Aceves suspended

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Re: Aceves suspended

In Response to Re: Aceves suspended:
    [QUOTE]I think Aceves punched his ticket out of town last night.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Perhaps but that's assuming that he wanted to stay.  All things considered he likely wants out too.

Aceves is a great middle, long relief guy.  The Yankees let him walk because they were concerned about his back and they had better options.  

He will likely endup elsewhere, .. perhaps even back with the Yankees and it will be the RS loss.  He is a quality relief pitcher and the RS, .. like any other team, .. could use all of them that they can get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]so really going forward they are paying nothing to move these guys Really, going forward, they just paid 12 million to get rid of Beckett and Crawford. Really, going forward, farm scraps aren't going to "help in the future". Ownership washed their hands of the millions in mistakes from the two stooges. It cost them more than 12 million, over the last two years.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

What 12 million? Is this the money they paid LAD? If so, compared to the 270 Mil albatross, it's a bargain. Even Jacob Marley would pay 12 Mil (or 20-25 Mil even, as I thought it was) to be free from those chains.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]If Big Papi takes the rest of the season off, as this article indicates is a distinct possibility, do not assume he will be back for more of the dysfunction in "Oh Henryville"...Some other team, including the Yanks, might very well offer him one more chance at winning another ring, as opposed to finishing out his days while John Henry tries to keep his financial Titanic afloat... http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8303187/david-ortiz-boston-red-sox-lineup-achilles-flares-up
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]

i didnt realize that papi had the option to "take the rest of the season off."  I thought that if he were healthy, he would be required to fulfill his contractual obligations....the fact that he is a DH and was hurt jogging around the bases is all the proof i need that (1) he is a goldbricker (2) a prima donna who learned his trade from manny/beckett (3) should not be in our future plans....save his 20 million that he thinks he deserves and get a pitcher

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : Carnie..It is not about hating the team..It is about hating it when owners pull apart a great franchise to support their own bottom line...But I apologize for my negativity..I just cannot get how people are not seeing what is happening...Papi possibly does not really want to play any more this year...What does that tell you...I guess I will just keep my mouth zipped...I still cannot believe what they have done...
    Maybe what people are seeing differs greatly from what you are seeing.
    About the mouth, good idea.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : i didnt realize that papi had the option to "take the rest of the season off."  I thought that if he were healthy, he would be required to fulfill his contractual obligations....the fact that he is a DH and was hurt jogging around the bases is all the proof i need that (1) he is a goldbricker (2) a prima donna who learned his trade from manny/beckett (3) should not be in our future plans....save his 20 million that he thinks he deserves and get a pitcher
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    I don't regard Big Papi as a goldbricker, though it's fair to dub him as one if he chooses to "call in sick" for the rest of the season....He probably will return this year, but I wonder if he stays with the Red Sox come next season..I would not bet any money on it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : I don't regard Big Papi as a goldbricker, though it's fair to dub him as one if he chooses to "call in sick" for the rest of the season....He probably will return this year, but I wonder if he stays with the Red Sox come next season..I would not bet any money on it...

Who cares?  With the moves they just made why would they spend 15 million on a DH?  It's rebuilding mode time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

This is long overdue but glad to see the Red Sox starting to show the players they don't run the team! Aceves has no leg to stand on he has been horrid as a closer and he throws a tantrum because he didn't get to close last night. I still like him for how he handled him self last season he was very unselfish and pitched in many different places starter pen ect but this kind of behavor needs to be handled accordingly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I think the suspension is largely just for show, to indicate BV is in charge now; if not that there would be some other excuse; not a bad idea, BTW

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

Bye Aceves. You got nothing at all, it shows, and you are all but done here. Impressive blown saves though, bye.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Bye Aceves. You got nothing at all, it shows, and you are all but done here. Impressive blown saves though, bye.
    Posted by Granite2000[/QUOTE]

Wow.  Some of the Sox "fans" give up really, really quick.  Make a mistake - get out of town.

CS, Aviles?  Get your bags packed!

Hey Mauro Gomez, nice game!!  4 for 5?! That might play in Pawtucket, but not here in Boston!! Get to steppin'!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Aceves suspended": [QUOTE]so really going forward they are paying nothing to move these guys Really, going forward, they just paid 12 million to get rid of Beckett and Crawford. Really, going forward, farm scraps aren't going to "help in the future". Ownership washed their hands of the millions in mistakes from the two stooges. It cost them more than 12 million, over the last two years. Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE] Really, going forward, we all know that you're a silly, silly clown.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Aceves suspended": Really, going forward, we all know that you're a silly, silly clown.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]I think you owe moon 10 cents for that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : I don't regard Big Papi as a goldbricker, though it's fair to dub him as one if he chooses to "call in sick" for the rest of the season....He probably will return this year, but I wonder if he stays with the Red Sox come next season..I would not bet any money on it...
    I thought you were going to zip your mouth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : I thought you were going to zip your mouth.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]
    And I thought you could deal with a different opinion, ex, and still be civil, since I did not bother responding to your first obnoxious post.....Keep drinking John Henry's Kool-Aid...And we'll see how long your enthusiasm for the Bridge Years continues...And how long before your whining about a losing team begins in earnest..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : And I thought you could deal with a different opinion, ex, and still be civil, since I did not bother responding to your first obnoxious post.....Keep drinking John Henry's Kool-Aid...And we'll see how long your enthusiasm for the Bridge Years continues...And how long before your whining about a losing team begins in earnest..
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]So you think we'll have a losing record next year? We might have to talk about that after we settle up for this year. Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : And I thought you could deal with a different opinion, ex, and still be civil, since I did not bother responding to your first obnoxious post.....Keep drinking John Henry's Kool-Aid...And we'll see how long your enthusiasm for the Bridge Years continues...And how long before your whining about a losing team begins in earnest..
    You said you'd zip, not I. But you didn't follow through. I just gave you a reminder.
    I've not expressed "enthusiasm" one way or the other or whined about anything.
    You contribute nothing to this board. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Carnie, listen..I do feel genuinely uncomfortable about being so negative yesterday and today..But I really am peyoed about how the John Henry's of the world (yes, I know it is a business and it is his money) can slice and dice a team to meet their financial bottom line, with no concern for the fans or the future of the franchise..I do believe this rivalry is done for a while and it's sad. I really do want the Red Sox to be there year after year, because the rivalry is a big thing to me.. . Why? Because the Yanks are not winning anything this year, other than maybe getting to play in the ALDS before they get knocked out..And  if  they make it as far as the ALCS, they will never get by the Rangers, the Rays or whoever else makes it there.. But you always had RS-Yankees to fall back on...Now that the RS are likely to be a 4th  place doormat for a while, I do not see the real rivalry happening again for 3 years or more  ...I admit that I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that John Henry really is not going to be owning this team 5 or 6 years from now, or even sooner..I think he will do what he needs to to cut his losses, but I doubt he cares a whit about the future of the RS team...Anymore than he cares about Liverpool judging by how his ownership has gone there....Again, I apologize if I have been overly negative about this Sell-Off, but I am not the only one who thinks a once proud franchise has been dismantled like a kid owner's toy...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Carnie, listen..I do feel genuinely uncomfortable about being so negative yesterday and today..But I really am peyoed about how the John Henry's of the world (yes, I know it is a business and it is his money) can slice and dice a team to meet their financial bottom line, with no concern for the fans or the future of the franchise..I do believe this rivalry is done for a while and it's sad. I really do want the Red Sox to be there year after year, because the rivalry is a big thing to me.. . Why? Because the Yanks are not winning anything this year, other than maybe getting to play in the ALDS before they get knocked out..And  if  they make it as far as the ALCS, they will never get by the Rangers, the Rays or whoever else makes it there.. But you always had RS-Yankees to fall back on...Now that they  are likelyto be a 4th  place doormat for a while, I do not see the real rivalry happening again for 3 years or more  ...I admit that I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that John Henry really is not going to be owning this team 5 or 6 years from now, or even sooner..I think he will do what he needs to to cut his losses, but I doubt he cares a whit about the future of the RS team...Anymore than he cares about Liverpool judging by how his ownership has gone there....Again, I apologize if I have been overly negative about this  Sell-Off, but I am not the only one who thinks a once proud franchise has been dismantled like a kid owner's toy...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]But these franchises are the owners' toys. That's why you can't take them so serious. Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

For the first time ever they cut their losses, hardly abandonment of the desire to be perennial winner. Dropping just one player of that magnitude was not going to be enough to re-float a sunken ship.

Don't kid yourselves about what the ownership wants to do. They are bloody rich and will easily ink up some mega deals over the next two years if their little hearts desire.

I garauntee even if the moves are dumb it will be because they are trying to buy their way back into the WS. This is not Pittsburgh.

P.S. Harry Frazee, Haywood Sullivan, Buddy LeRoux, and Jean Yawkey all did their fair share to dismantle a proud franchise over the past century.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : The RS got away with murder on this trade.  They should have paid 12 mil on Becketts contract alone.   The RS just hit the "reset" button and get to start fresh.  This is he best FO maneuvering since the Jays found a way to dump Vernon Wells and Rios. The question now is, .. which way do they go.  Frankly, the FO would be hard pressed to do worse than Epstein did over the last three years.  Hey they might even land themselves a decent SS after all these years.  But we're still talking about the RS so don't get excited just yet.  
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

This just makes up for the worst FO blunder in history by signing those 3 to long term contracts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]For the first time ever they cut their losses, hardly abandonment of the desire to be perennial winner. Dropping just one player of that magnitude was not going to be enough to re-float a sunken ship. Don't kid yourselves about what the ownership wants to do. They are bloody rich and will easily ink up some mega deals over the next two years if their little hearts desire. I garauntee even if the moves are dumb it will be because they are trying to buy their way back into the WS. This is not Pittsburgh. P.S. Harry Frazee, Haywood Sullivan, Buddy LeRoux, and Jean Yawkey all did their fair share to dismantle a proud franchise over the past century.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]I really hope not. I'm seriously hoping the Red Sox quit trying to be the Yankees and go back to being the Red Sox. If it were me I'd give some of the kids a shot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : But these franchises are the owners' toys. That's why you can't take them so serious.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    That of course is true...But it is the wide-eyed baseball-loving kid in me reacting today...Not the realpolitik adult...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : That of course is true...But it is the wide-eyed baseball-loving kid in me reacting today...Not the realpolitik adult...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]Now if you and I had teams and we were playing each other, that would really be NY vs. Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aceves suspended : Now if you and I had teams and we were playing each other, that would really be NY vs. Boston.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    True...But if you  lose the season series, and I think you will, I might have to pass on a Kropotkin quote and come up with  something far more sinister...Maybe some year and a half old glowing John Henry quote about his commitment to turning Liverpool into a true EPL contender like it once was...Then again, maybe I will go easy on you after all...