you know what, if Drew and Napoli accept their QO we won't have a lot of decisions to make will we?

I personally hope both turn it down. And we let Salty go. I don't think they care about Lavarnway either but I don't think there is a big drop off there from Salty. I like Bogaerts at SS of course and I think Middlebrooks probably gives us average numbers at 3rd with potentially 25 Dingers. Would that kill us? 

We lose quite a bit of offense in CF with JBJ instead of Ellsbury which we would have to make up in other areas like Bogaerts maybe and a better Middlebrooks. But all those moves save us cash.

I'd spend it on a top starting pitcher and Rajai Davis. I think we have enough in the pen. It wouldn't hurt us bad to go over the luxury tax limit one year but given the incentives this year in terms of revenue sharing almost every team is trying to stay under it. If we sign a quality starting pitcher it opens up a trade for someone else which would dump some salary ( for example Peavy or Dempster ) or give us a solid return from trading Doubront as a piece for a middle of the order OF bat for example. If we sign Choo we could trade 
    Nava. There are options out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know the starting rotation is a strength but there is one thing I do absolutely agree with Moon on and that is starting pitching upgrades. If it means we end up with a surplus just trade the excess guy. Workman, Webster, Ranaudo...etc are solid starter depth but I'm always open to an upgrade. If we spend half our available financial resources on starting pitching I'm ok with that as long as it puts us in the top 3 of the league in that department. It is the key to winning it all. Just ask SF. Tampa Bay. St. Louis...etc.

I notice that Gavin floyd is now a FA with no QO. He's decent depth but I don't see it as an upgrade right now. Do we take a flyer on Johan Santana, given that he lives in Fort Myers and probably would like joining the Redsox for less money than other teams. I think that is a definite possibility.

The Yanks and others will be all over Erving Santana as well as Kuroda but we should make them at least work for it. they have huge needs this off season and probably will end up limited in some areas for once. We need to make them pay for guys like Kuroda.

[/QUOTE]

Although you didn't believe that Kuroda took less money to stay in NY last year for some strange reason, I seriously doubt the Sox would offer the same deal they had on the table last year for him at this point.  The circumstances have clearly changed since last year and even if Kuroda doesn't decide to go back home (probably about 50% at this point), why would the Sox overspend on a starting pitcher given the rotation depth they have right now?

Even if the Front Office DID think such a thing was a good idea (Highly doubtful in my opinion), why would Kuroda, who doesn't need the money, all of a sudden decide to go to Boston?  Do a little homework on this guy and you'll quickly realize your chasing a pipe dream.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Every winter I ever remember, I always advocated for upgrading the rotation, but not by slightly improving our 5th starter, but by getting a 1/2 slot starter and thereby slotting every other SP down one notch.

This year, I see our other needs as too big to allow us the luxury of upgrading the rotation, unless the plan invoilves trading one of our current starters to fill one of the holes left by our departing 4 big free agents. That way, we upgrade the rotation and fill a high need at the same time. Trading Dempster would not bring back anyone good enough to fill one of the big 4 openings, so we'd have to trade Peavy, Doubront or one of our big 3 to get a solid player in return. It would cost a lot to upgrade over Lester, Buch or Lackey, so I assume we would be talking about upgrading Peavy or Doubront and trading one for a C, CF'er, 1Bman or SS/3Bman. I wouldn't do this plan, until the trade is lined-up and ready to go.

It may be easier to just go with our 6 starters and let the best 5 lead the way. Spend and trade to fill the big 4 slots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I realize all this sounds crazy. If Napoli turns down the QO I'd beeline it for Loney. If Ellsbury is too expensive as much as I like him as a player I'd probably move on with JBJ. Bogaerts can replace Drew. If we have money to spend and can't do a top pitcher I'd probably look at Choo and/or McCann. Both are real solid bats which would do well in Fenway. We really need another strong RH bat though if Napoli leaves, but I don't think Napoli leaves! I wanted the guy from Cuba BADLY but it wasn't to be.

And Johny Peralta is probably the best RH bat available and do we want him and Johnny Gomes in the same OF against LH pitching? I think not. Defensively that is a very weak OF.

Ergo the Rajai Davis move and probably a trade. What can we trade to get a solid middle of the order RH bat, when they are very much in demand this year? Starting Pitching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

Although you didn't believe that Kuroda took less money to stay in NY last year for some strange reason, I seriously doubt the Sox would offer the same deal they had on the table last year for him at this point.  The circumstances have clearly changed since last year and even if Kuroda doesn't decide to go back home (probably about 50% at this point), why would the Sox overspend on a starting pitcher given the rotation depth they have right now?

Even if the Front Office DID think such a thing was a good idea (Highly doubtful in my opinion), why would Kuroda, who doesn't need the money, all of a sudden decide to go to Boston?  Do a little homework on this guy and you'll quickly realize your chasing a pipe dream.

[/QUOTE]

I said I didn't think he turned down $ FREAKING MILLION MORE TO STAY WITH THE YANKS.

If it wasn't about the money the guy would be in Japan right now, pitching for the Yomuiri Giants or Yakult Swallows or wherever.

$5 mil is a lot of money. I don't believe the Redsox offered him $5 mil more. No, I don't. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I said I didn't think he turned down $ FREAKING MILLION MORE TO STAY WITH THE YANKS.

If it wasn't about the money the guy would be in Japan right now, pitching for the Yomuiri Giants or Yakult Swallows or wherever.

$5 mil is a lot of money. I don't believe the Redsox offered him $5 mil more. No, I don't. 

[/QUOTE]

I could really care less what you do and don't believe, I was just trying to point out some facts when you initially posted that you thought the Sox should have pursued Kuroda, when you clearly had no clue as to whether they did or not.  Again, read up on the guy a little, so you can post with some intelligence, and not clutter up the board with "Sign Kuroda" posts.  

By the way, you basically called me a liar, so I challenge you to go through my nearly 3000 posts and find one where I used "made up" information.  Also, just because YOU didn't see it or read about it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and maybe, just maybe, some people who participate in sports forums, have more access to information than others... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We are looking at serious cash to retain Ellsbury, the guy who is worth the most to retain. The rest are not in his league or long term maybe even keep us from having a premium guy in their slot 2-3 years from now. We offered the QO and at least one of them probably accepts it. My bet is probably Napoli. So half the potentially available cash is gone right there.

We picked up Lester's option costing us some cash. We will have some guys getting raises. It is so difficult to move salaries like Dempsters but Peavy is probably a salary dump waiting to happen if we want with maybe a little return also in terms of player value. Enabling us to get a premium guy like Erving Santana, Tanaka or Kuroda plus the trade value of a Peavy plus Napoli. There should be a little left over for maybe a Kurt Suzuki at catcher and a Rajai Davis in the OF. 

I know it doesn't sound appealing but a starting rotation of Lester. Buchholz, Kuroda, Lackey, Doubront sounds fine with me. That alone gets this team in the playoffs IMO. We have enough hitting to get there with that level of starting pitching. I'm rolling the dice with the best starting rotation in baseball. 

Bogaerts probably replaces Drews offense. Middlebrooks probably improves what we got out of 3rd last year. We can play Papi some at 1st, or Nava or Carp. What is all that bad about that? There is a decent chance if Napoli leaves we can add a Kuroda and replace Ellsbury with Choo and move Victorino and JBJ to CF with Choo in RF. Choo is a real solid bat who is probably better than Ellsbury offensively. 

That's a better team to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lastly, $5 million dollars is no longer considered "enough money" for a lot these guys to play somewhere when they prefer to be somewhere else these days. More and more players are willing to take less money to play where they are comfortable.  There was a buzz about that at the Winter Meetings last year, and the Crawford/Gonzalez deals were mentioned often.

Not too long ago, someone suggested to Dustin Pedroia that he was selling himself short, moneywise. His response was, "Seriously, what can I buy with 80 million that I can't buy with 40 million?!"  Eric Chavez wouldn't have played for a team that didn't train in Arizona last year, Brandon McCarthy told his agent that he didn't care where he played, just as long as THAT team trained in Arizona.  These are just a few examples, but you will see more of this going forward.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could really care less what you do and don't believe, I was just trying to point out some facts when you initially posted that you thought the Sox should have pursued Kuroda, when you clearly had no clue as to whether they did or not.  Again, read up on the guy a little, so you can post with some intelligence, and not clutter up the board with "Sign Kuroda" posts.  

By the way, you basically called me a liar, so I challenge you to go through my nearly 3000 posts and find one where I used "made up" information.  Also, just because YOU didn't see it or read about it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and maybe, just maybe, some people who participate in sports forums, have more access to information than others... 

[/QUOTE]

Show us the link which says Kuroda turned down $5 mil more from Boston dude! Yeah, I am calling you out on that. WTFU. I don't believe it. Does ANYONE HERE have a link with that info which is at all credible. I think not or yeah, I think I would have heard about it.

Go ahead. Prove it or even come close to proving it. You say they are "facts". I don't think what you said is a fact. You can certainly disagree with me and criticize me all you want but I've yet to see a shred of proof that what you have said is correct and if ANYONE here has proof or even a report of it I'd like to see it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I did see that Kuroda said he wanted to stay in NY last year but I never saw anything about being offered $5 mil more or even close to that amount more. Your position suffers from a certain lack of precision....

I recognize that very few will agree with my position of what I would do. I doubt seriously if Redsox management follows my blueprint. I'm just saying what I would do, not what I think will happen.

What I think will happen is they sign Salty to a multiyear deal at less than the QO, that they get Napoli on a one year deal. That Drew walks and that Ellsbury walks. We spend what money left we have left mainly for a RH OF like Guttierez.

Does that make us better than my scenario? I think not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Show us the link which says Kuroda turned down $5 mil more from Boston dude! Yeah, I am calling you out on that. WTFU. I don't believe it. Does ANYONE HERE have a link with that info which is at all credible. I think not or yeah, I think I would have heard about it.

Go ahead. Prove it or even come close to proving it. You say they are "facts". I don't think what you said is a fact. You can certainly disagree with me and criticize me all you want but I've yet to see a shred of proof that what you have said is correct and if ANYONE here has proof or even a report of it I'd like to see it.

[/QUOTE]
    http://riveraveblues.com/2012/11/marchand-kuroda-left-money-on-the-table-to-re-sign-with-yankees-79495/

There's a link saying he turned down more money and years to re-sign with New York, but that's not where I heard it.  That took all of 3 seconds to google, but if you are going to call me a liar because I may have heard something that may or may not have been printed, don't worry, I won't banter with you anymore, as "riveting" as your "Sign Kuroda" posts have become. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we have money to spend and can't do a top pitcher I'd probably look at Choo and/or McCann. Both are real solid bats which would do well in Fenway.

I don't see McCann's bat as that much better than Salty's.

Pass.

I'd love Choo's OBP up 1st next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Choo/Victorino/Pedroia .... one of the best 1-3's in MLB. Bye Ellesbury, thanks for everything.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo/Victorino/Pedroia .... one of the best 1-3's in MLB. Bye Ellesbury, thanks for everything.

[/QUOTE]

If somehow we could also get a solid 5 hitter and bring Naps back to hit 6th, our offense would be awesome on paper.

1) Choo  RF

2) Vict   CF

3) Pedey 2B

4) Papi  DH

5) Bopper  3B/LF/C

6) Napoli  1B

7) Bogey  SS

8) Nava/Gomes/Middy

9) Middy/Ross/Lava

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Kuroda isn't even a remote necessity for this team. Surprised such ideas are being hatched in this hallowed thread of brains.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

moon that line-up is a winner. I love McCann but he isn't the right move as a free-agent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I brought this up last winter, and not many posters supported the idea. With Pedey having his lowest career SLG% year, it might make less sense than ever, but I still like the idea of flipping Papi and Pedey in the line-up, or at least putting Pedey back to the 2 slot and making the 3 slot Papi's for good.

The sample size may be small (139 career PAs), but Pedey's best OPS in his career has been from the 4 slot:

1-  .712

2-  .839

3-  .800

4- 1.117

Possible line-up:

1) Choo

2) Vict

3) Papi

4) Pedey

5) Naps

6) Nava/Gomes

7) Bogey

8) Drew or Salty

9) Ross or Middy 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Choo does have a couple of negatives.  His career OPS against lefties is .680, the same as Carl Crawford's - who moon always called a glorified platoon player.

The other is his fielding, -15 UZR the last 2 years in a row.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If somehow we could also get a solid 5 hitter and bring Naps back to hit 6th, our offense would be awesome on paper.

1) Choo  RF

2) Vict   CF

3) Pedey 2B

4) Papi  DH

5) Bopper  3B/LF/C

6) Napoli  1B

7) Bogey  SS

8) Nava/Gomes/Middy

9) Middy/Ross/Lava

[/QUOTE]

Agree Moon, 6th is ideal Naps spot.  Didn't realize Big B. Bopper was a FA this year. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Kuroda isn't even a remote necessity for this team. Surprised such ideas are being hatched in this hallowed thread of brains.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see us going after Kuroda, but let's make an assumption:

If we sign Kuroda, and we trade something like Doubront, Middy, Brentz, Betts and de la Rosa for Stanton, would we be better in 2014?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I don't see Choo as an equal replacement for Ellsbury. His defense is inferior and he doesn't hit left-handed pitching at all. Add to that his likely cost will be in the $15-$18mil range which makes him a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Tendering the three free agents gets us a draft pick if they go elsewhere AND opens the door for further negotiations. Drew and Napoli might in fact accept; Ells certainly won't. I still think we will see three out of four return, Naps, Salty and Drew. All three may end up with less per year than the QO, but the QO gives us protection. I could see Napoli at 3/$40, Drew at 3/$36 and Salty at 3/$30 and could live with any and all of those deals.

If indeed Ells follows the money I believe we replace him from within with Bradley and possibly go after lower-cost insurance in someone like Rajai Davis. This team is in a far different position than in the past two years regarding free agency. They don't need to make a big splash to sell seats or to keep a tainted sell-out streak alive. I think they will try to toe the line with regard to free-agency spending outside the organization. I think the best PR they can buy was bought and paid for by winning. Beyond that, the pressure to bring back as many of the winners as possible, without laying to waste our long-term plans, will be the goal of this off-season.

Maybe some of you internet research folks can clarify something for me. If we were to trade a Dempster as a salary dump, but agree to pay half or more of his salary, does the receiving team absorb the entire contract for luxary tax purposes or just the portion they pay, leaving us responsible, for tax purposes, for what we pay?