Aceves to start tomorrow night vs. Baltimore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Aceves to start tomorrow night vs. Baltimore

Red Sox will start Aceves on Thursday

April, 10, 2013
    Apr 10
    10:53
    AM ET
    The Boston Red Sox on Wednesday announced that Alfredo Aceves will start Thursday night’s game against the Baltimore Orioles, likely pushing Felix Doubront to Friday night and skipping John Lackey, who suffered a strained biceps over the weekend.

The Red Sox had been in wait-and-see mode on Lackey after an MRI did not reveal a tear in the right biceps. A trip to the disabled list has not been ruled out, but Lackey could also return as early as Sunday.

If Lackey doesn’t pitch Sunday, the ball would go to Clay Buchholz, who would be on normal rest. Jon Lester is likely to start on Saturday, also on normal rest, but that has not been made official.

Lackey is coming off Tommy John surgery on his elbow. This injury is not believed to be related.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Aceves to start tomorrow night vs. Baltimore

Oh dear god ... fasten your seat belts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interesting.  Thanks, flapjack.  Must be based on how well Aceves and Doubront pitched last year against Baltimore and Tampa.  I think we all expected Aceves to start one time for Lackey, but I thought it would be Friday or later. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Interesting.  Thanks, flapjack.  Must be based on how well Aceves and Doubront pitched last year against Baltimore and Tampa.  I think we all expected Aceves to start one time for Lackey, but I thought it would be Friday or later. 

Agree. I thought they would use him on Friday, but I guess they decided they like him against Baltimore better than Tampa.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Oh, yay.  Or should it be, oy vey?  I don't expect much from Aceves.  He's been a disaster going on for quite some time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

When he started a few games for us in 2011, I remember him being pretty decent. He also outpitched Bard and Doubront in spring training in 2012, and probably should have gotten a rotation spot.

We've known for a while that Aceves wants to start, and if Lackey is going to miss a few starts I think Aceves and the team should look at it as an opportunity for him to prove that's the role he belongs in. There was talk of the Sox being interested in Aaron Harang in case Lackey was going to be out for a significant amount of time (doesn't look now like that will be the case)...I'd much rather have Aceves able to step in if someone is hurt or falters this year, in the very likely event we don't make it through the season with the same starting five.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Red Sox will start Aceves on Thursday April, 10, 2013 Apr 10 10:53 AM ET By ESPNBoston.com The Boston Red Sox on Wednesday announced that Alfredo Aceves will start Thursday night’s game against the Baltimore Orioles, likely pushing Felix Doubront to Friday night and skipping John Lackey, who suffered a strained biceps over the weekend.

The Red Sox had been in wait-and-see mode on Lackey after an MRI did not reveal a tear in the right biceps. A trip to the disabled list has not been ruled out, but Lackey could also return as early as Sunday.

If Lackey doesn’t pitch Sunday, the ball would go to Clay Buchholz, who would be on normal rest. Jon Lester is likely to start on Saturday, also on normal rest, but that has not been made official.

Lackey is coming off Tommy John surgery on his elbow. This injury is not believed to be related.

i thought they would wait unti Sunday to put in Aceves, since, contrary to what the article says, Buchholz and Lester will be going on 5 days rest, not normal rest, if they pitch Sat and Sun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Aceves has walked as many batters as he has struck out in his 9 starting appearences. Lloyd is right...Fasten your seatbelts folks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We really dont have anyone we can option to AAA?  Webster is starting for the Pawsox tonight...This should be his start!!

This may be a "show us something or you're getting DFA'd start..."

In either case...Id rather see Buster Olney's prediction for Rookie of the Year (Webster)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Aceves has walked as many batters as he has struck out in his 9 starting appearences. Lloyd is right...Fasten your seatbelts folks.

I know .... They must have someone they can option down for a call up....Aceves isnt even stretched out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I know .... They must have someone they can option down for a call up....Aceves isnt even stretched out.

He did pitch 3.2 in relief of Lackey.

I'm not sure Aceves needs to stretch out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think Aceves will hit at least one batter.  What a way to make the Red Sox vs. O's rivalry more intense.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We really dont have anyone we can option to AAA?  Webster is starting for the Pawsox tonight...This should be his start!!

In either case...Id rather see Buster Olney's prediction for Rookie of the Year (Webster)

I think this may be a show me something for Aceves. Morales and Breslow will be back at some point.

Aceves has not had good results as a starter, but hes the 1st option. If he falls on his face I think they might consider Webster for a start or 2 depending on how Lackey feels.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I think this may be a show me something for Aceves. Morales and Breslow will be back at some point.

Aceves has not had good results as a starter, but hes the 1st option. If he falls on his face I think they might consider Webster for a start or 2 depending on how Lackey feels.

this is definitely a show-me/showcase for Ace. With Breslow slated to come back soon (i think Morales was put on the 60 Day DL??) Ace seems to be the odd man out. A great start may shift the blade over to Mort and at the very least improve his trade value for a possible deal once Breslow comes back

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucket656. Show bucket656's posts

well lets all hope aceves steps up, the Os can hit the longball 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

this is definitely a show-me/showcase for Ace. With Breslow slated to come back soon (i think Morales was put on the 60 Day DL??) Ace seems to be the odd man out. A great start may shift the blade over to Mort and at the very least improve his trade value for a possible deal once Breslow comes back

Inb4 "DAD AND THE BIG O SAY A 'BLOCKBUSTER' IS BREWING ... !!!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to bucket656's comment:

BUCKETMAN! good to see you sign up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucket656. Show bucket656's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to bucket656's comment:

BUCKETMAN! good to see you sign up