aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

aceves

IS this guy bagging it because he's pod for not being a starter?Is he trying to get readed?      does he just plain s--k?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

Re: aceves

In Response to aceves:
    [QUOTE]IS this guy bagging it because he's pod for not being a starter?Is he trying to get readed?      does he just plain s--k?
    Posted by udontnojack[/QUOTE]

sorry.traded was the word

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Plain suck you meant? I believe he was the best relief pitcher for the Sox in 2011.  He's just not a closer type IMO.  He tends to get in trouble ealry by walking batters or allowing hits and then gets out of it by striking out next batters or induces GIDP stuff like that.  And a successful closer can't pitch like that in 9th inning.  A closer must have controls on his pitches and strikeout pitch(es).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Aceves is killing my fantasy league team. That being said, I think he is a great pitcher and tough competitor. I don't believe he is suited for the closer role and would have been better off as a strater. Personally, I think he is the perfect middle to 7th inning pitcher.

I know many here were taking payroll issues into account, but I believe messing with what worked for them last year; Aceves, Bard, Paps was a mistake. IMO, Paps is the 2nd best closer in baseball and the Sox should have at least made an attempt to keep him. The juggling of Bard is a question mark now, but if he does not succeed, Boston will have taken an area of pure strength and turned into into an abyss.

For now, I think Boston should let Aceves work through it. Mo got blasted the other day - and he is older than Moses. No reason to quit on them yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The situation with Papelbon is such when you look at what Philadelphia ended up giving him was such that it was near impossible for the RS to retain him.

As it is the RS opening day payroll without Papelbon and without any additional big splash off season signings is over $180M. It was a risk to not retain Papelbon but not the type of handcuffing mistake that a $50M plus contract would have been if Papelbon faltered at some point during the contract.

For a few years the RS saw this coming. They had little stomach for a big $$$ long term deal for a closer, too many BJ Ryan deals over time to feel good about that. But they felt good that Bard would be the successor. That of course before the RS lost Dice K and Lackey for most of 2012 to TJ surgery, while paying them $27M. So all of a sudden the temptation of being able to get 30 starts from Bard became huge.

The RS took a shorter term risk on Bailey who had an impressive record when on the field but also a pretty extensive injury history. While the thumb injury is not related to the past issues, that "risk" has been realized.

They also traded for Melancon hoping to add depth to the bullpen with a potential 8 inning, occasional closer. His ST and early returns are awful. The ST was bad enough that they looked elsewhere.

That left Aceves being slotted into a role that he is ill suited for. Aceves may have the mental attitude to do the job and he won't blow every save opportunity but he just isn't an intimidator and a good % of being a closer is the ability to intimidate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You don't just "invent" a closer by plugging a good pitcher in that spot.

It is a mentality that few possess.

You have to be focused, have a great fastball and have nerves of steel.

You do not put a guy who was a successful set up or middle reliever and say "you are our closer" and bingo it's done!

I like Aceves as a middle reliever or a spot starter, he does not have the pure stuff or the nerve and confidence ( or swagger) to be an elite closer. He is worng for this role and it might ruin his career if they don't move him to another spot and soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: aceves:
    [QUOTE]Aceves is killing my fantasy league team. That being said, I think he is a great pitcher and tough competitor. I don't believe he is suited for the closer role and would have been better off as a strater. Personally, I think he is the perfect middle to 7th inning pitcher. I know many here were taking payroll issues into account, but I believe messing with what worked for them last year; Aceves, Bard, Paps was a mistake. IMO, Paps is the 2nd best closer in baseball and the Sox should have at least made an attempt to keep him. The juggling of Bard is a question mark now, but if he does not succeed, Boston will have taken an area of pure strength and turned into into an abyss. For now, I think Boston should let Aceves work through it. Mo got blasted the other day - and he is older than Moses. No reason to quit on them yet.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

This may have been an interesting post but the second I read anything about someone's fantasy team I instinctively begin slamming my head against the table and screaming "WHY DO YOU THINK ANYONE CARES!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No Papelbon because Theo wanted to spend the $ on Crawford and Jenks instead.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I think that fredo is clearly out of his element. he's a terrific middle releaver. I think you have to have a certain mentality to come in to a game in the ninth inning and finish a team off. Clearly anyone can see that fredo isn't that type. I'm really bummed that bailey got hurt because this has thrown a helluva monkey wrench into the closer situation. I won't be the least surprised if Bard doesn't end up taking that position before the home opener at fenway. I also have a feeling that Josh will be a completely different pitcher when he takes the hill in his home whites.
    IMHO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Aceves will be fine.  Other than giving up a couple of ground balls, and a HR to a future hall of famer, he hasn't done anything to be ashamed of.  Game one was a tough spot for anybody to enter the game, and he nearly got out of it.  Yesterday was an aberration.  If we got a better start from Buchholz, it would be a non-issue.

Melancon, on the other hand, concerns me.  I haven't seen anything impressive about him yet.  Right now, I'd rather see Bowden in the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

well at this point they might give him a shot. what they really need to do is put bard back in the pen. his need is greater there especially with him being unproven as a starter and Cook in AAA sitting everyone down

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

i thought he would do well as the closer, i dont blame him for game 1, he gave up a ground ball no biggie, yesterday was bad though,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He has faced five batters , and has not recorded an out. Maybe , closing is not for him. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: aceves:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: aceves : This may have been an interesting post but the second I read anything about someone's fantasy team I instinctively begin slamming my head against the table and screaming "WHY DO YOU THINK ANYONE CARES!"
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

First, because there is a Fantasy League that is made up of 16 members of this forum community. Also adds a bit of levity to the situation cosidering I am a Yankee fan and I don't feel like being attacked by the Dream Police for what I believe is an objective opinion..

As for my comment, take it for what you want. It is how I feel and I am sticking with it.