Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs

He strikes out a lot more but he hits for a lot more power as well.  Your thoughts?

162 game averages:

Boggs
    162 713 609 100 200 38 4 8 67 2 2 94 49 .328 .415 .443 .858 130 270 16 2 2 6 12

Gonzo
    162 692 606 95 177 37 2 31 103 0 0 77 123 .293 .374 .514 .888 140 311 20 4 1 5 18

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs

In Response to Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs:
    [QUOTE]He strikes out a lot more but he hits for a lot more power as well.  Your thoughts? 162 game averages: Boggs 162 713 609 100 200 38 4 8 67 2 2 94 49 .328 .415 .443 .858 130 270 16 2 2 6 12 Gonzo 162 692 606 95 177 37 2 31 103 0 0 77 123 .293 .374 .514 .888 140 311 20 4 1 5 18
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Adrian is the best trade Theo ever made and one that will help this club for years if he remains healthy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs

Boggs is one of the very few Red Sox stars I didn't like.  I thought Wade was always about Wade.  I much prefer Gonzo as a hitter and a team player.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs:
    [QUOTE]Boggs is one of the very few Red Sox stars I didn't like.  I thought Wade was always about Wade.  I much prefer Gonzo as a hitter and a team player.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Agreed but the man could rake!  He is in the Baseball HOF and deservedly so, there are plenty of worse characters there as well not that Boggs wasn't a horses patoot himself!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Absolutely, Boggs could rake.  And I wasn't complaining when he was lining singles and doubles all over the place.  Also I haven't forgotten that he had a clutch hit in 1986 Game 6.  But I could never shake the thought that he was a real me-first guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

watching him last nite my only concern with Agon is when he goes after high pitches out of the strike zone. like the one that he struck out swinging at. when he's looking down from the knees up he is total destruction. what a great time for him to re-establish his power stroke with sept coming up on us. same thing for papi. (maybe shaving off the goat had something to do with it) lol...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely, Boggs could rake.  And I wasn't complaining when he was lining singles and doubles all over the place.  Also I haven't forgotten that he had a clutch hit in 1986 Game 6.  But I could never shake the thought that he was a real me-first guy.

Anyone who refers to themself in the third person(Ricky Henderson excepted) has some "issues".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I would take Gonzo over Boggs in a heart beat.  Better fielder, better clubhouse presence, and a much better hitter.  Boggs could hit for average, but he couldn't/wouldn't hit for average and power like Gonzo.  Gonzo is a triple crown threat.

I would say that Gonzo is the best left handed hitter the Red Sox have had since Ted Williams.

By the way, when Ted Williams hit .401, he also hit 37 home runs.  To me, that makes the .401 average all the more impressive. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]watching him last nite my only concern with Agon is when he goes after high pitches out of the strike zone. like the one that he struck out swinging at. when he's looking down from the knees up he is total destruction. what a great time for him to re-establish his power stroke with sept coming up on us. same thing for papi. (maybe shaving off the goat had something to do with it) lol...
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Adrian  is not as disciplined a hitter as Boggs was(few are). He is still only 29 years old though, so perhaps he may lay off more pitches out of the strike zone eventually. He is always striving to be even better which you gotta' love!  He seems to have an almost unlimited ceiling in any case.  His positive impact on Ortiz, Pedroia and Ellsbury is also a huge plus!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]I would take Gonzo over Boggs in a heart beat.  Better fielder, better clubhouse presence, and a much better hitter.  Boggs could hit for average, but he couldn't/wouldn't hit for average and power like Gonzo.  Gonzo is a triple crown threat. I would say that Gonzo is the best left handed hitter the Red Sox have had since Ted Williams. By the way, when Ted Williams hit .401, he also hit 37 home runs.  To me, that makes the .401 average all the more impressive. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Boggs and Gonzo are certainly the two left handed hitters most like Williams in the history of the franchise.  Boggs was closer as a pure average hitter Gonzo in the balance of both average and power. Gonzo is a better person as well!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We've had some great lefty hitters, that's for sure, add in Yaz, Lynn and Papi.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]We've had some great lefty hitters, that's for sure, add in Yaz, Lynn and Papi.   

I believe Freddy Lynn would be right in there with Williams, Boggs and Gonzo had he stayed playing his entire career in Fenway Park.  His rookie season and his 1979 season are among the greatest in the history of the franchise for a lefty hitter.  He was also a legit 5 tool player and a great athlete as evidenced by his football exploits at USC!

Yaz was Yaz of course!  1967 still may be the greatest clutch season for anyone in the history of the sox and the last triple crown winner, no small feat!  Big Papi as a slugger is one of the team's all time greats as well as being the best clutch hitter since Yaz.  It is also interesting to contemplate how many points Ortiz has lost off of his batting average because of the Joe Madden shift that has been adopted by the majority of the managers in the American league.  Conservatively 15 points a season I would bet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Boggs is one of the very few Red Sox stars I didn't like.  I thought Wade was always about Wade.  I much prefer Gonzo as a hitter and a team player.   

i agree. boggs was also the most boring .300 hitter that ever lived.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

A Rare Photo of Yazzer -  2005 in Hoboken. NJ

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo rakes ... he kept making adjustments to his swing, and man did he click against Texas.  The man can flat out hit.  Who else goes through a 6 week slump and still leads the league with a .347 BA?   He never stopped hitting ... just lost his power stroke.   A joy to watch.   Our ticket to the post season is back and on track.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs : Adrian  is not as disciplined a hitter as Boggs was(few are). He is still only 29 years old though, so perhaps he may lay off more pitches out of the strike zone eventually. He is always striving to be even better which you gotta' love!  He seems to have an almost unlimited ceiling in any case.  His positive impact on Ortiz, Pedroia and Ellsbury is also a huge plus!

I am not sure i agree about Adrian not being as disciplined as Boggs.  I think he makes calculated gambles more than Wade did, so he guesses wrong sometimes.  But, I don't see that as a lack of discipline.  If you look at his mechanics, his approach, he is so consistent.  He has very specific things that he does with every kind of pitch.  I would not see he is less disciplined than Boggs.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs : I am not sure i agree about Adrian not being as disciplined as Boggs.  I think he makes calculated gambles more than Wade did, so he guesses wrong sometimes.  But, I don't see that as a lack of discipline.  If you look at his mechanics, his approach, he is so consistent.  He has very specific things that he does with every kind of pitch.  I would not see he is less disciplined than Boggs.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Adrian's rate of strikeouts shows less plate discipline than Boggs.  Ted Williams rarely fanned more than 50 times a season, Joe Dimaggio same thing, and Boggs' career average was 49 a season which is absolutely phenomenal!  I am not saying that Gonzo is not disciplined I just don't think he is as disciplined as the other's mentioned and when did Boggs Ever swing at a pitch out of the strike zone?  Never happened basically this demonstrates the absolute highest degree of plate discipline.  Williams was the same way though I did not see him play unfortunately.  These guys took heat for it as well but you have to respect people who have such strong convictions.  With the numbers they put up they knew exactly what they wanted to do in the batter's box.

In the end Boggs and Gonzo are different types of hitters though as pure hitter's there is overlap which was my original point!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Gonzo strikes out about 120 times a season, Boggs 49 Williams 50 and Dimaggio a remarkable 34!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzo strikes out about 120 times a season, Boggs 49 Williams 50 and Dimaggio a remarkable 34!

I hear that.  But, I don't see the same correlation between plate discipline and strike outs.  Of course, often times there is a clear correlation.  But, it also has to do with approach.  Boggs was a master at tightening up his swing with two strikes.  Gonzalez, while always willing to take what a pitcher is throwing and go the other way, is not willing to give up the wallbanger/moonshot because he is in a two strike count.  In this sense, Gonzalez is more of a traditional power hitter (though certainly he transcends this definition).  Boggs showed in a couple of seasons that he could be a power/HR/RBI guy, but was not willing to sacrifice his approach for this over the course of his career.  Gonzalez is different in this sense.  Now, Teddy, Teddy was the best there ever was.  He married both approaches with no problem.  Thats why he is Ted Williams.  I do not put Wade Boggs or Adrian Gonzalez in the same boat as the Spendid Splinter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs : I hear that.  But, I don't see the same correlation between plate discipline and strike outs.  Of course, often times there is a clear correlation.  But, it also has to do with approach.  Boggs was a master at tightening up his swing with two strikes.  Gonzalez, while always willing to take what a pitcher is throwing and go the other way, is not willing to give up the wallbanger/moonshot because he is in a two strike count.  In this sense, Gonzalez is more of a traditional power hitter (though certainly he transcends this definition).  Boggs showed in a couple of seasons that he could be a power/HR/RBI guy, but was not willing to sacrifice his approach for this over the course of his career.  Gonzalez is different in this sense.  Now, Teddy, Teddy was the best there ever was.  He married both approaches with no problem.  Thats why he is Ted Williams.  I do not put Wade Boggs or Adrian Gonzalez in the same boat as the Spendid Splinter.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Maybe so but the old timers were ashamed to fan a lot.  It was truly a badge of honor to strike out less than..... fill in the blank times per season and there is enormous plate discipline involved in laying off pitches not truly in the strike zone.  Pedroia also strikes out an average of only 59 times per year comparing favorably with the old timers. This is  truly amazing considering the big swing we see him toting to the plate for his "laser show" LOL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I think Boggs ranks with Damon and The Rocket. New York stars don't sign with the Sox. In the case of the Rocket, the front office blew it, but Damon and Boggs despite being good players remain in the Dog House of the Nation. That's one of the problems with being a long time fanatic. It is difficult to let go of the hatred of the evil empire. I knew The Boss personally as we are graduates of the same high school, but even in his old age he understood.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez: No less than the best pure left handed Red Sox hitter since Wade Boggs : I think Boggs ranks with Damon and The Rocket. New York stars don't sign with the Sox. In the case of the Rocket, the front office blew it, but Damon and Boggs despite being good players remain in the Dog House of the Nation. That's one of the problems with being a long time fanatic. It is difficult to let go of the hatred of the evil empire. I knew The Boss personally as we are graduates of the same high school, but even in his old age he understood.
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

Even if Boggs is never a Yankee I think he would still be reviled by many here for his very selfish MO, his pathetic sex addict admission on Oprah, and the whole Margo Adams Debacle which apparently mortified Jean Yawkey who was a very prim and proper Victorian era woman.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Gonzales was a .284 lifetime hitter coming into this season.
    Did Boggs ever hit as low as .284?
    Gonzo is having a great year, but calling him "the best player in baseball" or "the best pure hitter since Boggs", is absurd.
    Also, look up Nomar' stats sometime. Some of the greatest in his time as was ever put up by anyone in a Sox uniform. Back to back batting crowns of .357 and .374!
    Lets stop thinking that Sox baseball began in 2004, please.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzales was a .284 lifetime hitter coming into this season. Did Boggs ever hit as low as .284? Gonzo is having a great year, but calling him "the best player in baseball" or "the best pure hitter since Boggs", is absurd. Also, look up Nomar' stats sometime. Some of the greatest in his time as was ever put up by anyone in a Sox uniform. Back to back batting crowns of .357 and .374! Lets stop thinking that Sox baseball began in 2004, please.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

The thread was best "pure left handed hitter since Boggs" and I stand by the statement.  Name me one lefty hitter in the past quarter century who was markedly better than Gonzo's body of work the vast majority of it in a death valley of a hitters park with zero protection in the Padres lineup?

No one who follows the sox could forget how great Nomar was in the late 90's early 2000's.  His .372 average was the best for an AL righty since Joe Dimaggio hit an astounding .381 back in '38   Before you label me a pink hatter you should realize I have been following this team closely since the early 70's okay "Mr Baseball"!  You really are one of the more miserable posters here and a huge arrogant know it all to boot!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Oh dear! My feelings are soooo hurt. I live for what you think of my posts.

Mo Vaughn put five .300 plus seasons in a row with some serious production including an MVP.
    Let's see what Gonzalez does in his time here. I recall hearing predictions of 50 homers, among other things. He's a fine hitter, no doubt and a big plus for the Sox now and in the future.
    Plus, he seems to have a level headed approach to the game.