Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales

Up to now he's been underwhelming his reputation. He was supposed to spray balls all over Fenway, especially LF. He's the worst cleanup hitter in the ALE, NLE or heck MLB. If he's going to hit like OFFER-MAN, why did they make him such a big Offer, man? His line shows that he's still recovering from surgery, he getting no lift on his hits, and because he makes decent contact he'll get his hits, until he starts showing some pop, don't you think he should be dropped? Here is his Fenway hit chart:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/adrian-gonzalez/hitchart/139851

As a four or five hitter he really offers no protection, and should be placed where singles and doubles guys bat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales

But what is the alternative? Our top HR hitters include Youk, Ellsbury, and Lowrie. And Lowrie is the only one slugging over .500! Ain't much to choose from right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales:
    [QUOTE]But what is the alternative? Our top HR hitters include Youk, Ellsbury, and Lowrie. And Lowrie is the only one slugging over .500! Ain't much to choose from right now.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
     Who needs a cleanup hitter, anyways? A single's as good as a HR!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales:
    [QUOTE] Up to now he's been underwhelming his reputation. He was supposed to spray balls all over Fenway, especially LF. He's the worst cleanup hitter in the ALE, NLE or heck MLB. If he's going to hit like OFFER-MAN, why did they make him such a big Offer, man? His line shows that he's still recovering from surgery, he getting no lift on his hits, and because he makes decent contact he'll get his hits, until he starts showing some pop, don't you think he should be dropped? Here is his Fenway hit chart: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/adrian-gonzalez/hitchart/139851  As a four or five hitter he really offers no protection, and should be placed where singles and doubles guys bat.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

People must be watching political events because this is a ridiculous post.  If the whole team was hitting like Gonzales, the Sox would be in first place.  This is way down  on the list of things to be concerned about, don't you think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Actually, he's playing pretty well for a guy coming off shoulder surgery.  At the very least, it limited his off-season preparation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales : People must be watching political events because this is a ridiculous post.  If the whole team was hitting like Gonzales, the Sox would be in first place.  This is way down  on the list of things to be concerned about, don't you think?
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

But, but, chicks dig the long ball!!
    Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Can't be sure if A-Gon's shoulder is 100% strong.    It sure doesn't look like it otherwise he'd be driving the ball better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I think you have to take into acct. that Youk, Peddy and AGon are all coming off major injuries. If they dont get hurt again and get stronger the hits will become louder. It looks like Youk is hurting even now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

Rule #1 on this forum for getting noticed and starting a thread that will survive on page one for more than an hour is to:

Say something stupid, pessimistic, skeptical, cynical, and unreasonable. Sprinkle in impatience and shallow thinking. If you cover all of the preceding then posters will come running. They love this stuff. Tip of the hat to Yoikillis20. Those who like such drivel, enjoy. Others should put him onto ignore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyetheo. Show byebyetheo's posts

i agree with jimdavis. A-GON is the least of the SOX problems. anyways, since when is hitting over 300 a problem? you might want to check out the other multi-millionaire who is hitting 168.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

i didnt realize Jose Offerman was a All-star, .300avg 35+hr hitter...Gonzo is hitting .312 with 10 doubles already. Sure his slugging% is down right now, but it will be there and you will see 35+ hr at the end of the season IMO. Pedey and Youk missed a lot of last season due to injury and Gonzo has off season surgery so to expect any of them to come blazing out of the gates is not realistic. This offense will be one of the best by years end. Gonzos hitting is the least of the Sox worries.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He probably needs more time for the power to come back but it probably will. I love his swing. If he starts bopping he will carry this team for months. Ortiz has started well, and Drew. It's not all bad. We are positioned well going forward.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

If April was a bad month for AGON, then ... he must be pretty good, don't you think?  If his shoulder gets stronger as the weather warms up, then he's perfectly capable of hitting 10 HRs in May.  By years end, I'm confident that he'll have his slugging pct over .500.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

So far a tad bit dissapointing, but we've got a long, long way to go!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Power comes in streaks, AGon is a terrific hitter who is just making the adjustment to new pitchers and feeling comfortable and not flinching coming off the injury.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales:
    [QUOTE] Up to now he's been underwhelming his reputation. He was supposed to spray balls all over Fenway, especially LF. He's the worst cleanup hitter in the ALE, NLE or heck MLB. If he's going to hit like OFFER-MAN, why did they make him such a big Offer, man? His line shows that he's still recovering from surgery, he getting no lift on his hits, and because he makes decent contact he'll get his hits, until he starts showing some pop, don't you think he should be dropped? Here is his Fenway hit chart: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/adrian-gonzalez/hitchart/139851  As a four or five hitter he really offers no protection, and should be placed where singles and doubles guys bat.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Wow.  You and I are watching two different guys.  Because what I am seeing is a guy spraying teh ball everywhere.  And he may not be hitting homeruns as of yet, but he is roping doubles with that easy swing.  Thats like Manny power:  his double is the next mans single, even with no speed, because his singles stroke carries to wall or deep in the gap.  That, to me, is power.  He is driving in runs, has a seven or eight game hitting streak together.  The home runs will come.  Man, its as if some of you guys have never watched a whole season of baseball.  Guys go through peaks and troughs in all phases of the game.  And they often last a long time.  Even the greatest hitter I have ever seen with my own two eyes, Manny Ramirez, would disappear for a month a time with his hitting and power, even at his peak.  Gonzo isn't even dissapearing right now.  He's roping the ball.  I mean, if you want homeruns, lets go back to 02, 03, with everyone juiced.  You'll get a ton more and then you will think all is well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Not getting the ball out of the Infield, which is a reoccuring theme with the whole team thus far this season, with the bases loaded and not taking the outside pitch to left, as he himself admitted later, has been The ONLY Problem thus far with AGON in what will amount to be an ALLSTAR and Very Possible MVP SEASON !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's a good hitter but I never did get the "he's LH Manny" comparison.  He's not in Manny league.

Right now, I see him as a Billy Muellar less the dirtdog mentality........

The big concern has to be his shoulder.  Yeah, the claim is pitchers aren't giving him balls to turn on.  I ain't buying it.  Are you telling me that for the last several years pitchers in the NL had a different approach to him?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Although I wouldn't call the post ridiculous it's awfully close. Give the guy more than a month before the Offerman comparisons. Sure I'd drop him way down in the lineup and hit JD Drew, Salty or Crawford in his place. There are so many guys on the team with 10 plus HR's this year it will be hard to choose who will take his spot in the lineup.
    For your next post do something like John "Bob Stanley" Lester.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Like most people I thought he would have more homers by now.  I suspect the shoulder is holding him back in some way.  But over his last 14 games he's hitting .361 on 22 hits, including 8 doubles.  I think the long balls are coming soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

AGon will be just fine. He will do much better as his shoulder gets stronger.

Go Sox!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

If you believe the man himself, the shoulder is not a problem.  He says that he does not yet feel fully comfortable at the plate.  The long balls will come.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't understand this preoccupation with his HR's.  Sure, I like to watch them too, but this guy is stroking the ball!  He's hitting it squarely and hitting ropes.  I'd rather see him with 18/135 than 25/120, either of which I think are attainable for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

"Cleanup"?

When did hitting third in the lineup become "cleanup"?

-Daf. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

THe lack of pop is somewhat concerning but in each of his last 2 seasons he had long stretches without a HR, I think around 20 games both times, so maybe it is not about the shoulder.  His #'s otherwise are where we thought they would be, so we just have to hope the HR's are on the way.

Jose Awful Man.