AAA Catcher Dan Butler added to 40 man Roster

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: AAA Catcher Dan Butler added to 40 man Roster

Butler is the only catcher in AAA which means as of right now Lavarnway will be in AAA for the start of 2013. Salty and Ross will be in Boston. Christian vaquez was just promoted to AA at the end of the 2012 season, so I dont see him starting in AAA in 2013. No other catcher in the system is that advanced.

Although that leaves 5 Catchers on the 40-man, which is far too many...Looks like a trade is likely soon...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Maybe Tek could be had for a paltry $5 million deal for one season as player/special advisor assistant to all pitchers and catchers (SAAPC) ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe Tek could be had for a paltry $5 million deal for one season as player/special advisor assistant to all pitchers and catchers (SAAPC) ?

[/QUOTE]

Hes already working in the FO and will be involved with the catchers...Not sure what theyre paying him, but Im sure its nowhere near 5M...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I bet if he catches 50 games and bats .155 and helps Lester and Lackey maintain 4.99 era they will be happy to waste... er I mean pay him 5 mil.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I bet if he catches 50 games and bats .155 and helps Lester and Lackey maintain 4.99 era they will be happy to waste... er I mean pay him 5 mil.

[/QUOTE]

haha...I think they did that one year too many already ET...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Salty will be traded, sooooon !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

So here is the 40 man roster breakdown 11/21/12:

23 pitchers (same number-a few different names)

5 catchers (2 more than before) Trade brewing ????

1 DH Same)

11 position players other than catcher( keep in mind 7 start-4 reserves out of 40 players) that includes Gomez, Sands, Hassan, Sweeney, Iggy, Ciriaco, Kalish, Nava, Pedroia, Middlebrooks, Ells---

BenC----you plan to have Farrell go to battle with this group of 11 position players? This seems too similar to 2012--new manager---same GM...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So here is the 40 man roster breakdown 11/21/12:

23 pitchers (same number-a few different names)

5 catchers (2 more than before) Trade brewing ????

1 DH Same)

11 position players other than catcher( keep in mind 7 start-4 reserves out of 40 players) that includes Gomez, Sands, Hassan, Sweeney, Iggy, Ciriaco, Kalish, Nava, Pedroia, Middlebrooks, Ells---

BenC----you plan to have Farrell go to battle with this group of 11 position players? This seems too similar to 2012--new manager---same GM...

[/QUOTE]

Webster Wright Wilson  -  Pitching,   Vazquez and Butler - catching and Hassan 6 players that the sox will need to trade release or waivers within ten days. The sox organizarion saying that Butler was the biggest suprise this year. Does this mean he will be a Pawtucket starting catcher or on the trade block, and Lavarnway back in triple A . Salty and Ross sharing the duties in the Red Sox Nation.  My guess is that either Lavarnway or Butler could be involved in a trade soon. The whole 40 man roster will be playing musical chairs before spring training starts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Butler is a good defensive catcher and has a decent bat. Went undrafted and just turned 26 yrs old. No way will they carry 5 catchers so a trade will happen. Who gets traded is anyones guess...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty or Lava will be traded. I've said this for months, especially now that Papi has taken the DH position away from Lava.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There was zero chance that Lavarnway was going to be the regular DH.

[/QUOTE]  THe next CARLTON FISK, you watch & see !!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Never even hinted that would be the case.

My position was that if we didn't keep Papi, Lava might have been the DH vs some RHPs and catcher vs all LHPs, that is, before we got Ross. 

I also clearly stated that if we kept Papi (especially for 2 years), it made no sense to keep Salty & Lava. Once we signed Ross, the trade is all but done.

We should have made the deal before the rule 5/40 man roster set date, so we could have kept Fields.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My position was that if we didn't keep Papi, Lava might have been the DH vs some RHPs and catcher vs all LHPs, that is, before we got Ross. 

I also clearly stated that if we kept Papi (especially for 2 years), it made no sense to keep Salty & Lava. Once we signed Ross, the trade is all but done.

We should have made the deal before the rule 5/40 man roster set date, so we could have kept Fields.

[/QUOTE]

Got a feeling its going to be Lavarnway. But since hes got more value than salty, he should net a better return..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Got a feeling its going to be Lavarnway. But since hes got more value than salty, he should net a better return..

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but there may be a team that wants to win in 2013 and has a high need for offense from a position of previous weakness at catcher.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but there may be a team that wants to win in 2013 and has a high need for offense from a position of wekaness at catcher.

[/QUOTE]

agreed. It will depend on the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I saw Butler catch last year early in the season while he was at Portland.  He has a gun behind the plate, he threw out two baserunners the game I as at.  I don't know if he can hit but he can certainly play defense.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Who gets traded will depend on the team and their needs/wants and what we we value getting back in return. Im fine with either Salty, Lav or Vasquez getting traded if there is a significant return...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, it makes more sense to trade Salty, unless we plan on extending him. I know we may get morew for Lava, but if we trade Lava, we will need to pin all our hopes on Swihart or Vazquez as our catching future. McCann will cost a ton  next year as a FA.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If we can get more for Lav, then I say we trade him for pitching and let Salty, whos much better than him at this stage, split time with Ross in his final arb year.

Maybe Vasquez, who finished the year in AA will be ready to at least split some time and learn more from Ross in 2014...

If not, then there are a couple catchers in 2014 that we could get on a 1 or 2 year deal.