Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!!

In Response to Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!!:
    [QUOTE]My thoughts: I find it ridiculous that Ben has to act like he's a GM of a small market team. He has to trade a veteran to free up money?  Preposterous! This is a first class team supported by die-hard loyal fans who deserve a championship caliber team every season. Ownership, go over the luxury tax and get Oswalt or someone comparable and try to win the World Series! Scutaro talks signal that Cherington isn't done
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

It showed it was a first class team last year.And your die hard loyal fans will show up year after year . Why waste money ??? I say that Phillies were a first class team last year .What Happened to all the millions they spent?. Pro Baseball is not a video game like most posters on here believe.It is a huge business and owners will run it that way. QUESTION? If this was your team and your money would you listen to every yahoo like you who demand the sox to just go out and spend ,spend ,spend. I don't think you understand that when a team goes out and spends 300 mil on TWO !! players ,,Yes very good players ,you crying Yahoos blame owner for not going out and blowing more of his money. To all you crying Yahoos out there.You are all talking through your Azz hole.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Re: Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!!

They're over the cap, or will be anyhow. They're just saving money. 1 year deals only too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The problem with this team is it's both too expensive, AND it has too many missing pieces to actually win it all this season as currently configured. This is partly due to poor spending decisions by Theo in the past, and to injuries knocking out two starting pitchers. The solutions are to spend boldly and charge over the luxury salary cap of $179 million by 30-40 or more millions, or stay under the cap this season and allow the rate to fall from the current 30% to 17% for next yr. This would allow us to aggressively enter what could be a very good FA market next season, at a time the Yanks would have a 50% tax burden. If we exceed the cap by $1.00 this yr, the rate  rises from 30%to 40% next yr., and if we are under the cap by $1.00 the rate falls to 17%.  As an example, it would raise a Carl Crawford contract (if we were to sign him as a FA NEXT season, and if the full amount of his salary was over the limit) from roughly $20 million to $28 million for the yr...see the problem?

Now, you could argue that Henry and the boys can easily handle adding another $40 million to salaries, but regardless of your view, they've simply shown no willingness to do so. I have argued that to limp over the cap by a few million would be the height of stupidity, because the limitations it places on our ability to sign FA's next season, and the small improvement it would bring to the club this season, would make it not worth it. Noting with interest their desire to trade Scutero to dump some salary, I THINK we might be on the same page. But I've thought that before only to find myself perplexed by moves which seem to contradict that. We'll all find out soon enough I guess.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE SOX REALLY ARE A THIRD PLACE TEAM AT BEST
    THIS YR. YOUKILIS HAS DETERIORATED AS A BATTER
    AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY A FULL SEASON. HE
    WILL BE LUCKY TO GET 75 TO 80 RBI'S. CRAWFORD
    STILL WILL HAVE THAT WEIRD STANCE AND WILL NOT
    IMPROVE MUCH. PAPI IS ONE YR. OLDER AND IT IS
    DOUBTFUL HIS BAT SPEED WILL INCREASE. WE HAVE
    NO LEGIT RF BAT. OUR SS IS A LOUSY FIELDER AND
    IS GETTING OLDER. OUR PITCHING IS A CRAP SHOOT
    BECKETT IS ON THE DECLINE; LESTER HAS NOT COME
    UP BIG IN KEY GAMES , AND BUCHHOLZ IS COMING
    OFF INJURIES. WE DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO
    MATCHING STAFFS WITH THE YANKS OR RAYS.
    WE WILL BE LUCKY TO FIGHT OFF THE JAYS FOR
    FOURTH PLACE. THE LACKEY AND CRAWFORD DEALS
    ABSOLUTELY CRIPPLED THIS TEAM, AND EPSTEIN]
    FLEW THE COOP, SCOT FREE TO PROFIT IN CHICAGO !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

More defensive dribble from the accountants on this forum. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY! Quit worrying about JHs pocketbook. He can afford it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Haha! A word mincer eh? Ok. There is a luxury tax on teams whose salary exceeds $179 million for 2012+2013. In 2014, this SALARY CAP will rise to $189 million. The tax hit applies only to that portion over the luxury tax SALARY CAP.

In Response to Re: Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!!:
    [QUOTE]There is no salary cap in baseball.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

charington and the RS made one BIG mistake this teay, and it was Ortiz! if the RS had just let him stew they would now have the money to sign a pitcher or two, along with a decent right fielder.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!!:
    [QUOTE]More defensive dribble from the accountants on this forum. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY! Quit worrying about JHs pocketbook. He can afford it.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Be happy we're #2 in spending.  There are a lot more owners than that that have a lot more money than JH.  I think he ranks 7-8th.  If all owners spent personal wealth, we'd be 7-8th in payroll.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

is they are worried abut money, why pay a 37 year old dh 12.6 million, better and cheaper options

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]More defensive dribble from the accountants on this forum. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY! Quit worrying about JHs pocketbook. He can afford it.

Rational Fan – What did you think of Papelbon signing with the Phillies? Seems like a lot of money to give to a reliever.

Irrational Fan – You can’t let Paps leave, it’s not my money. Give him what he wants.

Rational Fan – Not really sure it’s wise to invest five years into a closer, especially one who’s walk rate was on the rise the two years previous. True it’s sad to see him go but $50 million for a reliever is ridiculous.

Irrational Fan – Yeah, but that stare he does.

Rational Fan- ….

Irrational Fan - Lucchino Sucks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It doesn't take a genious to understand their objective, nor to understand that it is a business.

But as you have access to Henry's personal financials, exactly how much free cash does he have now and how much is he projected to have over the next 12-24 months?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Dah!!! It's not about he can afford it. It's about be smart with your money. How in the Heck do you think JH makes his money /> Listening to the Yahoo on here? You yahoo should quit worrying about JHs pocketbook. Can you afford to just shut up?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]is they are worried abut money, why pay a 37 year old dh 12.6 million, better and cheaper options
    Posted by itllnevahapn[/QUOTE]

If a player is paid for his stats then ORTIZ is like any other player.So if he was 24 you would pay him 20 mil.....37 year old  great stats.. good deal

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!! : Rational Fan – What did you think of Papelbon signing with the Phillies? Seems like a lot of money to give to a reliever. Irrational Fan – You can’t let Paps leave, it’s not my money. Give him what he wants. Rational Fan – Not really sure it’s wise to invest five years into a closer, especially one who’s walk rate was on the rise the two years previous. True it’s sad to see him go but $50 million for a reliever is ridiculous. Irrational Fan – Yeah, but that stare he does. Rational Fan- …. Irrational Fan - Lucchino Sucks.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

Very well stated....Irrational fans just don't get it!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

I sure wish all you RATIONAL fans had started being rational last year. While I was stating my concerns over signing Crawford, many here were trying to buy
    WS tickets. If the ownership in 2011 paid an outrageous salary for a player they really didn't need, it's a little late now to claim poverty as the reason they can't fill positions they do need.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I sure wish all you RATIONAL fans had started being rational last year. While I was stating my concerns over signing Crawford, many here were trying to buy WS tickets. If the ownership in 2011 paid an outrageous salary for a player they really didn't need, it's a little late now to claim poverty as the reason they can't fill positions they do need.
    Posted by Thomasmtom[/QUOTE]

Many posters slammed me for saying the CC signing "would cripple us for 7 years"; many of them we of the school of "spend the money: it's not mine" thooght.

The reality is that we have always been close to the luxury tax limit, and with rising tax rates looming, it is not irrational to see the value in lowering our rate for the future instead of raising it. If it goes up to 40% next year and we want to sign Matt Cain for $18M/yr, it could actually cost us close to $25M a year! If we are at 17% instead of 40%, it might only cost about $21M/yr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Heya Zac. Great movie! And a very interesting problem he had. I do agree that it's going to be hard to both compete this season, and stay under the cap. I believe next year will be a good one for FA's, and that while we'll be somewhat competitive this season, we don't have the horses to win it all. I say the smart move is to stay under the $179 million line for this season, let the luxury tax reset to 17%, and then go hog wild solving all our problems next off season. Trickling a tad over the line is a worst case scenario for me...but I almost suspect they will do that very thing. But regardless, we'll have some decent baseball this season. I give you guys a major edge, but we still gotta play all the games. See you on the field of battle!

[QUOTE]greetings teakus If we exceed the cap by $1.00 this yr, the rate rises from 30%to 40% next yr., and if we are under the cap by $1.00 the rate falls to 17%. as a mfyfan I can't help but think about that movie 'brewsters millions' with that hot accountant that was a plant and tricked monty about the books seems 2me  mr selig deserves a little credit for at least   sneaking a temporary salary cap  past the union nothing wrong with having a budget with the goal of staying under the line but I think it's a little different when you lose 2/5 of your rotation to the DL if you needed that $25mill worth of talent last yr why not this yr or at least a guy that is available for 1 yr
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Abraham:Cherington isn't done/free up money for Oswalt/trade Youkilis? Preposterous-Go over the luxury tax!! : Many posters slammed me for saying the CC signing "would cripple us for 7 years"; many of them we of the school of "spend the money: it's not mine" thooght. The reality is that we have always been close to the luxury tax limit, and with rising tax rates looming, it is not irrational to see the value in lowering our rate for the future instead of raising it. If it goes up to 40% next year and we want to sign Matt Cain for $18M/yr, it could actually cost us close to $25M a year! If we are at 17% instead of 40%, it might only cost about $21M/yr.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with what you've stated, however I don't believe signing Ross to play RF or adding a couple more arms to compete for spots in the rotation can wait. Making the move in July hasn't been productive.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.