Aaron Cook, what will the sox do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

Aaron Cook, what will the sox do?

Any idea what the sox will do about Aaron Cook ?

I think they should consider sending Buchholz down to Pawtucket.

And as much as I think Bard should be in the pen, I dont feel it would be fair to him, however any player on the roster should be willing to take on any role that is needed of them without having to be asked.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/04/red-sox-cant-afford-to-allow-aaron-cook-to-walk-away-by-opt-out-date.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

Re: Aaron Cook, what will the sox do?

In Response to Aaron Cook, what will the sox do?:
    [QUOTE]Any idea what the sox will do about Aaron Cook ? I think they should consider sending Buchholz down to Pawtucket.   And as much as I think Bard should be in the pen, I dont feel it would be fair to him, however any player on the roster should be willing to take on any role that is needed of them without having to be asked. http://www.nesn.com/2012/04/red-sox-cant-afford-to-allow-aaron-cook-to-walk-away-by-opt-out-date.html
    Posted by lstboss[/QUOTE]

does anyone see this post ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I thought this was a very appropriate comment recently that sort of explains to Ben and ownership the importance of being earnest--rewarding those players whose performance warrants an opportunity. Reward the best performing players by putting them on the field. REWARD EXCELLENCE!!!!!

User Image
    oldson50 wrote:
    Just as I was afraid of, all of those who were penciling in Buchholz for number 3 were overly optimistic. Absolutely belongs in the bullpen, where he might be of more use and it might wake him up. Why Red SOx management feel these guys are entitled to something is beyond me. He should have earned his position in spring training, where guys like Cook were doing great, and it was handed to him and Cook was given a pass to Pawtucket. Just like several others, Ciriaco, Lavarnway. Until the Sox put there hungriest, best performing folks on the field it will continue to be three lossess two wins, two losses, threee wins etc, etc

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I'd put Buch on the DL for a couple weeks, and starts Cook.  If Cook is as good as he was in the spring and the last month in Pawtucket he'll be just what the sox need.  give them productive innings and keep the other team off the board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I guess they could DL Buch---he's not really injured he just needs to work his program and then realize how lucky he is to be paid the kind opf money he's getting. In addition realize when this contract expires, unless he does something productive between now and then, he might be on the street looking for a job.
    That may get his attention---he may be a different person when he returns.

"Live the Dream."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Buchholz' last start was actually pretty solid.  Was gassed in his last inning, but even then, it wasn't like he got hit hard.  I am not so keen on sending him down at this point.  He spent basically a year out of action.  I am inclined to give him more than 4 starts to work it out, especially since he showed improvement the last time out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Cook, what will the sox do?:
    [QUOTE]Buchholz' last start was actually pretty solid.  Was gassed in his last inning, but even then, it wasn't like he got hit hard.  I am not so keen on sending him down at this point.  He spent basically a year out of action.  I am inclined to give him more than 4 starts to work it out, especially since he showed improvement the last time out.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Yup! Lowered his era by 0.13. That extra 1/3 of an inning sure helped! To be fair though, his WHIP did go from a 1.80 to a 1.92.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

My guess is the Sox will put him on the block for another washed up OFer or reliever.
    If they brought him up they would have to honor a major league contract. He is more valuable as trade bait with the way he is pitching. it's all about the $$$, not about helping the team win.

If they trade him for some medicore has-been, I'll seriously consider a boycott.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Let Buch play by this point.

I feel like the best option for this 2012 team is Aaron Cook starting Bard in the 'pen. This isn't factoring in "what Bard deserves" or "best future for Bard", putting Bard in the 'pen as the closer solidifies the 9th, this puts Aceves into his most valuable role of late inning/multiple inning relief, and Cook will probably put up similar numbers to Bard at this stage of Bard's career as a starter (which is just breaking into the role).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

he needs a shot.....Buch to bullpen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aaron Cook, what will the sox do? : Yup! Lowered his era by 0.13. That extra 1/3 of an inning sure helped! To be fair though, his WHIP did go from a 1.80 to a 1.92.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

While I appreciate tongue-in-cheek as much as the next guy, my point is valid.  Sure, last inning was tough, but if the bullpen had picked him up at all, your tongue-in-cheek stats would actually be solid improvements.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aaron Cook, what will the sox do? : While I appreciate tongue-in-cheek as much as the next guy, my point is valid.  Sure, last inning was tough, but if the bullpen had picked him up at all, your tongue-in-cheek stats would actually be solid improvements.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

It's the cynic in me. Sorry.

Your point is valid. I've always thought relievers get off the hook too easy when they let inherited runners score. I've been a proponet of charging 1/2 an earned run to both pitchers in those cases.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Cook will surely be called up. Sox will not waste the time they have invested in him by allowing him to opt out.  Let's not go overboard though. The guy is not all that good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Cook will surely be called up. Sox will not waste the time they have invested in him by allowing him to opt out.  Let's not go overboard though. The guy is not all that good.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but this is a great time to find out. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I don't see how they would let Cook walk ... and no, that doesn't require a drastic move with Buchholz.  Cook's contract doesn't prevent them from putting him in the BP ... he can only opt out if he isn't on the 25 man roster.  If they don't have room in the rotation for him now they will find room in the pen with an understanding that he is the #6 starter and, I would bet, some understanding about how he will be used out of the pen to prevent injury.  If Cook really doesn't like doing that, he might choose to waive the May 1 opt out and wait for June but I would bet he'd rather go to the pen and get back to the bigs.  Given that two of our starters will have limits on IP (and the usual missed starts for various reasons), it seems pretty likely Cook would get about 20 starts.

Regarding how good he is (or not good), this board tends to extremes.  People seem to think he is either our savior or that he is awful.  He's had injury issues for the last couple of years which have hurt his performance.  He's got a career 4.5 ERA (in a weaker league/division) and a 1.47 WHIP.  The WHIP is troubling on its face but he is a ground ball pitcher and what he gives up tend to be singles (.75 HR/9IP).  If he is healthy, he's a credible #5 starter so we should be damn happy to have him as our #6.  This is especially true with Bard and Felix unlikely to put up 30+ starts.  Between Cook and maybe Dice, I think the Sox should have decent rotation depth and options as long as the black cloud of injury doesn't take too much of a toll on our starters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

In an amazing turn of events, on April 30th Buchholtz will develop a minor inflamation in his elbow which will require a short stay on the DL and a rehab assignment with the PawSox. Cook will make a few starts for the Sox (while Buch is rehabbing) and will showcase his abilities. If Cook is successful, another strange injury to a starter will occur approximately 30 days after Buch was sent down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In an amazing turn of events, on April 30th Buchholtz will develop a minor inflamation in his elbow which will require a short stay on the DL and a rehab assignment with the PawSox. 
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

That's a possibility.  But since they have other options for keeping Cook around I don't think they do it unless they thought that was the best way to get Buch back on track.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

Cook should get a start and see how it goes. Need Bard in the bullpen since it is a mess. Dubront has been pretty good and Buch really isn't a pen guy so let him get a few more starts before we pull the plug on him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Cook in the starting rotation.  Ideally Bard would go to the bullpen, but I'm not confident they will do that.  I say Bucholz to the bullpen.  Maybe he even works his way into the closer role.

And say the starting 5 plus Cook are all healthy and Dice-K comes back.  Now there's 7 starters, or does Dice-K go to the pen also???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

He needs to go to the pen now. They could go back to 13 and send Lars Down, or send Thomas back down.
    Either way, it's likely one of the starters will end up on the DL soon, and we'll need him to step in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He's definitely going to Boston, probably to the bullpen.  Too early to pull the plug on Buchholz.  Lester and Beckett are starters, period.  Doubront is too.  If Bard is good tonight, that's the 5th slot. 

That said, it's pretty handy to have a possible/probable starter in the bullpen should something come up.  Examples:  a horrible start demanding long relief; a sick or injured starter; a terrible starter (Buchholz is close).