Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales

In Response to Re: Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales:
    [QUOTE]THe lack of pop is somewhat concerning but in each of his last 2 seasons he had long stretches without a HR, I think around 20 games both times, so maybe it is not about the shoulder.  His #'s otherwise are where we thought they would be, so we just have to hope the HR's are on the way. Jose Awful Man.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

Totally.  In fact, pretty much any slugger not named Balco goes through long spells of not hitting HRs in any given year.  I believe they will come, as I am seeing power in him right now without hitting HRs.  He has been taking easy inside-out swing and driving balls to the wall or deep in gaps.  It looks like a singles swing, but they are lasers.  reminds me of Manny in that way.  The HRs will come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Gonzalez looks terrific to me.  No power yet, but you gotta love that swing and approach at the plate and how he hits to all fields.  Nice work around the bag too.  A little slow on the basepaths, but what the heck. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzalez looks terrific to me.  No power yet, but you gotta love that swing and approach at the plate and how he hits to all fields.  Nice work around the bag too.  A little slow on the basepaths, but what the heck. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, I have really loved his play at first.  Making me say "Kevin who?"  haha.  (Who was playing first?  Exactly, but now who is playing third.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

so far he's been likened to Lugo, Renteria and now Offerman....ouch!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No, to date I liken him to an incredibly overpaid Billy Muellar w/o the dirtdog mentality........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The HRs are coming.  We've only had 12 home games.  He's hit a handful on the road that would have been out in Fenway, and a 400ft ground rule double that would have been out anywhere but Fenway.  17 scheduled home games in May - the HRs are coming.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

he's leading the team in hitting and RBI.  quitcherbitchin'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Hes coming off of Shoulder surgery and is working his swing back into shape.  He will get his as the weather gets warmer and he finally gets comfortable.  And he is the #3 hitter and not cleanup.  Youk should not be hitting cleanup right now but they dont have any alternatives so this is the way things are going to be for now. 

He will be fine, hes about the only player on this team im not concerned about.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]No, to date I liken him to an incredibly overpaid Billy Muellar w/o the dirtdog mentality........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

And I liken Jed Lowrie to Ted Williams.  Who cares?  We can make comparisons of course.  But to liken anyone to anyone based on one month out of a season is silly.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Naw, it's not silly.  That's what I see so far and if he doesn't get his power stroke back due the injury (it's not like the Sox medical staff never messed up before, right?) then he reminds me of Billy.  I think that's a more assessment than Offerman; I was trying to keep in the spirit of the OP........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Naw, it's not silly.  That's what I see so far and if he doesn't get his power stroke back due the injury (it's not like the Sox medical staff never messed up before, right?) then he reminds me of Billy.  I think that's a more assessment than Offerman; I was trying to keep in the spirit of the OP........

OK, I'll roll with you in the spirit of the OP.  I'm just not seeing the Mueller or the Offerman.  The dude is stroking doubles without even taking hard rips.  To me, that is power.  Not a home run stroke yet, but power is much more than homers.  Watching a guy take an easy inside out cut and drive the ball to the wall speaks to me of power.  His homeruns will come.  In his career to date, it seems his HRs have come in bunches.  I expect that again.  Shoulder seems fine to me with the strokes he is putting on balls right now.  If anything, I think the unfamiliarity with new pitchers may have something to do with the lack of HRs, but he is still putting great wood on the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No doubt, you can't compare their swings (Muellar/Gonzo).........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt, you can't compare their swings (Muellar/Gonzo).........

In a pure swing comparison, I see Adrians easy inside out power cut as lefty Manny swing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Rule #1 on this forum for getting noticed and starting a thread that will survive on page one for more than an hour is to: Say something stupid, pessimistic, skeptical, cynical, and unreasonable. Sprinkle in impatience and shallow thinking. If you cover all of the preceding then posters will come running. They love this stuff. Tip of the hat to Yoikillis20. Those who like such drivel, enjoy. Others should put him onto ignore.
    Posted by sunslav[/QUOTE]This was an awesome post. I never thought of it that way before but you have a point, this kind of OP's do get a life all their own.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'll give you the opposite power thing in a comparison to Manny but I don't think he's in Manny's league....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Until Manny went off the rails he was headed for being one of the 10 best all-around hitters in history.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That's right.  And that ain't Gonzalez.  Not a slight to Gonzo, but top 10 is well, top 10.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I'll give you the opposite power thing in a comparison to Manny but I don't think he's in Manny's league....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Time will tell. Manny does have a cloud of PEDs surrounding him now and at a minimum played much of his prime in an era with fewer elite pitchers than the last couple of years. But his numbers (PED whispers and the lack of respect for the game stuff aside) are pure HOF material. It is early to say A-Gon is a HOFer. 

Manny had more power perhaps. That has always been the question about A-Gon because of the effect many believe had in muting A-Gon's power production.

Manny probably had the sweetest swing I have ever seen on a RH hitter. LH swings just tend to be awesome to watch when the hitter is good and A-Gon is good.

Personally I think it is very early to worry too much about Adrian Gonzalez. The HRs will come in bunches. At the end of the year I am pretty sure he will have over 100 RBI, over 30 HRs and an OPs in the mid .900. He will field his position well, run the bases slowly but with calculated thought and any statements about Adrian being Adrian won't be used to explain away bizarre behavior. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]i didnt realize Jose Offerman was a All-star, .300avg 35+hr hitter...Gonzo is hitting .312 with 10 doubles already. Sure his slugging% is down right now, but it will be there and you will see 35+ hr at the end of the season IMO. Pedey and Youk missed a lot of last season due to injury and Gonzo has off season surgery so to expect any of them to come blazing out of the gates is not realistic. This offense will be one of the best by years end. Gonzos hitting is the least of the Sox worries.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
     Jose was twice an All-Star. In his first year in Boston, he led the LEAGUE in triples, A-Gon will never do that. He had 56 extra base-hits, about the same pace Adrian is on. That being said, do I think they are comparable, no. I just wanted to call attention to his production, his spot in the line-up and suggest an alternative. On this thread he's been given a pass for all sorts of reasons, the pitchers, the line-up, the weather, the schedule, the moon phases and the tides. He's been moved from the 4 spot because he wasn't producing and some genius points out he's not a cleanup hitter! Another koolaid lip tinged
    disciple points out he's leading the team in RBI's! AND? If he wins sthe Silver Slugger award, I wonder if it will be like Adrian, teflon coated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If the power doesn't come for AGone (and not 20 HR but 30 HR) then we are not getting what we are paying for......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]If the power doesn't come for AGone (and not 20 HR but 30 HR) then we are not getting what we are paying for......
     Andy, be careful with the truth around here. A-Gon is above criticism.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If AGone tops out at 20/90 then Theo will stand at the podium and stare right through you proclaiming that this is exactly what we wanted from him and that he was worth "a tick above 154 million"....straight faced and all....I hope that doesn't happen and I don't think it will be I think you get the point......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]If AGone tops out at 20/90 then Theo will stand at the podium and stare right through you proclaiming that this is exactly what we wanted from him and that he was worth "a tick above 154 million"....straight faced and all....I hope that doesn't happen and I don't think it will be I think you get the point......
     I posted a link to his Fenway hit chart, which showed virtually nothing to LF, but the fanboys ignored that and recalled all his hits that went that way. Lets listen to Eck tonite, he'll tell the truth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He had at least one nice line drive hit to Left Center this weekened - maybe that was the only one....But he hasn't reached the Monster once yet if that's what you mean?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

You guys are going back and forth stroking each other with this ridiculousness.  I read the b!tching and moaning in every post/thread.  Christ, when do you guys get enough of the negativity.  Gonzales hits over .300 in April when EVERYONE else is struggling and you still complain.  Is this how it is all summer for you?  Is this how you were in 2007, too?